• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Looking forward to E3, where Animal Crossing is the marquee game and gets the majority of focus, and we're told to wait for the next direct.

What are you waiting for, exactly? There are already like a dozen Nintendo published games confirmed for this year, only one of which is a Wii U port. Even if nothing else is announced, this year is vastly different from 2018.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
So after this Direct I'm thinking the rest of the year looks like this, in terms of retail first and second party releases.

* = confirmed
March - Yoshi's Crafted World*
April - Nothing
May - Nothing
June - Super Mario Maker 2*
July - Fire Emblem Three Houses*, Marvel Ult. Alliance 3
August - Astral Chain*, Metroid Prime Trilogy HD
September - Zelda Link's Awakening, Daemon X Machina
October - Luigi's Mansion 3, Pikmin 3 port
November - Pokemon
December - Animal Crossing

First few months are pretty bare but they make up for it with a shit ton of games from June on.
Thoughts?

It's funny that few days ago they aknowledged that weak first half of the year was the reason they missed their expectations, yet here they go again.

It's not an issue for me, as it gives me time to play some older games, but it's surprising.
The savings from first half will be needed for second half.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
What I find amusing is how we consider April an "empty month" when it is probably the month when you'll get release parity with the other platforms + additionnal releases like exclusives (Dragon Ball , BoxBoy) and highly requested ports.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind that Nintendo were talking fiscal year. Also keep in mind that there is still likely to be games in April and/or May that haven't been announced yet.

Isnt it a bit late to announce anything remotely big for april/may now? The best thing we can hope for is unannounced eshop/indie titles..

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I also find this so strange... this year jan to may is even MORE barren than last year.

Seriously they cant even push out a wii u port?

Jan-March is not very busy at all, further highlighted by the fact that the compeitition got RE2 Remake and KH3. but April / May has a lot of 3rd party stuff.

March/April has Yoshi i guess.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
The Fire Emblem delay from spring to summer definitely impacted the game release schedule. Sometimes things like that happen- game development is tough work! As fans, all we can do is be patient (and play the many other games available to us in the meantime).

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
the very tiny and cryptic morsel of Smash info in this Direct definitely made me think we'll be getting SOME sort of Smash-specific Direct pretty soon

Pokemon's probably gonna make its big entrance pretty soon, too

2019's a lot of fun so far
Smash is 100% getting a direct or video presentation or something to itself. Sakurai probably wants to go in depth on new modes and Joker, and end it with a DLC 2 reveal.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys feel Super Mario Maker 2 will compare by the end of the year with Animal Crossing and Pokemon?

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Pretty good Direct. Lots of variaty coming to Switch. I'm pretty excited about the Plantinum game and Link's Awakening.

This was the first time I followed the leaks and predictions on Era, and god they were INSANE. DMC trilogy, Metroid Prime trilogy, Pikmin 3 port and 4, AC, new 2D Zelda, Star Fox GP. Is it always like this? I see now why some people were dissapointed with this Direct, the hype was off the charts.

Nov 28, 2018
Florida
What happened to Animal Crossing in the direct for the September release date? 😢
I never said Animal Crossing would be in the direct. And about the release date, I just said that I heard it's in fall, so the September release date is probably real but I wasn't given a specific date yet.
Unfortunately my range of information is very small due to my source's position at NoA. I was only given Link's Awakening info for this direct, but now I realize the crab tease wasn't the best, lol.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so proud of my fellow Nintendo Youtubers. So many of them are asking "if this was the greatest Nintendo Direct of all time?" I loved how happy they were with the announcements. One even acknowledged all these games aren't meant for him, but he understood how great this Direct was and it wasn't bad because it didn't cater his favorite Nintendo franchises.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys feel Super Mario Maker 2 will compare by the end of the year with Animal Crossing and Pokemon?
It will be no slouch, but I think the latter will outsell it by the end of the year, though it might be more of a close race with AC.

If Pokemon is as new and radical (while not sucking) as we've heard, it's going to be monster.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty good Direct. Lots of variaty coming to Switch. I'm pretty excited about the Plantinum game and Link's Awakening.

This was the first time I followed the leaks and predictions on Era, and god they were INSANE. DMC trilogy, Metroid Prime trilogy, Pikmin 3 port and 4, AC, new 2D Zelda, Star Fox GP. Is it always like this? I see now why some people were dissapointed with this Direct, the hype was off the charts.
Yeah pretty much. Also keep in mind how meager 2018 was for alot of fans and insiders constantly talking about how exciting 2019 was going to be with some teasing some of those titles.

Granted alot of them like King Zell did stress that they wouldn't be in the Direct but it still brought in alot of expectations.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Isnt it a bit late to announce anything remotely big for april/may now? The best thing we can hope for is unannounced eshop/indie titles..

Oh I wasn't talking 'big' games. Labo for April and a Pokemon spin-off in May are the types of games I'm talking about. That's still probably a little less than what Nintendo wanted to have out in H1 (Fire Emblem and MPT).

