• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So what was the final opinion on January? Are we confident that a Direct was planned then cancelled/delayed?
The inner workings of Nintendo's scheduling is an enigma.

tumblr_m2m3vvLy9r1r0f8s0o1_400.gif

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
So what was the final opinion on January? Are we confident that a Direct was planned then cancelled/delayed?
Nah. Even the most secretive Direct needs coordination with third parties and indie developers so they know when to announce their stuff. If a Direct was cancelled, a few dozen people would have known about it. Check the time when Nintendo delayed a Direct for a week due to the earthquake to see what that would look like.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Even the most secretive Direct needs coordination with third parties and indie developers so they know when to announce their stuff. If a Direct was cancelled, a few dozen people would have known about it. Check the time when Nintendo delayed a Direct for a week due to the earthquake to see what that would look like.
That direct was leaky sure but insiders have been wrong a lot since. Nintendo may have marginalized the leaker.

Remember there was a rumored Jan 10 direct that never happened

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yep, I knew the Direct wouldn't be this week.

Looks like it's gonna be either the 2nd longest wait between major Directs or the 1st longest wait between major events in general (since Directs started).

The fuck is Nintendo doing lol

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Yep, I knew the Direct wouldn't be this week.

Looks like it's gonna be either the 2nd longest wait between major Directs or the 1st longest wait between major events in general (since Directs started).

The fuck is Nintendo doing lol

The explanation could be Nintendo will announce Switch revision in this Direct and they want to do it as late as possible in FY18. On the other hand, they have to consider also that games releasing in April/May will need at least a pair of months for advertisement.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The explanation could be Nintendo will announce Switch revision in this Direct and they want to do it as late as possible in FY18. On the other hand, they have to consider also that games releasing in April/May will need at least a pair of months for advertisement.

I'm not sure, wouldn't it have been a better idea on Nintendo's part to reveal a Switch revision before last week's briefing?

Though to be honest trying to predict why Nintendo does what it does is a fool's errand lol

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, let's say that Nintendo wants to announce this Switch... Redux before April but as late as possible. That sounds contrived, but could happen. But why would they benefit from the reveal being in the Direct?

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Okay, let's say that Nintendo wants to announce this Switch... Redux before April but as late as possible. That sounds contrived, but could happen. But why would they benefit from the reveal being in the Direct?
It's the best spotlight to reveal a revision. Also 3DS XL and then the New revisions were announced in Directs if I remember correctly.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is a better place for this question than the 1st party thread...

Diddy Kong Racing was the one Rare game I missed on N64. Is it worth hunting down the original or is the DS version good enough (or better)? I know some characters are missing on the DS version, but idk if the rest of the changes are a deal breaker.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
People keep reminding us to come in here to speculate, or put anything Direct related.

So I am here. Basking in the silence of the thread.

Today is not the day.

Plum

May 31, 2018
People keep reminding us to come in here to speculate, or put anything Direct related.

Today is not the day.

Yeah, there's no indication that there'll be an announcement today so I'm seriously doubting it'll be the case. I'd love to be wrong, but we'll see in just over 2 hours.

Ah well, it's not like I've got a ton of games left to finish. Though, as a 'Nintendo fan' I must admit that this massive period of silence is really quite frustrating.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Today is not the day.
Which is actually what it kinda should be when there is literally nothing to talk about in that regard. Discussions would be much more fruitful and worthwhile if there were actually anything of substance to even discuss, not just wild dreams.
I guess this is a better place for this question than the 1st party thread...

Diddy Kong Racing was the one Rare game I missed on N64. Is it worth hunting down the original or is the DS version good enough (or better)? I know some characters are missing on the DS version, but idk if the rest of the changes are a deal breaker.
It's definitely "good enough." It's worth remembering you're losing out on an analog stick to control the game on DS. It has more characters. Some other changes and additions here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ds/933008-diddy-kong-racing-ds/faqs/47153

Plum

May 31, 2018
Which is actually what it kinda should be when there is literally nothing to talk about in that regard. Discussions would be much more fruitful and worthwhile if there were actually anything of substance to even discuss, not just wild dreams.

Why is it that, when it comes to Directs, how "fruitful and worthwhile" the discussion is suddenly paramount? People find speculating about Directs fun and, in lieu of anything else to really talk about (there's only so many times you can go "I believe x game will be like this" or "I believe the mystery games will be x, y and z" before you need to see something of note), discussion moves towards that. Hell, right now there's the Next Gen Launch Speculation thread that, at the moment, has the majority of its discussion focused on when those consoles will be revealed instead of specs or features; what makes that different?

