Nintendo Direct 2.13.2019 (2PM PST/ 5PM EST / 10PM GMT) - 35 mins with news on Fire Emblem Three Houses

steviejd1

Nov 8, 2017
Ehh people still listen to Liam Robertson when he said Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 were fake/incorrect.
There's a difference between getting a few things wrong (which most insiders will do because of how game development works/plans change) and Vergeben. He seems to be taking other insiders info and using it as their own, even using Jonneh's kind of 'long shot' prediction as something that was definitely going to happen.

Oregano

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between getting a few things wrong (which most insiders will do because of how game development works/plans change) but Vergeben seems to be taking other insiders info and using it as their own, even using Jonneh's kind of 'long shot' prediction as something that was definitely going to happen.
Yeah, in general I agree that Vergeben seems unreliable at best and a faker at worst.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think Unravel on Switch can lead to more EA support on Switch? Because I really, REALLY need Burnout Paradise on Switch. I've played it for more than 400 hours on 360, having it on the go would be dream coming true. Could you guys help me and buy Unravel to change EA's mind about Switch? It's a great platformer anyway.

steviejd1

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, in general I agree that Vergeben seems unreliable at best and a faker at worst.
I would normally have way more sympathy with insiders that get it wrong (and I'm not ruling out that he does have some sources that might know some stuff) but after some of the posts I've seen from him on gamefaqs, he doesn't deserve any.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the direct.

Most excited for Fire Emblem and Astral Chains.
Curiosity peaked for rune factory 5, never played any of the previous in the series. I hope the orchestratated DQ option gets patched into PS4 version.
Bloodstained looked better to me than it has in the past, hoping it's good!
It's also about time mario maker comes to switch!

Gonna get on that cpt. toad tracker co-op, and pick up yoshi when it's out. Also excited to recommend unravel 2 to some people who only have a switch.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
Metroid Prime Trilogy is such a game that either breaks or makes a Direct, at least for me. Had they announced Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch in the Direct, I would have scored it 8.5/10. Now, I would rate the Direct a 6/10. I am only excited in MM2. Astral Chains was a nice surprise also, but not something for me. I don't like 2D Zelda at all. I have never played FF7 so I am not overly excited about that either.

yuoke

Oct 25, 2017
Why not Wii U ports, how else are we going to play donkey Kong tropical freeze or xenoblade chronicles X.As far as I’m concerned they should port every Wii U game on to the switch.how else are we going to play these games.

On Monday I was contemplating buying a Wii U, just so I can play Mario maker. Good thing I waited for the direct. I had a strong suspicion, Nintendo was working on Mario maker 2.
I played all those games.

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
It was a good direct but now I think my suspicions of an April direct will come true.
They can show many games there like LM3, animal crossing. I don't think they will wait till E3 because they will be releasing in sept-oct.
Also smash 3.0 update and give updates on other games like Astral , Fire emblem, Mario maker because they will be releasing in june-aug

yuoke

Oct 25, 2017
If you’re not happy with your switch, you could always sell it. From what I can tell, you don’t seem to like Nintendo games. Why did you buy a switch?

My rule is if I don’t use a console in 6 to 12 months, then it’s time to sell. I didnt turn on my ps3 in 6 months and nothing of interest on the horizon, so I sold it.

Uh but they said they are interested in 5 games coming. It's not their fault those games qre all backloaded and nintendo's first half is like empty. Metroid prime 4 is eventually coming. Prime trilogy will at some point. Other games I want are. Some games have so far. You still are allowrd to criticize.

steviejd1

Nov 8, 2017
Uh but they said they are interested in 5 games coming. It's not their fault those games qre all backloaded and nintendo's first half is like empty. Metroid prime 4 is eventually coming. Prime trilogy will at some point. Other games I want are. Some games have so far. You still are allowrd to criticize.
At the same time it's not Nintendo's fault. They can't cater to everyone all of the time. It's also disingenuous to say that Nintendo's first half is empty, it just doesn't have games in it that you are interested in. There's a difference.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Do you guys think Unravel on Switch can lead to more EA support on Switch? Because I really, REALLY need Burnout Paradise on Switch. I've played it for more than 400 hours on 360, having it on the go would be dream coming true. Could you guys help me and buy Unravel to change EA's mind about Switch? It's a great platformer anyway.
Unravel 2 is on PhyreEngine. What engine is Burnout Paradise on?

