• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PCK

Oct 26, 2018
Yeah, I think i know why I'm not nearly as hungry for a Direct right now. It's not so much that we had a Smash Direct, but we already know so much.
Last year we came from Mario and Zelda and had pretty much no clue what would release that year. It was the first time we were in the unknown since October 2016.
This year we already know that AC and LM3 are coming and they are some of my favorite series. They will release when they release and when we hear about them, doesn't really influence that. I'm looking forward to Yoshi in Q4, FE3H in Q1, probably AC in Q2 and I am interested in finally playing a mainline Pokémon game in its year of release.
I guess I get hyped for new announcements in Directs the most. And since I am not in need of those I'm not to peeved that I have to wait for a Direct.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
Yeah, I think i know why I'm not nearly as hungry for a Direct right now. It's not so much that we had a Smash Direct, but we already know so much.
Last year we came from Mario and Zelda and had pretty much no clue what would release that year. It was the first time we were in the unknown since October 2016.
This year we already know that AC and LM3 are coming and they are some of my favorite series. They will release when they release and when we hear about them, doesn't really influence that. I'm looking forward to Yoshi in Q4, FE3H in Q1, probably AC in Q2 and I am interested in finally playing a mainline Pokémon game in its year of release.
I guess I get hyped for new announcements in Directs the most. And since I am not in need of those I'm not to peeved that I have to wait for a Direct.

Yeah, that makes sense. Personally, AC is my favorite Nintendo franchise by far, so I am just hungry to hear anything about it. I would take a full AC direct over a general any day, but I highly doubt that will happen anytime soon, so I'm just hoping that the general has SOMETHING on AC. Just let me see the graphics and maybe even a release window?

Anyways, I'm a pretty firm believer in a Valentine's Day direct. While I could be totally wrong, I think that it's either going to be Valentine's Day or Feb 28th, which would be March 1st in Japan. If you're crazy like me, you know the ridiculous theory about March 1st. (AC teaser, Tom Nook, 1/3 -> March 1st)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
They just reiterated at the investor Q&A that no 2019 titles would be delayed — and Fire Emblem is one of the only 2019 games with a known release window.

They said games wouldn't be delayed past 2019. I think Three Houses would probably be delayed by several months, not a whole year.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
the only thing I could even see us needing a direct for that would be "After the show" stuff would be FFVII/IX on Switch or the SNES games. That's literally it. I'm hoping for the SNES games but at this rate the chance of them launching this month is less and less likely

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeah, that makes sense. Personally, AC is my favorite Nintendo franchise by far, so I am just hungry to hear anything about it. I would take a full AC direct over a general any day, but I highly doubt that will happen anytime soon, so I'm just hoping that the general has SOMETHING on AC. Just let me see the graphics and maybe even a release window?

Anyways, I'm a pretty firm believer in a Valentine's Day direct. While I could be totally wrong, I think that it's either going to be Valentine's Day or Feb 28th, which would be March 1st in Japan. If you're crazy like me, you know the ridiculous theory about March 1st. (AC teaser, Tom Nook, 1/3 -> March 1st)

What exactly is this theory?

dan2501

Feb 6, 2019
Started looking at replacement shell cases for my Joycons. I'm keen on white and the main brand that I keep seeing on most stores is Myriann - anyone used these particular shell cases? Or is there another brand I should be looking at?

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
What exactly is this theory?

It's a bit crazy.

At the end of the last direct (September 13), during the AC teaser, Tom Nook is sitting in the dark at his desk. When his computer screen shuts off, the room is dark and he goes to turn on the lamp. He clicks the button on it one time and it doesn't come on, he then hits it 3 more times for it to come on.

People have been analysing that trailer like crazy because it's all we know of AC, so there's a theory that the lamp clicks mean 1/3 (like a date) and if we're looking at March 1st in Japan, that's the typical day for a direct (Friday in Japan, Thursday in US/Europe). It's possible, just unlikely.

dan2501

Feb 6, 2019
You're welcome! I've been thinking about acquiring a pair of white Joy-Con myself, but the cost and risk is a bit to manage haha.

Yeah, little hesitant to do it as all the videos of people doing it drill home the point that patience is key and that's not my strongest point xD I've ordered DBrand white skins but having seen a few pics of Joycons with skins on they don't look great so not 100% sure it's going to give me the desired effect. I'll try them first, and if they don't look great I'll invest in replacement shells and just pray I don't break anything :D

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It's a bit crazy.

At the end of the last direct (September 13), during the AC teaser, Tom Nook is sitting in the dark at his desk. When his computer screen shuts off, the room is dark and he goes to turn on the lamp. He clicks the button on it one time and it doesn't come on, he then hits it 3 more times for it to come on.

People have been analysing that trailer like crazy because it's all we know of AC, so there's a theory that the lamp clicks mean 1/3 (like a date) and if we're looking at March 1st in Japan, that's the typical day for a direct (Friday in Japan, Thursday in US/Europe). It's possible, just unlikely.

