• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I mean, do we have any at all?

We've recently got Twintelle from Arms and Marina from Splatoon on the girl side which is awesome, and kinda Elma from XBX. But what about the dudes?

There's Basilio from Fire Emblem Awakening, but he's not that major and isn't playable in the main campaign. I mean, you can't even choose to be black in Fire Emblems character creator, and it's only recently been introduced in Animal Crossing, a game all about customization.

I guess they're getting better, but I wouldn't call any of them iconic despite them making some of the most recognizable video game characters.

How come? I guess we have an evil overlord in Ganondorf, kinda? Cool I guess.

I'd rather we start a movement for this rather than an evil Peach driven by hentai fans. I dunno, priorities an all that.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, Nintendo is pretty conservator, they just started showing more and more female protagonists, just give them time

Oct 25, 2017
latest

/s

OP
OP
Sea lion

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Btw I know there's minor characters like Pokemon gym leaders, but I'm talking about some iconic enough to make it into Smash / be the main protagonist if their game.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame ARMS isn't as popular as it could be. It genuinely has some good character deisgns, too.

May 1, 2018
Nintendo, as a japanese company, doesn't even feature Japanese in most of their games.
Well, inklings specifically look pretty Japanese to me in their facial features. But yeah, not Mario or Hylians.

Inklings and Octolings (who look more European) can also have a variety of skin and eye colors. My avatar has been black for the majority of my time in Splatoon, my inkling was the darkest tone before recently changing to Latino while I waffled on the octoling for a while (first darkest, then palest, then Latino/Hispanic) before settling on the chocolate-brown tone closest to Marina's.

Oct 27, 2017
Why single out Nintendo of all companies? Why not make this a general topic? Or have other Japanese companies been a lot more diverse and I've missed it? Just curious.

Vankash

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't get this request.

I was happy that ARMS featured a diverse cast.
Splatoon allows dark skinned inklings.
Btw I know there's minor characters like Pokemon gym leaders, but I'm talking about some iconic enough to make it into Smash / be the main protagonist if their game.

What Character do you suggest for Smash?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Animal Crossing, Splatoon, some FE characters and some from Pokemon, that guy in Arms, etc.
Those threads usually end up in "this doesn't count" so...

Edit: play codename steam, ever oasis...
Unless only big budget protagonists count but others don't, again, for some reason.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Animal Crossing, Splatoon, some FE characters and some from Pokemon, that guy in Arms, etc.
Those threads usually end up in "this doesn't count" so...
Animal Crossing legit doesn't count because you can't make your character "black" without going to the island and letting your game sit as your character stands in the sun for a few hours. And you gotta repeat the process often if you want to stay "black".

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the sea of EXTREMELY niche side characters in this thread is only proving the OP's point.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure why people keep posting "this is the best your going to get" considering the divulge of Black female characters over the past few years since you easily could have said that before about them. It's almost like people aren't paying attention.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Animal Crossing legit doesn't count because you can't make your character "black" without going to the island and letting your game sit as your character stands in the sun for a few hours. And you gotta repeat the process often if you want to stay "black".
I thought that wasn't the case anymore in the mobile game? The tan thing won't happen ever again after that controversy.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why single out Nintendo of all companies? Why not make this a general topic? Or have other Japanese companies been a lot more diverse and I've missed it? Just curious.

The burden doesn't solely fall on Nintendo but it's not necessarily wrong to single them out. They are an immensely recognizable brand that speaks especially to children. Having prominent, and especially playable, black characters would be a big deal. They are improving in this area, as the OP rightfully points out, but there's still a long way to go.

They changed that with Pocket Camp, where you can pick your skin tone but it sadly ranges from "very pale" to "very tan". Hopefully it improves in the Switch version, alongside hair styles.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

They changed this in both happy home designer and pocket camp to a menu choice and there's no reason to assume it will go back to that method.

BlandrewYT

Nov 27, 2017
I'm not sure why people keep posting "this is the best your going to get" considering the divulge of Black female characters over the past few years since you easily could have said that before about them. It's almost like people aren't paying attention.

I think people mean currently. Anyways, Nintendo does seem to be doing a lot for characters of color recently. Twintelle, Marina, Splatoon 2 Poster Child having tanish skin, Making Black Tethu the poster child for Ever Oasis despite the fact that you can customize both gender and skin color, etc.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
I believe pocket camp and happy home designer allow you to make your villagers black when starting the game nowadays.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Also from Punch Out:
mr_sandman_by_ask_theangelofsouls-db4h590.png

You were saying a character iconic enough to get into smash, well I don't think he'd ever get in but if they were gonna choose a Punch-Out boss it'd probably be him or King Hippo.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fixed in Happy Home Designer.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the sea of EXTREMELY niche side characters in this thread is only proving the OP's point.

Just because it's ~niche~ don't mean that it don't count. The one that I posted for example is a protagonist from a game made by Grezzo. As for an actual black protagonist, I doubt this will happen with Nintendo in a major new IP. I will be surprised if it happens.

If that is already not common in the west, in Japan that's even less since the majority on the country are japanese and asians, along that white people are the ones in the imagination of them as foreign.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Why not single out Nintendo? I've yet to play a mainline Animal Crossing game (haven't played Pocket Camp, talking about OG, Wild World, City Folk and New Leaf) where I could have a character of colour.