• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Will Illumination help with mainstream success? It's animated, I don't think it will be bad. I liked secred life of pets.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, not thrilled at Illumination getting it. Most of their output has been average at best and The Lorax was a terrible adaptation. Hopefully this project doesn't get off the ground.

Don't know why Nintendo didn't approach DreamWorks Animation to do the project instead if they weren't going to simply make the film in-house. DWA are owned by Universal now, and they actually have great films as well as great adaptations under their belt. How to Train Your Dragon and Captain Underpants are excellent films.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Fucking Illumination?! The people behind shit like Minions and Life of Pets? C'mon Nintendo, you're better than this...

Honestly though, if it's not Disney/Pixar then I don't trust a western animation company with Nintendo.

Deleted member 30887

User requested account closure.
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
All Nintendo needs to do is use the Paper Mario storylines and condense them into a 2 hour film. The masses will love it and their fans will hate them for it.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Makes sense.

If the animation style is JUST like Mario Odyssey/Mario+Rabbids, I'm all for it.

If they use the Cappy plot even better!

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I am ready for another adventure with Mario Mario and Luigi Mario.

I am not ready. Please do not make it.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
USER WARNED FOR: Inflammatory Post
Shit Illumination?
The movie is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

I suppose disney/pixar is not going to touch it with a ten foot pole as they are not going to advertise a movie for a universal theme park area, but Illumination?
Why the fuck dont they use dreamworks at least. That has connections with Uni.
Bluesky was also a good option.

Like, if you study animation you will now how fucking cheap they can be. And the inhouse writers and directors are mostly trash.

This was kind of decent :
singmain.jpg

That movie is fucking insipid trash and the animation is cheap as hell. Illumination only know how to throw money to the voice cast becuase they know it works.

That's why it's actually really great, that they are being paired with one of the most creative people at the helm.

Nintendo brings in the creativity in story.
Illumination brings in the excellent animation quality.

A great movie is made. That's why this partnership could turn out so well, because Nintendo largely makes up for illumination's
faults.

Also; I am appalled that people bring up some of Illuminations worst movies, while still citing they wanted Pixar to do it. Hello? Pixar is a great studio, but they were the ones responsible for Cars, Cars 2, and Cars 3, and Planes, and the Good Dinosaur..... And Monsters University.....

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Thats how i know you dont even know what the fuck you are talking about.
Planes was never made by Pixar, and those movies arent near the fucking trash that are all of Illumination.
Saying planes is the typical Pixar hater response that shows when someone clearly doesnt know what he is talking about, so its really nice you mention it so I cant take your opinion seriously.

Lol at excellent animation quality when theres no studio out there with such subpar and mediocre animation.
Look, I hate The Good Dinosaur, despise it even, but the artstyle and anaimation of it shit from a great height any of IE movies. Cars are not even as bad as so many people want them to be, and Monster University was entertaining and again, the art and animation is such miles better than its funny how easy is to explain how wrong you are.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Only one thing:
If Charles Martinet isn't giving Mario his voice I will riot.

Thanks.

This has me the most curious. I wonder if Nintendo would really recast Mario for something like a full feature? I know at first it seems weird to hear Mario talk in full sentences with his current voice but once you've actually heard it, its not so bad. Remember the times Nintendo did those talk to Mario and Luigi things at E3 and Comicon? Charles would be hiding somewhere listening to questions and delivering them to the onlookers in Mario and Luigi's voices. At first it was weird but after about two seconds I was like yeah, Mario and Luigi can talk if they want to.

Also reminds me of when Galaxy first hit. If you preordered at Gamestop, Nintendo/Gamestop would send a fairly lengthy prerecorded message of Mario telling you thanks for buying the game, go pick it up, etc, etc. I was amazed at how natural it sounded.

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, not thrilled at Illumination getting it. Most of their output has been average at best and The Lorax was a terrible adaptation. Hopefully this project doesn't get off the ground.

Don't know why Nintendo didn't approach DreamWorks Animation to do the project instead if they weren't going to simply make the film in-house. DWA are owned by Universal now, and they actually have great films as well as great adaptations under their belt. How to Train Your Dragon and Captain Underpants are excellent films.
Shit Illumination?

I suppose disney/pixar is not going to touch it with a ten foot pole as they are not going to advertise a movie for a universal theme park area, but Illumination?

Like, if you study animation you will now how fucking cheap they can be. And the inhouse writers and directors are mostly trash.

That movie is fucking insipid trash and the animation is cheap as hell. Illumination only know how to throw money to the voice cast becuase they know it works.

Because Dreamworks has more films under production currently and Illumination has been making mondo money. I ain't a fan of Illumination aside from the first Despicable Me, but I'll give this one a chance because Nintendo is exerting creative control and that was one of their main stipulations.

