• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Nintendo be more severe with the "punishment" for hacking

• Just banning em from the hacked game is Ok

Votes: 306 24.2%
  • Ban em from any online service all together

Votes: 350 27.6%
  • No prisoners, Ban their console

Votes: 610 48.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Pablo Mesa

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Nintendo's got to tread carefully with system bans if they ever do it. People will just flood GameStop or eBay with seemingly working consoles that have been banned from online play. It just ends up potentially hurting legitimate customers. Nintendo probably doesn't have a banned console database (similar to an IMEI or ESN database for banned phones) that they share with retailers much less normal customers.

I don't think modding is bad if it: Doesn't affect prestige either through awarded cosmetics or account level achievements. Isn't circumventing paid DLC. Isn't adversely playing a game to win. Isn't spreading obscene or hateful things. Basically ... offline modding is fine. If you're looking to unbreak a Skyrim save or boost some rupees, it's all your prerogative on how YOU enjoy the game. Just don't dictate your prerogative on others.
Gamestop you can return the console, ebay, rule of thumb is never to buy 2nd hand hardware without someone intermediary that takes the fall (like gamestop)

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo's got to tread carefully with system bans if they ever do it. People will just flood GameStop or eBay with seemingly working consoles that have been banned from online play. It just ends up potentially hurting legitimate customers. Nintendo probably doesn't have a banned console database (similar to an IMEI or ESN database for banned phones) that they share with retailers much less normal customers.

I don't think modding is bad if it: Doesn't affect prestige either through awarded cosmetics or account level achievements. Isn't circumventing paid DLC. Isn't adversely playing a game to win. Isn't spreading obscene or hateful things. Basically ... offline modding is fine. If you're looking to unbreak a Skyrim save or boost some rupees, it's all your prerogative on how YOU enjoy the game. Just don't dictate your prerogative on others.

Dont buy second hand machine then? You own up your own risk when you purchase second hand machine.

If you dont want to had chance of buying a banned machine, then buy a brand new ones.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Dont buy second hand machine then? You own up your own risk when you purchase second hand machine.

If you dont want to had chance of buying a banned machine, then buy a brand new ones.
This sound like early Xbox one MS.

I think in that case the full responsability goes to the console reseller, they should check the consoles they buy.

Laconik

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
IT's the benignness of it though that makes this reaction weird. Yes, doing this makes sense. I understand Nintendo's reaction, I don't criticize it at all. But the delight people are showing in this thread at the punishment of other accounts seems weirdly toxic. I'm just surprised there's this much loathing for something so harmless.

Just using the word toxic isn't going to make your statement true. It isn't harmless when taken online. People work hard to afford their games and what seems harmless now will be harmful when they figure out how to hack invisibility, etc

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck 'em. If they're hacking in this then they could be hacking unobtainable weapons. Consider that this is also something that they will want to ban people for in other games. Epic won't be happy if people are hacking Fortnite to wear cosmetics that are behind paywalls

Last edited:

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I think in that case the full responsability goes to the console reseller, they should check the consoles they buy.

Lol. Early Xbone is worst lol. They literally told you to buy older machine like 360 lol.

This is totally on the consumer hand. He can purchased the platform free from all this problem for 300 bucks or he can take risk of getting a banned platform by buying it second hand on ebay for 200 bucks. It is totally all his choice.

MarineMountie

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Hope they are all banned to the point they can't play anything online and have to buy a new console.

Hackers/cheaters won't stop. They never stop. They just look for new ways to get away with it. Have to ban their console.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I have no problem with people getting banned. Don't fucking hack and then parade your hacked weapons and content around like a jackass. No one blinks when someone commits a fraud or steals out of a store and gets banned. Let them be forever offline or pony up 300 bucks for a new console.

OryoN

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
These asshats now wanna cry about the ban being too harsh? Wouldn't it be a real nice if we can commit any offense and - even if caught - get away with a mere slap on the wrist? Get real, you wet wipes!

You gotta make examples out of these people. That's the only reasoning they understand.

Upon banning the consoles, they should all:

- Spontaneously combust!
- Nintendo reps should be dispatched to the scene in haz-mat gear.
- Gather the console ashes into a secure air-tight container.
- Load container unto a rocket.
- Once orbited, fire the container into the surface of the sun.
- Solar flares should erupt from the sun spelling the phrase "LoL idiots!" for the inhabitants of the earth to see.

But hey, I guess I'll have to settle for the perma-ban. ;p

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I think they should ban consoles, ban the associated accounts (forfeiting any digital purchases), ban any other accounts that were on the console that was banned, if it was a physical game ban the game cards that were used the the game being hacked, and create a category of firmware that for banned consoles that blocks the console from playing future release titles.

Go ham. Hack an online game, you have to buy a whole new console, game card and create a new account if you want to start again, and your previous console becomes worthless. Hey you'll still have a dock and joycons you can use with the new console you have to buy, not a total loss, cheater.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I think console ban is extreme but necessary in some cases. Perhaps a strike rule of more than one hack then console id is banned. If consoles are banned then a system needs to be put into place so Gamestop and other used trade companies are not getting dud units and pushing them back out into the world.

