• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to single out Metroid fans, but I feel like most of the disappointment is coming from them. And I don't blame them for feeling disappointed. Metroid Prime 4 was delayed to who knows when, and there's been no announcement of Metroid Prime Trilogy.
giphy.webp

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't that have been this direct, if it was gonna be in a general? By the time the next general rolls around (and it's questionable whether we'll get a general before E3), everyone will be saying how we won't get AC because "it's not the time." I kinda agree with that. AC needs like 10 minutes at the least in order to show the new aspects of the game. I think it has to be E3 or it's own direct...
I think it's better to have its own direct. Animal Crossing being slower paced and have a lot to show of what you can do should be its own direct.

I think it goes
Pokémon Direct
Animal Crossing Direct
General Direct or maybe even Mini Direct
E3 direct

Oct 27, 2017
So the Daemon x Machina demo....that was kind of rough.

It had fun elements in there! But it felt kind of the controls were all over the place, framerate was bad too.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
I think it's better to have its own direct. Animal Crossing being slower paced and have a lot to show of what you can do should be its own direct.

I think it goes
Pokémon Direct
Animal Crossing Direct
General Direct or maybe even Mini Direct
E3 direct

I would love that. This is the perfect schedule of directs imo. I can't wait to hear more about Pokemon and AC specifically.

Also, I'm definitely not saying Nintendo is doomed because we didn't see AC. I'm super happy with what they revealed in the direct. I just hope that we actually get all of the games that are dated for this year. If we do, this will be one of Nintendo's best years in a long time. Beats 2017 imo.

Also, people need to understand that the reason people are so worried about AC is what they did with NL. They treated it like no one cared about it and were totally silent about it for over 2 years. It was 3 years after announcement to release. I don't think that will happen this time, but I'm not convinced that it's coming this year until I get a release date.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
i'll be honest i don't get how you can be disappointed with this direct
like if it didn't showcase the game you wanted it just means it's not releasing before summer as this direct focused on spring & summer. there's E3 for that, but you may want to temper your expectation if you're anticipating half a dozen more major 1st party announcements for this year
No Animal Crossing and hardly any titels before June

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
So the Daemon x Machina demo....that was kind of rough.

It had fun elements in there! But it felt kind of the controls were all over the place, framerate was bad too.
I haven't noticed bad frame rate yet but I haven't played a ton of it either. At first I was disappointed by the way my mech hits the ground after dropping from the air but then I looked at the potential upgrades and noticed one reduces movement lag after landing so I'm thinking by the end of the game your mech is going to feel amazing (depending on upgrades). I also appreciate the devs asking for feedback so I think we all need to dig deep and provide a lot of constructive info. This game has the potential to be very special.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to single out Metroid fans, but I feel like most of the disappointment is coming from them. And I don't blame them for feeling disappointed. Metroid Prime 4 was delayed to who knows when, and there's been no announcement of Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Otherwise, 2019 is extremely solid for fans of Nintendo's other IPs.

Mario IP is covered (NSMBU + Super Mario Maker 2 + Luigi's Mansion + Yoshi)
Zelda IP is covered (Link's Awakening remake)
Pokemon IP is covered. (8th gen pokemon)
Fire Emblem IP is covered. (Three Houses)
Animal Crossing IP is covered (Coming soon)
New IPs are covered. (Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina)
eShop games are covered. (Box Boy + Tetris. There's more eshop announcements coming this year.)

No, I think most of the disappointment comes from people who want more third party representation. Nintendo can cover their own IPs but they fail at covering all genres. They depend on third parties to take that duty but so far their support has been unimpressive. There were only three big third party reveals at the direct: Oninaki, Assassin's Creed 3 and Rune Factory (Unravel too but I'm not sure it can be considered as "big" release). People, myself included, watched the direct with big expectations full of Devil May Crys and Kingdom Hearts and disappointed big time. We didn't even get that Spyro announcement that was heavily rumored.

I don't know if it's going to be improved, but second half of the year has no third party game slated for release other than Dragon Quest games and that worries some folks. I mean, simple last gen ports can make lots of people real happy (like Dragon's Dogma announcement) but even they are pretty rare.

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany

eShop games are covered. (Box Boy + Tetris. There's more eshop announcements coming this year.)
With the mystery games #1-3 all covered and all pretty big hitters (Mario Maker 2, Zelda, Astral Chain) would you say that #4 is in the same ballpark or is it a smaller game?

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
No, I think most of the disappointment comes from people who want more third party representation. Nintendo can cover their own IPs but they fail at covering all genres. They depend on third parties to take that duty but so far their support has been unimpressive. There were only three big third party reveals at the direct: Oninaki, Assassin's Creed 3 and Rune Factory (Unravel too but I'm not sure it can be considered as "big" release). People, myself included, watched the direct with big expectations full of Devil May Crys and Kingdom Hearts and disappointed big time. We didn't even get that Spyro announcement that was heavily rumored.

