• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So I wish I could have kept track of all the people with inside information who were hyping this. Imran or someone said this would be big. Whatever this was, it was not big.

I thought this Direct was a huge waste of my time and I wish I hadn't left work early to watch it. I wish I hadn't put off making dinner to stay tuned. I don't know why I still make a huge point to sit down and watch every Nintendo Direct live when most of the time there's only one or two things I care about the entire show.

But this post of yours is very foolish.

You shouldn't be holding other people accountable for your own disappointment. Other people are not responsible for what you, specifically, are interested in, and nobody can ever predict what you will like beforehand. Nobody owes you anything, my man. The only think you should be keeping track of is you.

This was a content-heavy, announcement heavy, and preview heavy. This much is just a fact. If you didn't like any of it, that's okay, you can join people like me at the pity party. But you should abandon the idea that anyone but you is accountable for your individual reaction to a thirty-five minute commercial.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
There's not a single game in the first half of 2019 that I care about. I don't even feel the vibe of Fire Emblem. It's too anime for my tastes. Platinum games usually don't float my boat.

It's just a big empty year (until the end, I hope) for my Switch. And yes, it is personal.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For future reference, ignore Vergeben unless someone with a decent track record backs him up. As mentioned earlier, he's not worth our time.

Screenshot_2019-02-14-12-01-18-1.png

It has no connection to Link's Awakening...

...because it IS Link's Awakening.
troll.png

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
So, was Star Fox GP the Starlink update we will get?

As much as it pains me to say it, this is a distinct possibility, yes.

I still believe Retro Studios MUST have something to show from the past 5 years... but whether it's Star Fox, another Donkey Kong, simply Metroid Prime Trilogy, or something else entirely... I mean, they're just so silent all the time it's frustrating as hell.

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
As much as it pains me to say it, this is a distinct possibility, yes.

I still believe Retro Studios MUST have something to show from the past 5 years... but whether it's Star Fox, another Donkey Kong, simply Metroid Prime Trilogy, or something else entirely... I mean, they're just so silent all the time it's frustrating as hell.
Yeah I mean, this is so close to the rumor. If insiders were wrong about Zelda 2D (cause it's a remake of an old 2d game, but in 3D) they could be also wrong on Star Fox GP, and it's only Starlink with this mode.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i'm happy it was real after all
the VB Wario remake rumor could be actually confirmed at this point if LA was really was an ex-3DS title

Ha, I totally forgot that that LA remake rumour came with other stuff. WarioWare Gold and Link's Awakening remake turned out to be right, maybe VB Wario Land will as well.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Yeah I mean, this is so close to the rumor. If insiders were wrong about Zelda 2D (cause it's a remake of an old 2d game, but in 3D) they could be also wrong on Star Fox GP, and it's only Starlink with this mode.

Yea, agreed. The only thing that doesn't make sense if that is the case though, is why did they mention Retro Studios? Retro have not had any input on Starlink, as far as we know...

Unless of course they have... Retro Studios were working on Star Fox but hit development problems, and ended up inserting a salvagable piece of their game into Starlink instead? I mean... we're entering conspiracy theory territory here...

Another thing I wondered though, that's related, is perhaps Retro Studios did the Metroid Prime Trilogy and THAT'S the game that impressed Nintendo and led to them creating the proof of concept for MP4 and them then receiving the green light to develop MP4?

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Ehh people still listen to Liam Robertson when he said Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 were fake/incorrect.

There's a difference between getting a few things wrong (which most insiders will do because of how game development works/plans change) and Vergeben. He seems to be taking other insiders info and using it as their own, even using Jonneh's kind of 'long shot' prediction as something that was definitely going to happen.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between getting a few things wrong (which most insiders will do because of how game development works/plans change) but Vergeben seems to be taking other insiders info and using it as their own, even using Jonneh's kind of 'long shot' prediction as something that was definitely going to happen.

Yeah, in general I agree that Vergeben seems unreliable at best and a faker at worst.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think Unravel on Switch can lead to more EA support on Switch? Because I really, REALLY need Burnout Paradise on Switch. I've played it for more than 400 hours on 360, having it on the go would be dream coming true. Could you guys help me and buy Unravel to change EA's mind about Switch? It's a great platformer anyway.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, in general I agree that Vergeben seems unreliable at best and a faker at worst.

I would normally have way more sympathy with insiders that get it wrong (and I'm not ruling out that he does have some sources that might know some stuff) but after some of the posts I've seen from him on gamefaqs, he doesn't deserve any.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the direct.