Oct 26, 2017
Not really since you can still play games offline...there still some values in that. I thought console banning was restricting only all online features access?

Idk how the Switch's security is set up, but I know systems like the Vita had it so that you had to get the latest firmware update in order to play newer games. If you're system banned, that could stop you from being able to access newer games unless you're not locked from firmware updates.

I think console ban is extreme but necessary in some cases. Perhaps a strike rule of more than one hack then console id is banned. If consoles are banned then a system needs to be put into place so Gamestop and other used trade companies are not getting dud units and pushing them back out into the world.

The easiest way to solve this problem is for chains like Gamestop to mandate and implement a system in which they check a console to see if its locked. If so, they can deny trade-ins from consumers. It's amazing how they don't do simple shit like this to avoid losing money.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
GameStop should test units when buying. It wouldn't take long to get on wifi and boot up the eshop.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
If all a hacker is doing is changing their character model I don't think they should be banned for it, it's really on Nintendo to make sure only people who have purchased the expansion can use those models.
If they're hacking to get any sort of unfair advantage then of course they should be banned.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Actual hacks that change weapons and effect gameplay should get perma-banned from the game.

Just visual stuff should be a stiff warning with promises of banning should it happen again.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
so many people here acting like they didnt know they were walking past that line. Chill, they knew what they were doing, they will get a new account if they care.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo don't earn any money from second hand sales though, am I right? Therefore they probably don't really care about that.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda want to post nice or sweeeeeet on that tweet lol.

Well deserved tho never use hacks online.
Non online (singleplayer) hacks are fine by me tho but once you use em online get banned. It's unfair for peeps that play legit.

Last edited:

cdracingzx6r

Jan 9, 2018
One of the main reasons I moved from PC gaming to console gaming was due to cheaters ruining the PC online experience.

Nintendo should show no mercy. If people are willing to hack cosmetics, they will be willing to hack weapons, abilities, etc.

Let em burn.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eh. This way I don't have to stop playing. I can report in the app during matchmaking or when I'm done or whatever. Stopping and dropping to the menu to do it in the first game sucked.

So it's more convenient for you, so they shouldn't put it back in the game itself? I'm not arguing for its removal of the app, I'm arguing for its inclusion into the base game, seeing how it's a core function of the game. The current way enough people won't be able report people by the simple fact that either don't have/use/know the app, are still rocking a Windows Phone or don't even have a smartphone at all.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
I think they should ban consoles, ban the associated accounts (forfeiting any digital purchases), ban any other accounts that were on the console that was banned, if it was a physical game ban the game cards that were used the the game being hacked, and create a category of firmware that for banned consoles that blocks the console from playing future release titles.

Go ham. Hack an online game, you have to buy a whole new console, game card and create a new account if you want to start again, and your previous console becomes worthless. Hey you'll still have a dock and joycons you can use with the new console you have to buy, not a total loss, cheater.
Actually the joy-cons have their own firmware, so they could potentially brick those too. I'd be fine with that, hackers should be nuked into the sun at the slightest offence in my opinion.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Console ban.

Account ban.

IP ban.

xa1ygQD.gif

Life ban.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind hackers as long as they keep it in private lobbies with friends who previously agreed to play in a way that wasn't meant to be.

But once they start doing their crazy shit in public lobbies, ruining people's online experience? That's a big no.

Oct 26, 2017

Bingo, also if you buy a banned console without the seller disclosing it, that's fraud. On eBay you can get your money back easy in cases like that, likewise in stores.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe someone in here can help me with this.
I just bought a Switch again tonight after selling mine a few months back. (Hoozah!)
Guy gave me a great deal, and it came with something called "Power Save Portal" and apparently it has something to do with Amibos,
Is that how they were hacking the Squids?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Any person who uses even one single cheat once in one online videogame should have both the console itself and the account permanently banned from any online mode in any videogame ever released for the console.

I'm not against hacking the console, but cheaters? Fuck them in every way possible.

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Any person who uses even one single cheat once in one online videogame should have both the console itself and the account permanently banned from any online mode in any videogame ever released for the console.

I'm not against hacking the console, but cheaters? Fuck them in every way possible.
Online cheaters.

Scoo

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
They have already hacked the thing wide open, bans are pretty pointless when you can change your hardware UID via patched firmware.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how they're detecting this in a p2p environment. Either these people did it too much & got reported, or there is some security layer people just haven't noticed yet.

In the original Xbox days, people who hacked could go on stuff like Halo without any fear at all.

This is screwing with the game. Normal Switch users have to pay $20, wait for the DLC to come out and then beat it to play as octolings. You're not cooler by hacking your game to play as an octoling, you're just an inpatient dumbass that deserves a ban.

If they hack it themselves (not just downloading a tool) they are cooler. Everyone else is just spending $20. Not cool.