yuoke

Oct 25, 2017
At the same time it's not Nintendo's fault. They can't cater to everyone all of the time. It's also disingenuous to say that Nintendo's first half is empty, it just doesn't have games in it that you are interested in. There's a difference.
I mean, they are a company. They aren't doing favors, just making stuff. I don't get why so many people here have to respond to any single post criticizing them.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
January and March had/have Nintendo games. Regarding February, April and May , I wouldn't be surprised if these were not supposed to be empty, with MPT being February or April, and FE April or May, and then between MP4 reboot and FE needing to be delayed a little more, the slots became empty and Nintendo did not have anything significant to refill these with.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. What about the 4 years prior?
If it was good they wouldn't have hired a new studio.

With the announcement of Retro Studios and the declaration that we would have to wait even longer for Metroid, its safe to say that they are starting over from scratch with the new team.

Basically we got an announcement that Nintendo is hitting the reset button, and unlike most game announcements that are announced a year or 2 in development, we get an announcement that is at Day 0

It reminds me of the time when Iwata told us at an old e3 on stage that they were developing a new smash bros with Sakurai directing ...and Sakurai found out while he was sitting in the audience.

We have a long wait ahead of us.

steviejd1

Nov 8, 2017
Regarding the first half, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't supposed to be empty, with MPT being February or April, and FE April or May, and then between MP4 reboot and FE delay, the slots became empty and Nintendo did not have anything significant to refill these with.
There's still Labo which is most likely coming soon and there's the possibility of a Pokemon spin-off game to tie in with the movie. But yeah you could be right about the gaps being MPT and FE. Still doesn't make this half of the year empty though, it's just not anywhere near as amazingly stacked that the second half will be.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
The only announcement that made me geek out completely was Link’s Awakening. It looks inspired, polished and full of charm. That’s Nintendo magic to me.

Mario Maker 2 will be huge, and I’m glad it’s coming earlier than we expected, but I just couldn’t get into the level editing on Maker 1. I found it a bit overwhelming tbh, though I did put in about 10-15 hours playing user levels. I’ll buy it, but it’s not inspiring that much hype.

I was so excited to hear about Starfox GP, Luigi’s Mansion and Animal Crossing but I’m guessing they’re spacing out their highlights so their April Direct has some freshness.

My guess is we’ll see Luigi’s Mansion, Mario Maker, Fire Emblem, Smash DLC, and Metroid Prime Trilogy in April, and we’ll see the new Pokémon by then too. They’ll reveal Animal Crossing and Star Fox at E3, and those along with Pokémon, Astral Chain and Zelda will be their big focus at Treehouse Live.

Man the first half of 2019 is probably weaker than 2018 but their second half is fucking bonkers.

MaitreWakou

Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
My guess is we’ll see Luigi’s Mansion, Mario Maker, Fire Emblem, Smash DLC, and Metroid Prime Trilogy in April, and we’ll see the new Pokémon by then too. They’ll reveal Animal Crossing and Star Fox at E3, and those along with Pokémon, Astral Chain and Zelda will be their big focus at Treehouse Live.
Swap Animal Crossing and MPT reveals and that's what I'm hoping/predicting too.
Don't know when to expect the Pikmin 3 port reveal tho.
Maybe E3 if Pikmin 4 is 2020, in order to tease it. Nintendo usually start to tease their next year's games at E3.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I'll happily buy Unravel.

I think it's reasonable to assume that EA support will increase. It takes a little time, but 2019/2020 feels like it'll be the start of a steadier flow.