Most excited for Fire Emblem and Astral Chains.
Curiosity peaked for rune factory 5, never played any of the previous in the series. I hope the orchestratated DQ option gets patched into PS4 version.
Bloodstained looked better to me than it has in the past, hoping it's good!
It's also about time mario maker comes to switch!

Gonna get on that cpt. toad tracker co-op, and pick up yoshi when it's out. Also excited to recommend unravel 2 to some people who only have a switch.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
Metroid Prime Trilogy is such a game that either breaks or makes a Direct, at least for me. Had they announced Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch in the Direct, I would have scored it 8.5/10. Now, I would rate the Direct a 6/10. I am only excited in MM2. Astral Chains was a nice surprise also, but not something for me. I don't like 2D Zelda at all. I have never played FF7 so I am not overly excited about that either.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Why not Wii U ports, how else are we going to play donkey Kong tropical freeze or xenoblade chronicles X.As far as I'm concerned they should port every Wii U game on to the switch.how else are we going to play these games.

On Monday I was contemplating buying a Wii U, just so I can play Mario maker. Good thing I waited for the direct. I had a strong suspicion, Nintendo was working on Mario maker 2.
I played all those games.

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
It was a good direct but now I think my suspicions of an April direct will come true.
They can show many games there like LM3, animal crossing. I don't think they will wait till E3 because they will be releasing in sept-oct.
Also smash 3.0 update and give updates on other games like Astral , Fire emblem, Mario maker because they will be releasing in june-aug

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If you're not happy with your switch, you could always sell it. From what I can tell, you don't seem to like Nintendo games. Why did you buy a switch?

My rule is if I don't use a console in 6 to 12 months, then it's time to sell. I didnt turn on my ps3 in 6 months and nothing of interest on the horizon, so I sold it.

888.jpg
Uh but they said they are interested in 5 games coming. It's not their fault those games qre all backloaded and nintendo's first half is like empty. Metroid prime 4 is eventually coming. Prime trilogy will at some point. Other games I want are. Some games have so far. You still are allowrd to criticize.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Uh but they said they are interested in 5 games coming. It's not their fault those games qre all backloaded and nintendo's first half is like empty. Metroid prime 4 is eventually coming. Prime trilogy will at some point. Other games I want are. Some games have so far. You still are allowrd to criticize.

At the same time it's not Nintendo's fault. They can't cater to everyone all of the time. It's also disingenuous to say that Nintendo's first half is empty, it just doesn't have games in it that you are interested in. There's a difference.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Do you guys think Unravel on Switch can lead to more EA support on Switch? Because I really, REALLY need Burnout Paradise on Switch. I've played it for more than 400 hours on 360, having it on the go would be dream coming true. Could you guys help me and buy Unravel to change EA's mind about Switch? It's a great platformer anyway.
Unravel 2 is on PhyreEngine. What engine is Burnout Paradise on?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
At the same time it's not Nintendo's fault. They can't cater to everyone all of the time. It's also disingenuous to say that Nintendo's first half is empty, it just doesn't have games in it that you are interested in. There's a difference.
I mean, they are a company. They aren't doing favors, just making stuff. I don't get why so many people here have to respond to any single post criticizing them.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
January and March had/have Nintendo games. Regarding February, April and May , I wouldn't be surprised if these were not supposed to be empty, with MPT being February or April, and FE April or May, and then between MP4 reboot and FE needing to be delayed a little more, the slots became empty and Nintendo did not have anything significant to refill these with.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. What about the 4 years prior?
If it was good they wouldn't have hired a new studio.

With the announcement of Retro Studios and the declaration that we would have to wait even longer for Metroid, its safe to say that they are starting over from scratch with the new team.

Basically we got an announcement that Nintendo is hitting the reset button, and unlike most game announcements that are announced a year or 2 in development, we get an announcement that is at Day 0

It reminds me of the time when Iwata told us at an old e3 on stage that they were developing a new smash bros with Sakurai directing ...and Sakurai found out while he was sitting in the audience.

We have a long wait ahead of us.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Regarding the first half, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't supposed to be empty, with MPT being February or April, and FE April or May, and then between MP4 reboot and FE delay, the slots became empty and Nintendo did not have anything significant to refill these with.

There's still Labo which is most likely coming soon and there's the possibility of a Pokemon spin-off game to tie in with the movie. But yeah you could be right about the gaps being MPT and FE. Still doesn't make this half of the year empty though, it's just not anywhere near as amazingly stacked that the second half will be.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
The only announcement that made me geek out completely was Link's Awakening. It looks inspired, polished and full of charm. That's Nintendo magic to me.

