• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Nintendo be more severe with the "punishment" for hacking

• Just banning em from the hacked game is Ok

Votes: 306 24.2%
  • Ban em from any online service all together

Votes: 350 27.6%
  • No prisoners, Ban their console

Votes: 610 48.2%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
I personally support individual game bans, at least up until 3 strikes.

Console bans I am not a fan of since they can be shared among several people, but with enough infractions is makes sense.

Also, I prefer consistency. If you give someone a 5 year ban, don't convert it to lifetime around year 3 (VAC has done this in the past)

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is screwing with the game. Normal Switch users have to pay $20, wait for the DLC to come out and then beat it to play as octolings. You're not cooler by hacking your game to play as an octoling, you're just an impatient dumbass that deserves a ban.
Loss of specialness due to unauthorized use of hairstyles doesn't get a terrible deal of sympathy from me. It's not really comparable to people who break the game by giving themselves a competitive advantage (overpowered weapons, invisibility, invincibility, wall hacks, aim bots, etc.) People putting them on the same level in this thread and reacting to with with a vindictive satisfaction comes off as really weird to me.
Any person who uses even one single cheat once in one online videogame should have both the console itself and the account permanently banned from any online mode in any videogame ever released for the console.

I'm not against hacking the console, but cheaters? Fuck them in every way possible.
This is closer to piracy than cheating, there's no gameplay advantage here.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OBjCDLV.gif
Finally someone gets it

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
Loss of specialness due to unauthorized use of hairstyles doesn't get a terrible deal of sympathy from me. It's not really comparable to people who break the game by giving themselves a competitive advantage (overpowered weapons, invisibility, invincibility, wall hacks, aim bots, etc.) People putting them on the same level in this thread and reacting to with with a vindictive satisfaction comes off as really weird to me.

Good. Keep your hacked sh*t out of legit games. I remember how players would cause other people's game to crash with their hacked Octoling, in Splatoon (when their Octoling ended up in the plaza, after playing online with them). Not sure if the same is happening in Splatoon 2, but still good on Nintendo for cracking down on hackers like that.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

Just because it's cosmetic doesn't mean it won't break stuff. In the first Splatoon, this kind of hack could cause the game to crash on other people's systems.

Pretty much all online hacking carries some risk to the non-hacking players.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Just because it's cosmetic doesn't mean it won't break stuff. In the first Splatoon, this kind of hack could cause the game to crash on other people's systems.

It was actually worse than that. Splatoon (and 2) keeps track of the last 7 players you were matched with, and they hang in your lobby - this is stored in your save data. If one of those players was an Octoling, the game would fail to load, repeatedly, until the Octoling data was gone. But the only way to do that was to wipe your entire save.

It shouldn't be as bad in 2 - Octolings are actually designed to be playable, after all - but hacking can indeed have unforeseen consequences on players other than you.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are smart kids and stupid people out there so banning them from the hackd game only is enough punishment.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Sure but they still broke ToS. They still introduced unexpected variables into the game. (Take note of the people talking about issues caused in splatoon 1 in similiar cases) Which is a slippery slope. It's like saying "Oh well Tommy was only selling weed in the bathroom, it's not like it was Cocaine". Sure I get that it's obviously context based. But often these hackers as I stated above are looking to profit eventually, if you don't crack down. They will continue to take it further and further until the repercussions are severe enough.

This is very much indicative of my experiences back in the day with friends, when they used to mess around with Software/Firmware on the Xbox and then 360 later. Basically until severely punished, and the definition of that can vary. But until they basically got shut out of services rather completely they just kept going with it. They had pretty lucrative businesses hacking consoles, and then later doing some scripting and stuff. They all pretty much regret it now. But at the time, especially since nobody was really stopping them, they just kept testing/pushing the limits. A console ban, or game ban wouldn't deter them in the slightest.

https://www.wired.com/story/xbox-underground-videogame-hackers/

No these are not my friends, they were never than involved nor talented lol. But this kind of curiousity dive, then lucrative, status driven etc. Is pretty much the name of the game when it comes to hackers.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but you don't have to tell the matchmaking service that you're hacking.
I don't think you choose what info you're sending to the matchmaking server, but the game at the least sends your weapons because that's used for grouping players, so a hacked weapon should be detectable if it has a sub or special that isn't valid

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Scorched earth. Ban everything.