Feb 2, 2019
There's still Labo which is most likely coming soon and there's the possibility of a Pokemon spin-off game to tie in with the movie. But yeah you could be right about the gaps being MPT and FE. Still doesn't make this half of the year empty though, it's just not anywhere near as amazingly stacked that the second half will be.
Yet, I can't help but find it empty as it is. A remaster, a Yoshi game and Mario Maker 2 for the first half of the year seems just... bad ? Regardless of how you twist it, it won't be remembered as a good first half, not even a meh one. It's always the same thing, some say it can't be that bad and some months after, everyone agrees it was actually that bad (like for the first half of 2018 for exemple).

KtotheRoc

Oct 27, 2017
I am really hyped for Astral Chain. I want to know so much more about it.

Mario Maker 2 is also pretty hype. Even if I don't make any levels of my own, I can still look forward to all the cool levels sure to be in the game.

I'm also ready for that Link's Awakening remake. So down for that artstyle.

Moltres006

Jan 5, 2019
I think there will be another direct next month because we dont have an exact date for Mario Maker 2 or other summer titles and we have yet to see any joker gameplay.

MaitreWakou

Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I think there will be another direct next month because we dont have an exact date for Mario Maker 2 or other summer titles and we have yet to see any joker gameplay.
A little bit too soon maybe.
April maybe. Last year, there was a direct in january and then in march, two months later.
A general direct only one month after a HUGE Direct like we just got is really really unlikely imo.
Don't get me wrong, I would love it of course. But it's just too soon. We'll have to wait until Yoshi's release.

steviejd1

Nov 8, 2017
Yet, I can't help but find it empty as it is. A remaster, a Yoshi game and Mario Maker 2 for the first half of the year seems just... bad ? Regardless of how you twist it, it won't be remembered as a good first half, not even a meh one. It's always the same thing, some say it can't be that bad and some months after, everyone agrees it was actually that bad (like for the first half of 2018 for exemple).
The first half of 2018 wasn't bad either imo.

The first half of 2019 will not be empty as there are games coming out. It's completely subjective if they are games for you but there are still there and not invisible. Also let me stress, there are more games coming for H1, but yet again they may not be games that enthusiasts will be too hyped up about.

Ōkami Haundo

Oct 25, 2017
PA - US
So what's the general consensus on the Direct? Personally, I came away happier than I could have imagined! Some big highlights for me were:

- Mario Maker 2!
- BoxBoy on Switch?!
- Captain Toad getting DLC and co-op!
- FFIX out today! (yesterday)
- Dragon Quest XI(S) coming this year with orchestrated battle/overworld music!
- More Starfox content in Starlink!
- Shadow dropped demos galore!
- Astral Chains!!!!
- LINKS GODDAMNED AWAKENING REMADE FOR SWITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like hot damn... For a Direct that had basically nothing I could have predicted, it sure had a ton of stuff I didn't know I wanted. I've got quite the Switch game wish list now and it doesn't even include Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, or Pokemon gen 8!

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I really enjoyed that Direct but as far as third parties go, I need to know what exactly qualifies a game to get a headlining slot.

The montage towards the end was appropriate, although I think Mortal Kombat 11 could have used a little more time, but showing off release dates for the Final Fantasies were really appropriately paced. Tetris 99 was a cool announcement that deserved time. But why spend so much time on those Rune Factory games? Or Dead By Daylight? Surely nobody at Nintendo looked at that and thought that was good looking footage. Maybe it was just the way the video was encoded (see: Assassin's Creed 3 Switch footage) but that was terrible.

Otherwise, the first party stuff was really great, and we didn't even get to everything yet. Still lots of details to find out on Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion 3, in addition to Pokemon likely being announced soon, so I think we'll get more details on all of those in an April direct. I don't think it's out of the question necessarily.

But between:

Mario Maker 2
Yoshi's Crafted World
Animal Crossing
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokemon Gen 8
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Astral Chain
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
even Dragon Quest XI S

This is one killer year...but, the wait for all these games feels really long. Aside from Mario Maker 2 and Yoshi, all of these games are hitting in Summer or beyond, which feels weird. First party 2019 releases feel very backloaded.

