• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question: Have we ever seen Nogami's eyes?
7UtEQNQ.png

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In case anyone wonders why Nintendo remains focused on Splatoon 2 during their directs:

Post direct views on NintenTube Japan:
Splatoon 2 - 621K(9.1K likes)
Direct - 560K(4.4K likes)
Splatoon 2 DLC - 308K(5.2K likes)
Taiko no Tatsujin - 110K(1.4K likes)
Kirby - 104K(1K likes)
Mario Tennis Aces - 89K(444 likes)
Luigi Mansion - 85K(895 likes)
Dark Souls - 84K(560 likes)
Undertale - 83K(2.2K likes)
Phantasy Star Online 2 - 61K(427 likes)

Its no coincidence inklings are used to introduce Smash.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the splatoon DLC looks great. And from the way they announced it, it sounds like this will not be the last paid DLC for splatoon 2.

And it seemed like arms is getting new content? I thought Nintendo stopped supporting it?

Jan 11, 2018
The Splatoon DLC was the most exciting thing in the Direct, and I'm baffled by those dismissing it.

For me as well, along with another game that got shat on... Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes. Unlike most, the singleplayer is the main draw of Splatoon for me so I'm hyped as hell for this. My only disappointment for the direct in general was no Yoshi :(. I'm guessing a September or October release for that.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For me as well, along with another game that got shat on... Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes. Unlike most, the singleplayer is the main draw of Splatoon for me so I'm hyped as hell for this. My only disappointment for the direct in general was no Yoshi :(. I'm guessing a September or October release for that.
Ehh I thought nmh looked quite bad. I thought it was a cross over of other indie games. It just looked like a very low budget arcade game.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So basically we're padding out the first two years with ports of the entire Wii U catalog until the industry catches up with the Switch's unprecedented success. Got it.

I was underwhelmed with this. I hope E3 will be spectacular; I tire of waiting for the big original game announcements. The Switch library is robust, but it's missing a WOW/megaton game for the year especially if Smash is simply and updated combined version of the 3DS/Wii U versions. They've lost Monster Hunter, which I continue to see as a big loss for them. They need something big since they shot their wad last year. E3 better have some real surprises.

Octopath is really the only thing I'm looking forward to here at the moment.
Prime 4, Pokemon, whatever Retro is doing, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Pikmin 4...
I dunno man...if you're not looking forward to any of that I can't help you, and neither can Nintendo.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
so blastosie (wave 2) for pokken release on March 23.

Guess Namco will release their own vid since we haven't seen him.
Still weird that it wasn't in the direct for 30 seconds to remind people. I mean, you want them to spend money on it.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Have they said who is doing the Luigi's Mansion port? Is it NLG?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
At first I was disappointed that Fire Emblem didn't show up in the Direct but now I am glad it didn't.

It would have been outshone by Smash. I mean everything was outshone by Smash , it is crazy. The franchise deserves a proper Spotlight.

Oct 27, 2017
I somehow missed all of this since I was flying on Thursday and never caught up.

I'm liking the list of announced games though, we finally got a new warioware game (how many years has it been since the last good one?) and a gamecube port on the 3ds. Still going strong

Oct 29, 2017
My local Best Buy has a much smaller Amiibo section, and it already has Labo branding at its top. Maybe it'll be relegated to a new part of the store or phased out, or it's no big deal at all. I don't want to gossip monger here. :X
I worked at Best Buy this last Holiday season, and I can tell you this:
This means nothing.

The game department, much like the rest of the store and all other retail stores, is ruled by "planogram", AKA some people at corporate who have done tests on placement of items for highest possible "basket" (how much shit can you get someone to buy along with their main purchase).

You put phone cases next to phones, cables next to controllers, and controllers next to systems.

Alongside that is a constantly rotating selection of ads. End caps are replaced every week to detail any new releases or deals going on, platform specific isles have platform specific ads.

Labo is gonna sell like hot cakes. 75% of people playing the demo unit Switch when I was there were kids under the age of 13. Those same kids are nuts for Amiibo (which, curiously, isn't planogrammed beyond "put Amiibo here". There's no rhyme or reason to placement in that spot). It makes sense to put marketing material next to the thing that kids gravitate towards, and it helps sales agents bring it up as a value add before release.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I worked at Best Buy this last Holiday season, and I can tell you this:
This means nothing.

The game department, much like the rest of the store and all other retail stores, is ruled by "planogram", AKA some people at corporate who have done tests on placement of items for highest possible "basket" (how much shit can you get someone to buy along with their main purchase).

You put phone cases next to phones, cables next to controllers, and controllers next to systems.

Alongside that is a constantly rotating selection of ads. End caps are replaced every week to detail any new releases or deals going on, platform specific isles have platform specific ads.

Labo is gonna sell like hot cakes. 75% of people playing the demo unit Switch when I was there were kids under the age of 13. Those same kids are nuts for Amiibo (which, curiously, isn't planogrammed beyond "put Amiibo here". There's no rhyme or reason to placement in that spot). It makes sense to put marketing material next to the thing that kids gravitate towards, and it helps sales agents bring it up as a value add before release.

Thanks for this information. Very interesting!

Grylvak

Oct 29, 2017
I was surprised to see no Pokken DLC spot since Blastoise comes out the 23rd. Is it too soon to think a Pokemon Direct is coming soon?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The more I think about it the more the Switch's port-centric nature bothers me. Back in the Wii U and 3DS' heydey Nintendo Directs were populated almost exclusively with games you couldn't play anywhere else. These days Nintendo Directs are just a showcase of the Wii U games that Nintendo dredged up to re-release on the Switch at full price padded out by games that were available on other platforms six to twelve months ago, if not longer.

I think I'm getting more bitter with age.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Almost wish someone would go back to do a quote of shame. Absolutely embarassing all the shit thrown at Splatoon and the producer just because it was the last thing being talked about.

This idea of "don't waste time on this!" is absurd anyway, a direct is pretaped obviously and the runtime isn't flexible. Some people should really rethink the way they consume those Directs.

It's just a way of people saying that they would like to see something else being shown instead. Of course they know that Nintendo's going to show what they're going to show in any case, so they're not "wasting time" in that sense, but this Direct wasn't exactly filled with the high points that people would have wanted to see.