• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
That was quite a weird direct, to be honest.
Lots of niche announcements, almost all known games or ports, some like JKII and Deadly Premonition kind of strange even.

Lots of stuff being released in a very crowded September so Nintendo must be confident in their other months.

Still: DXM demo is good news.
Gamefreak's town looks great and comes out in a month!
Link's Awakening and Luigi's Mansion still looking good!
SNES online at no additional cost is a nice surprise, as is cross-save with Steam on D:OS 2.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Deadly Premonition 1 & 2, XC1 DE, Tokyo Mirage DE, SNES, Jedi Outcast II, Terry in Smash and MORE Smash characters, Luigi Mansion 3 looking amazing, DXM demo. Just amazing. DMC 2 stand alone is hysterical though. Fuck out of here with that Capcom, have it be a free bonus for buying DMC1 and 3 if you MUST release it.

I was concerned every smash character would be some tie-in promotional nonsense but it's been the exact opposite outside of DQ, which is nuts. I love it.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Oh I've no doubt they're in development, but it's all taking far too long and there have been too many problems. It cant all be down to bad luck.

Development hell has clearly struck at Retro (for SIX years!), MP4 rebooted, Pikmin 4 rebooted. Severe delays to FE, Yoshi, AC and LM3.

Who knows... but its crystal clear all is not right.

It's all great stuff and worth waiting for - but seriously, shouldn't someone be losing their high paid senior management job over all of the above?!
When did Luigi's Mansion 3 get delayed? The release date was 2019, then late 2019, then October 31st 2019. And we did have Arms, Splatoon 2, Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Mario Tennis: Aces, Pokemon, Smash Ultimate etc all launch on time. Some games launch on schedule, others don't. It shouldn't be surprising given Nintendo's history that they're still willing to delay when necessary.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
First of all, AMAZING Direct. My wallet is crying right now!

Just out of curiosity, would love to know the status on:

- Metroid Prime 4: Is it 2020? 2021?
- Metroid Trilogy: Is it even real??
- Bayonetta 3: Hello lol? I guess now that Astral Chain is out Bayonetta 3 is going full development?
- Pikmin: Never played any, would like to try it!
- Monolith new IP: Even if Xenoblade 1 is a day 1 for sure (only played Xeno 2). And they can even do Xenoblade Chronicles X next! lol
- No PvZ confirmed? :(

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
The big final game was yet another port and we have basically nothing but Animal Crossing for Q1 2020. Is it really surprising that some are disappointed?
Yea, too right. If you had told me beforehand that Nintendo would end with a Wii port I'd have been dead excited for Super Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess. The fact it's Xenoblade just sums it up.

The fact its Xenoblade in 2020 and not December 2019 sums it up even better actually.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Do you think it got pushed back?
So did we get word on mystery game 4?
I don't think we did. Emily has clearly had a lot of correct info about Nintendo's line-up this year, but I didn't see anything that fit the bill for the mystery title - unless I'm mistaken? Plus, the TMS Encore Edition coming before the 2013 Wii U port wasn't in line with what Emily knew.

Entirely possible that some of Nintendo's plans have changed. They're still a very secretive company, and depending on how development is going on any one of the dozen or two dozen games that EPD, Nintendo's subsidiaries and partners are working on right now, Nintendo's release schedules likely shift all the time. Maybe they've bumped a Pikmin 3 port further down the release schedule because Pikmin 4 needs work? Maybe they're holding off on a 3D World port because Odyssey 2 is scheduled for next summer? Difficult to know.

Emily's shared a lot of accurate and interesting information, though - and joined in the pre-Direct madness, so kudos to her for that!

Mystery game #4 is a new IP from EPD.

As for Pikmin 3, it's getting new content. That's why it was initially pushed back from 2019 to 2020.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Also, is it just me, or is there an extra area in the Xenoblade Chronicles trailer? If this is being billed as a 'Definitive Edition', then we could well be in for some extra content and other tweaks.

EDIT: I mean the scenery at the end just doesn't ring a bell with me - where Shulk and Melia are standing. Maybe it's the final shot of the reveal because it's new content?
I mean there's going to be a lot of new content for sure whether we know it or not rn

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Overall really good direct.

Really needed something truely New and notable as the one more thing

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Pretty solid Direct, I'd give it an 8/10. Immediately canceled my Pokémon pre-order after what was shown. I was on the fence about it anyway, and what I saw today showed that, while I'm sure it'll be an amazing game, it's not for me.

Super excited for the SNES games, any chance they're out at 9 PM PST/midnight EST?

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
When did Luigi's Mansion 3 get delayed? The release date was 2019, then late 2019, then October 31st 2019. And we did have Arms, Splatoon 2, Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Mario Tennis: Aces, Pokemon, Smash Ultimate etc all launch on time. Some games launch on schedule, others don't. It shouldn't be surprising given Nintendo's history that they're still willing to delay when necessary.
LM3 delay is an assumption based on 1. the length of time between it's announcement and release and 2. The length of time it took them to confirm the date. Halloween presented a nice disguise for them, but its definitely late. I suspect it was meant to land in April/May and Yoshi got delayed further to help plug the gap.

Anyway, I know what you mean about Nintendo and delays - but it's not a good enough excuse. Switch literally prints money - they need to spend more and improve the speed of their output.

