• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Are people disappointed? It was a great Direct guys! A lot of games for every taste was announced for THIS YEAR. I'm pretty sure there's even more coming this year for the Holidays. For the moment I'm pretty hype for Platinums new game, DQXIS, Maker 2 and DaemonXMachina.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Yeah, lack of Metroid Prime Trilogy was a bummer. I just wish they'd confirm it exists, regardless of whatever release window it might have.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I really want answers on Metroid Prime Trilogy :/

Like I hope Kotaku or some other investigative journalism site digs into what's going on with that and Prime 4 (specifics of what went wrong there)

Like, it sucks anticipating it and it being the ONE thing leakers say is going to happen that never happens.

Something has to be going on.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good direct, only thing missing for me personally was SNES

They also should have released some things earlier instead of everything in summer

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Like I hope Kotaku or some other investigative journalism site digs into what's going on with that and Prime 4 (specifics of what went wrong there)

Like, it sucks anticipating it and it being the ONE thing leakers say is going to happen that never happens.

It's almost certainly coming. Nintendo just has a lot to release now. Probably something to launch early next year. Likely would have launched this year if Prime 4 hadn't restarted development.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Pikmin 3 was missing too and I don't see it releasing in the later half of the year given the line-up.

Maybe we'll get another (Mini) Direct soon to focus on those ports ?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I've changed my tune.

Previously I said that this would be the only general direct before E3. I'm not sure I believe that anymore, there's simply too much to cover now. I think we get one April maybe.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a pretty decent direct, there were a few titles that I was interested in though the Smash 3.0 patch news could have easily been cut and saved for a social media post rather than waste time over nothing.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
Wow, I'm so split on this direct... We got big game announcements that I wasn't expecting: Maker 2 and 2D Zelda (Link's Awakening remake) in one direct!? I thought MAYBE one of them... But we also saw nothing of the games that I'm really excited for this year: Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion 3. I expected to see those... So I'm kinda disappointed, but I know it was still a good direct in general.

So please don't act like I'm saying it was bad. Just sharing my personal feelings about it. I'm sure others probably feel the same way.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I've changed my tune.

Previously I said that this would be the only general direct before E3. I'm not sure I believe that anymore, there's simply too much to cover now. I think we get one April maybe.

With Smash alone they need to cover those mysterious blurred screens and Joker in-depth, plus announce 4 more characters throughout the year. I'm not ready to jump back on the Direct speculation train this soon after we got one though.....

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Overall I thought it was a pretty great direct. Having Mario Maker 2 at the outset was definitely a shocker as I didn't expect to see it until E3. Even though I owned the original game for the Wii U, I never got around to playing it that much... hopefully the portability factor convinces me to pour more hours into it. Being able to choose the 3D World artstyle was the true megaton of the Direct.

DLC for Captain Toad was a pleasant surprise as well. I'd much rather have a full-fledged sequel but the extra levels will do (and I can't ever get enough of Toad's clapping). Fire Emblem looked... interesting. Good and weird at the same time. I don't exactly know what to make of it but I know I'll like it regardless of what IntSys delivers and boy, does that Limited Edition look delicious!

I think the biggest title to me was Kamiya's title, it just screams Platinum. I loved the action, soundtrack and art direction, but I'm not too fond of the character design. Will definitely keep an eye out for it.

Link's Awakening looked glorious.

The Bayonetta 3 mention was also nice. Hopefully they have something to show @ E3.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Why did people think DMC HD collection was coming to Switch? Did someone actually "leak" that or did someone just start posting Dante gifs and everyone just went with it?

Also fuck all the haters Link's Awakening looks incredible.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
With all the good stuff its hard to forget some things! I'm so overwhelmed I forgot I was hyped for Marvel as well! It looks really cool, can't wait to play it co-op. Just a shame it isn't coming with Avengers movie, I was sure they'd release it then for dat hype. Still shocking to me as well Nintendo has a game like that exclusive, seems like a pretty big deal.

I guess cause I'm into JRPGs and Japanese style games in general that Direct to me was zomg wall-to-wall awesomeness. Can't believe there are people saying zzz (come on, honestly?) etc but it's the Internet I suppose and everyone has different tastes.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
If you really hate your Switch, and hate what's available on Switch and will come out on Switch, yeah, go on sell your Switch. You'll make someone happy and you'll have more money in your pocket. Why bother? It's less salt for everyone that way. Don't @ me. You know it's true.

Other than that.

I'm not super hyped about DQ or FE since they're not huge to me. But I want every single other game presented (maybe not the horror thing). Direct was AMAZEBALLS, E3 worthy to me since I'm a player with wide tastes. People who wanted stuff for the end of the year (like AC or Pokèmon) was very misguided - they stopped showing stuff this early because they KNOW you'll be disappointed, they try to focus on stuff coming right away and you know it. It's enough to wait for Bayo3, MP4 or SMTV so be glad for this. You know they'll play AC at the Treehouse so much you'll get bored before it even comes out.

---------------------------

No. Because I have 1000 hours clocked-in and I've yet to find one other game that gives you the sens of tension this game gives. That, plus the gunplay putting even Battlefield to shame, the tactical thinking you have to use, the stealth strategies, among many other things. I've yet to see one game that reward smart play like this one, outside of fighting games. PUBG is also one of the hardest game around, puttin gameplay and smartplay first. Winning a game on PUBG is something and some have tried without succeeding, sometimes after 400 hours.

