• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
The Zelda Netflix series was widely reported on by highly reputable news outlets a few years ago and yet fell through, so I'd take this with a grain of salt until it's official.

That said, film/TV/animation deals have been a huge, gaping absence from Nintendo's expanded IP licensing initiatives over the past few years. They may simply have to give up some control to Hollywood for these things to happen.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Disney's main animation studio is the only part of Hollywood that I would trust with this movie, and they probably wouldn't care to deal with the licensing costs thanks to making billions from in-house propeties.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the Sony deal didn't happen.

I don't really want the Minons team making Mario :/ What does this mean for Mario showing up in stuff like Wreck it Ralph?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, not Illumination. After seeing how the butchered The Lorax I don't know how anyone can get onboard with them, They are the 10's equivalent to the 00's Dreamworks, but unlike dreamworks they have yet to push out a Prince of Egypt or How to Train Your Dragon film that can rank up with the best in the business. They just feel like they are in it for the money mainly (look at their upcoming slate, another Dr Suess' film with the Grinch, Minions 2, Secret Life of Pets 2 and Sing 2. That's a lot of sequels in that list, and some arguments can be made for Grinch being a Lorax sequel as well, at least it's another in the Seuss brand.)

As for the Nintendo side of the argument, I'll wait and see how that Detective Pikachu film comes out first before discussing that. If that film is still in progress, haven't heard anything from it in quite a while now.

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
Illumination Entertainment

xBGCu.gif

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, they have the assets :P

5kavBn3.gif

dSmuWvt.gif

p1F8py3.gif

I am very very cautious about this. On one hand this could be amazing if they correctly use the characters. On the other hand, it could be a disaster if they try to squeeze out generic Toads AGAIN.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also, Mario stories work best because they are very minimalist. I simply cannot see that being blown into a fully fledged movie unless the team know what they are doing and be daring with the series while celebrating it.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
You guys realize that this movie isn't aimed at you, right? It's aimed at converting kids into fans of the brand. And kids eat the shit out of Illumination's output.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This is only acceptable if Danny DeVito voices Bowser or Wario.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
Illumination Entertainment? NOOOOOOOOO

Could be worse. That Sonic movie is being made by Sony Pictures.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
No Nintendo this is how you devalue your brand.

The dramatics. You're talking about a brand that has tons of games and spinoff series of varying quality, and that is also found heavily outside of video games in toys, clothing, food, etc. But sure, this will somehow devalue the brand.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
This could be so, so good.

And also so, so bad.

I have faith they'd nail a CG animated movie though.

Why no Pixar? Too expensive? They could definitely do it justice with enough planning.

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The Zelda Netflix series was widely reported on by highly reputable news outlets a few years ago and yet fell through, so I'd take this with a grain of salt until it's official.

That said, film/TV/animation deals have been a huge, gaping absence from Nintendo's expanded IP licensing initiatives over the past few years. They may simply have to give up some control to Hollywood for these things to happen.

Do we know that it fell through, or did we just stop hearing about it?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This would have to be amazingly creative to be good.

Stick to the basics and you end up with a horrible movie of mario cutscenes linked together.

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people so pissed its Illumination? Probably the best choice after Pixar or Disney. You prefer it to be Sony Pictures?

edit: oh wait I'm confusing with Dreamworks...hmmm , well Despicable Me 1 wasn't bad

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
The Toads will make wonderful minions.

Which are more likely to be this movie's version of the minions? Toads or Yoshi?

Toads will be the new minion equivalent. Calling it now

Nah. I believe it's going to be the Koopa Troopas, because they'll be an element that helps make sure that Bowser isn't TOO threatening a force in this movie (assuming he's the main villain).

Besides, I can totally see something like this playing out:
>One Troopa kicks its friend between two pipes, sending it to rebound endlessly between them
>Audience laughs
>Post-credits scene STILL has that same Koopa trapped
>Audience laughs AGAIN

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people so pissed its Illumination? Probably the best choice after Pixar or Disney. You prefer it to be Sony Pictures?

edit: oh wait I'm confusing with Dreamworks...hmmm , well Despicable Me 1 wasn't bad

I can't see Disney and Nintendo coming to an agreement. Disney makes tons of the licenses of their characters through merchandise and if they created a Mario movie Nintendo would reap all of those benefits. Disney would be better served to have their studios working on something else, right?

If Disney is off the table, what are the other good choices?

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be more concerned about this if Nintendo hadn't repeatedly voiced they want to keep a tight leash on their movie projects specifically because even they're horrified at the abomination that happened the first time.

I expect this movie to have respect for the IP even if Miyamoto has to throttle it out of them.

Actually, look at Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle. Nintendo has pretty much proven that even if they crossed over with the Minions themselves they could still wring gold out of it just by keeping an eye on things. And that's not even what's happening here.

Not that I have much faith in anyone actually trying to make a good video game movie anymore, but geez this is a more high profile studio than anyone else that has ever taken a crack at it and the only studios higher profile than this are likely too above Nintendo to even consider a licensed movie. Give everyone involved at least some kind of benefit of the doubt.

RogersBase

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not at all shocked that Illumination is making this considering the studio's presence (specifically the Minions) in the Universal Studios theme parks. Seems like they might tie this in with the launch of Super Nintendo World.

Oct 27, 2017
I can clearly see the ending already.

All the mushroom kingdom (Bowser included) dancing and doing crazy stuff to a Demi Lovato/Selena Gomez song, one of those heavily autotuned songs that goes "WHOAH WO-WO-WO-WOAH"

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They should get the voice cast for the Mario games all in for this one. With NO reused voice clips. Would make quite the impact if used correctly.

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California
iM8xd0j.gif

Seriously though, the latest Mario game is probably the highest peak that the brand has been at in a while. Why jeopardize that with trying to create the new "Spirits Within"?

Also, nothing will top Dennis Hopper (RIP) as Bowser and Bob Hoskins (RIP) as Mario Mario.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those upset about the production company choice thinking it has anything to do with quality I point you towards this image, particularly towards the "Gross" column:

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Toads > Minions

They should do a deal with Disney

And while they're at it they should get them to commit to not renewing the Star Wars deal with EA once the 10 year deal period expires (we're 4 years through it I believe)

Jojo Leir

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People worried about Miyamoto's involvement should watch the Pikmin shorts released a few years back. They are good, cartoonish fun.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I believe it's going to be the Koopa Troopas, because they'll be an element that helps make sure that Bowser isn't TOO threatening a force in this movie (assuming he's the main villain).

Besides, I can totally see something like this playing out:
>One Troopa kicks its friend between two pipes, sending it to rebound endlessly between them
>Audience laughs
>Post-credits scene STILL has that same Koopa trapped
>Audience laughs AGAIN

That joke is too clever for Illumination.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For those upset about the production company choice thinking it has anything to do with quality I point you towards this image, particularly towards the "Gross" column:

Profitability =/= Quality.

Illumination might make money, but pretty much all their films can be considered okay at best. Their Lorax film was particularly bad.