I don't know if it's going to be improved, but second half of the year has no third party game slated for release other than Dragon Quest games and that worries some folks. I mean, simple last gen ports can make lots of people real happy (like Dragon's Dogma announcement) but even they are pretty rare.

Are there actually many third party games announced for H2 on any platform right now?

Late ports etc can be announced on Twitter and don't need directs.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Metroid is a bit sad, but what's worse to me is that we'll manage to clear 2017/2018/2019 without any single SMT on the system.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the entire time I was just waiting for the MPT announcement. Luckily for me I'm also a huge DQ fan so that was an awesome surprise but I can totally understand people being upset about no Metroid.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
While I am disappointed with the lack of Metroid Pride Trilogy I am also becoming increasingly excited for many of the games shown yesterday. It is understandable that people can feel their specific IPs were not represented (AC, Metroid, Luigi's Mansion) but from the objective standpoint of someone who just loves video games Nintendo continues to impress with this system.

I get the feeling that Nintendo has so much in the hopper they are struggling to find an effective way to release it all. Its either a flood of content or a drip feed and I am leaning more toward the opinion that the flood gates are starting to buckle.

At this point it is very easy for me to see how Nintendo plans to push the Switch through 8 or so years of support (especially if they have upgraded hardware planned).

I know that right now it may feel as though our favorites are not being represented or are being pushed far into the future but by the end of the Switch's lifespan it will most likely be considered one of the greatest consoles ever.
Nintendo is in a position to drop bomb after bomb year after year for the better part of a decade. In addition to this we will continue to see greater 3rd party support and it is no secret that indie games have found a perfect home here too.

I do not fully understand why Nintendo intentionally has left these next two months rather bare but I'm certain they still have some surprises in store.
And beside that May, June, July, & the rest of 2019 will arrive before we know it.

All of that to say I did want Metroid Prime Trilogy but am very very excited regardless.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
It comes from multiple sources, including king zell.

yup there was enough evidence to believe king zell as well as other insiders know something is cooking for MPT. Maybe Nintendo decided to delay it for E3 or later with MP4 being delayed.

king zell correctly predicted Maker 2, Boxboy, and Zelda 2D and being announced in 2019. He never said MPT was a definite show for this Direct rather it was a good possibility. He has a good enough track record for leaks historically to at least give some trust to his posts.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Are there actually many third party games announced for H2 on any platform right now?

Late ports etc can be announced on Twitter and don't need directs.

No but on other platforms, everyone assume annual franchises will be there H2. Same can't be said for Switch as third parties are really unpredictable when it comes to Switch. Seriously, they're so unpredictable, every single announcement come out like a shock. Who would have guessed Civilization VI? Or Saints Row The Third? Even MK11 getting a Switch version was a huge surprise.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I was expecting Three Houses to release in late June, so for me the delay is pretty immaterial. Astral Chain looked amazing, the most hyped I've been for a new Nintendo IP since Xenoblade was shown a decade ago. Pretty good Direct from my perspective.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Just thinking of the fact that prime trilogy has been done for months and might be sat on for maybe 2 years is frustrating. Like the game is right there...just put it out.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
This can't be the last Direct before E3 because they have to have something where they discuss the future of the 3DS going forward

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just thinking of the fact that prime trilogy has been done for months and might be sat on for maybe 2 years is frustrating. Like the game is right there...just put it out.
That's crazy stupid, but I don't doubt at all this game was delayed to hell just because of Prime 4 being so far away.

One of the most stupid decisions they could make and I don't even care about replaying the trilogy. Sucks for everyone who wants it. Feels like only Nintendo would do something like this.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is definitely the most frustrating part I agree. When you know something like MPT is finished and Nintendo is holding it until god knows when

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Glad to see the general reaction from YouTubers is positive -- I feel like there's a fair amount of "Nintendo didn't announce the specific things they never indicated they would announce but that I decided I wanted beforehand, therefore this was bad" in this thread, which had me confused as I thought it was a really solid Direct with a nice variety of content. On the Metroid thing, I'm as big a Metroid fan as anyone, but given the recent Metroid 4 announcement, it's likely just too early to put the trilogy out there (I do believe it exists, as the rumors indicate). I understand it would be nice to throw fans a bone, but given the density of this Direct, there wasn't really a need for more content (see also Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and Luigi).

I intentionally avoided rumors and such, so for me, Mario Maker 2, Link's Awakening, Astral Motherfucking Chain, Tetris 99, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest XI, Hellblade, Deltarune and the Daemon X Machina demo were all absolute bangers -- that's nine "yes" moments over 35 minutes, with plenty of "oh neats" in between. On a personal (and biased) level, I'm kind of stoked that it's stacked toward the summer, given my backlog, though I won't say that's a universally "good" thing. Absolutely loved that we saw a just about fully formed Platinum game with such a killer aesthetic and pedigree and immediately got a solid, not-too-far-away release date for it. I reckon the dates here mean that Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion and Link's Awakening are Nintendo's first-party Q4 lineup, which sounds stellar to me.

