• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

Hong Kong news website reporting on this:

unwire.hk

《紙片瑪利歐》繁中版移除「自由」「人權」 與日文及英文版意思不同

有台灣玩家近日在社交網站 Plurk 上發貼文表示,指自己在進行 Switch 上一項名為《紙片瑪利歐:摺紙國王 Paper Mario: The Origami King 》的遊戲時發現,官方在翻譯「自由」以及「人權」等字詞時竟然移除了相關內容,並改以「外表」以及「生活」取而代之,惹來網民熱烈爭議。近日有台灣玩家在 Plurk 上發貼文,指其在遊玩過程中發現《紙片瑪利歐:摺紙國王》遊戲中各個語言的翻譯版本中存在一定差異,當中英文以及日文分別清晰地提及「Rights...

English version:

2cAMGVZT5UXABTp4A79qQW-1.jpg

This game hasn't even been released in mainland China.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I WANT A PLAIN OUTLOOK
I WANT A PLAIN OUTLOOK
I WANT A PLAIN OUTLOOK
I WANT A PLAIN OUTLOOK

-- rallying cry, 2020

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Localization versus Literal translation debate #983 lol.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Fuck off Nintendo

I really hate that corporations who have so much power bend over backwards for China just to make money

They really do not care about the political and human rights violations that their customers are suffering

There is no such thing as Pro Consumer

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Always remember major companies only care about inflating their numbers. Ethics are nothing in the face of profit.

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
Now that Nintendo has officially entered the China market with Switch, we will definitely be seeing more of this in the future.

Nintendo must comply with mainland censorship regulations, there is nothing that they can do about it if they want to sell in China. Everyone can get up in arms all they like, but this is a requirement and cost of doing business in China - that's the bottom line.

Edit: I read the threadmark, I understand that the English translation of the Chinese localization may have been off and I may have jumped to a conclusion regarding this instance of localization.

Last edited:

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So ummm... do we expect the same kind of criticism on Nintendo as much as Activision got?

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Looking at that twitter thread it appears as though it's Human Rights in Japan and changed for other markets (including the English translation).

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like all the various localizations say slightly different things though

Also what is the actual text in the Japanese version? Did it literally say "human rights" and not even a Toad pun? That sounds odd and incorrect

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at that twitter thread it appears as though it's Human Rights in Japan and changed for other markets (including the English translation).
Not really. It's not a literal translation, but the english localization still keeps the message of claiming for rights and being against abuse/oppresion. The chinese one, if the english translation offered in the tweet is correct, is just a personal life goal.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's fucked up, but this was always going to be the cost of doing business in China. Which to be fair, does make one question whether trying to do that in the first place was an ethical decision, but the writing has always been on the wall since they announced they were going to do business there. Just like every other company that does so.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Lol this is hysterical.

Looks like Nintendo bowed to the whims of the oppressive Western governments with their English translation too

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I think Zhuge tweeted something about Nintendo and China? Can't find the tweet, but i think it is Tencent that handles chinese localizations for Nintendo games? Could be wrong.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Why international companies do business in China, I'll never know. (yes, yes, money, but still)

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Has Nintendo China censored it themselves or was that of behalf of Chinese government?

It's probably Nintendo self censoring to avoid any kind of problems with the government. The party doesn't need to hand out too many direct bans, fear is enough.

It looks like all the various localizations say slightly different things though

Also what is the actual text in the Japanese version? Did it literally say "human rights" and not even a Toad pun? That sounds odd and incorrect

The picture is a bit small but the kanjis looks exactly like "human rights" ( 人権 )

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
The english version is still about rights, it's just been localized to be a more expressive take on the same idea

It's Toad. It's Paper Mario. I don't think Chinese people need, nor want, the Japanese to instruct them on the concepts of "freedom" and/or "rights."

I mean if it's a choice between ethics/morality and money, you're naive if you think literally any decently sized company will choose the former

This shit coming from westerners is legitimately insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.