I've been keeping my Direct discussion here since the mod post but in no way is the silence in this thread what it "should" be, the other thread should be enough evidence to show that you're completely wrong there.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I didn't realize this thread existed :|

Been posting about playing Nintendo games in the PC thread cause I didn't know where else to post about it lmao

PCK

Oct 26, 2018
Nintendo of Europe has been tweeting up a storm today, so I have little hope for an announcement in 53 minutes.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Why is it that, when it comes to Directs, how "fruitful and worthwhile" the discussion is suddenly paramount? People find speculating about Directs fun and, in lieu of anything else to really talk about (there's only so many times you can go "I believe x game will be like this" or "I believe the mystery games will be x, y and z" before you need to see something of note), discussion moves towards that. Hell, right now there's the Next Gen Launch Speculation thread that, at the moment, has the majority of its discussion focused on when those consoles will be revealed instead of specs or features; what makes that different?

I've been keeping my Direct discussion here since the mod post but in no way is the silence in this thread what it "should" be, the other thread should be enough evidence to show that you're completely wrong there.
Just saying, most of it feels like hype-spam to pass the time, which is what I really don''t get. But I do get that it'll just keep on going no matter what.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Nintendo of Europe has been tweeting up a storm today, so I have little hope for an announcement in 53 minutes.
Maybe it's because they will announce a Direct at 4PM and they want to do the other tweets before.

But unfortunately it really seems it isn't the week. Maybe Nintendo loves us so much that the Direct will air on Valentine's Day.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just saying, most of it feels like hype-spam to pass the time, which is what I really don''t get. But I do get that it'll just keep on going no matter what.

If that's what you see it as then I guess I can't convince you otherwise, but to me your "hype spam" is just people wanting to know more and discussing when that might be the case; there's really no difference to me between discussing when the Direct may happen and when the 'PS5/Xbox Two' reveal event might happen. Honestly the "you're just going to hate it no matter what you silly Nintendo fans!" posts (usually based on the opinions of those who'd never post in a thread like that) are worse to me as they don't even attempt to create discussion. Meta-posting doesn't help either so I'm gonna leave this conversation here.

Maybe it's because they will announce a Direct at 4PM and they want to do the other tweets before.

But unfortunately it really seems it isn't the week. Maybe Nintendo loves us so much that the Direct will air on Valentine's Day.

Yeah, it could be that.

I can definitely see Nintendo trying to be cute with a "Valentine's Day Direct." It is on a Thursday this year, after all.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place, but is there somewhere of a good list of switch compatible battery packs? I've heard that the switch is very peculiar of the type of USB-C cable that is used.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The last Valentine's Direct announced the year of Luigi.
I wouldn't be opposed to a second year.

We need the year of Waluigi.

Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place, but is there somewhere of a good list of switch compatible battery packs? I've heard that the switch is very peculiar of the type of USB-C cable that is used.

This site seems like a good bet when it comes to that. Most chargers should be fine but, yeah, the Switch can be a bit fragile in that regard. It's the third party docks you've really got to worry about.

PCK

Oct 26, 2018
The fact that Emily said we will get announcements this month is keeping me pretty calm.
It's not like the games are coming out sooner if the Direct was this week, anyway.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So I've updated the 'How Long Between Directs' chart I've been working on. I changed the 'earliest possible Direct' date from the 7th to the 14th, added E3 2016 and removed the original September Direct date (because right now it wouldn't make any difference.)

0TCC0pp.png

This wait is now officially the 2nd longest we've gone between mainline Directs and the longest we've gone between major events since Directs began.

What the hell is going on at Nintendo.

Last edited:

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Guess this is just their way of trying to cover up not having anything come out in February and the only new Nintendo game release date we have is for Yoshi at the moment.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Guess this is just their way of trying to cover up not having anything come out in February and the only new Nintendo game release date we have is for Yoshi at the moment.

Surely giving the fans a bunch of games to look forward to in the future/near future would be a better way of covering up a dry season than letting people dwell on that fact by remaining so utterly silent?

I just can't see any sound business reason for this tbh.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't understand the silence either.

Makes more sense to me to do a direct in January that outlines the first half of the year as well as tease things for e3 and later in the year.

Who knows what they'll decide to do though, the point is that this is becoming more annoying than anything at this point that they don't say anything.

PCK

Oct 26, 2018
So I've updated the 'How Long Between Directs' chart I've been working on. I changed the 'earliest possible Direct' date from the 7th to the 14th, added E3 2016 and removed the original September Direct date (because right now it wouldn't make any difference.)

0TCC0pp.png

This wait is now officially the 2nd longest we've gone between mainline Directs and the longest we've gone between major events since Directs began.

I don't want to give you a bunch of extra work, but I wonder how this looks if we include game-specific Directs.
For me the wait is not feeling as long as it did last year, when the January mini-Direct was yet to arrive.
I wonder if it's because I have more games to play right now, or if the Smash Direct in November satisfied my hunger.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I don't want to give you a bunch of extra work, but I wonder how this looks if we include game-specific Directs.
For me the wait is not feeling as long as it did last year, when the January mini-Direct was yet to arrive.
I wonder if it's because I have more games to play right now, or if the Smash Direct in November satisfied my hunger.