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'll be honest i don't get how you can be disappointed with this direct
like if it didn't showcase the game you wanted it just means it's not releasing before summer as this direct focused on spring & summer. there's E3 for that, but you may want to temper your expectation if you're anticipating half a dozen more major 1st party announcements for this year

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has a lot of IP's to talk about. They can't talk about all of them in a single Direct. They do 4 or so presentations a year. They like to do around 3 of their own IP's in a single direct. September Direct had AC and Luigi's Mansion 3 as new Nintendo IP's with Super Mario Party. This direct had new Mario Maker 2 and Links Awakening with Fire Emblem. Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, etc will come, but you can't expect it all in a single direct.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
like if it didn't showcase the game you wanted it just means it's not releasing before summer as this direct focused on spring & summer. there's E3 for that, but you may want to temper your expectation if you're anticipating half a dozen more major 1st party announcements for this year
My 3 current most wanted are FE, SMT and Bayo 3. One was delayed, the other two are MIA and basically confirmed not in this year.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My 3 current most wanted are FE, SMT and Bayo 3. One was delayed, the other two are MIA and basically confirmed not in this year.

I get the disappointment about the delay for FE, but it's for the best considering how better it looks compared to last E3. Both SMT & Bayo 3 weren't showcased as they aren't planned for this year (and never were).

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get the disappointment about the delay for FE, but it's for the best considering how better it looks compared to last E3. Both SMT & Bayo 3 weren't showcased as they aren't planned for this year (and never were).
Well, they never said SMT and Bayo 3 wouldn't be 2019. So it was basically another two deconfirmations just a few days after Prime 4 was rebooted. So yeah, it's a bit disappointing.

Helps that the Zelda I was hyped about was just a remake and some other stuff I could like to see (Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion) was not shown too. Not much for the first half of the year iin general.

It definitely had games (some that I loved to see such as Boxboy and Astral Chain), but I still felt bittersweet by the end thanks to how they announce so many games and then we notice during these presentations that they're not close at all.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
As for when the next Direct will be, going to say it'll probably be in less than two weeks.

Tuesday, the 26th, Pokemon Direct is what I see going down soon.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
As for when the next Direct will be, going to say it'll probably be in less than two weeks.

Tuesday, the 26th, Pokemon Direct is what I see going down soon.

I agree with you, the 26th is likely going to be Gen 8 reveal. The better question, however, is if we will get an Animal Crossing direct before E3? 🤔

I never said Animal Crossing would be in the direct. And about the release date, I just said that I heard it's in fall, so the September release date is probably real but I wasn't given a specific date yet.
Unfortunately my range of information is very small due to my source's position at NoA. I was only given Link's Awakening info for this direct, but now I realize the crab tease wasn't the best, lol.

Gotcha, sorry, wasn't trying to act like you did. I guess someone mis-quoted what you said, what I heard was that you said AC would be in the direct, but September release date was real.

Question as for your opinion: If you think AC is coming in September, do you think we'll hear something of it before E3? 3 months doesn't seem like enough time to hype up a game of AC's caliber...

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
What if Animal Crossing is in a general direct before E3?

Wouldn't that have been this direct, if it was gonna be in a general? By the time the next general rolls around (and it's questionable whether we'll get a general before E3), everyone will be saying how we won't get AC because "it's not the time." I kinda agree with that. AC needs like 10 minutes at the least in order to show the new aspects of the game. I think it has to be E3 or it's own direct...

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

I hate to single out Metroid fans, but I feel like most of the disappointment is coming from them. And I don't blame them for feeling disappointed. Metroid Prime 4 was delayed to who knows when, and there's been no announcement of Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Otherwise, 2019 is extremely solid for fans of Nintendo's other IPs.

Mario IP is covered (NSMBU + Super Mario Maker 2 + Luigi's Mansion + Yoshi)
Zelda IP is covered (Link's Awakening remake)
Pokemon IP is covered. (8th gen pokemon)
Fire Emblem IP is covered. (Three Houses)
Animal Crossing IP is covered (Coming soon)
New IPs are covered. (Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina)
eShop games are covered. (Box Boy + Tetris. There's more eshop announcements coming this year.)

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
At first I was kinda disappointed because of lack of Metroid, but the more I think about it the more stuff that was shown appeals to me. Bit of a slow start to the year but it really ramps up mid year.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to single out Metroid fans, but I feel like most of the disappointment is coming from them. And I don't blame them for feeling disappointed. Metroid Prime 4 was delayed to who knows when, and there's been no announcement of Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Otherwise, 2019 is extremely solid for fans of Nintendo's other IPs.

Mario IP is covered (NSMBU + Super Mario Maker 2 + Luigi's Mansion + Yoshi)
Zelda IP is covered (Link's Awakening remake)
Pokemon IP is covered. (8th gen pokemon)
Fire Emblem IP is covered. (Three Houses)
Animal Crossing IP is covered (Coming soon)
New IPs are covered. (Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina)
eShop games are covered. (Box Boy + Tetris. There's more eshop announcements coming this year.)
Yeah, overall it was a good Direct but the lack of Prime Trilogy is just kind of annoying at this point.

It's like the one thing insiders hint at that doesn't happen, yet the one thing I want most. Feels like the universe working against me lol.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019

I really want to know more about AC, but I'm not disappointed with the direct just because of that. I thought it was fantastic overall. Mario Maker 2 and Link's Awakening remake could have been enough to make 2019 a good year for me. But knowing that AC is supposed to come out this year and not hearing anything about it is inherently slightly disappointing. That doesn't mean I disliked the direct, just that I'm disappointed to not hear more about AC.