• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An explanation about the translation

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Cheers, appreciate it! Are you a native speaker (just to be sure)?

If you were to take that translation and turn it into something that sounds more natural, what would it look like? Because obviously "neat appearances" sounds kinda weird in English, but it must sound more natural in Chinese, right? Also, does the use of the Chinese word for "need" here have more impact in that language than it does in English? In other words, is it the type of phrasing you would use when demonstrating or protesting against something?
Yes, I am a native speaker, though I emigrated from China as a teenager, so I am not up on contemporary slang. If you want a more natural sounding English translation, I would translate it as:

"Toads need to be clean!​
Toads need peace and quiet!"​

需要 does not mean anything substantially different from "need" in this context. Both imply that what is needed is a necessity, and both can be used in the context of a protest demand or in less urgent situations. Chinese people are substantially less likely to use 需要 when it is really something that they want, not need, but that does not make a difference here.

The main part that was lost in translation is the cultural context: We associate cleanliness with economic means, and we associate peace and quiet with good governance. The lack of economic means and good governance has been the cause of rebellion many times in China's past, with the rebels explicitly naming economic calamity and civil disturbance as signs that the current dynasty has lost its right to rule.

I do not consider the Chinese version a sterile demand for better personal grooming and less noise. I consider it a bitter complaint against tyranny and a prelude to rebellion. I expect the CCP to recognize this, if they ever played/watched this portion of the game, because the government officials certainly know more about history than I do.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I am completely confused since the text is in traditional Chinese meaning this version is not localized for the mainland Chinese market. What does Tencent have to do with this? Or are people assuming that the translators for the HK/Taiwan market thought mainland Chinese people would import the game and play it in traditional Chinese and be offended by a Toad's rights joke and thus it was purposefully changed?

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I am a native speaker, though I emigrated from China as a teenager, so I am not up on contemporary slang. If you want a more natural sounding English translation, I would translate it as:

需要 does not mean anything substantially different from "need" in this context. Both imply that what is needed is a necessity, and both can be used in the context of a protest demand or in less urgent situations. Chinese people are substantially less likely to use 需要 when it is really something that they want, not need, but that does not make a difference here.

The main part that was lost in translation is the cultural context: We associate cleanliness with economic means, and we associate peace and quiet with good governance. The lack of economic means and good governance has been the cause of rebellion many times in China's past, with the rebels explicitly naming economic calamity and civil disturbance as signs that the current dynasty has lost its right to rule.

I do not consider the Chinese version a sterile demand for better personal grooming and less noise. I consider it a bitter complaint against tyranny and a prelude to rebellion. I expect the CCP to recognize this, if they ever played/watched this portion of the game, because the government officials certainly know more about history than I do.

damn,

Oct 25, 2017

This is an excellent post, thanks.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
I am completely confused since the text is in traditional Chinese meaning this version is not localized for the mainland Chinese market. What does Tencent have to do with this? Or are people assuming that the translators for the HK/Taiwan market thought mainland Chinese people would import the game and play it in traditional Chinese and be offended by a Toad's rights joke and thus it was purposefully changed?
That might be a possible use-case and a possible consideration for localization but I think it's mostly a racist assumption by people who don't know any better than Chinese = Tencent = CCP since that's common rhetoric on Era.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you, this is exactly what I meant. People who have no cultural or linguistic context won't get this. I certainly didn't.

This should be threadmarked.

Also, I'm giving the side-eye to people who were a bit too quick to jump on the "Chinese censorship!!" bandwagon. Big time.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018

This ought to be threadmarked to counter any wild speculation on the part of non Chinese speakers

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

So it's more or less a localized version of what the original was, just using terminology that is distinctly Chinese?

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash

Thank you for this insightful post.
1.This should be a threadmark
2. Title needs to be changed.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you for the translation with the cultural context. The OP Atheerios should probably threadmark this update.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's more or less a localized version of what the original was, just using terminology that is distinctly Chinese?

Looks like it, yup. It's almost like people are spouting shitty kneejerk takes out of sinophobia and/or cultural and linguistic ignorance.

There's plenty of things to be legitimately critical of/revolted at when it comes to the Chinese government without the need for bad faith criticism.

Jun 2, 2019

So uh... This thread is a nothingburger then?

The spanish version is actually more censored lol

Oct 27, 2017
It's painfully obvious who's posting now without having read the thread and who has. Not that I'm saying that post was the final word on the matter, but it provided a ton of context that so many people are going to miss just to post an "oof" or a "yikes" without even paying attention to what has been said.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it, yup. It's almost like people are spouting shitty kneejerk takes out of sinophobia and/or cultural and linguistic ignorance.