Oct 27, 2017
Direct was worth it for Sans in smash alone (yes, even as a mii costume)
The rest was very good too. Still missing FZERO and Metroid but hey.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Isn't the only major changes the character models and adding in cut content?

That's far closer to port than remake IMO.
Have you seen the textures? They are redone.

Closest comparison I could find:

215528-473175-ErythSeajpg-noscale.jpg

http:///mVCd.jpg

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Pretty naff stuff, with small moments of surprise like Deadly Premonition 2 outta nowhere. Whole bunch of old ports that I guess people that skipped PC, PS3, and X360 gaming for the last 15 years it impresses them. Animal Crossing just looks bad. It just being the beach with furniture strewn everywhere is just bizarre. May give Tokyo Mirage Sessions a go finally as I didn't get round to it on WiiU.

Also had to laugh at Bethesda bringing DOOM 64, while Nintendo is like "hey woah now, slow your roll there Pete, here's Stunt Race FX!"

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Mystery game #4 is a new IP from EPD.

As for Pikmin 3, it's getting new content. That's why it was initially pushed back from 2019 to 2020.
Ah, thank you for confirming! They'll both be things to look forward to, then. Do you know how 2020's line-up is shaping up? This time last year you were spot on to say 2019 was going to be a great year. I still can't believe we got games as great as Mario Maker 2, Three Houses and Astral Chain back to back.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
There's so much shit this year that, honestly? I'm OK with this.
I'm not ok with this at all.

Pikmin 4 is already in development hell, so who in their right mind signs off on allowing new content in Pikmin 3? Just port the Wii U game over, that 90% of your install base have not played, and be done with it.

It's a bad decision by Nintendo.

(We do have loads of games to play, but more choice is a good thing).

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Caught up on the thread.

HOLY SHIT THAT DIRECT WAS FUCKING ACES, YOOOOOOOOO!

SNES games? Banjo shadow drop? 85 million games coming soon? TMS encore? MUTHAFUCKIN XENOBLADE REMASTER?!?!

I can understand some people not being interested in what was shown but daaaaaaaaaamn that was the best direct in years.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LM3 delay is an assumption based on 1. the length of time between it's announcement and release and 2. The length of time it took them to confirm the date. Halloween presented a nice disguise for them, but its definitely late. I suspect it was meant to land in April/May and Yoshi got delayed further to help plug the gap.

Anyway, I know what you mean about Nintendo and delays - but it's not a good enough excuse. Switch literally prints money - they need to spend more and improve the speed of their output.

I love how you admit its an assumption than immediately pretend that makes it 100% fact. And furthermore, is the work conditions of their employees not a good enough excuse for you? Because that's why they delayed Animal Crossing. I'll take the needs of the people working on the game over a consumer furious that the company isn't exploiting its workers hard enough.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I love how you admit its an assumption than immediately pretend that makes it 100% fact. And furthermore, is the work conditions of their employees not a good enough excuse for you? Because that's why they delayed Animal Crossing. I'll take the needs of the people working on the game over a consumer furious that the company isn't exploiting its workers hard enough.
Thank you for making this point.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
That was great. Turned it off when Sakurai started talking but Home Run mode in Smash and some of the other things are nice surprises there.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we should start taking the "focus on" more seriously when combined with the last September direct which didn't have it and we got brand new 2019+ games announced

Oct 31, 2017
Glad for everyone that's happy, but there wasn't a single thing here that interested me. I didn't care for any of the ports, nor did I care for any of the new games announced.

But I guess i'm kind of dumb. I keep hoping for AA 3D JRPG exclusive (that aren't super anime) announcements but that practically died with the Gamecube. Pretty much none of their exclusive JRPG's have excited me in years.

And i absolutely love Monolithsoft but I couldn't give less of a fuck about the Blade series; practically everything about the direction of these games is exactly what I don't want.

Oh well, my loss.

Oct 27, 2017
Ultimately, I think from what rumors that have been floating around, there's still more to be seen regarding the Switch in 2020. As I thought, this Direct spent most of its time focusing on previously announced games, and new announcements that are almost all coming out within the next four months.

I'm just hoping we don't get a repeat of this year where we only got two games for the entirety of the first half of the year. I really did not play anything on my Switch outside of Smash during that entire time period.

If they can avoid that, then I'm content with this Direct being not as grand in terms of reveals as the February and June ones were.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
This year, we seem to have the opposite of last year's situation. We have very little clue of what's coming next year. I think the Game Awards and a January Direct will make things a little more clear. As for now, we're very much in the dark, Xenoblade and Animal Crossing aside.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

Reasoning is off there.
A major game coming out 1 year after release is normal, and actually good.

Not having a release date in June and coming out with a date in October shows that it didnt get delayed. Otherwise itd be 2020 or december if it was pushed after e3.

And the e3 showing had great improvements. Showing the game shown in 2018 wasnt near release and wasnt planned as such. Thats why they said 2019 and not early 2019 like with Fire Emblem.

So that doesnt make much sense

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Highlights:
Sakurai is golden
Toby Fox name dropped twice (to the point I'm considering Little Town Hero)
More Smash DLC characters (not as fussed that the first 4 don't interest me, though I understand *some* of their value)
SNES games is a win (overdue as it may be)

Potential:
XB1 - enjoyed it, but debating how willing I am to sink another 50 hours into it

Little to no interest:
Almost everything else

Infuriated:
Animal Crossing - 5 minutes too long

Status
Not open for further replies.