They seem to have followed a degree of severity vs. penalty.

The kid who had been quoted in this OP wasn't much more than an octoling script-kiddie of sorts, he's been barred from Splatoon but not anything else. (Its good to see he was also cognizant of his guilt and repercussions). This seems like the appropriate level of punishment.

Some other elements of the community who were making and using weapon mods? They've been blacklisted on the console level (I had made a comment earlier about their attempts and failure to 'undo' their bans as one could on 3DS/WiiU with NAND dumping). This seems warranted.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Ban the system, at this point the user can't be trusted. No need to risk the ecosystem.

Mar 12, 2018
Sure but they still broke ToS. They still introduced unexpected variables into the game. (Take note of the people talking about issues caused in splatoon 1 in similiar cases) Which is a slippery slope. It's like saying "Oh well Tommy was only selling weed in the bathroom, it's not like it was Cocaine". Sure I get that it's obviously context based. But often these hackers as I stated above are looking to profit eventually, if you don't crack down. They will continue to take it further and further until the repercussions are severe enough.

This is very much indicative of my experiences back in the day with friends, when they used to mess around with Software/Firmware on the Xbox and then 360 later. Basically until severely punished, and the definition of that can vary. But until they basically got shut out of services rather completely they just kept going with it. They had pretty lucrative businesses hacking consoles, and then later doing some scripting and stuff. They all pretty much regret it now. But at the time, especially since nobody was really stopping them, they just kept testing/pushing the limits. A console ban, or game ban wouldn't deter them in the slightest.

https://www.wired.com/story/xbox-underground-videogame-hackers/

No these are not my friends, they were never than involved nor talented lol. But this kind of curiousity dive, then lucrative, status driven etc. Is pretty much the name of the game when it comes to hackers.
this is exactly why i have no sympathy for bringing hacks online in ANY fashion

people will try to keep pushing the limits, ruining it for everyone else in the process

i can only hope nintendo will start punishing hackers more severely

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually surprised the poll results are so skewed towards banning the console entirely. I guess after thinking for a moment I kinda get it? Like, if someone is hacking octolings into their splatoon 2 matches then that pretty much confirms they've blown open their switch.

But on the other hand I feel that's a user's right, as long as they don't muck up more games. Which would lead me to lean towards single game bans.

But on the other OTHER hand that also means they're a hop, skip and a jump away from a system that could provide free games at some point in the near future with how fast the switch has been cracked.

I guess the strongest argument for a console ban that I can see is that these hacks can hurt other users no matter how benign, so those things shouldn't be brought into an online game ever and a zero-tolerance policy feels fair.

Zephyx

Oct 28, 2017
If cheating is done offline/single player or online but only affects the player playing the game (like modifying his skin but only he can see it), I'm OK with it. If it's done in a gameplay altering scenario in online multiplayer, the account should be banned from using any online service on that platform. Console bans seem a bit excessive as first offense.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually surprised the poll results are so skewed towards banning the console entirely. I guess after thinking for a moment I kinda get it? Like, if someone is hacking octolings into their splatoon 2 matches then that pretty much confirms they've blown open their switch.

But on the other hand I feel that's a user's right, as long as they don't muck up more games. Which would lead me to lean towards single game bans.

But on the other OTHER hand that also means they're a hop, skip and a jump away from a system that could provide free games at some point in the near future with how fast the switch has been cracked.

I guess the strongest argument for a console ban that I can see is that these hacks can hurt other users no matter how benign, so those things shouldn't be brought into an online game ever and a zero-tolerance policy feels fair.

It does not matter to us if those guy want to pirate games there. However, they better not bring it to online as those hacks can ruin others experience.

Like on Splat 1 where hackers cause other player to hard crash.

So console bans to teach that the hard way is the correct way.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

Normal players do not have the option of cheating, but hackers, even if for now only use it to essentially play paid content for free early (playing as Octolings is small scale piracy), always have the option to hack more. When Mario Tennis comes out they may say have access to the best gear day 1, and if they were only banned from Splatoon, then there will be another wait period for those they pay against until they get banned in another software, and on and on.

