• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ASarafanov

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Japan
Many people were confused about Xenoblade 2 Torna - The Golden Country (Physical Version) description after E3 2018. Today Nintendo officially confirmed it as a standalone project, which you can buy and play without owning [base] Xenoblade 2 game.

Dj7M7EAX0AEsWW2.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1026483089374101506

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't this known ever since Torna got a physical version? Or was there still speculation.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you have ANY interest in Xenoblade 2 though, I would highly recommend that you play this after 2, even though it's billed as a prequel. 2 is a fantastic game.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent idea. While I thought the plot of XC2 was mostly pretty good, there were definitely a lot of aspects that I could see turning people off from giving the game a chance.

The Golden Country seems to be a lot less fan-servicey in terms of the writing and character design based on what I've seen from the trailers, and it looks like the battle system is going to have some cool enhancements.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I think you also get the rest of the XC2 expansion pass with the standalone, just as a download code separate from the cardtridge.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
So will I be able to buy it on it's own on the eShop without having to get the rest of the expansion pass too?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Excellent idea. While I thought the plot of XC2 was mostly pretty good, there were definitely a lot of aspects that I could see turning people off from giving the game a chance.

The Golden Country seems to be a lot less fan-servicey in terms of the writing and character design based on what I've seen from the trailers, and it looks like the battle system is going to have some cool enhancements.
Jin is the husbando of all my friends who are girls so I guess according to who you ask ;)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was always cleared up.

Torna Golden Country - stand alone, dont need XC2
XC2 bonus content - need the expansion pass, included in the Golden Country physical release

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think this was cleared up well at all during E3, considering the swarm of questions about it. This picture is more direct than the fine print going on in other trailers / pics.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm really confused now.

https://www.base.com/buy/product/xe...ountry-nintendo-switch/dgc-xbladec2goldns.htm

I assume this listing is incorrect because it says:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna Golden Country Nintendo Switch Game

Contains a code to download*:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna The Golden Country New to the story? Get the stand-alone version of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna The Golden Country.

Content of the packaged version of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna The Golden Country is the same as the additional story included in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Expansion Pass.

Packaged version only contains the additional story, Xenoblade 2 Torna The Golden Country.

Please Note: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is not included but required to play

Seems to imply you also NEED XC2?

I'm really confused now.

https://www.base.com/buy/product/xe...ountry-nintendo-switch/dgc-xbladec2goldns.htm

I assume this listing is incorrect because it says:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna Golden Country Nintendo Switch Game

Contains a code to download*:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna The Golden Country New to the story? Get the stand-alone version of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna The Golden Country.

Content of the packaged version of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna The Golden Country is the same as the additional story included in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Expansion Pass.

Packaged version only contains the additional story, Xenoblade 2 Torna The Golden Country.

Please Note: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is not included but required to play

Seems to imply you also NEED XC2?
You need 2 to take advantage of the DLC token that's included for the rest of the expansion pass content. Torna itself is on the card.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how it will play together with the main game. I hope there will be content that you can use your main party for(sort of like the CM arena), the ability upgrade aux core slots and Blades that can be used in present day. Hoping for

Haze or full power Jin, though not hopeful for Malos

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
im one of those whom quit XB2 after like 20 hours. willing to give this a shot based on the price point and it being a more compact game. hopefully launch reviews will go into detail if its really standalone and if you should buy it if you are a quitter, which i heard a ton of people did with the main game.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that was unclear to me was whether or not the physical release came with a cartridge.

I saw people saying both yes and no, which confused me...I'm still confused

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
im one of those whom quit XB2 after like 20 hours. willing to give this a shot based on the price point and it being a more compact game. hopefully launch reviews will go into detail if its really standalone and if you should buy it if you are a quitter, which i heard a ton of people did with the main game.

It's a prequel, set several hundred years before the maingame, but there's actually no way the story is completely standalone. There are quite a few past cutscenes in the main XB2 game and I suspect it will give away some plot twists and character motivations from 2 that were supposed to be reveals there.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Does the UK version not come with a code for the season pass? I don't see it mentioned here:

6Bpc4QN.jpg

While it is mentioned here:

fJKDjMs.jpg

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are the custom difficulty settings that came with the patch only available if you have the expansion pass? I don't have the expansion pass, but I see no "custom" difficulty" option.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so the code you get also has the whiole expansion pack? Including Torna?