I see! I figured that it alluded to the fact there isn't a new villager in town to help him keep the lights on!

Yeah, little hesitant to do it as all the videos of people doing it drill home the point that patience is key and that's not my strongest point xD I've ordered DBrand white skins but having seen a few pics of Joycons with skins on they don't look great so not 100% sure it's going to give me the desired effect. I'll try them first, and if they don't look great I'll invest in replacement shells and just pray I don't break anything :D

That is the exact feeling I have come away with after watching similar videos. I have looked into the dbrand skins, but they do not seem to offer the precision finish I would expect from their usual offerings. Have you thought buying a custom Joy-Con instead? If you are willing to spend a bit over $100, there are sellers on Etsy that do a bang up job.

GravyFingerz

Feb 5, 2019
SoCal
I think Nintendo is just gonna reuse the direct from last January and try to fool us into thinking that Super Smash Bros is being released this holiday on Switch for the first time. That game would do very well on the Switch.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019

Yeah, it's definitely not a fast or easy thing to do. You should have some sort of experience working with electronics before you do the joy-con shell replacement, I think. I actually just got my replacement shells in. I ordered them on Amazon, they're the BassTop brand. I'm going to replace them this weekend, but I can already tell that they're good quality, so I would suggest that brand to you.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I know they are different games and different genres, but if I were in the mood to play a meaty JRPG type game on Switch, would you suggest Valkyria chronicles 4 or Tales of Vesperia?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I know they are different games and different genres, but if I were in the mood to play a meaty JRPG type game on Switch, would you suggest Valkyria chronicles 4 or Tales of Vesperia?

Can't go wrong with either. Both have vast amounts of content.

I'd say pick whether you want a tactical RPG or an action RPG.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Direct talk.

I'm pretty happy with the direct. Link's Awakening re-imagining looks great. Mario Marker 2 looks great, but I may not buy it if it required NSO unless there is enough content in the base game to make it worthwhile.

I really would love Pikmin 3! Looks like a good game.

I'm very amused no one posted here about the Direct. That's good though. I don't like how every Nintendo thread turns in to Direct talk, and Direct threads keep getting started.

We should endevour to keep all Direct speculation in the OT: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...on-ot-a-thread-about-something-read-op.98257/

Looks like that thread while be reopened after a while, and maybe it should be added to the OP of this thread.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Direct talk.

I'm pretty happy with the direct. Link's Awakening re-imagining looks great. Mario Marker 2 looks great, but I may not buy it if it required NSO unless there is enough content in the base game to make it worthwhile.

I'm very amused no one posted here about the Direct. That's good though. I don't like how every Nintendo thread turns in to Direct talk, and Direct threads keep getting started.

We should endevour to keep all Direct speculation in the OT: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...on-ot-a-thread-about-something-read-op.98257/

Looks like that thread while be reopened after a while, and maybe it should be added to the OP of this thread.
Funny enough, the admins wanted to move all direct speculation here but no one came over so they made that thread to alleviate the First Party thread.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Games I'm most looking forward to:
  • Yoshi's Crafted World. I didn't even know Yoshi got a spin off on the SNES and on until I heard about Wooly World, and I did't have a Wii U so I was late to hearing about it.
  • Luigi's Mansion 3. Never played one before, looks like fun. Don't know why I skipped it on the GameCube, but I didn't play many games back then anyway.
  • Link's Awakening. I love Zelda but never owned a handheld system until the Switch. I nearly always use it docked.
  • SteamWorld Quest. Love SteamWorld and the developers. Not much of a fan of RPGs. But I trust Image & Form to transcend their genre. So I will probably give it a shot.
  • Super Mario Maker 2. Unless it required NSO online, which is likely. Then maybe not...
  • Maybe DYSMANTLE, the Zelda, Stardew Valley, Subnautica, Steamworld Dig, and Dark Souls mashup survival game from 10tons Ltd.
You can check out my hype list.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Direct talk.

Yep! Should be reopened Monday, per Nibel.

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
anyone have a recommendation for a pro like a controller with paddles on the back (like the steam controller/xbox elite controller)? I don't own a pro controller yet and I'd like to buy one with the paddles for easier playing.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone by any chance have any of the assets from Eternal Darkness? I've been searching, but can only find really low quality stuff and hope someone might by any chance now a good place or has it.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Thanks for all the input. I haven't got time to pop over to Kyoto for the pilgrimage. In Tokyo I'll have to visit game shops and see what the best Nintendo march I can find.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So anyone else who can't login on the Nintendo Europe website? My Nintendo works fine, but the normal website keeps looping on the main page.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone with a Wii U check if the YouTube App still works? I think google silently killed it 2 days ago, everything else works perfectly and I only know of one other person who has the same problem and it began at the same time.