I didn't want to include Game-Specific Directs as they're so reliant on whether you're into that specific game that it wouldn't really be fair imo. Even if you're into a game (like I am with Smash), single-game Directs don't include any new game announcements so they don't have that same 'feel.' That's why I was hesitant to include E3 2016.

This wait definitely feels a lot longer imo. Both literally (the wait's nearly been a month longer) and because Nintendo's Winter has been so heavily focused on Smash; we didn't have that trio of Bayo 1+2 and 3 that we had at the Game Awards, for example. If I'm honest this wait has made me a lot less excited for the Direct than I otherwise would have been. When it's inevitably announced it'll feel much less fun than if it had been announced when the hype was at its peak. Call me childish or crazy (or do so in a roundabout passive-aggressive manner, as is the custom on Era) but that's just how I feel right now.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018

So if the next Direct is March 7th (which would be in line with March Directs from recent years), will that be the longest wait ever, even if you don't count E3 presentations as Directs? I should be able to figure that out on my own, but my math is awful.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So if the next Direct is March 7th (which would be in line with March Directs from recent years), will that be the longest wait ever, even if you don't count E3 presentations as Directs? I should be able to figure that out on my own, but my math is awful.

My math's awful as well lol. I just used a "Time between dates" calculator for this.

As for that gap, it would be 175 days so not the longest without E3 but it would be way too close. It would still be absolutely ridiculous considering this is Nintendo of 2019 and not Nintendo of 2016 we're talking about here.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
My math's awful as well lol. I just used a "Time between dates" calculator for this.

As for that gap, it would be 175 days so not the longest without E3 but it would be way too close. It would still be absolutely ridiculous considering this is Nintendo of 2019 and not Nintendo of 2016 we're talking about here.

Yeah, that's absolutely wild. Assuming they did scrap a planned January Direct, I wonder what the hell happened. This is pretty mystifying, given all that everyone is expecting both first and third party support to improve this year.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017

0TCC0pp.png

Nothing because there's no real urgency to have a direct until maybe late march at the earliest. We're set until then basically

Plum

May 31, 2018
Nothing because there's no real urgency to have a direct until maybe late march at the earliest. We're set until then basically

It doesn't matter whether a Direct is 'urgent' or not, Nintendo shouldn't be making it so that they need an "urgent" Direct in the first place. Actually laying out your plans for more than just a single Quarter would be the best way to do that.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Late March? There's no way. Fire Emblem Three Houses — a major title — is coming in the Spring (Apr - Jun), and the hype cycle hasn't begun yet. We have no details on it beyond early E3 footage.

PCK

Oct 26, 2018
I have little doubt we will see a Direct this month.
They have not specified a release for Golden Week and I think they will not want it to be announced much later than the two and a half months before release Yoshi got.
Sure, it could just be another tweet, but the only game we have seen enough for that to be possible is DxM and I doubt that is their Golden week game.
Combine that with a rumored eShop release and Emily's claim of announcements this month and we will see something within 3 weeks.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It's definitely "good enough." It's worth remembering you're losing out on an analog stick to control the game on DS. It has more characters. Some other changes and additions here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ds/933008-diddy-kong-racing-ds/faqs/47153
Thank you very much, this was super helpful!

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I hope this doesn't happen, if it does end up happening, it seems monumentally stupid of them to do something like this.

A port and 1 new game with no concrete announcements for after it do not translate to being 'set' until April.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Blasphemous, but I almost hope there isn't a Direct next week, just so the next Three Houses info doesn't come on Valentine's. Dangerous implications there.

Plum

May 31, 2018

I know it's an unfounded fear but this post made me think. Can you imagine if we've waited all this time for a Direct only for things to leak unceremoniously beforehand?

Nah but seriously I hope this points to a Direct coming relatively soon. If it's just a Yoshi/Kirby/Daemon X Machina event then that would be ridiculous. If it's just a Labo event to reveal Labo 4 then, seriously, what is up with Nintendo this year...

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018

When you get older, you will learn to appreciate the silent moments. Sure beats trying to follow a fifty-posts-a-minute thread where half the stuff is nonsense about otters and pizza.
Hangouts are where thread goes to die <.< >.>
I like to think of them as exclusive clubs where only the people smart enough to use the "Watch" feature get to join.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019

Personally, the wait feels longer. But that's because I didn't care a whole lot about the Smash Direct. Even though I do like smash, I didn't really care to see what characters would be revealed or look at specific mechanics. E3 burned me out on Smash, especially since there wasn't anything else at E3 that was exciting for me.

Regardless, maybe Nintendo is considering that as a big direct and for that reason they saw no reason to do a direct in January. If you count the Smash direct in November, it will have been 105 days since the last direct on Feb 14th. That would push it just over the normal average for direct waits. If you were looking at possible Thursdays in February, I think Valentine's day always makes a lot more sense than Feb 7th.