• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I think Nintendo is leaving those months to third party. April already has insane amount of third party games. While may has only one (AC3), it's likely that many announced but not dated titles can come out in that month. We got Resident Evils, FFCC, Saints Row and so on. I expect to see not yet announced third party games for May too.

Emily has already said that Labo should be around April and that it could be interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
Or they could have gone in expecting it to be focused on the first half of the year because all we knew about was Yoshi. Now we've got Yoshi and Boxboy.
Well first half has:

New Super Mario Bros U, Wargroove, Travis Strikes Again plus upcoming: Yoshi, Box Boy, Smash DLC, Mario Maker 2, Mortal Kombat 11, CTR, FF7, FF9, FF X/X-2, FF12, My Time at Portia, Sonic Racing, Dragons Dogma, AC3 Remastered, Wasteland 2, Hellblade, and others before summer (end of June)

The rest of summer is packed with: Oninaki, Astral Chain, Fire Emblem, DQ Builders 2.

I'd say first half of 2019 is packed no matter what your tastes are.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
-mario
-dragon quest theme
-ffvii
-melodies of life
-fire emblem
-that daemonxmachina menu theme
-TETRIS
-hellblade
-marins song

I don't know about you guys
But that direct was aural bliss

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Nintendo is leaving those months to third party. April already has insane amount of third party games. While may has only one (AC3), it's likely that many announced but not dated titles can come out in that month. We got Resident Evils, FFCC, Saints Row and so on. I expect to see not yet announced third party games for May too.
Labo is coming dude. Should be April or May

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
What a poor excuse that doesn't justify the majority of comments regarding this subject.

It goes even further than just knowing that the game exists because rumors have said that the game is already finished and ready to go, which may not necessarily be true at all. This I think is what is annoying fans as they want it now and can't understand why Nintendo would hold on it (if indeed they are). Leaking/rumors are usually fun but unfortunately this is a downside of that.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
I enjoyed the direct very much. I've been desperate for release information on the Dragon Quest games. I'll take "Fall" for now. Very excited for June. I'm also equal parts excited and nervous about Rune Factory 5. Those games were my jam, even the Tides of Destiny one. It was a solid Direct. Games for me, games not for me. I'm happy.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Emily said on twitter she gives the Direct a B+ and notes that it's not higher because "not much first party software has been announced for April or May yet"

I'm not sure if that's meant to be interpreted as there will be first party software for April and May or noy

I have the new Labo pegged as a Spring release - with April at the earliest.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
We know the game is there, and according to everything has been ready for months. We know, and Nintendo is apparently sitting on the game. You can just ignore the posts if you don't agree with them.
You keep missing the point. Also no really knows for sure if the game is actually ready to go.

Before this year, people were sure Prime 4 looked good base off Vern, something you have acknowledged and hyped you for Prime 4 news. Things/plans change, but you keep ignoring the actual issues I'm talking about.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
You keep missing the point. Also no really knows for sure if the game is actually ready to go.

Before this year, people were sure Prime 4 looked good base off Vern, something you have acknowledged and hyped you for Prime 4 news. Things/plans change, but you keep ignoring the actual issues I'm talking about.
He said that like december 2017 and also said it would be in the january direct, so most people got over that pretty quick. This isn't even about vern. Zell and imran and zhuge also. Either way, prime trilogy is going to be speculated and wanted every direct going forward, so you can keep complaining about not supposed to be knowing it if you want or just ignore people wanting it. Me and a lot of people have it in our heads now, we aren't just going to forget it.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
I have the new Labo pegged as a Spring release - with April at the earliest.
A new Labo kit releasing this spring is interesting cause if a joyconless mini Switch is releasing later this year aimed at a younger audience I just can't see how it would be compatible with this newly released Labo kit which would probably be aimed at the very same audience interested in a smaller Switch. I really thought Labo was dead a few months ago and that Nintendo would let it go. Sold more than 1 million combined and probably helped expand some of the Switch's audience but I believe they should change their strategy with it if they want to keep pushing it. There's a way to reach both kids/families and Nintendo fans, that is by using Nintendo IPs for Labo. I hope that's the case in the upcoming kit. I wish it was Pokemon Snap x Labo.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
2019 is shaping up to be the best year in a Nintendo console with some of the best 1st support ever and some great 3rd games.

