Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
wWKDun3.png

Welcome! This is a thread in which you may discuss anything Nintendo related with fellow resetera members as well as make new friends! All we ask is that you mark spoilers appropriately with the spoiler tag.
DISCORD LINK:
https://discord.gg/kKTP7EB

OT is a work in progress.

Consoles
4aLmi0L.png
The Famicom Disk System was released exclusively in Japan in February 21, 1986 as a peripheral for the Famicom console. The Famicom Disk System used Disk Cards (proprietary floppy disks), which, at the time, offered a rather high capacity compared to cartridges and allowed true saving.

46ZczgV.png

Nintendo Entertainment System (abbreviated as NES), released in Japan as the Nintendo Family Computer (simply abbreviated as NFC), and known in Korea as Hyundai Comboy (Korean: Hyeondae Keomboi) is a Nintendo console that is considered the successor to Nintendo's Color TV Game series, and is Nintendo's first home console with interchangeable cartridges.

It is the 8-bit console that introduced various iconic franchises to the world such as: the Mario series, The Legend of Zelda series, the Mega Man series, and Final Fantasy.

JtS9Y01.png

Super Nintendo Entertainment System (officially abbreviated as Super NES and SNES), commonly known as Super Nintendo, is a 16-bit video game console developed by Nintendo. (which is special, because Nintendo practically skipped the whole 32-bit era, which was the era in which the SNES was released in).

Released by Nintendo in North America, Brazil, Europe, and Australia. In Japan, it is known as the Super Famicom. In South Korea, the Super Nintendo was distributed as the Super Comboy by Hyundai Electronics. Unlike the Hyundai Comboy, which is a renamed American NES, the Super Comboy is a renamed Japanese/European model.

C02q5Qf.png

The Virtual Boy was a failed portable video game console released in 1995 by Nintendo. The system used a monochromatic (red and black) visor that simulated a 3D view on its games. It is noteworthy for being one of the few failed products of Nintendo. It was the last product former veteran Nintendo-designer Gunpei Yokoi had developed.

2lXsYVX.png

Nintendo 64 (often abbreviated to N64 and stylized as NINTENDO⁶⁴) is Nintendo's third major home video game console. "Project: Reality" was the code-name of the console being worked on by Nintendo and Silicon Graphics (SGI) in April of 1993 to create a next-generation 3D console. In South Korea, the console was called Comboy 64 and was distributed by Hyundai, instead of Nintendo.

s56Dzbe.png

The Nintendo GameCube is a sixth generation video game console initially released on September 14, 2001 in Japan. It was developed and manufactured by Nintendo.

Nintendo first mentioned a successor to the Nintendo 64 on March 3, 1999, a day after Sony's announcement of the PlayStation 2, the successor to the Sony PlayStation One.

Two months later, on May 12, 1999, Nintendo of America's former chairman Howard Lincoln officially announced the console, which would be codenamed "Dolphin". Nintendo remained quiet for over a year about "Dolphin," preferring to focus on the Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Color at E3 2000. It wasn't until August 24, 2000, a day before Spaceworld 2000, that the company officially unveiled the GameCube, the end result of the "Dolphin" project.

w9uj6f1.png

The Wii is a seventh generation video game console created by Nintendo, and a successor to Nintendo's previous console, the GameCube. It is Nintendo's fifth major home console.

The console was initially released on November 19, 2006 in North America, and was released shortly thereafter in other countries, and eventually became the leading console in the U.S.A., Europe and Japan. With over 100 million units shipped worldwide, it is Nintendo's best-selling home console, and the 3rd best-selling home console of all time. Later on, the Wii was remade into the smaller Wii Mini.

rhZTpb2.png

Wii U, codenamed as Project Cafe, is an eighth generation video game console, the successor to the Wii, and Nintendo's sixth home console. It is the first Nintendo console capable of displaying up to 1080p high definition (HD) visuals, and utilizes a more robust online experience than its predecessor.

The system's main controller, dubbed the Wii U GamePad, features a 6.2-inch touch screen which can stream content from the console, allowing for playing away from TV, as well as asymmetrical gameplay.

xhXbhcg.png

Nintendo Switch is a ninth generation dedicated game platform developed by Nintendo.

During the reveal of their partnership with DeNA, Satoru Iwata revealed the new console. The Nintendo Switch is a portable system which can be docked for home play, effectively hybridizing home consoles and handhelds.

