• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Link: https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendos-switch-sales-miss-analysts-expectations-11556188080

Nintendo President and CEO Shuntaro Furukawa on Switch sales momentum:
"We believe the Switch's sales momentum remains very fast-paced," said Chief Executive Shuntaro Furukawa. "Two years have passed since its launch, and we will continue to attract more consumers to buy Switch consoles by offering a wide variety of attractive games."

Some analysts think new Switch models are coming soon based on Shipped units Vs Sell-through from the recent fiscal year results:
Analysts say the 16.95 million figure, showing the number of units that arrived at retailers, looks small when compared with the number of units bought by consumers—a figure that is estimated by outside research firms such as Japan's Gzbrain Inc. The difference hints Nintendo is getting ready to introduce new models, analysts said.

"The Switch's sales were probably larger at retail stores than Nintendo's shipment from its factories, and this suggests Nintendo is encouraging retail to reduce inventory ahead of new models," said David Gibson, chief investment adviser at Japan-based equity research provider Astris Advisory.

Furukawa declined to comment:
Mr. Furukawa declined to comment when asked about possible new models.

Furukawa on partnering with Tencent Holdings to sell Nintendo Switch in China:
Mr. Furukawa confirmed that Nintendo has teamed up with Chinese technology and videogame group Tencent Holdings Ltd. to sell the Switch in China. He said no specific date has been set because the plan is still under government review.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So, the 16.95 million figure is no sell through but rather shipments to stores?
Yeah, the rumors are definitely right, two new models coming this year.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Just to sketch the situation regarding shipment/sell-through: both Japan and US have shown a sales spike compared to the same quarter last year of more than 25%. However, shipment of this quarter is 2.46M, while the same quarter last year had 2.92M. There a big difference in situation, and the clearing of inventory ahead of a revision would make the most sense to me.

Oct 29, 2017
Nope. They will be complimenting it with a new model to increase appeal but not replacing it.

No. They are going to outright replace it with the Switch Pro. They will want the original model off the market ASAP, to get rid of all of the consoles that are security compromised. They do not want to keep them around!

Switch Pro will keep the current form factor and price (just a better version of the internal hardware), while Switch Lite be much cheaper and more like a GBA/Vita; but will keep the current specs.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. They are going to outright replace it with the Switch Pro. They will want the original model off the market ASAP, to get rid of all of the consoles that are security compromised. They do not want to keep them around!

Switch Pro will keep the current form factor and price (just a better version of the internal hardware), while Switch Lite be much cheaper and more like a GBA/Vita; but will keep the current specs.
Nintendo already released a patched bootrom revision in mid-2018 to remove the critical security flaw.

If they release a pro this year (which I don't think will happen) they will still keep the old model not replace it.

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Revised chip (With exactly the same specs) could do the work...

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

They've already fixed the security flaws in new versions of the original model a while ago.

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I could see Nintendo releasing two new SKUs by Fall 2019 to push for the holidays. I don't think that we'll see a Switch Pro with better internals, rather a Switch with a redesign, maybe a better screen or less bezels or battery life. The other SKU will probably be a cheaper model to appeal to a younger audience like the 2DS.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
??? How you can read that on those lines??
Well, it's technically already heavily rumored, this is just one more indication that points to the same thing.
They've already fixed the security flaws in new versions of the original model a while ago.
It's all about being able to sell more units at a high price and not devaluating the system. Same reason a new iPhone is released every year. If not, the natural product lifetime would dictate price drops, and directing the interest of enthusiasts toward other products.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
Switch Pro fully replacing current Switch is certainly a good explanation for the low shipment increase from FYQ3 to FYQ4. But it kinda doesn't make sense with current rumors' description of Switch Pro 'targetting enthusiasts'. So if I'm not an enthusiast, I have to go for a model that is by itself undockable?

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
I think a Lite in the fall seems likely. The summer release rumours seemed to soon for me as production takes time and usually alot of leaks once production starts which to me says it has not started yet.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Shipping less than demand certainly sounds like they are trying to get rid of units in stores. Usually when Nintendo does something like this it means a newer model is about to arrive in the coming months. They usually have 2 models on sale until they get rid of the under performing model. Then introduce a much more powerful device later, well... when it came to handhelds anyway.
The third pillar philosophy.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo already released a patched bootrom revision in mid-2018 to remove the critical security flaw.

If they release a pro this year (which I don't think will happen) they will still keep the old model not replace it.
The old model is not feasible to produce anymore. The TegraX1 chip is problematic because it uses an old process. They need to move over to a newer version, so that means that the old model will most surely get replaced.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Analysts say the 16.95 million figure, showing the number of units that arrived at retailers, looks small when compared with the number of units bought by consumers—a figure that is estimated by outside research firms such as Japan's Gzbrain Inc. The difference hints Nintendo is getting ready to introduce new models, analysts said.

"The Switch's sales were probably larger at retail stores than Nintendo's shipment from its factories, and this suggests Nintendo is encouraging retail to reduce inventory ahead of new models," said David Gibson, chief investment adviser at Japan-based equity research provider Astris Advisory.

This actually totally makes sense, because based on sales in Japan in US that were up around 40% and 30% compared to last Q1, it was expected that shipment numbers will be around 3.5-4m not 2.5m.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK

Switch models manufactured after July 2018 are not security compromised. Only models going from launch up to July 2018.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck I hope they come out with a new model soon. My OG Switch is hacked and I need an excuse to buy another for online play.