Nintendo Direct 2.13.2019 (2PM PST/ 5PM EST / 10PM GMT) - 35 mins with news on Fire Emblem Three Houses

Feb 13, 2019
While I am disappointed with the lack of Metroid Pride Trilogy I am also becoming increasingly excited for many of the games shown yesterday. It is understandable that people can feel their specific IPs were not represented (AC, Metroid, Luigi's Mansion) but from the objective standpoint of someone who just loves video games Nintendo continues to impress with this system.

I get the feeling that Nintendo has so much in the hopper they are struggling to find an effective way to release it all. Its either a flood of content or a drip feed and I am leaning more toward the opinion that the flood gates are starting to buckle.

At this point it is very easy for me to see how Nintendo plans to push the Switch through 8 or so years of support (especially if they have upgraded hardware planned).

I know that right now it may feel as though our favorites are not being represented or are being pushed far into the future but by the end of the Switch's lifespan it will most likely be considered one of the greatest consoles ever.
Nintendo is in a position to drop bomb after bomb year after year for the better part of a decade. In addition to this we will continue to see greater 3rd party support and it is no secret that indie games have found a perfect home here too.

I do not fully understand why Nintendo intentionally has left these next two months rather bare but I'm certain they still have some surprises in store.
And beside that May, June, July, & the rest of 2019 will arrive before we know it.

All of that to say I did want Metroid Prime Trilogy but am very very excited regardless.

Jan 10, 2018
It comes from multiple sources, including king zell.
yup there was enough evidence to believe king zell as well as other insiders know something is cooking for MPT. Maybe Nintendo decided to delay it for E3 or later with MP4 being delayed.

king zell correctly predicted Maker 2, Boxboy, and Zelda 2D and being announced in 2019. He never said MPT was a definite show for this Direct rather it was a good possibility. He has a good enough track record for leaks historically to at least give some trust to his posts.

Oct 27, 2017
Are there actually many third party games announced for H2 on any platform right now?

Late ports etc can be announced on Twitter and don't need directs.
No but on other platforms, everyone assume annual franchises will be there H2. Same can't be said for Switch as third parties are really unpredictable when it comes to Switch. Seriously, they're so unpredictable, every single announcement come out like a shock. Who would have guessed Civilization VI? Or Saints Row The Third? Even MK11 getting a Switch version was a huge surprise.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I was expecting Three Houses to release in late June, so for me the delay is pretty immaterial. Astral Chain looked amazing, the most hyped I've been for a new Nintendo IP since Xenoblade was shown a decade ago. Pretty good Direct from my perspective.

Oct 25, 2017
Just thinking of the fact that prime trilogy has been done for months and might be sat on for maybe 2 years is frustrating. Like the game is right there...just put it out.

Oct 25, 2017
Just thinking of the fact that prime trilogy has been done for months and might be sat on for maybe 2 years is frustrating. Like the game is right there...just put it out.
That's crazy stupid, but I don't doubt at all this game was delayed to hell just because of Prime 4 being so far away.

One of the most stupid decisions they could make and I don't even care about replaying the trilogy. Sucks for everyone who wants it. Feels like only Nintendo would do something like this.

Oct 27, 2017
This is definitely the most frustrating part I agree. When you know something like MPT is finished and Nintendo is holding it until god knows when

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Glad to see the general reaction from YouTubers is positive -- I feel like there's a fair amount of "Nintendo didn't announce the specific things they never indicated they would announce but that I decided I wanted beforehand, therefore this was bad" in this thread, which had me confused as I thought it was a really solid Direct with a nice variety of content. On the Metroid thing, I'm as big a Metroid fan as anyone, but given the recent Metroid 4 announcement, it's likely just too early to put the trilogy out there (I do believe it exists, as the rumors indicate). I understand it would be nice to throw fans a bone, but given the density of this Direct, there wasn't really a need for more content (see also Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and Luigi).

I intentionally avoided rumors and such, so for me, Mario Maker 2, Link's Awakening, Astral Motherfucking Chain, Tetris 99, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest XI, Hellblade, Deltarune and the Daemon X Machina demo were all absolute bangers -- that's nine "yes" moments over 35 minutes, with plenty of "oh neats" in between. On a personal (and biased) level, I'm kind of stoked that it's stacked toward the summer, given my backlog, though I won't say that's a universally "good" thing. Absolutely loved that we saw a just about fully formed Platinum game with such a killer aesthetic and pedigree and immediately got a solid, not-too-far-away release date for it. I reckon the dates here mean that Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion and Link's Awakening are Nintendo's first-party Q4 lineup, which sounds stellar to me.

The only thing that had me scratching my head in a minor way was Bloodstained. It seemed to be more of a reminder of "hey, this exists," as I laughed out loud at the seemingly perpetual lack of release date for that thing. Seems like this shit's gonna be in 2022 Directs without a date at this point. If I were to backseat drive, collaborating with Team Cherry on the Hollow Knight sequel announcement might have better served the time.

Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy stupid, but I don't doubt at all this game was delayed to hell just because of Prime 4 being so far away.

One of the most stupid decisions they could make and I don't even care about replaying the trilogy. Sucks for everyone who wants it. Feels like only Nintendo would do something like this.
They are my favorite games ever and have wanted them in HD pretty much since the wii u was announced. I would have rather not even have all the evidence that not only does it exist, but has been done for months. Now it could be like maybe early/mid 2021 when it comes out. I'm going to keep wanting it more and more every direct now.

Edit-I know Nintendo has sat on games before...but this would have to be unprecedented, to sit on a completely finished game for maybe 2.5 years

Nov 8, 2017
No but on other platforms, everyone assume annual franchises will be there H2. Same can't be said for Switch as third parties are really unpredictable when it comes to Switch. Seriously, they're so unpredictable, every single announcement come out like a shock. Who would have guessed Civilization VI? Or Saints Row The Third? Even MK11 getting a Switch version was a huge surprise.
While they are unpredictable it doesn't mean that the Switch isn't getting third party games. Japanese third parties will continue throughout the year and I'm sure there will be some western games too. Spyro being obvious and I could see a GTAV reveal at E3. There will be FIFA too. Most publishers are getting on board with their AA and lower games now so it's just a wait and see kind of thing. We also know that Panic Button are working on multiple Switch projects right now.

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to single out Metroid fans, but I feel like most of the disappointment is coming from them. And I don't blame them for feeling disappointed. Metroid Prime 4 was delayed to who knows when, and there's been no announcement of Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Otherwise, 2019 is extremely solid for fans of Nintendo's other IPs.

Mario IP is covered (NSMBU + Super Mario Maker 2 + Luigi's Mansion + Yoshi)
Zelda IP is covered (Link's Awakening remake)
Pokemon IP is covered. (8th gen pokemon)
Fire Emblem IP is covered. (Three Houses)
Animal Crossing IP is covered (Coming soon)
New IPs are covered. (Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina)
eShop games are covered. (Box Boy + Tetris. There's more eshop announcements coming this year.)
This is 100% it. All I wanted was Metroid.

I fell for the rumor mill hints and hype again, and it’s really my fault.

Dec 3, 2017
Releasing MPT closer to MP4's release date will lead to way higher risk of franchise fatigue and hence adversely affect MP4...

Pretty sure WWHD & TPHD were used to tide fans over until BOTW.

Nov 8, 2017
Releasing MPT closer to MP4's release date will lead to way higher risk of franchise fatigue and hence adversely affect MP4...

Prime 4 most likely isn't releasing for another 3+ years. Even if they release MPT next year that would be at least a 2 year gap.

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to single out Metroid fans, but I feel like most of the disappointment is coming from them. And I don't blame them for feeling disappointed. Metroid Prime 4 was delayed to who knows when, and there's been no announcement of Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Otherwise, 2019 is extremely solid for fans of Nintendo's other IPs.

Mario IP is covered (NSMBU + Super Mario Maker 2 + Luigi's Mansion + Yoshi)
Zelda IP is covered (Link's Awakening remake)
Pokemon IP is covered. (8th gen pokemon)
Fire Emblem IP is covered. (Three Houses)
Animal Crossing IP is covered (Coming soon)
New IPs are covered. (Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina)
eShop games are covered. (Box Boy + Tetris. There's more eshop announcements coming this year.)
Or they could have gone in expecting it to be focused on the first half of the year because all we knew about was Yoshi. Now we've got Yoshi and Boxboy.

Oct 25, 2017

That's what I think too. Plus, the earlier it's out, the more people will get to play it. If people play the trilogy and love it, they aren't going to just forget about that when prime 4 comes out and be like "well trilogy came out too long ago, I can't remember if I liked it or not...not getting 4."

Oct 25, 2017
Emily said on twitter she gives the Direct a B+ and notes that it’s not higher because “not much first party software has been announced for April or May yet”

I’m not sure if that’s meant to be interpreted as there will be first party software for April and May or noy

Oct 27, 2017
How can people blame Nintendo for Prime trilogy “delay” when it’s all base off insider info.

It’s something we aren’t suppose to know anything about.

This is one of the reasons leaks just lead to frustration and aggressive comments. Leakers get attacked when it doesn’t happen. Nintendo does as well. It’s just a Lose-lose situation, when things don’t go as planned.

Oct 25, 2017
Emily said on twitter she gives the Direct a B+ and notes that it’s not higher because “not much first party software has been announced for April or May yet”

I’m not sure if that’s meant to be interpreted as there will be first party software for April and May or noy
I kind of doubt it. If there even if another general direct before e3, it would be in april already, but that seems unlikely since this direct announced past april and may.

Oct 25, 2017
How can people blame Nintendo for Prime trilogy “delay” when it’s all base off insider info.

This is one of the reasons leaks just lead to frustration and aggressive comments. Leakers get attacked when it doesn’t happen. Nintendo does as well. It’s just a Lose-lose situation, when things don’t go as planned.
We aren't supposed to, but now we do...so it is what it is.

Oct 25, 2017
And Tetris 99, and this little game called Mario Maker 2.
Mario Maker is currently scheduled for "June" for all we know it could come out towards the end of the month putting it into the second half of the year.

Tetris 99 is on the same level as something like Twilight Princess Picross. A small title in order to make a poor service look a bit more appealing.

Dec 3, 2017

I don't think it's necessarily "blame" but more so that the strong desire for MPT really just does stem from the fact that in the overall software library there isn't any other alternative(s).

Obviously the manifestation of such desire is resulting in frustration etc. Not that it excuses it by any means.

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Maker is currently scheduled for "June" for all we know it could come out towards the end of the month putting it into the second half of the year.

Tetris 99 is on the same level as something like Twilight Princess Picross. A small title in order to make a poor service look a bit more appealing.
End of June is still the first half of the year.

Oct 25, 2017

I agree with almost everything you're saying (I always assume Nintendo vague dates now means they're always releasing at the latest day possible), but the comparison with TP Picross isn't good. Tetris 99 seems to be way bigger and with more longevity.

Mario Maker could be a summer title yes.
But if we're just talking about "first half" of the year, then since june is the 6th month, it's literally in the first half of the year. Until the first day of july.

Oct 27, 2017

I think Nintendo is leaving those months to third party. April already has insane amount of third party games. While may has only one (AC3), it's likely that many announced but not dated titles can come out in that month. We got Resident Evils, FFCC, Saints Row and so on. I expect to see not yet announced third party games for May too.

Nov 8, 2017
I think Nintendo is leaving those months to third party. April already has insane amount of third party games. While may has only one (AC3), it's likely that many announced but not dated titles can come out in that month. We got Resident Evils, FFCC, Saints Row and so on. I expect to see not yet announced third party games for May too.
Emily has already said that Labo should be around April and that it could be interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
Or they could have gone in expecting it to be focused on the first half of the year because all we knew about was Yoshi. Now we've got Yoshi and Boxboy.
Well first half has:

New Super Mario Bros U, Wargroove, Travis Strikes Again plus upcoming: Yoshi, Box Boy, Smash DLC, Mario Maker 2, Mortal Kombat 11, CTR, FF7, FF9, FF X/X-2, FF12, My Time at Portia, Sonic Racing, Dragons Dogma, AC3 Remastered, Wasteland 2, Hellblade, and others before summer (end of June)

The rest of summer is packed with: Oninaki, Astral Chain, Fire Emblem, DQ Builders 2.

I’d say first half of 2019 is packed no matter what your tastes are.

Sep 2, 2018
-mario
-dragon quest theme
-ffvii
-melodies of life
-fire emblem
-that daemonxmachina menu theme
-TETRIS
-hellblade
-marins song

I don't know about you guys
But that direct was aural bliss

Oct 25, 2017
What a poor excuse that doesn’t justify the majority of comments regarding this subject.
We know the game is there, and according to everything has been ready for months. We know, and Nintendo is apparently sitting on the game. You can just ignore the posts if you don't agree with them.

Oct 27, 2017
Labo is coming dude. Should be April or May

Nov 8, 2017
What a poor excuse that doesn’t justify the majority of comments regarding this subject.
It goes even further than just knowing that the game exists because rumors have said that the game is already finished and ready to go, which may not necessarily be true at all. This I think is what is annoying fans as they want it now and can't understand why Nintendo would hold on it (if indeed they are). Leaking/rumors are usually fun but unfortunately this is a downside of that.

Jul 25, 2018
I enjoyed the direct very much. I've been desperate for release information on the Dragon Quest games. I'll take "Fall" for now. Very excited for June. I'm also equal parts excited and nervous about Rune Factory 5. Those games were my jam, even the Tides of Destiny one. It was a solid Direct. Games for me, games not for me. I'm happy.

Oct 24, 2017

I have the new Labo pegged as a Spring release - with April at the earliest.

Oct 27, 2017
We know the game is there, and according to everything has been ready for months. We know, and Nintendo is apparently sitting on the game. You can just ignore the posts if you don't agree with them.
You keep missing the point. Also no really knows for sure if the game is actually ready to go.

Before this year, people were sure Prime 4 looked good base off Vern, something you have acknowledged and hyped you for Prime 4 news. Things/plans change, but you keep ignoring the actual issues I’m talking about.

Oct 25, 2017
You keep missing the point. Also no really knows for sure if the game is actually ready to go.

Before this year, people were sure Prime 4 looked good base off Vern, something you have acknowledged and hyped you for Prime 4 news. Things/plans change, but you keep ignoring the actual issues I’m talking about.
He said that like december 2017 and also said it would be in the january direct, so most people got over that pretty quick. This isn't even about vern. Zell and imran and zhuge also. Either way, prime trilogy is going to be speculated and wanted every direct going forward, so you can keep complaining about not supposed to be knowing it if you want or just ignore people wanting it. Me and a lot of people have it in our heads now, we aren't just going to forget it.

Nov 7, 2017
I have the new Labo pegged as a Spring release - with April at the earliest.
A new Labo kit releasing this spring is interesting cause if a joyconless mini Switch is releasing later this year aimed at a younger audience I just can't see how it would be compatible with this newly released Labo kit which would probably be aimed at the very same audience interested in a smaller Switch. I really thought Labo was dead a few months ago and that Nintendo would let it go. Sold more than 1 million combined and probably helped expand some of the Switch's audience but I believe they should change their strategy with it if they want to keep pushing it. There's a way to reach both kids/families and Nintendo fans, that is by using Nintendo IPs for Labo. I hope that's the case in the upcoming kit. I wish it was Pokemon Snap x Labo.

Oct 25, 2017
2019 is shaping up to be the best year in a Nintendo console with some of the best 1st support ever and some great 3rd games.

Couldnt be happier

Plus theres no way that by February we will already know the entire Nintendo release schedule for the year.

Nov 8, 2017
his isn't even about vern. Zell and imran and zhuge also. Either way, prime trilogy is going to be speculated and wanted every direct going forward, so you can keep complaining about not supposed to be knowing it if you want or just ignore people wanting it.
Speculating and wanting MPT is fine, we all want more games of our favorite franchises, I get that. I understand that Prime 3 came out in 2007 so we could be looking at 15+ years between 3 and 4. I get the thirst especially as there is such a big deal being made of an upressed port of a decade old game. The complaining after every direct/chance that we could see it is annoying. We've had insiders harassed/quit leaking because of this game and the fact that it wasn't announced when they said it would be. It just seems like a bit much to me. The game will come when it comes, it may still be this year.