Joy-Con Controllers can attached to the system to work like a GamePad or used separately for multiplayer. The system is cartridge-based, storing physical copies of games on Game Cards like the Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS lines; while continuing this tradition for handhelds, it notably breaks the trend of home consoles storing games on discs.

Handhelds
SiUjuMl.png

The Game & Watch series are a total of 60 handheld video games that were released between 1980 and 1991. The games were released a year before Donkey Kong, three years before the Famicom, and a whopping nine years before the Game Boy was released. While not Nintendo's initial entry into the video game market, it was one of their most successful products in the early 80's.

After Nintendo started to develop popular series such as Donkey Kong, Mario and The Legend of Zelda, they constructed games based on these titles, and even made games that starred popular characters such as Mickey Mouse and Snoopy. The idea of the Game & Watch was conceived by Gunpei Yokoi.

UrhH2WW.png

The Game Boy (DMG-001 model) is a Nintendo manufactured portable handheld released initially in 1989. It was the first dedicated 8-bit handheld system from the company using interchangeable cartridges to play many different titles. It featured a 2.6" 4-shade LCD, stereo sound through headphones, and interchangeable cartridges. The button layout was based on that of the Nintendo Entertainment System controller.

It used 4 AA batteries, but could also be used with an AC Adapter to power the system from a wall socket. Of the many handheld systems to use ROM cartridges, the Game Boy was the most popular of its time.

uDUaI5M.png

The Game Boy Color is the successor to the Game Boy, Nintendo's third handheld system, and in some ways, the handheld counterpart of the Nintendo 64. It is similar to its predecessors, the most notable differences being that it is lighter, capable of displaying multiple colors and that the processing power is twice as fast. It is the final handheld to feature 8-bit graphics.

Some games made for the original Game Boy display more colors if played on a Game Boy Color. Other games were made exclusively for the Game Boy Color. The older versions could not play these, but the Game Boy Advance, the Game Boy Advance SP and the Game Boy Player could. It also had the shortest lifetime of a Nintendo handheld, as it was discontinued in 2003, and the last game was released later the same year.

1arrkZE.png

The Game Boy Advance is a handheld game system created by Nintendo. It is the third and final system in the Game Boy series and is Nintendo's fourth handheld system. It has backwards compatibility with the Game Boy and Game Boy Color. The palette options are exactly the same as they are on the Game Boy Color. The Game Boy Advance line has sold 81.50 million units worldwide according to Nintendo, and it was discontinued in 2008.

The console's button configuration inherits the A Button , B Button , Start Button , and Select Button buttons as well as the +Control Pad from the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color, but introduces two additional buttons: the L Button and R Button buttons. Unlike its successor, the standard Game Boy Advance does not have a backlit screen, so the player cannot see the screen in the dark without the use of external devices.

The standard Game Boy Advance is the last handheld to require two AAs and it is also the last Nintendo handheld until the Nintendo 2DS to not have a clamshell design (with the exception of the Game Boy Micro). The home console to the Game Boy Advance was the Nintendo GameCube. Its graphical capability could be likened to the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

gG1Lp3S.png

The Nintendo DS is a handheld game system released by Nintendo in 2004. The Nintendo DS is Nintendo's fourth handheld system; its predecessor is the Game Boy Advance. It features two 3-inch screens. "DS" stands for "Dual Screen" (though, at its conception, it was intended to stand for "Developer's System").

The system introduces many new features to the Nintendo handheld lineup, including a resistive touchscreen, visible operating system GUI (in the form of the main menu), stereo sound output/audio input via microphone, and wireless connection capabilities. It is also the first Nintendo handheld to support 3D polygonal graphics as opposed to only sprites.

As with previous major Nintendo handhelds, the DS and DS Lite provides backwards compatibility for Game Boy Advance games (though this does not work with the Nintendo DSi family), although only limited to single player experiences as the link cable and wireless adapter support are missing. The charger provided with the First Generation DS is the same connection as the Gameboy Advance SP. It is also the handheld counterpart of the Wii.

iJmFIiM.png

The Nintendo 3DS is the successor to the Nintendo DS produced by Nintendo. One of the console's primary features is the 3D visual screen, which displays auto-stereoscopic images to create the illusion of depth without the need for 3D glasses. The depth can be adjusted with a slider found to the right of the screen, or turned off completely to play games in 2D.