Couldnt be happier

Plus theres no way that by February we will already know the entire Nintendo release schedule for the year.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
his isn't even about vern. Zell and imran and zhuge also. Either way, prime trilogy is going to be speculated and wanted every direct going forward, so you can keep complaining about not supposed to be knowing it if you want or just ignore people wanting it.

Speculating and wanting MPT is fine, we all want more games of our favorite franchises, I get that. I understand that Prime 3 came out in 2007 so we could be looking at 15+ years between 3 and 4. I get the thirst especially as there is such a big deal being made of an upressed port of a decade old game. The complaining after every direct/chance that we could see it is annoying. We've had insiders harassed/quit leaking because of this game and the fact that it wasn't announced when they said it would be. It just seems like a bit much to me. The game will come when it comes, it may still be this year.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Speculating and wanting MPT is fine, we all want more games of our favorite franchises, I get that. I understand that Prime 3 came out in 2007 so we could be looking at 15+ years between 3 and 4. I get the thirst especially as there is such a big deal being made of an upressed port of a decade old game. The complaining after every direct/chance that we could see it is annoying. We've had insiders harassed/quit leaking because of this game and the fact that it wasn't announced when they said it would be. It just seems like a bit much to me. The game will come when it comes, it may still be this year.
Well you can ignore it if it's annoying honestly. I can't help the fact that I really, really, really, really want to play it. No one here has been harassing anyone about it this time at all. It might be the next direct, or e3, or the direct after, etc. People are going to keep speculating. Not sure what else to say.

Deleted member 40604

Banned
Mar 3, 2018
Good lord the last 6 months of this year is looking stacked. And I'm sure it will get even more stacked once E3 rolls around. Sucks that there isn't much pegged for April or May (not really interested in Labo). However I'll be playing FFX and FF12, as well as MK11 that month so perhaps it's best if there's a lull in first party games for that time period 😏

I'm starting to think that Bayonetta 3 isn't going to be a 2019 title now but that's ok. Astral Chain looks like an amazing title to play in the mean time.

Not sure why people are mad about Prime Trilogy not showing up. It's technically not even official, and buying into leaks and rumors is your perogative I guess. But to hold it against Nintendo is just... lmao. They're not obligated to announce a game that you wouldn't even be aware of if it wasn't for rumors like wtf.

On that note is Star Fox GP just bunk now? What is the deal with that game? Almost every insider was dead sure it was real last year. Now there's rumors swirling that it might have been an elaborate industry hoax? There's no way people confused it for Star Link right!? This is the most bizarre story to come out of this direct imo.

Overall a pretty solid direct. I liked how most of the reveals were new, and help compliment the stuff we already knew about. I much rather know about what is new than see a trailer for something like Animal Crossing which would have been cool, but let's face it that's still gonna be super far away from release.

Also Emily was spot on about this being the year they go after the handheld audience. Rune Factory 5, a plethora of JRPGs, 2D Zelda, Animal Crossing. I can't wait until more traditionally handheld series start making their way over. I'm also convinced that a new Switch model this year is going to focus even more on portability and being cheap. A Switch Pro is not what it will be.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
On that note is Star Fox GP just bunk now? What is the deal with that game? Almost every insider was dead sure it was real last year. Now there's rumors swirling that it might have been an elaborate industry hoax? There's no way people confused it for Star Link right!? This is the most bizarre story to come out of this direct imo.

I'm not sure it was a hoax since that, I'd say, implies some intent to mislead. I'd sooner say folks got their wires crossed with some new modes in Starlink, since it's easy to look at it and think that it's a Star Fox thing with racing in it. I think everyone was confused by the details, though I don't know why they thought Retro specifically was involved (it doesn't seem like there was any evidence to point to that?)

While it's good to clear up what was otherwise a pretty confusing announcement, it does make me sad that no longer is it so clear that the best ending of Star Fox Command has been declared the canon one:

starfoxcom9-52.png
starfoxcom9-53.png

Deleted member 40604

Banned
Mar 3, 2018
I'm not sure it was a hoax since that, I'd say, implies some intent to mislead. I'd sooner say folks got their wires crossed with some new modes in Starlink, since it's easy to look at it and think that it's a Star Fox thing with racing in it. I think everyone was confused by the details, though I don't know why they thought Retro specifically was involved (it doesn't seem like there was any evidence to point to that?)