That said, Charles or bust.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Because Dreamworks has more films under production currently and Illumination has been making mondo money. I ain't a fan of Illumination aside from the first Despicable Me, but I'll give this one a chance because Nintendo is exerting creative control and that was one of their main stipulations.

That said, Charles or bust.

If Nintendo is not actually putting money in the project to improve animation in that studio (and actually hiring people themselve that actually have creativity in their veins) I have zero faith on this. That or Illumination is going to have hard time when Nintendo starts trashing their work as not good enough when the final renders release like its actually happening with Super Nintendo World at Universal this last weeks that have stopped the project.

Deku

Oct 25, 2017
I can just see the minions doing the Mario theme song as part of the advertising (I'm pretty sure they won't be in the actual movie . . . hopefully).

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to c&p my thoughts on the other thread about this news.

Eh...well, I hope that they will have some decent writers and director on board this project. The last movie I saw from this studio was The Secret Life of Pets and I found it to be dull and dragging at parts, and it seemed like a knock off Toy Story. That said, I understand why Nintendo's interested in using Illumination Entertainment for a Mario movie. They have some decent animation production for the price and their movies usually bring out mad profit. Not to mention that this is an animation division of Universal and the World of Nintendo is planned to be an attraction to their parks. I just hope the movie won't be full of a lot of cheap toilet humor.

And seeing that's it is fully animated, it can't be as bad as that troubled live-action Sonic sonic movie.

Not anymore, Paramount got the rights from Sony.

But don't worry it'll probably be as worse as what Sony was intending.

Yikes! Talk abou out of the frying pan and into the fire. Sega needs all the luck and control it can get.

Yea, that was a solid movie and it really did feel like they nailed the "feel". Not familiar with their track record. Have they done anything else noteworthy?
I saw some Blue Sky mentions from the other thread also and other than the Peanuts movie, their track record is similar to Illumination. They produce the Ice Age and Rio movies and I remember seeing in some animation boards/blogs that when the news of them in charge of the Peanuts movie hit, people were worried that it would turn out terrible like the Ice Age sequels. Turns out, with the right writers and director you can make a good movie out of a studio with a dodgy record.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I enjoyed Sing. It wasn't an AMAZING movie but it was alright. Which is the best we should expect for a Mario movie from ANYONE anyway. And the original Despicable Me is a modern animated classic if you ask me, even if the sheer oversaturation of Minions on the market have made me iffy on rewatching. So I don't mind Illumination at the helm, especially with Nintendo acting as the health inspector, so to speak.

Now, if they were getting, say, Zelda or Metroid, then I'd be worried. Those would definitely have to got to a studio with better dramatic chops. But Mario is incredibly softball of a franchise to work with and is kinda in Illumination's wheelhouse anyway.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
This makes sense with the upcoming Nintendo/ universal theme park collaboration. I'm not sure if it opened in Japan yet but I know the US parks would be getting their own Nintendo section. Definitely makes sense to release right around or shortly after the movie release.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Just call back the voice actors from Super Mario Sunshine!
I want to hear Bowser talk again! And Bowser Jr
Let check IMB:
Scott Burns: Bowser
Have "been" Bowser in the spin-offs since then

Dolores Rogers: Bowser Jr/ Female Piantas/ Pianta Judge
Have "been" Bowser Jr since then

Charles Martinet: Mario/ Toadsworth/ Isle Delfino Commercial/ Male Piantas/ Pianta Attorney
WTF
So Bowser is still Bowser, except for Galaxy1+2/Odyssey!
And "Mario" did more than just Mario!

But Bowser Jr's voice was still good in SMS

It was my first 3D Mario, so it is part of my childhood

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Illumination is the animation studio equivalent of those YouTube videos your mom emails you with animals doing "funny" things. Except the movies are 90 minutes, not 90 seconds.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just call back the voice actors from Super Mario Sunshine!
I want to hear Bowser talk again! And Bowser Jr
Let check IMB:

WTF
So Bowser is still Bowser, except for Galaxy1+2/Odyssey!
And "Mario" did more than just Mario!

But Bowser Jr's voice was still good in SMS

It was my first 3D Mario, so it is part of my childhood

Actually, Bowser in games after Galaxy was always Kenny James.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
People talking about cheap animation... I've seen Despicable Me and Sing. I did not sit there in the theater thinking, "Damn, this is some cheap ass animation." You know who else won't be thinking that? The millions of children who will be converted into Nintendo fans after watching this movie and who will make their parents rush out to buy them a New Nintendo Switch XL.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Shit Illumination?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Thats how i know you dont even know what the fuck you are talking about.
Planes was never made by Pixar, and those movies arent near the fucking trash that are all of Illumination.
Saying planes is the typical Pixar hater response that shows when someone clearly doesnt know what he is talking about, so its really nice you mention it so I cant take your opinion seriously.