It was released in Japan on February 26th, 2011, Europe on March 25th, 2011, the United States on March 27th, 2011, and Australia on March 31st, 2011. It costs $169.99 in North America, €169,99 in Europe and £169.99 in the United Kingdom as a result of an August 2011 price drop. It is the handheld counterpart of the Wii U, with graphical capabilities likened to that of the Nintendo GameCube, but not on par with the Wii.

p3Doq0F.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

HPH

Oct 25, 2017
Gamecube is Nintendo's best console ever, after Super Nintendo :). Switch will be our savior, if there's Gamecube and Wii Virtual Console.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Bros 3 is the best Nintendo game of all time. Well, it's the best videogame of all time.

20 years after playing it for the first time, I'm still in love with this game.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
That logo is great.

2017 has to be one of my favourite Nintendo years

BotW, FE Shadows of Valentia, Splatoon 2, Metroid Samus Returns, Odyssey and Xenoblade 2.

Plus Mario + Rabbids and FE Warriors.

Nemo Skydog

Nov 2, 2017
I love N mostly for the crazy little games hidden between the big titles. Some of my favourite games ever are little shiny gems like Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say I believe Switch will be the best ever Nintendo console. We're already seeing signs of both home console and handheld style games coming together. It's going to create one heck of a library and that's awesome.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Welcome to the thread everyone, enjoy your stay.

That logo is great.

2017 has to be one of my favourite Nintendo years

BotW, FE Shadows of Valentia, Splatoon 2, Metroid Samus Returns, Odyssey and Xenoblade 2.

Plus Mario + Rabbids and FE Warriors.
Thanks! And yeah, this year is a great year to be a Nintendo fan.
Is this the company that made the Ocarina thing? They're ok in my book.
I think you're onto something! But yeah, I recall your posts which I appreciated in my Ocarina of Time thread. Lovely game that stands the test of time.
Super Mario Bros 3 is the best Nintendo game of all time. Well, it's the best videogame of all time.

20 years after playing it for the first time, I'm still in love with this game.
I've never been able to beat the game legit (it's pretty challenging!) but it really is a damn good one. I should try to in 2018.
Gamecube is Nintendo's best console ever, after Super Nintendo :). Switch will be our savior, if there's Gamecube and Wii Virtual Console.
Gamecube is like my second favorite Nintendo console. So many great games and I love the experimentation of that gen.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I am too lazy to fire up my 3DS and see what deals on games would interest me =_=

I recently ordered Mario and Luigi SS 3DS and am rather psyched to replay this lovely game.

Next year I should play some more Metroid; I did get Super Metroid when it was on sale recently for my N3DS.
Actually let me rephrase that: I only ever played Fusion and Zero Mission. I should aim to play through the entire Metroid series (M1, M2, SM, the GBA games, M2 fan remake and buy M2 3DS down the line). Does Freedom Force have an Single player mode? Any of the NDS Metroid games worth playing for that matter?

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Oh, neat, a Nintendo Community thread. Good idea!

This has really been a good year for Nintendo. The Switch. Zelda. Mario. Remakes of Metroid and Fire Emblem games, as well as two Fire Emblem spinoffs, including their biggest mobile success, and they even got the new Doom for Switch. Still pretty crazy to see that run on a handheld.

I hope the Switch can keep up its momentum, because it had a pretty crazy start.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I basically only play Nintendo now and despite other consoles having so many great games I still haven't gone out and picked up a PS4. What is wrong with me :(?

Virtu Al

Oct 25, 2017
Italy, Rome
Nintendo is always my preference. I play on every system, but with those I always or mostly seem to play catch up, as Nintendo consoles are the ones I follow as main ones. Their developement philosophy and their focus on gameplay, music and indirect narrative is something I've always appreciated.

So yeah, glad to be here! :D

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Pokemon Colosseum is the greatest JRPG of all time.

Pikmin 2 is the peak of the series.

Double Dash is second only to 8, but surpasses it in charm and OST.

Selling The Thousand Year Door is the greatest regret of my life.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I should check out this Nintendo thing. I heard good things about it.
Meh, they're ok I guess...