The only thing that had me scratching my head in a minor way was Bloodstained. It seemed to be more of a reminder of "hey, this exists," as I laughed out loud at the seemingly perpetual lack of release date for that thing. Seems like this shit's gonna be in 2022 Directs without a date at this point. If I were to backseat drive, collaborating with Team Cherry on the Hollow Knight sequel announcement might have better served the time.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy stupid, but I don't doubt at all this game was delayed to hell just because of Prime 4 being so far away.

One of the most stupid decisions they could make and I don't even care about replaying the trilogy. Sucks for everyone who wants it. Feels like only Nintendo would do something like this.
They are my favorite games ever and have wanted them in HD pretty much since the wii u was announced. I would have rather not even have all the evidence that not only does it exist, but has been done for months. Now it could be like maybe early/mid 2021 when it comes out. I'm going to keep wanting it more and more every direct now.

Edit-I know Nintendo has sat on games before...but this would have to be unprecedented, to sit on a completely finished game for maybe 2.5 years

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
No but on other platforms, everyone assume annual franchises will be there H2. Same can't be said for Switch as third parties are really unpredictable when it comes to Switch. Seriously, they're so unpredictable, every single announcement come out like a shock. Who would have guessed Civilization VI? Or Saints Row The Third? Even MK11 getting a Switch version was a huge surprise.

While they are unpredictable it doesn't mean that the Switch isn't getting third party games. Japanese third parties will continue throughout the year and I'm sure there will be some western games too. Spyro being obvious and I could see a GTAV reveal at E3. There will be FIFA too. Most publishers are getting on board with their AA and lower games now so it's just a wait and see kind of thing. We also know that Panic Button are working on multiple Switch projects right now.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017

This is 100% it. All I wanted was Metroid.

I fell for the rumor mill hints and hype again, and it's really my fault.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Releasing MPT closer to MP4's release date will lead to way higher risk of franchise fatigue and hence adversely affect MP4...

Pretty sure WWHD & TPHD were used to tide fans over until BOTW.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Or they could have gone in expecting it to be focused on the first half of the year because all we knew about was Yoshi. Now we've got Yoshi and Boxboy.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Releasing MPT closer to MP4's release date will lead to way higher risk of franchise fatigue and hence adversely affect MP4...

Pretty sure WWHD & TPHD were used to tide fans over until BOTW.
That's what I think too. Plus, the earlier it's out, the more people will get to play it. If people play the trilogy and love it, they aren't going to just forget about that when prime 4 comes out and be like "well trilogy came out too long ago, I can't remember if I liked it or not...not getting 4."

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Emily said on twitter she gives the Direct a B+ and notes that it's not higher because "not much first party software has been announced for April or May yet"

I'm not sure if that's meant to be interpreted as there will be first party software for April and May or noy

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
How can people blame Nintendo for Prime trilogy "delay" when it's all base off insider info.

It's something we aren't suppose to know anything about.

This is one of the reasons leaks just lead to frustration and aggressive comments. Leakers get attacked when it doesn't happen. Nintendo does as well. It's just a Lose-lose situation, when things don't go as planned.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Emily said on twitter she gives the Direct a B+ and notes that it's not higher because "not much first party software has been announced for April or May yet"

I'm not sure if that's meant to be interpreted as there will be first party software for April and May or noy
I kind of doubt it. If there even if another general direct before e3, it would be in april already, but that seems unlikely since this direct announced past april and may.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
How can people blame Nintendo for Prime trilogy "delay" when it's all base off insider info.

This is one of the reasons leaks just lead to frustration and aggressive comments. Leakers get attacked when it doesn't happen. Nintendo does as well. It's just a Lose-lose situation, when things don't go as planned.
We aren't supposed to, but now we do...so it is what it is.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And Tetris 99, and this little game called Mario Maker 2.
Mario Maker is currently scheduled for "June" for all we know it could come out towards the end of the month putting it into the second half of the year.

Tetris 99 is on the same level as something like Twilight Princess Picross. A small title in order to make a poor service look a bit more appealing.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017

I don't think it's necessarily "blame" but more so that the strong desire for MPT really just does stem from the fact that in the overall software library there isn't any other alternative(s).

Obviously the manifestation of such desire is resulting in frustration etc. Not that it excuses it by any means.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Maker is currently scheduled for "June" for all we know it could come out towards the end of the month putting it into the second half of the year.

Tetris 99 is on the same level as something like Twilight Princess Picross. A small title in order to make a poor service look a bit more appealing.

End of June is still the first half of the year.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I agree with almost everything you're saying (I always assume Nintendo vague dates now means they're always releasing at the latest day possible), but the comparison with TP Picross isn't good. Tetris 99 seems to be way bigger and with more longevity.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France

Mario Maker could be a summer title yes.
But if we're just talking about "first half" of the year, then since june is the 6th month, it's literally in the first half of the year. Until the first day of july.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

I think Nintendo is leaving those months to third party. April already has insane amount of third party games. While may has only one (AC3), it's likely that many announced but not dated titles can come out in that month. We got Resident Evils, FFCC, Saints Row and so on. I expect to see not yet announced third party games for May too.