• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Not kidding...

6TtQo1.png

What is their integrated hardware-software model:

WOJx1z.png

Also regarding new technology:

e1iGkq.png

More information about R&D from the Q&A:

From today's briefing:

Last edited:

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What a long-winded way of saying "We'll continue to do what we're already doing."

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
... So, were 3ds and Wii U not part of this strategy then? That's some subtle shade on the previous gen in that slide.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
There's a new Nintendo console and the sky is blue. Thanks Nintendo

in all seriousness glad to have it confirmed!

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Whew, I'm thankful for the confirmation. I was getting worried there with all of the silence.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
OH boy, what comes first, the release of Nintendo Next Gaming System, or the PS5 price?

;D

God i need that PS5 price ... i want to preorder and be done thinking about it until it launches.

HollowCrown

Sep 26, 2018
I feel like they knew that even saying '202X' would launch us into a speculation frenzy...

Either that or they think they might be able to milk the Switch into the 2030's

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Nothing silly with this.

between cloud gaming and mobile gaming, Nintendo confirms that they intend to keep doing dedicated gaming system. It's an investor slide, not a slide made for gamers and they should know that even if that's common knowledge for us.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
One thing to note is how close Wii and Switch are together, along with Nvidia's comments about a ~20 year partnership, it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo was going to have multiple hardware refreshes for the Switch and we won't see it replaced until sometime in the NEXT decade (203X). When they can do something like cast (or project) the games from a watch to the TV (or wall), track your health and let you play Ring Fit Adventure 4 via your watch actions, or some such crazy way to keep Nintendo with you.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
... So, were 3ds and Wii U not part of this strategy then? That's some subtle shade on the previous gen in that slide.
DS/Wii---->Switch

Feels like we're forgetting someone...
Even Nintendo forgets about the WiiU.

Dunno where the 3DS went, though...
I think they're kinda grouped with DS/Wii - and also why they went with 20xx and not 202x. They're a continuation, and I took this slide as Nintendo concluding they'll need to get away from the Switch model... eventually. 20XX is for whatever they do that's not a straight up Switch successor, not the Switch 2.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
We've reached peak Nintendo. I can't wait for these slides to show up in Nintendo Console prediction threads used both sarcastically and as earnest new information.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think they're kinda grouped with DS/Wii - and also why they went with 20xx and not 202x. They're a continuation, and I took this slide as Nintendo concluding they'll need to get away from the Switch model... eventually. 20XX is for whatever they do that's not a straight up Switch successor, not the Switch 2.
Hm, that could be the case. A bit too little evidence to conclude that for sure, of course, but right now we know absolutely nothing for sure about the Succ.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
It's great confirmation that they're going to continue doing what they do best by not chasing the competition with powerful hardware & put more effort in innovation. It's how they succeeded with Wii, DS & now Switch.

Also, it doesn't come as a surprise that they're erasing Wii U from their memory/history & wants to forget all about it. It's been the worst selling platform since GameCube & Virtual Boy (at 13.56 million sold worldwide). It's also one of the main reasons why they've ported the majority of Wii U games over to the Switch with extra content, especially as a lot of people haven't played them before. And if you also think about it, 3DS is also a failure in comparison to the DS.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, that could be the case. A bit too little evidence to conclude that for sure, of course, but right now we know absolutely nothing for sure about the Succ.
I hate that word.

If it's not clear, I'm not stating the next system won't be a Switch successor; just that the 20XX means they expect to have a new model sometime this century, which is a very reasonable take.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This sounds ridiculous until you realize their investors are always expecting them to drop out of hardware any minute.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Also, it doesn't come as a surprise that they're erasing Wii U from their memory/history & wants to forget all about it. It's been the worst selling platform since GameCube & Virtual Boy. at 13.56 million worldwide.
Wait, are we really doing this nonsense in this thread too?

capture2pkrb.png

They're not ashamed to show it like they are the very Virtual Boy you mentioned.