• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super dock for 199$ renders all switch games in 4k, gives more stable FPS, built in fan for extra cooling, 500gig built in storage only usable when docked

Edit: also a new switch slim for 300$ but you can buy it with a super dock bundle for 450$
a super dock isnt exactly possible as the bandwidth of the Switch's USB port is too low. all those USB GPU docks use intel's Thunderbolt spec which massively increases the bandwidth

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people outright dismiss VR. Are they unaware that Nintendo literally has a patent for a Switch VR mount? And while that doesn't mean it will actually come out, it's proof they are at the very least researching it. So there is a chance it could be that. Maybe unlikely, but still a chance, so to just "Switch VR will never happen/at least not for this version of the hardware" seems like maybe a little premature? I'm sure Nintendo has at least a small side team testing demos and concepts to check its viability. Like others have pointed out, old-ass smart phones have been doing simple VR for years at this point, I'd imagine Nintendo has similar "experiences" in testing phases. For what it's worth I agree that that seems more like a Switch 2 feature but I can't ignore the patents, they wouldn't just exist for no reason, they're definitely at least looking into it (and IIRC have even said as much).

That said, I'd imagine like others that this is more in reference to streaming services, their paid online service, new JoyCon attachments, etc etc. There was a thread on the old forum about other kinds of attachments they could make too like speakers or a camera, the JoyCon concept is so versitle they could make all kinds of shit to plug into the Switch. Trackball JoyCon? And of course the retro console inspired JoyCons with proper D-pads everyone wants (which they also have patents for).

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people outright dismiss VR. Are they unaware that Nintendo literally has a patent for a Switch VR mount? And while that doesn't mean it will actually come out, it's proof they are at the very least researching it. So there is a chance it could be that. Maybe unlikely, but still a chance, so to just "Switch VR will never happen/at least not for this version of the hardware" seems like maybe a little premature? I'm sure Nintendo has at least a small side team testing demos and concepts to check its viability. Like others have pointed out, old-ass smart phones have been doing simple VR for years at this point, I'd imagine Nintendo has similar "experiences" in testing phases. For what it's worth I agree that that seems more like a Switch 2 feature but I can't ignore the patents, they wouldn't just exist for no reason, they're definitely at least looking into it (and IIRC have even said as much).

Isn't Switch VR dismissed typically because 720p for VR is basically a no-go? I suppose it could include an extra screen in the headset but just using the Switch screen itself (which the patent specified) wouldn't work if 720p just plain doesn't work for VR.

I'm not a VR expert so I don't know how bad 720p is for VR but that's the sentiment I've been getting here (and... other places).

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
a super dock isnt exactly possible as the bandwidth of the Switch's USB port is too low. all those USB GPU docks use intel's Thunderbolt spec which massively increases the bandwidth
That's what the new switch slim will use, thunderbolt port lol, it could only be sold as a bundle that way though

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Switch VR dismissed typically because 720p for VR is basically a no-go? I suppose it could include an extra screen in the headset but just using the Switch screen itself (which the patent specified) wouldn't work if 720p just plain doesn't work for VR.

I'm not a VR expert so I don't know how bad 720p is for VR but that's the sentiment I've been getting here (and... other places).
It's not that a 720p screen makes it impossible, it's just not ideal. I'm not a VR expert either but I remember there being at least a couple threads on the old forum discussing it, and the main issue is something called screen door effect I think? Which is where if the screen isn't a high enough resolution you can see the pixels and it looks like you're looking through a screen door at the image IIRC?

There were several solutions people came up with to that, though, and again I'm sure that Nintendo is looking into that kind of thing and wouldn't release it if it wasn't "right", so nothing could come of those patents or it could take another hardware revision or two before they could do it (the Nvidia partnership was for something like 20 years right?) but I just think it's a bad call to dismiss it outright as not happening. It might become the next Vitality Sensor but that doesn't mean they aren't trying.

Oct 29, 2017
This could mean "there will be new games released in 2018" if taken literally.

I'm pretty sure that this is exactly what they are saying, ha ha.

Nintendo, I feel like, has always used similar language when it comes to their products ever since the release of the Wii.

That's not to say that we don't sometimes get the straight forward message ("new games are coming!"), but this isn't exactly the first time I feel like we've seen this PR spin on saying just that.

Yukiido

Oct 29, 2017
UK
"There will be more ways to have fun with switch"

I hope that one of those ways will be with a brand new F-Zero game.

25gort

Oct 30, 2017
I'm guessing some sort of VR?
VR doesn't really work at below 1080P, so probably not if you just slide the console into a headset. Ideally you want it to be above 1080P. Because your eyes are, are so close to the screen, you'd see the pixels a lot more. It'd not be enjoyable. But who knows. My bet is that there's virtual console news on the horizon.

Last edited: