• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
No one is talking about the Captain Toad DLC. Is it any good?
Reality always feels a little more empty than promise, like when you get a new job and that new-job sheen wears off and then you feel mildly depressed for a while.

I know, right? Life shouldn't feel same-y and unexciting.

We need to start a new hype cycle for the next Pokémon Direct.
Smash is also quite laid back. Wasn't also Let's go announced at E3?

Nope. There was this private Pokémon event where they announced Pokémon Quest and Let's Go. We did get a new LG trailer and an 8-gen games announcement at E3, though.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
There are people disappointed by this direct? It's the best in recent memory. Maybe it's just the type of games they announced really appeal to me.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
If MPT is just the wii version in 1080p and they hold onto it for two years then fuck em.

If more effort went into the game then fine but I really doubt it.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
There are people disappointed by this direct? It's the best in recent memory. Maybe it's just the type of games they announced really appeal to me.
I think it was a strong contender for the best Direct ever, personally

I tuned out a little during the Fire Emblem segment, but the rest of it was pretty much wall-to-wall delights

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Wow. What a direct. Just announcement after announcement.

Dragon quest looks spectacular.
Astral chain looks great.
The fire emblem setting in intriguing.
Mario maker looks full featured

Questions... No details about physical release of ff9 and ff7?
Also wish box boy was physical.

Tooo many games... Seriously. My backlog will get absurd. Still have so many games from 2018 I Havent bought yet and 2019 is getting crazy.

Link's awakening will be mine.

My one concern is the year seems to be getting very very second half heavy.

FF7 and FF9 haven't gotten physical releases in two decades. They're digital only.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
In a vacuum the direct was very good. The problem, I think, is that not only was it a very long time between this and the last direct, the release schedule was completely bare for 2019 from both a 1st and 3rd party perspective. As such expectations were through the roof, and Nintendo never going to be able to make everyone happy unless they pulled out all the stops, which they didn't. It's particularly noticeable that the first half of the year is once again fairly dry.

Obviously more stuff is probably still to be announced, and dated, so we'll see how it plays out.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in disbelief at both how bad H1 2019 is for Switch releases and how good H2 2019 is for Switch releases

That's kinda where I'm at, although April is looking awesome in terms of third parties (assuming you don't hate ports).

Not that I have any sort of lack of games to play but it's a bit puzzling to say the least.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
The negativity that gets expressed on this forum after any big video game event like this makes me wonder if people here actually enjoy playing video games or if they just like talking about and complaining about them.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
My only complaint is that Nintendo needs to space out the release dates better. Second half of 2019 seems amazing. First half of 2019 is really meh. Overall, much better than 2018 obviously. Maybe even better than 2017 for me.

Murdamonk

Oct 27, 2017
meh Direct... No Suikoden announcement!!

I am just kidding.. very nice Direct... Tetris 99 and Astral Chain were unexpected... And I can't wait for DQXI S (Triple dipping)

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The negativity that gets expressed on this forum after any big video game event like this makes me wonder if people here actually enjoy playing video games or if they just like talking about and complaining about them.
Xxmxd0t.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was a pretty solid Direct. I didn't care about any of the JRPGs, but not everything can be for me. I got an LA remake, more Yoshi's Crafted World footage and a demo, Tetris 99 looks interesting, and oh yeah, more fucking Captain Toad, so I'm good.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's possible people just have different tastes and opinions? Some people here loved the direct. Some didn't. Posts like these make me think that people like to pretend that everyone is the same.

coolcam52

Jan 14, 2019
That's kinda where I'm at, although April is looking awesome in terms of third parties (assuming you don't hate ports).

Not that I have any sort of lack of games to play but it's a bit puzzling to say the least.
Don't think I'll buy anything in April and May except for Boxboy. Not a Mortal Kombat fan, and I've played all the Final Fantasy games already. Hopefully some cool indies release, but wouldn't be too surprised if my switch is just left to collect dust until June.

However, after June...
Super Mario Maker 2, FE 3 Houses, Daemon x Machina, MUA3, ASTRAL CHAIN, Zelda, Lugis Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Pokémon Gen 8, all in a 7 month period... I really can't wait

coolcam52

Jan 14, 2019
Animal Crossing and Zelda are probably my favorite two series ever. This year having one of each, plus a new Kamiya game, Mario Maker, and Pokémon generation will be amazing. I've been consistently dissapointed by Nintendo for over a year now, so happy to finally be hyped again.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it's possible people just have different tastes and opinions? Some people here loved the direct. Some didn't. Posts like these make me think that people like to pretend that everyone is the same.
I think there is a very consistent trend of hyperbolic negative reactions to just about any major video game event. In particular I dislike the narrow-minded opinions that people express when something they don't like is automatically "terrible" and an "awful business decision" or the like. Not every game is made for you (the generic you) and that's ok but forum posters seem to think that every game should be made for them specifically or else there is no purpose in it existing. I would love if people were capable of more nuance and complexity or at least less hyperbolic negativity.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Labo is probably April or May, yeah. I could see a Wii U port like Pikmin 3 coming in one of those months too but I'm not sure where they'd announce it now...

Edit: Ah how about a Detective Pikachu port around when the movie launches?
What if Nintendo does a Mini Direct? We've been talking about stuff "missing" like Pikmin 3, MPT, a possible Detective Pikachu port, DMC Collection. Maybe Nintendo drops a Mini Direct next month.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think I'll buy anything in April and May except for Boxboy. Not a Mortal Kombat fan, and I've played all the Final Fantasy games already. Hopefully some cool indies release, but wouldn't be too surprised if my switch is just left to collect dust until June.

However, after June...
Super Mario Maker 2, FE 3 Houses, Daemon x Machina, MUA3, ASTRAL CHAIN, Zelda, Lugis Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Pokémon Gen 8, all in a 7 month period... I really can't wait

My most hyped game of that month is Dragon's Dogma, so if you've never played that I'd advise looking into it.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think there is a very consistent trend of hyperbolic negative reactions to just about any major video game event. In particular I dislike the narrow-minded opinions that people express when something they don't like is automatically "terrible" and an "awful business decision" or the like. Not every game is made for you (the generic you) and that's ok but forum posters seem to think that every game should be made for them specifically or else there is no purpose in it existing. I would love if people were capable of more nuance and complexity or at least less hyperbolic negativity.
I mean, that isn't true. It is true that this direct had a ton of jrpg stuff. If you aren't into jrpg's, then that's a ton of the direct that basically meant nothing to you. It's fair to just be disappointed if nothing or almost nothing didn't appeal to you.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What if Nintendo does a Mini Direct? We've been talking about stuff "missing" like Pikmin 3, MPT, a possible Detective Pikachu port, DMC Collection. Maybe Nintendo drops a Mini Direct next month.

Well I'm betting there will be a Pokemon direct within the next few weeks which is where they could announce Detective Pikachu or a new Mystery Dungeon or what have you along with the gen 8 games. If we're getting a mini Direct it probably won't be until April or May.

But I could see more game specific Directs like Animal Crossing.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018

Do you really think they would have shown the shoddy Dead By Daylight or Assassins Creed videos if they were planning on revealing things like Pikmin or Metroid next month?

I mean, that isn't true. It is true that this direct had a ton of jrpg stuff. If you aren't into jrpg's, then that's a ton of the direct that basically meant nothing to you. It's fair to just be disappointed if nothing or almost nothing didn't appeal to you.

I get what you're saying dude, I think you just have to come to the conclusion that some people will take issue with your opinion simply because you're not a nintendo bootlicker and didn't 100% love their latest commercial.

coolcam52

Jan 14, 2019
I will be honest, the Three Houses showing dissapointed me a bit. Those cutscenes gave me some serious modern Berserk anime vibes, WAYYY too low framerate, and they barely showed any new gameplay. Still think it'll be good, though. Just wish we saw more of the maps

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Unbelievable direct! Just fantastic non-stop stream of great titles with very little filler.

Yeah, they have got it down to a science now. You can safely get hyped for a direct, it seems.

The Japanese stuff wears me down a bit, but it's to be expected and I do like some of it visually but most of it isn't for me.

Kicking off with Mario Maker 2 was a nice way of saying buckle the fuck up, we are Nintendo and we make sick games.

I see a ton of pikmim 3 talk lately......pikmin doesn't sell guys, that series will be getting an overhaul if it ever comes back, there is no doubt in my mind, trying to sell 3 is not going to go well for anybody involved and I loved it too

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anything is possible with Nintendo. I still say we get a general direct in April and it will show Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 3, Town, etc.

Whatever games insiders have hinted at with Zell, Emily I believe in. It's just when will Nintendo decide to show them?

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I was so excited after watching the Direct for these amazing games appeared on it. Then, I came to Era and found out that most of the discussions are about negative sentiment towards art style, school settings, thigh stockings etc, in unreasonable ways. A good dose of criticism is good for everyone, but when we ignore the good stuff and only discuss those things you don't like, it becomes a problem.

Taking Fire Emblem as an example. I have seen countless posts saying the school background "kills" their interest in the game. I can totally understand not all people think highly of this setting. However, many people are ignoring all the good stuff that this setting can bring to the series, including units customization, affinity events, resources management etc. These features exist in past titles, but undoubtedly not in this scale. The monastery being the hub world has a huge potential right there, but somehow it is reduced to a "anime setting" only. When developers are going bold and wanting to try different things in different entries of the series, some fans just cannot get over the fact that this game is not serving the fantasy and the "right" setting inside their heads which makes them blind to possibilities and potentials. Fire Emblem is my favorite series of all time, but I am so disheartening to the direction of these discussions that I will probably stay far away from the discussion thread.