Just want to say I believe Switch will be the best ever Nintendo console. We're already seeing signs of both home console and handheld style games coming together. It's going to create one heck of a library and that's awesome.
I'm getting the same feeling actually.
The last system I had an unreasonable amount of love for was the Dreamcast.
The Vita started to get close but ended up fizzling out due to Sony's neglect.
With the latest announcement of Bayonetta 3, coupled with a new Metroid Prime and some of my favourite games ever releasing in just year one (Mario, Zelda and Xenoblade) not to mention tons of smaller games that are flooding in, I'm starting to get Dreamcast vibes again, which I reckoned was something I'd never see recreated in my old days. :)

First ever Nintendo console I played was a Famicom, owned by a family friend.
The first ever Nintendo game I played myself was Donkey Kong in the arcade.
Well in the small pub I grew up in in the late 70s and throughout the 80's and early 90s.

The very first Nintendo system I ever owned, and overal gaming system actually was a Popeye Game & Watch that I got when I was about 8 since I loved the arcade game so much. :)

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
First Nintendo system for me was a Gameboy.

Bought it with Super Mario Land, Wario Land II and James Bond 007. Good times.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch is my favorite console ever personally got it day one and i already have over 500 hours of playtime on it. My PS4 is off for months already, haven't mained a Nintendo console in ages :P

Anyway big Nintendo fan or well software and Hardware and devs wise i try not to be a fan of companies emselves. Anyway i grew up with their games and they truly helped me with depression, tough live situations, parents divorce, sick father, mental issues & difficulities and more.

Had a game room in my teenage years where i played games with my friends daily we played throught all Zelda games and played Smash to death also played on other consoles there. But the Zelda playthroughs together with em still is my davorite gaming memory and experience ever it was just pure joy playin through those with my friends. This was during the Wii gen btw this game room lasted 5 years and loved every sec of it! Oh i almost forgot playing through Metroid Prime Trilogy with em was awesome too! This is why i like Metroid alot.

This year has been insane for me Nintendo wise got into Splatoon (Wii U) finally wich saved me from heavy depression, played Zelda, Mario, 2D Metroid!? (still can't believe it!) Prime 4 announced (i cried lol), Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, Arms, MH Stories, Pokemon Ultra Sun and finally Xenoblade 2. It's insane how much i enjoyed these games this year was awesome AF especially Switch wise, 3ds was surprisingly nice too! Best year Nintendo Software wise imo and gaming in general also played a few fems on ps4 too most are still sealed tho playing too much on my Switch:P

I enjoy collecting Amiibo and currently have around 60+ of em will get a display case/shelf someday and put em all in there i collect them because they heavily remind me of those Smash Bros trophies and i always wanted those irl, now there is a way kinda :P

I have some Nintendo clothing a Zelda sweatpants, Zelda Tshirt, Zelda Sweater. And Some Splatoon shirts 8 of em :P 1 Callie Splatfest tee, one Marie Splatfest tee and 5 other official Nintendo licensed Splatoon shirts wich look like shirts you can buy ingame got em from Editmode japan pricy but worth it high quality shirts. Also have one with a dj octavio octopus logo wich is from aliexpress. So i got quite the merchendise:P

And finally i have a couple of Zelda tattoo's Imp Midna and a Wolf Link Head portrait on my upper right chest also got midna's true form planned for 2018 wich will hurt alot that one will be on my ribs.
Heres a pic of my Imp Midna one:
https://m.imgur.com/YDAnLDZ

I also have 2 Splatoon tats planned for 2018 and those are Marins on my left leg calf and squid sisters on my back on top not too big ofcourse. I fully thought these all out and made sure to show the art designs i loved to family and friends first. I also sought out a skilled tat artist because lets be honest on videogame tattoo's and especially characters with nice designs it's no good to save on money or quality.

The reason for the tattoo's is that i like gaming in general and because they really helped me alot in live and with mental issues especially those 2 franchises (Splatoon and Zelda i said in my post earlier why) so when i lookat those tats they are a instant smile/cheer up for me in a way. I originally was just going to get mainstream tats but i thought why not get something that actually mattered to me and did help me and means something to me. Gladly so far people irl seem to like em alot so the fear of being teased or called a nerd or whatever was dumb:P but i am sure seeking out a good artist too helped alot in that regard.

Sorry for the huge post i wanted to explain it all well :P happy to join this community. My first Ninty console was a gameboy btw loved it!