Did you try the game seriousely or did you just assume it was one of those overhyped thing ? Fortnite, Apex, Blackout are all overhyped as fuck, but I can attest you PUBG isn't.
Uh?

PUBG was HUGE in 2017. Basically everyone on PC was playing it, had like a bazilion players in China, and everyone was acclaiming it as the 2017 GOTY - and back then it was just a map, and the game ran like shit even on high end GPUs, with hackers and bugs and what not. The hype went away once people took Fortnite seriously - but it was always an hyped game. Polygon gave it 10/10 (and Polygon died for me that day)

And btw, until Apex no other BR was fun to me

Last edited:

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Why did people think DMC HD collection was coming to Switch? Did someone actually "leak" that or did someone just start posting Dante gifs and everyone just went with it?

Also fuck all the haters Link's Awakening looks incredible.

There's a rumor going around that the HD Collection is being ported but I'm not sure where it started. The Dante gifs started because of it.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Best direct in a while imho

Thank you. I thought I was going crazy seeing some of the reactions. Once I got off work I went right to YouTube to watch the Direct and was consistently hyped throughout. MM2, LoZ:LA, Astral Chain, FE, the changes to DQXI S, THREE shadow drops, I mean god. I'm even tempted to check out that Oninaki game despite the developers' previous track record. So excited for the rest of this year and what they show at E3.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
There were a lot of hints/predictions from insiders that were not mentioned. Maybe Nintendo is sending out false messages to expose leakers.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty unfair attacking Nintendo about the Prime Trilogy when it's all base off insider info.

It's "unannounced". Hell, could actually not even be done for all we know. Still in development or whatnot. It's somthing we technically shouldn't even know about.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Amazing Direct. Except that horror game, everything was beautiful.
Assassin's Creed was rather choppy, and I'm normally not someone who cares about that sort of thing. Still want to see what final impression are like -- Cities Skylines was choppy in its Direct reveal, but the actual game plays a lot better until cities get ridiculously big.

Oct 26, 2017
Stellar Direct. Only omission obviously was Spyro. Was really hoping they'd announce it here after the Gamestop Germany leak and the black space on the platform selector on the official website. :(

Highlights were Astral Chain and Rune Factory 5. Rune Factoru 4 Special is a wicked bonus, but it's obvious that the 3DS original used pre-rendered assets and in screens it looks like they were left as is.

C.Tsubasa

Nov 8, 2017
You know that this is gonna be an amazing year for Switch when Nintendo showed all this on Direct and we already know that there so much yet to be shown "AC,LM3,Pokemon etc".

Also alot of third party games are yet to be announced "some in March" that will make this year even more amazing.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally had some time to sit down and think about the Direct...

Thought it was pretty good overall. The beginning with Mario Maker 2 and the slope cracked me up and there was some great content throughout. However, once again I am baffled at some inclusions and the general pacing of the direct. The Smash segment, Rune Factory 4 and Dead by Daylight that looked really poor, the Fire Emblem deep dive in the middle of the Direct... it just makes the entire thing feel sloppier than it should be. I am pretty sure they could have found other stuff to fill those minutes.

Astral Chain and Link's Awakening were the highlights but there were some nice small surprises like Box Boy & Box Girl, Deltarune, the S content for Dragon Quest XI, Oninaki, Captain Toad DLC etc. Personally, the worst thing was Starlink basically confirming that Star Fox Grand Prix was never real and Metroid Prime Trilogy being completely absent. Otherwise I was rather happy.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing was never coming anytime soon. They'll save that for the next direct and/or E3. By the way, I expect the Treehouse Live segments to be packed this year.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Assassin's Creed was rather choppy, and I'm normally not someone who cares about that sort of thing. Still want to see what final impression are like -- Cities Skylines was choppy in its Direct reveal, but the actual game plays a lot better until cities get ridiculously big.

I agree. By contrast, the two female-led third-party games looked amazing.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
You know that this is gonna be an amazing year for Switch when Nintendo showed all this on Direct and we already know that there so much yet to be shown "AC,LM3,Pokemon etc".

Also alot of third party games are yet to be announced "some in March" that will make this year even more amazing.
You there'll be another direct before E3? Because Mario Maker is coming out in June but we dont have an exact date.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought this Direct was solid but it didn't have something that made me super excited.

Really I'm just sad the Pikmin 3 port didn't get shown off.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm imagining the E3 Treehouse this year:

Zelda
Pokemon
Animal Crossing
Fire Emblem
Astral Chain
Luigi's Mansion

Soooo much GOOD

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

I'm actually shocked we got a 2D Mario and 2D Zelda in one Direct.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Solid direct. Not much in the Spring for me, but between Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest the back half of my year is going to be PACKED. And we haven't even gotten details on Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing and Bayo 3... fuck and Pokemon, too. Not enough hours in the day!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

This year is ridiculously packed, there's no denying it. It's just all June or later, which is kinda surprising to me considering that just talked about the importance of momentum early in the fiscal year.

I guess they're letting third parties take over for that period.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019

Do you think we'll hear about AC & LM3 at E3, or before?

I was expecting to hear more about previously announced games and have less new announcements, it was kinda odd to me. Thought I'm completely surprised we got Maker 2 & 2D Zelda in this one direct!

I'm sure you don't have info on this already, just asking in your opinion based on the other announcements today.