And a note about Star Fox GP, it's tough to say whether or not it's real, considering we saw something strangely similar to it in that update, but I don't think this footage is what lead people to believe it existed. Plus, apparently, people saw a logo, and knew of Retro Studios' involvement? I don't think a dedicated Star Fox game would've been canceled for a spare mode in a Ubisoft game featuring Star Fox characters, but at this point, I'm not sure what to make of it.

ShinobiBk

Dec 28, 2017
I thought the Direct was great. It was bookended with 3 amazing new games. Astral Chain looks incredible, I was having Nier vibes the entire time watching the trailer even before I knew it was Platinum.
Link's Awakening with that new art style kind of threw me for a loop at first but I really love it. It looks like stop motion animation almost. Actually reminds me a lot of the animated Rudolf movie from the 60's.
Mario Maker 2 is what I've been asking for for 2 years now. Can't wait.

That being said, Nintendo seemingly only publishing only 3 retail first party games from January-June with one of those being a fairly straightforward port is not good. It's worse than last year actually.
Thankfully, June-December looks as stacked as any 6 month stretch I can remember for any Nintendo console.

Also I'm definitely gonna have to give Tetris 99 once I get my joycons repaired. Looks amazing.

Kevin360

Oct 25, 2017
I think we see another Direct in the next month or two. April and May are still desolate of any notable, momentum for sales, Nintendo releases.

That's where I suspect we will see Pikmin 3 port and/or MPT.

Please.

Feb 2, 2019
The first half of 2018 wasn't bad either imo.

The first half of 2019 will not be empty as there are games coming out. It's completely subjective if they are games for you but there are still there and not invisible. Also let me stress, there are more games coming for H1, but yet again they may not be games that enthusiasts will be too hyped up about.
I'm mostly speaking about Nintendo own output for the first half of 2019. And yeah, I think the first half of 2018 was better in comparison. It was meh, but still better. Bayonnetta, Tropical Freeze, Labo, Mario Tennis Aces and Kirby, while meh is a more solid line up than a remaster, Yoshi and Mario Maker 2.

Dec 4, 2018
I have too many indies to play to be bothered with fewer releases in early 2019. The last indie thing was super good and my backlog is big.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed what I saw of Mario Maker 2 but, is there any info on whether it'll require a switch online subscription to download other players' levels?

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I think we see another Direct in the next month or two. April and May are still desolate of any notable, momentum for sales, Nintendo releases.

That's where I suspect we will see Pikmin 3 port and/or MPT.

Please.
Revised Hardware with Animal Crossing makes so much sense in that very conspicuous April/May empty gap they've left in their schedule...

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Whoever teased Pikmin or Mario Strikers for this direct should be banned.
No one teased Mario Strikers. It was a prediction that some people on era read too much about. The person who mentioned it said he was hoping for a Mario Strikers, but because people think he has insider knowledge. Took it as a tease, which was unfair to them.

steviejd1

Nov 8, 2017
Revised Hardware with Animal Crossing makes so much sense in that very conspicuous April/May empty gap they've left in their schedule...
It's highly unlikely AC is releasing April or May, that's not enough time for preorders + we haven't seen a thing about the game yet. The only thing I could see happening is that they release a bundle with a preorder code like what happened with Smash and even that's a stretch.

Feb 2, 2019
NSMBUDX, Yoshi, Mario Maker 2, Boxboy, Tetris 99, Labo, Pokemon spin-off (not 100% but usually happens with a Pokemon direct) + dlc for already released games. Please show me a better 1st party H1 output this year.
When you have to list potential games that have yet to be announced or even officially confirmed to make the first half of the year looks good, you know you're scratching trees.

I don't do comparison between publishers or manufacturers by the way, I'm not into console/publisher-warring myself. Good for you if it's more your thing, but you'll play this game alone, as I don't considerate it to be a good argument. The current positions of the three big ones (Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo) are vastly differents.