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's still so weird how Nintendo's been on a roll with the Switch, right after the disaster that was the Wii U.

In one year, the console received new, full fledged installments in series like Mario, Zelda, Splatoon and Xenoblade, a new IP in the form of ARMS, and as well as an enhanced re-release of the best Mario Kart game. Alongside them, we have popular third party games like Skyrim, DOOM, Rocket League and such hitting the system, with more coming along the way like SMTV, Megaman 11, and Wolfenstein 2. Even Dark Souls might be on the way, according to vern.

And the future is looking bright, as we know that all new Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime, and Bayonetta games will be released, along with Kirby and Yoshi and whatever more surprises Nintendo has in store.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Important Nintendo stuff happening this weekend:
+Breath of the Wild DLC is out
+ARMS Party Crash
+JPN Splatoon Splatfest
+Switch, 3DS, and Wii U titles are on sale at the eShop

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I see we have some enthusiastic posters here! Squiddo always nice to see passion and positivity and it's interesting how playing games helped your depression.

Pokemon Colosseum is the greatest JRPG of all time.

Pikmin 2 is the peak of the series.

Double Dash is second only to 8, but surpasses it in charm and OST.

Selling The Thousand Year Door is the greatest regret of my life.
Pokemon Colosseum is honestly a pretty good game, I haven't played it in a very long time but I definitely enjoyed it more than some of the newer Pokemon games.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
I know this isn't particularly a sales discussion, but how many games do you guys think will have shipped and sold 1 Million+ by the end of 2017 for the Switch?
I predict
Already there
Zelda BOTW
Mario O
Splatoon 2
Mario Kart 8D
ARMS
1 2 Switch
Pokken Tournment Deluxe
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Skyrim
Bomberman R
What about you?

Now continuing on I am interested in getting ARMS. How does it play compared to the lotion controlled fighters on Wii and Wii U?

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanna pop in and say that the Switch renewed my love my Nintendo. I haven't been interested in them outside of a few games for years but the Switch brought me back into the light.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just wanna pop in and say that the Switch renewed my love my Nintendo. I haven't been interested in them outside of a few games for years but the Switch brought me back into the light.
It's honestly my favorite console of theirs since Gamecube. Being able to 'Switch' between docked and handheld modes really is nice. I recently snagged a Pro Controller and now I'm so addicted to playing docked mode a lot more.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We need Mario Sports to come back in full force. With all new voice acting, HD graphics, lovingly crafted locales and courses and deep gameplay!

The Wii U was a glimpse of what could have been. However the Mario Sports games have been stuck in standard definition for ages!

#BringBackMarioSports

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Nice thread, I'm glad to join you guys.

I'll be the guy constantly asking for Retro to develop a StarTropics revival. There's probably like 2 more of us here.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we eatin with this switch thingy fam

i actually went back to gaming with the wii, i quitted with the ps2 in 2003 or so, too many "cinematic" stuff and overcomplicated controls. never had nintendo consoles until then, its sonyland and before that, segaland here in europe, so..

nintendo keeps it creative, fresh and fun for me, they have the best gaming studio in the world, ead, and always manage to help me lighten the mood.

i like the idea of this community, as nintendo got the funniest fans, so, lets be cool and chill, and hype whenever possible

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
We need Mario Sports to come back in full force. With all new voice acting, HD graphics, lovingly crafted locales and courses and deep gameplay!

The Wii U was a glimpse of what could have been. However the Mario Sports games have been stuck in standard definition for ages!

#BringBackMarioSports

Nintendo really needs to re-evaluate and revitalize the Mario spinoff games in general. All of them, with the exception of Mario Kart, have become hollow shells of what they once were.

Mario & Luigi has really outstayed its welcome and completely stagnated as a series, Paper Mario was murdered for M&L's sake, Mario Party's been run into the ground, and the last few Mario Tennis games have been lame, incomplete packages. Personally, I'd start by putting M&L on hiatus for a long time, and in its place, make a proper follow up to Thousand Year Door. Revert Mario Party back to the old style, and make the Tennis games actually worthwhile again.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who funds more Bayonetta games is alright in my book. So yea, these Nintendo folks are pretty cool.

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's nice to see a general Nintendo thread! Switch has become my primary console, by A huge margin so it'll be fun to discuss Nintendo with everyone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.