Mario Maker 2 will be huge, and I'm glad it's coming earlier than we expected, but I just couldn't get into the level editing on Maker 1. I found it a bit overwhelming tbh, though I did put in about 10-15 hours playing user levels. I'll buy it, but it's not inspiring that much hype.

I was so excited to hear about Starfox GP, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing but I'm guessing they're spacing out their highlights so their April Direct has some freshness.

My guess is we'll see Luigi's Mansion, Mario Maker, Fire Emblem, Smash DLC, and Metroid Prime Trilogy in April, and we'll see the new Pokémon by then too. They'll reveal Animal Crossing and Star Fox at E3, and those along with Pokémon, Astral Chain and Zelda will be their big focus at Treehouse Live.

Man the first half of 2019 is probably weaker than 2018 but their second half is fucking bonkers.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
My guess is we'll see Luigi's Mansion, Mario Maker, Fire Emblem, Smash DLC, and Metroid Prime Trilogy in April, and we'll see the new Pokémon by then too. They'll reveal Animal Crossing and Star Fox at E3, and those along with Pokémon, Astral Chain and Zelda will be their big focus at Treehouse Live.
Swap Animal Crossing and MPT reveals and that's what I'm hoping/predicting too.
Don't know when to expect the Pikmin 3 port reveal tho.
Maybe E3 if Pikmin 4 is 2020, in order to tease it. Nintendo usually start to tease their next year's games at E3.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK

I'll happily buy Unravel.

I think it's reasonable to assume that EA support will increase. It takes a little time, but 2019/2020 feels like it'll be the start of a steadier flow.

Feb 2, 2019
There's still Labo which is most likely coming soon and there's the possibility of a Pokemon spin-off game to tie in with the movie. But yeah you could be right about the gaps being MPT and FE. Still doesn't make this half of the year empty though, it's just not anywhere near as amazingly stacked that the second half will be.

Yet, I can't help but find it empty as it is. A remaster, a Yoshi game and Mario Maker 2 for the first half of the year seems just... bad ? Regardless of how you twist it, it won't be remembered as a good first half, not even a meh one. It's always the same thing, some say it can't be that bad and some months after, everyone agrees it was actually that bad (like for the first half of 2018 for exemple).

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am really hyped for Astral Chain. I want to know so much more about it.

Mario Maker 2 is also pretty hype. Even if I don't make any levels of my own, I can still look forward to all the cool levels sure to be in the game.

I'm also ready for that Link's Awakening remake. So down for that artstyle.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I think there will be another direct next month because we dont have an exact date for Mario Maker 2 or other summer titles and we have yet to see any joker gameplay.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I think there will be another direct next month because we dont have an exact date for Mario Maker 2 or other summer titles and we have yet to see any joker gameplay.
A little bit too soon maybe.
April maybe. Last year, there was a direct in january and then in march, two months later.
A general direct only one month after a HUGE Direct like we just got is really really unlikely imo.
Don't get me wrong, I would love it of course. But it's just too soon. We'll have to wait until Yoshi's release.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yet, I can't help but find it empty as it is. A remaster, a Yoshi game and Mario Maker 2 for the first half of the year seems just... bad ? Regardless of how you twist it, it won't be remembered as a good first half, not even a meh one. It's always the same thing, some say it can't be that bad and some months after, everyone agrees it was actually that bad (like for the first half of 2018 for exemple).

The first half of 2018 wasn't bad either imo.

The first half of 2019 will not be empty as there are games coming out. It's completely subjective if they are games for you but there are still there and not invisible. Also let me stress, there are more games coming for H1, but yet again they may not be games that enthusiasts will be too hyped up about.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the general consensus on the Direct? Personally, I came away happier than I could have imagined! Some big highlights for me were:

- Mario Maker 2!
- BoxBoy on Switch?!
- Captain Toad getting DLC and co-op!
- FFIX out today! (yesterday)
- Dragon Quest XI(S) coming this year with orchestrated battle/overworld music!
- More Starfox content in Starlink!
- Shadow dropped demos galore!
- Astral Chains!!!!
- LINKS GODDAMNED AWAKENING REMADE FOR SWITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like hot damn... For a Direct that had basically nothing I could have predicted, it sure had a ton of stuff I didn't know I wanted. I've got quite the Switch game wish list now and it doesn't even include Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, or Pokemon gen 8!