No tolerance. Stay sqeaky clean or get nuked. Ban the console, the accounts, lose any paid content on those accounts, ban any other accounts on that console. Hell, as someone pointed out earlier Nintendo could possibly even ban the joycons lol.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Banning someone forever from a game or online servers forever for hacking into octolings is a bit harsh for the first time. I'd put a one week to one month ban for the first and second offenses, and then banning them from online servers of that game on the 2nd or 3rd warning. 3rd could be account, and 4th could be a system ban.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Banning someone forever from a game or online servers forever for hacking into octolings is a bit harsh for the first time. I'd put a one week to one month ban for the first and second offenses, and then banning them from online servers of that game on the 2nd or 3rd warning. 3rd could be account, and 4th could be a system ban.

Too long and too much work if you ask me.

1st time account
2nd time console is a good move if u ask me.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Nah. Them doing this on Wii U caused the games to become unplayable for people without hacked consoles; it's only luck that the same didn't happen here. Besides, if they're pirating paid content then going online (which is what they're doing by using the octoling costumes) , they deserve the ban hammer anyway, regardless of what you opinion is on hacking.

If they want people to pay to play online then they have a responsibility to make sure that nobody is cheating in any form , and if someone is dumb enough to make it easy to recognise they're hacking, then they deserve to have the service removed.

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018

1) that was an urban myth afaik, I played with an Octoling towards the end of the game and was fine
2) these wouldn't carry that risk in any case because they're meant for multiplayer and not enabling a third gender like the Splatoon 1 hack

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I'm not inclined to buy Smash if I figure it's going to be the shitshow Splatoon 2 has become.

Ideally Nintendo knows that.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It isn't like somebody could "accidentally" hack his console and install hacks on it. In this case it also was piracy on top.

Mar 12, 2018
that's pretty ridiculous

giving someone a slap on the wrist for abusing online services isn't going to teach them anything. if they really want to prevent this from getting out of hand, they need to permaban hackers on the spot, no questions asked

this isn't like griefing or spamming, this could ruin every game on switch with multiplayer

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There should be an online hell where cheaters on a game are sent to play among themselves, as long as they paid for the game of course.
Tinkerers are happy because they can experiment along with like-minded chaps and rock-serious people are happy because they play among their serious peers.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
1) that was an urban myth afaik, I played with an Octoling towards the end of the game and was fine
2) these wouldn't carry that risk in any case because they're meant for multiplayer and not enabling a third gender like the Splatoon 1 hack
It's not a myth, it just didn't affect the person doing the hack. The crash was the result of an Octoling appearing in the plaza. It's a pretty straightforward example of a hack ruining things for other people.

It doesn't really matter if this is much less likely to happen in Splatoon 2 (though until the DLC actually releases, Octolings aren't guaranteed to work properly). The broader point I'm trying to make is that just because it's not really "cheating" per se doesn't make it necessarily not harmful to other players.

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018
It's not a myth, it just didn't affect the person doing the hack. The crash was the result of an Octoling appearing in the plaza. It's a pretty straightforward example of a hack ruining things for other people.

It doesn't really matter if this is much less likely to happen in Splatoon 2 (though until the DLC actually releases, Octolings aren't guaranteed to work properly). The broader point I'm trying to make is that just because it's not really "cheating" per se doesn't make it necessarily not harmful to other players.
No I meant I got an Octoling in my plaza and was fine

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
One of the main reasons I moved from PC gaming to console gaming was due to cheaters ruining the PC online experience.

Nintendo should show no mercy. If people are willing to hack cosmetics, they will be willing to hack weapons, abilities, etc.

Let em burn.

I dealt with a lot on PC as well years ago. Dayz was my favorite game, but was full of hackers. No mercy imo. I don't care what they're doing. Ban their console and see if they're interested in doing it again.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't stop these people they're just going to see how far they can push it for shits and giggles so ban consoles away. Just banning them in a game is not a solution since that will only push them to go ruin the next one. A TOS break is a TOS break, you agreed not to access the online services with a hacked/modified/whatever machine and you did, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ban the system, at this point the user can't be trusted. No need to risk the ecosystem.

Yeah I hate to be all "one bad apple spoils the bunch" here but I have zero tolerance for stuff like this. Nothing's stopping the hacker from doing this with other games too. Should just ban them from everything just to be sure.