• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap. Just like that? No fanfare? This has been a long time coming. Next Level Games has an amazing track record.

element

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to them. After years of being work for hire, has to be nice to have some stability.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Excellent, knew it was a matter of time. Let Next Level make a Wario & Waluigi game next, Nintendo!

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Somewhat surprising. I thought they'd be content just keeping them exclusive forever.

Guess they must have plans to scale them up.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, there ya go, ppl who always want Nintendo to buy studios lol
Quite a way to start the year (not that this changes that much, they already had a pretty close partnership).

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I am still playing LM3 and struggling with it a bit, but well done, extremely polished title all in all.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Interesting. I thought Nintendo didn't usually like to make straight-up acquisitions, and usually preferred to have development partners that they were simply close with. NLG already had an exclusive contract with Nintendo, so Nintendo must have some real big plans for NLG as a studio if they went the acquisition route.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Thought they'd just let them make exclusive games for them for a while without buying.

Federation Force 2 incoming

Thauros

Dec 11, 2018
I was just wondering the other day why they hadn't done this yet. Very glad that it won't be another AlphaDream situation!

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Great news! They have been in that partnership for years now, but it makes sense. They made their best games with Nintendo, apart from Sega Soccer Slam back in their Black Box days.

Oct 26, 2017
NO FUCKING WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nintendo now has their FIRST Canadian dev, and the first western dev since Retro! :D

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Big news. A sensible acquisition on their part, considering how important they are for them and how closely they work together. A bit like Sony and Insomniac Games.

Consolidation isn't really a good thing, but it's the trendy thing to do right now. With MS and Sony buying up studios, it makes sense from Nintendo's perspdctive to secure some of their own necessary third party helpers for the future (by buying them).

Hopefully they will help them get to the... well next level. Sorry. NLG showed amazing promise by producing a close to 10M seller eith LM3. I'm surr Nintendo will want to develop them further and make them a steady producer of big games.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm surprised this didn't happen already, but good for Next Level Games.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Huh, wonder why. Nintendo seems to like to just continue working with companies with exclusive contracts, and it didn't seem like these guys were going anywhere.

Jun 20, 2019
Interesting. I thought Nintendo didn't usually like to make straight-up acquisitions, and usually preferred to have development partners that they were simply close with. NLG already had an exclusive contract with Nintendo, so Nintendo must have some real big plans for NLG as a studio if they went the acquisition route.
I can certainly think of some Nintendo IP that I'd like to see revived if that's the plan.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Makes perfect sense.

Also, they are super talented and this can hopefully only lead them to more and cooler projects.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm surprised Nintendo are even interested in acquiring studios like Next Level; they were likely going to continue making Nintendo-exclusive content regardless.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
i loved NLG's version of Luigi Mansion: Dark Moon and of course the latest Part 3

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit. And an announcement late at night in the US, so tomorrow should be interesting.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And they did it without an E3 press conference?
Nah I call Fake News

/s

Good for NLG. Now they have financial security and overall nothing should really change. They commited themselves to work only with Nintendo some years back and their work on Mario Football and especially Luigis Mansion were excellent

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I wonder what the team has in the pipeline.

A new Luigi's Mansion might be too early even if it might have entered in pre-production.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
They've been making quality titles since the GameCube era. I'd assume Nintendo believes enough in the future of NLG to now officially acquire them. Hopefully they assign them titles that they know they'd excel at (please no Federation Force 2).

This may also represent a shift in priorities due to the relatively recent corporate shake-up. This may not be the only acquisition we see for the near future.