To clarify I'm not saying insiders were trying to mislead people. What I mean is that either insiders got completely confused about Star Link, or someone was leaking false information to insiders see how far it would spread. Here's a post from GFaqs that prompted me to consider whether someone was fooling around with insiders and giving them false info.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77476995/917473059

RibMac

Feb 6, 2019
No way, they would have given us a date if that was the case.

I'm so confused on their spacing this year. Their only big hitter before E3 will likely be Yoshi, while after they will have Mario Maker 2 (likely), Fire Emblem, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Town and third party exclusives like Daemon X Machina, Astral Chain and Ultimate Alliance 3. Not to mention the rumoured Pikmin 3 and Metroid Prime Trilogy ports (unless MPT got delayed).

What are the odds that none of these games get delayed :P It makes me think something's up since Q3/Q4 seems PACKED while Q1/Q2 is relatively barren.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018

While it's good to clear up what was otherwise a pretty confusing announcement, it does make me sad that no longer is it so clear that the best ending of Star Fox Command has been declared the canon one:

starfoxcom9-52.png
starfoxcom9-53.png
Is this real?
I've never played it

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
We know the game is there, and according to everything has been ready for months. We know, and Nintendo is apparently sitting on the game. You can just ignore the posts if you don't agree with them.

That's nothing new. Yoshi has been available for preload 3 month before release, yet people will not be able to play it. Nintendo will make finished games available when they feel it makes the most sense business-wise.

At this point, MPT doesn't exist from an official POV. For all we know, Nintendo might cancel the product.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That's nothing new. Yoshi has been available for preload 3 month before release, yet people will not be able to play it. Nintendo will make finished games available when they feel it makes the most sense business-wise.

At this point, MPT doesn't exist from an official POV. For all we know, Nintendo might cancel the product.
Why would they cancel it when prime 4 is coming out? That makes no sense.

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I could see them waiting till MP4 is further along to re-release the trilogy. Business wise that would also make sense. I wouldn't worry at all even if we didn't see it this year. Don't think it not being revealed right now means anything at all considering the situation. Could go either way really

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
I'm so confused on their spacing this year. Their only big hitter before E3 will likely be Yoshi, while after they will have Mario Maker 2 (likely), Fire Emblem, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Town and third party exclusives like Daemon X Machina, Astral Chain and Ultimate Alliance 3. Not to mention the rumoured Pikmin 3 and Metroid Prime Trilogy ports (unless MPT got delayed).

What are the odds that none of these games get delayed :P It makes me think something's up since Q3/Q4 seems PACKED while Q1/Q2 is relatively barren.

Meh, its an improvement over 2018 where they put their only two big games at the very end of the year

RibMac

Feb 6, 2019
Meh, its an improvement over 2018 where they put their only two big games at the very end of the year

In 2018 they also delayed Yoshi and Fire Emblem after saying they were coming in 2018 in the investor's meeting. My only concern is that they have enough games hypothetically for one big exclusive a month, so I have a suspicion something will get delayed :/ imo it would be Town and Luigi's Mansion 3.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
In 2018 they also delayed Yoshi and Fire Emblem after saying they were coming in 2018 in the investor's meeting. My only concern is that they have enough games hypothetically for one big exclusive a month, so I have a suspicion something will get delayed :/ imo it would be Town and Luigi's Mansion 3.
LM3 looked pretty done, and that was 5 months ago. I can't see that being delayed until 2020.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017

Maybe Fire Emblem one more time :\

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

Why is the investor's meeting important? Do you have any examples where an investor's meeting has been the arena for announcing changes in the launch schedule?

RibMac

Feb 6, 2019
Why is the investor's meeting important? Do you have any examples where an investor's meeting has been the arena for announcing changes in the launch schedule?

I included that because they said in this year's meeting that AC and LM3 are 2019 games (that's pretty much the only news we got on these two games this year), but last year that didn't stop 2 games from getting delayed.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
1.7 M views on this direct. Last year's January Mini & March Direct (Smash reveal) has 3.8 and 4m views respectively.

RibMac

Feb 6, 2019
LM3 looked pretty done, and that was 5 months ago. I can't see that being delayed until 2020.

But we know that Nintendo will sit on games that are done for business reasons :P
If they think Luigi's mansion 3 would perform better in early 2020 when its not against Pokemon, Animal Crossing and 2D Zelda, I can see them delaying it :( I hope you're right though!