• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Wasn't 2019 the year that 3rd Party developers after seeing the success of the switch in 2017, we would be getting much more support? I mean we're seeing a bit of that but...

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There are some good games I got out of this direct:

Mario Maker 2 is a safe buy
Box boy and girl looks awesome
Really happy that I didn't start Toad yet, I'm gonna play it in co-op now :)
Smash update before April is nice
Yoshi is still a might buy
Mortal Kombat looks pretty great

Have to wait a bit for more on the Platinum game, looks alright though
Other than that a lot of games that are not too interesting to me right now but still look pretty great. Like DQ and Yoshi.

Good direct!

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing this direct needed was a couple of AAA western third-party port announcements. I wouldn't be surprised if there is another general direct in April.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So the Switch is looking pretty stacked this year for content. And that's still leaving Pokemon and Animal Crossing on the table.

The only thing this direct needed was a couple of AAA western third-party port announcements. I wouldn't be surprised if there is another general direct in April.

See I'm expecting a Smash Direct in April and then the next proper Direct for E3.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
As much as we Metroid fans like to say we're being shat on, we've had four excellent games and 2 great remakes in the same amount of time that Pikmin fans have had three excellent games. So you know... calm your tits.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I waited until this year to buy Mario Maker on 3DS since it was on sale. I'm sold on Mario Maker 2.
Yoshi demo? Sweet
Tetris 99, awesome
Final Fantasy IX today! I'll consider depending on the price.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Finally all caught up. Gotdamn that was a good direct. Maybe the best ever?

Just a ton of content and most of it coming this year.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I think the big question is...are we getting another Direct before E3? Because if not, E3 is going to be very crowded. And Pokemon Gen 8 will overshadow everything else at E3.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dis gonna be a damn good year for Switch

giphy.gif

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the big question is...are we getting another Direct before E3? Because if not, E3 is going to be very crowded. And Pokemon Gen 8 will overshadow everything else at E3.
I'll take the bet we will have another general direct before E3. Nintendo has too many games to talk about and they can't save them all for E3.

dearodie

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't bother with the original Mario Maker, so I'm curious, how was the community created content? Was it good for the most part or was it like LBP where you have to dig through mounds of shit to actually find great levels?
Sadly the latter in my experience.
There were a few Nintendo official level designers, and I generally stuck to them, because the rest was a lot of trolling crap, or super easy.
The official designers generally made easy levels so you could unlock character costumes and the like.
I haven' t touched this game in years, ended being either frustrating or felt like work with little reward for the time spent designing levels.
Will skip on this one ... unless there is a story mode of sorts.
I wish they had invested the time and ideas on this for a new 2D mario rather, oh well.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
probably one of my favorite directs honestly

Three houses looks awesome
Astral Chain looks awesome
shadowdrops for DXM demo and FF9 were cool
Bloodstained looks great and we finally have a release window
Rune Factory
Smash announcement of an announcement (presumably)

that was a lot of fun to watch

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
What about the resident evil games? There are 3 coming this year RE4, RE1 and RE0 yet no mention of them, meanwhile Final Fantasy ports get all the time (most certainly because they have never been released on Nintendo platforms again, but still). I expected the RE games to be spread out throught the year, seems they might be packed.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon probably won;t have a big presence at E3. It will most likely be revealed in a Pokemon Direct (probably on Pokemon Day) and only get a small trailer + one or two appearances on Treehouse Live @ E3.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017

For sure. They'll need to do a spotlight on Mario Maker, other titles happening in May/June, and I think they'll wanna tee up either Luigi's Mansion or announce a summer/early fall game before E3.

My guess is mid-April

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
They have to have another direct before E3 so they can announce Metroid Prime Trilogy...

/s

For real though they'll need something to tease for a blowout, presuming that's not Pokemon Gen 8.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When is the last time they've said anything about this? Last thing I can remember was Jan 17 when the Switch was announced.
The producers talked a few times about it before and it had a second teaser. But considering how the game is MIA and Nintendo doesn't seem interested to promote it, I'm expecting it to be having production problems or the target date is just ridiculously far away.

Very frustrating situation to go 2 years like this and almost no hope to see it again anytime soon.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take the bet we will have another general direct before E3. Nintendo has too many games to talk about and they can't save them all for E3.

I'm starting to think the same. The Smash Ultimate 3.0 update that they teased, Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Town, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Star Fox Grand Prix (if it even exists), Pikemin 3 remaster, etc. This is all way too much to cover at E3 (minus Smash stuff since it would already be out) especially when you consider that Pokemon Gen 8 is going to be the feature game.

I would not be surprised at all if we got another Direct in mid April.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to think the same. The Smash Ultimate 3.0 update that they teased, Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Town, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Star Fox Grand Prix (if it even exists), Pikemin 3 remaster, etc. This is all way too much to cover at E3 (minus Smash stuff since it would already be out) especially when you consider that Pokemon Gen 8 is going to be the feature game.
Yep. It's wayyy to much to cover along with what we know. There will 100% be a Direct in March or April.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
For sure. They'll need to do a spotlight on Mario Maker, other titles happening in May/June, and I think they'll wanna tee up either Luigi's Mansion or announce a summer/early fall game before E3.

My guess is mid-April

Sounds about right. Last year was Jan mini-direct / March direct (Smash revealed!) prior to the June E3 digital presentation.

So assuming they need at least 1 month between directs, we could see one in April as the most likely slot for it.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Solid Direct - it was just missing some Pikmin!

I also wanted to see if that Star Fox racing game exists.

Also, I think Nintendo is going to sit on MP trilogy until 4 is closer to release.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017

I think we'll get a general Direct with the focus on Mario Maker 2. A June release means they won't have it as the main focus of E3, as that is usually a holiday title.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that I was going to be the last general Direct before E3.

But now, this Direct is raisng even more question lol.

For example when will they announce Joker and the 2nd DLC character ? When are they going to spotlight Mario Maker (E3 would be too late) ?

Very exciting times ahead of us folks ;)

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Guys...what if Nintendo is planning on having a direct in March?
Next Direct speculation started early hmm

I think Pokemon's next, I was hoping Fire Emblem would release closer and so it would be enough till E3 with both Pokemon and FE Directs. FE Direct now makes no sense, they can pretty much show everything at E3 by demoing the game

I was also expecting an Animal Crossing Direct before E3 as it seemed like a summer release but with big games dated for June, July and August I don't think that's going to happen anymore. It's most likely their big holiday game so no AC Direct until fall.

Poupou

Jan 22, 2019
Great direct overall ! Even if some games I really wanted to see were absent, but they can't please everyone.
So excited for the new Platinum IP, Fire Emblem and Zelda.

Bit disappointed that we have nothing from Nintendo in April/May. There were some talks about the golden week in Japan end of April, and that Nintendo should release a big game to cover that, do you think it's still possible ?
Anyway , with all the already announced 2019 games, I don't know how they could fit everything in the remaining months !