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
Some quick thoughts on what we saw:
  • Mario Maker 2: Surprised so close to NSMBU release
  • Smash: Expected a full Joker reveal, solid release date, and Character 2 tease. Odd announcement.
  • Dragon Quest X: Expected a June release. Extra features sound nice.
  • Fire Emblem: Delay is a shame. Expected a May release. Doesn't look like the huge leap some fans were hoping for but seems like a solid entry to me. Looking forward to playing later this year.
  • Oninaki: Cool to see another Square RPG...probably not a game for me though. Wonder how this will fare after octopath?
  • Astral Chain: Great to see a new IP. Looks interesting. Will be watching this one.
  • Zelda: Expected this to show up and was glad it did.
    • Intro looked incredible.
    • Not sure about in game art style but expect it to really grow on me.
    • Love the original but hoping for more content/rework of some of the less intuitive parts of the game.
    • A cool add would be to do more with the Marin follower mechanic or a new part of the game where you play as her.
    • Zelda reveals typically use the plain red logo until they show more of the game so it was interesting to see the BOTW logo here. Will there be a connection between the games?
  • Misc: Boxboy, Starlink Update, Captain Toad Update, Daemon X Machina, and Tetris were all really nice. Looking forward to all of these..
Overall very solid direct. Some great announcements and surprises.

What we didn't see both known and rumored:
  • Star Fox/Retro: Crazy to think that we have no idea what Retro has been working on for the last 4 years. Is Star Fox GP a real title? Maybe we will find out at E3. I hope nothing was canned after the rumored scrapped project.
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy: If this is real, which I imagine it is, it could have been held back after the MP4 development trouble. Perhaps they are waiting to release until they have a more clear picture of what MP4 looks like.
  • Town: Was expecting a small update on this with a spring/summer release date. I don't imagine this will release later than June with the team working on Pokemon. Speaking of...
  • Pokemon Gen 8: Wasn't expecting anything more than a slide with a Pokemon logo and "more news soon".
  • Dr. Mario/Mario Kart Tour: Did not expect any mobile news this direct but both are supposed to release this summer.
  • DMC: Wasn't putting too much stock in this one but really feel bad for that one guy in this thread.
  • Resident Evil: I've been expecting this to be revealed at E3 with a fall release.
  • Persona 5: Expected to see this with Joker gameplay...not sure if this is coming anymore or not.
  • Shin Megami Tensei: I've been expecting this to show up at E3 for a while now with a late fall 19/early spring 20 release.
  • Animal Crossing: This one has felt like an E3 reveal since the Tom Nook announcement.
  • Mario Kart + Party DLC: Not sure why we aren't seeing this... Games seem to be moving to an incremental update model and these two games can last the entire Switch lifespan with some additional post launch content.
  • Mario Odyssey DLC: I'm not expecting this at all. It makes more sense for them to follow up Galaxy-style with Odyssey 2.
  • Pikmin 3: This would have been a nice spring title...I guess it isn't ready and will be in the back half of the year.
  • Detective Pikachu: A port with the upcoming movie would make a ton of sense but who knows if they have the resources at the moment.
  • 3D Zelda: It seems obvious that the next Zelda will be using the BOTW engine and my gut says it will be a 2021 release. That said, does Nintendo now have room for three styles of Zelda games? 2D, lower budget 3D Traditional-OOT/WW/TP, and big budget 3D Open World BOTW-style? I kind of think they do. They could do a release cadence of Open World-2D-3D Traditional every 3-4 years. In fact, after their work with MM and OOT I've been surprised we haven't seen Grezzo crank out a lower budget 3D Zelda.

Front half of the year seems bare on the first party side but the second half is absolutely slammed. I imagine that MPT and FE were supposed to bridge that gap at one point in time. Overall it looks like Nintendo is doing an excellent job of executing on their portfolio and I think some of these dev hiccups and delays may have thrown off their release schedule slightly.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
We definitely watched two different directs then.

This also isn't E3. Mind that.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
E3 last year was even worse. I did watch the whole direct. There was a ton of indies and jrpg/anime stuff.
So now it's "jrpg/anime" stuff.

I really don't know this "anime" genre of games though. I only see japanese stuff from japanese developers like Nintendo. Must be me.

Let me add: NIntendo did multiple directs last year. We're getting more info soon enough. Be realistic and remember not everything is for you.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Went in expecting to be pretty disappointed, but left pretty satisfied. The big heavy hitters are going to be held until E3, which was to be expected. Still, Link's Awakening remake looks amazing. SMM2 looks fantastic. Yoshi demo is neat and the anime stuff looks pretty great for what it is, just not my cup of tea. Only negative I have is the Assassin's Creed III remaster looked....rough. Like, really bad.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay? This just comes down to people coming here and getting mad that not everyone thought this was an amazing direct. I'm not responding to every post saying it was amazing and telling them they're wrong. So not sure why those people have to do the opposite.
The problem is the people are who are super negative and using hyperboles of negativity. People prefer to look at "what wasn't there" instead of "what was there". That shit is laced in the gaming community.

Nintendo has multiple events in the year. Of course you're not going to see your franchises in Direct here and there, ESPECIALLY considering the amount of franchises Nintendo has and how varied their fanbase is. This isn't really directed towards you btw.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They added three pretty major Switch releases in Mario Maker 2, Astral Chain, and Zelda: LA Remake that are all releasing this year ... really I don't care for the "well it's not for meeeeeeee!" type reactions, that was a significant Direct.