There's plenty of things to be legitimately critical of/revolted at when it comes to the Chinese government without the need for bad faith criticism.

It's especially frustrating when the OP and the twitter poster clearly did very little research into how localizations work for this series or for Nintendo games as a whole. This thread should really be closed IMO.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
Chinese native speaker here, and I think the Chinese translation is very clever in the way that the wording can literally mean two very different things at the same time. 1. It's referring to the idea that toads should have have less crease, I haven't played the game but I assume this is fit given what the game is called.. 2. It can also mean toads society need better governance/management so that to keep every toad 'clean', i.e. less corruption, less abuse, etc..

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

This needs to be Threadmarked and in the OP.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020

This is a great post, thank you!

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Chinese native speaker here, and I think the Chinese translation is very clever in the way that the wording can literally mean two very different things at the same time. 1. It's referring to the idea that toads should have have less crease, I haven't played the game but I assume this is fit given what the game is called.. 2. It can also mean toads society need better governance/management so that to keep every toad 'clean', i.e. less corruption, less abuse, etc..
Another insightful post, thank you.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Thank you for this. I definitely should've taken the insane localization intricacies into account before speaking. It's easy to forget that every dialect has their own analogues and symbols. This is a post that should be bookmarked if anyone could do so.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017

Not surprised to hear it was kneejerking without looking into it. I Was gonna note that typically, Chinese localizations are done by iQue or Nintendo HK... So anything of the sort that would be edited for the sake of avoiding mainland scrutiny, would be done for brief lines or in minor moments if done at all, instead of more major edits like whenever Tencent publishes a game and they actually edit a lot more things like assets or lengthier dialogue. (Not to mention mainland Nintendo fans have gotten pretty mad at Tencent for their slow release schedule along with the silly edits like the Pow Block in NSMBU being a thing they wasted time on to begin with.)

In fact people there are so sick of Tencent's slowass release schedule due to the approval process, that most hardcore fans down there just buy imported switches/games from the black market anyway and don't bother with the tencent switch. Lines like this just come off as a case of localization on a per territory basis rather than as an out of fear scenario. (though that doesn't mean it wouldn't be edited if Tencent wanted to bring it mainland... Which they haven't announced yet)

The fact people jumped the gun and didn't think it was a case of a line being translated differently in a bunch of different languages is telling.

It's pretty sad since there's a lot to rightfully criticize about the country and how absurd their government is, but the blatant stereotyping and sinophobia I've seen here towards developers/people living there over things like EGS and Pokemon Unite is just going too far and pretty sickening

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
is hong kong that detached from china, because the op says a hong kong new outlet is reporting it?

did they not get the localization intention? or what?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Would this be viewed as a double entendre, like if the English version referred to corrupt officials as being "crooked" (bent)?

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
This is interesting as well, it should also be threadmarked.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
is hong kong that detached from china, because the op says a hong kong new outlet is reporting it?

did they not get the localization intention? or what?

It's unfortunate but there's a very clear division between Pro-China and Anti-China camps in HK.. and you'll be amazed to read how they can interpret the exactly same event in completely opposite ways.

It's also the fact that Chinese translation doesn't mention the word 'human rights', which looks exactly the same in Kanji and Traditional Chinese and makes the news even more eye-catching.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh excuse me for not reading the entire thread.
It's the second post on this page, the page you wrote your reply on.
There are 7 posts before yours (again, on the same page) quoting it and stating that it should be threadmarked.

There's a line between "reading the entire thread" and "doing the bare minimum before posting your hot take".

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've threadmarked the explanation and updated the title as best I could.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
As usual in ERA, I always wait until more people chime in. This seems to be a case of adapting the scripts rather than censorship. OP please update the thread tittle.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I don't get the complaints in the first page, not even the English translation contained those words.

The game in Spanish doesn't use those words either, they don't even mention rights, so this is a weird thread for me.

Good thing that people who speak Chinese came here to clarified the situation a bit.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

You're right.

Also this is the global version of the game. The same version you buy in the US basically.

The game does not have an official release in Mainland China, it has not gone through the approval process there and no changes have been mandated by the Chinese government ore regulators. So I wouldn't read into this too much with the most generous interpretation being the one above and the least generous interpretation being that they could have changed it in advance of a Mainland China release.

But ultimately people are jumping to conclusions overall.

asun

Nov 10, 2017
I know it's been said multiple times, but good localization is not transliteration. Paper Mario is known for its heavy use of puns. Puns in Chinese can be super clever because they often contain multiple meanings dependent upon literal vs. colloquial use and spoken vs. written form. It makes sense that the Chinese translation would employ that.

Thanks for the native speakers here for providing that context. The knee-jerk hot takes here were extremely disturbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.