Lol at excellent animation quality when theres no studio out there with such subpar and mediocre animation.
Look, I hate The Good Dinosaur, despise it even, but the artstyle and anaimation of it shit from a great height any of IE movies. Cars are not even as bad as so many people want them to be, and Monster University was entertaining and again, the art and animation is such miles better than its funny how easy is to explain how wrong you are.

Dude, relax, no need to bite people's heads off. Nothings even concrete yet.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to take the time to reiterate how I reaaaally don't want this movie to have any involvement in the theme park at all.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illumination Pictures have some pretty good animation. The Lorax was especially stunning.

I am just concerned about the plot, the casting, the voice actors, and the characters.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only interested if it's in the same cinematic universe as the first Mario movie. I don't care what anyone says, that first movie is legit entertaining.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Illumination recent work of Despicable Me, Sing & Pets were amazing. So, I see they are in good hands.

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
Illumination... isn't my first choice for a studio to do a Mario movie, but if NIntendo was really impressed by whatever they brought to the table to make them want to close this deal then I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. If Miyamoto is producer and NIntendo has heavy creative input then that's even better.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going by the Pikmin and Star Fox shorts, I trust Nintendo will maintain a certain level of quality control for their animated takes on their IP

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
Illumination....yeah they'll definitely make bank from this at least lol, and it'll look great I guess (I'm aware of their cheapness in parts though).
Not confident about everything else.

Last edited:

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
the way illumination's output always manages to turn animation nerds into tantrum throwing two year olds is completely surreal.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Real question is if treehouse will be localising

I hope to see dad bowser

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
For years I've wanted a CG Mario movie. I imagined it woud be a Pixar film, but now it turns out some B-grade studio is making it...yeah suddenly I'm not so excited anymore. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a film by this studio. But I would imagine Nintendo wouldn't just let them fuck about with their most iconic IP (not anymore anyway) so maybe it'll be okay?

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For years I've wanted a CG Mario movie. I imagined it woud be a Pixar film, but now it turns out some B-grade studio is making it...yeah suddenly I'm not so excited anymore. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a film by this studio. But I would imagine Nintendo wouldn't just let them fuck about with their most iconic IP (not anymore anyway) so maybe it'll be okay?

I doubt it. Nintendo aren't that good at making stories.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I know that Illumination can be cheap at points, but they are not at the level at the studio Lionsgate approved of with Norm of the North

I doubt it. Nintendo aren't that good at making stories.

The Mother series have excellent stories seeing that they were written by known author. Also, the Mario RPGs usually have great writing. All they need to do is hire some good writers who could do a Mario movie well.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I know that Illumination can be cheap at points, but they are not at the level at the studio Lionsgate approved of with Norm of the North

The Mother series have excellent stories seeing that they were written by known author. Also, the Mario RPGs usually have great writing. All they need to do is hire some good writers who could do a Mario movie well.

Yeah, you didn't need a trained eye to see how awful that was in commercials.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I know plot is pretty minuscule in Mario games but it'll be interesting to see how it's written.

Please be better than the Ratchet movie. God I still feel I was robbed when sitting through that hogwash a year ago, and this is coming from someone who loves the games. What a disappointment.

Although I did enjoy the Angry Birds film, had some nice animation and visuals.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
...To be honest, I can sorta see this?

For a start, Illumination's Despicable Me films (+ Minions) have done decent business all around the world, even in Japan, so there's a name recognition to them bot for general audiences but also potentially to the upper management at Nintendo - they're less likely to go 'Who?' when someone on the staff mentions getting in contact with the studio. Simultaneously however as a studio Illumination don't get so much work that A) Fitting a Mario movie into the schedule would be difficult for them or lacking financial incentive vs their own projects or B) Be difficult for Nintendo, vs say, having to negotiate with Disney, who have all the money they could want from their various studios doing their own stuff right now. Thirdly, much as it is maligned here, the basic storytelling approach of the Minions film is basically in line with what I'd imagine Nintendo might want from any new Mario film project - a comedic adventure film in CGI where the protagonists talk in, at most, small soundbites. So if this actually happens, it does rather make sense to me.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
For a start, Illumination's Despicable Me films (+ Minions) have done decent business all around the world, even in Japan

That's kind of an understatement. They've done phenomenally on animation budgets of less than 100 mln USD each. The latest minions movie grossed more outside of US than Moana did worldwide. The last Descipable movie and the latest Minions spinoff grossed over a billion each. That doesn't happen that often with animation, even for Disney.

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
I think this is a natural partnership. With Miyamoto as producer (just think about his Little Black Book of Japanese animation LEGENDS...!) I'm extremely confident it will be a decent film.

To those protesting about the studio attached....they can't hear you over all their money... :p