• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Kinda surprised that they changed Direct layot and intro so soon it's been like what 2 years with this format? Also music is changed but i liked more that previous one.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It doesnt make any difference to my observation if this Xenoblade in the Switch is a port or a remake. At all. Nintendo decides to end the Direct showing a game originally released almost 10 years ago, already on the new 3DS too, and I cant pretend to be ok with it. In my opinion, this announcement hasnt the weight to end a Direct. God, its not the Wii U Xenoblade even.

You can celebrate if you re happy. Im glad you like the game and you want to play it again, but there are tons of games that can be remastered and that people are demanding way more than Xenoblade Chronicles.

I aint even talking about new sfuff...
It's okay if you weren't okay with it. Lots of people were. The burden of supporting the Switch doesn't fall squarely on your shoulders.

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
He also has this slightly off-putting thing where he dismisses things that are outside his somewhat narrow sphere of interests an unimportant.

I guess that not too different from how some parts of Nintendo the gaming fanbase reacts to things though.

This is just the way fandom works. The gaming forums we frequent is proof that most gamers have a specific narrow view of what they deem important, and the rest is dismissed as filler or unnecessary. Proof that Arlo is just human/muppet like the rest.

Let him have his opinions on things. It isn't harming anyone else's opinions.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you think these two are comparable...

SpyroThenVsNowComparison-02.jpg

0g0jsv0tunk31.png

Like I said XB looks GREAT. I LOVE Nintendo! They're so great! I sure do love them a lot and think they're awesome. And XB is just soooo amazing! Especially the great new version!

There are still levels to this though.
I'm a little disappointed they went more for the cel shaded style of Xenoblade 2. And not more in the direction Smash went with the characters.

Everything I loved about the art style of the original characters is gone now.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It's okay if you weren't okay with it. Lots of people were. The burden of supporting the Switch doesn't fall squarely on your shoulders.
I know well and I have no problems with the game being on the system, but even if you like the game, I think its pretty easy to admit that it was a meltdown of an announcement to end the Direct.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
What about Metroid? I know Trilogy could show up at any Direct but what about Metroid 5 or another 2D remake? Does it have a chance at being revealed soonish (January Direct) or at E3?

I need something ;(
Honestly have no idea about timing for such announcements. A 2D Metroid is in development (or was) but when it'll make an appearance remains a mystery.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know well and I have no problems with the game being on the system, but even if you like the game, I think its pretty easy to admit that it was a meltdown of an announcement to end the Direct.
I was hoping for a Thousand Year Door remaster personally, but that's not really much different from an outsiders view than what we got. If this were E3 or something I might have been expecting something big and completely new to close out the presentation, but there's only so many BotW 2 caliber announcements up Nintendo's sleeve.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly have no idea about timing for such announcements. A 2D Metroid is in development (or was) but when it'll make an appearance remains a mystery.

Was there anything you expected to see in the Direct that didn't make it? I gotta say first party wise it wasn't all that interesting (to me of course).

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this really seems like a Direct where you either loved it or hated it. For me it was my favorite Direct since the Switch launched, but wow, Arlo clearly wasn't a fan. Yet Easy Allies were blown the fuck away.

And I didn't even get a Metroid announcement! 2D, Prime Trilogy or otherwise! Maybe next time...

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Was there anything you expected to see in the Direct that didn't make it? I gotta say first party wise it wasn't all that interesting (to me of course).
I expected Pikmin 3 Deluxe to get announced, a different Wii U port over Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and the new IP. I knew TMS was coming to Switch but thought it would have happened later and we'd see Pikmin 3 hit first. So, yes, I expected a bit more from Nintendo in this Direct than we got.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
At this point i would not be worried at January/February we will get 2-3 new first party announcements like earlier in February.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll ask here because I don't want to seek out the OT... I'm going to take a stab at Smash. I play Switch 100% in handleheld mode. I'm not one trying to be a professional. Do people play Smash in handheld, or is does everyone use the Pro? I hate the way Switch looks on my monitor/TV.
Just play however you want. If you feel you might do better with a different controller then try it

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I expected Pikmin 3 Deluxe to get announced, a different Wii U port over Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and the new IP. I knew TMS was coming to Switch but thought it would have happened later and we'd see Pikmin 3 hit first. So, yes, I expected a bit more from Nintendo in this Direct than we got.

Interesting, thanks. So unless either of those things got delayed we'll probably have decent games to fill out Q1 of 2020.

Do you think it's possible they'll do another Direct (or even a mini) before the end of the year? They've done November Directs in the past. And there hasn't been a game specific Direct in a while.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesnt make any difference to my observation if this Xenoblade in the Switch is a port or a remake. At all. Nintendo decides to end the Direct showing a game originally released almost 10 years ago, already on the new 3DS too, and I cant pretend to be ok with it. In my opinion, this announcement hasnt the weight to end a Direct. God, its not the Wii U Xenoblade even.

You can celebrate if you re happy. Im glad you like the game and you want to play it again, but there are tons of games that can be remastered and that people are demanding way more than Xenoblade Chronicles.

I aint even talking about new sfuff...
I would agree with this. I can appreciate that Xenoblade has a ton of fans who were very happy about that announcement, but to have that be the "one more thing" announcement felt a little tonedeaf. If you're going to put a remaster as the "one more thing" announcement, at least have it be something either EXTREMELY surprising, or something that EVERYONE (or at least like 95% of your audience) will be hyped about - so probably an actual Nintendo IP remaster or something. Metroid Prime Trilogy or a Sunshine or Galaxy remake/remaster would've been the one there - again, if they're doing a remaster.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I think that's going a bit too far. Arlo is good and produces passionate and enjoyable stuff about the stuff he is into.

He is most certainly a tad ignorant about things like SNK though, can't deny.

Yeah, maybe it's a bit much - I'm not familiar with the dude - but watching it from the beginning, it's just very unpleasant and nit-picky. "Pfft, *sigh*, it's okay I guess, I mean whatever, why are they even showing this, booo-ring, why is Nintendo bothering, meeh"...it's like, ok, dude, jesus, this is Nintendo marketing their shit to you, of course they'll highlight games that are coming out and push their things they want to sell you, it's not your personal hype factory.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Regardless of the content displayed, I think this was easily one of the best Directs in regards to pacing. Feel Nintendo has a really good sense of how much time to spend in each segment.

Side note: Surprised there was zero mention of the Lite releasing in 2 weeks.

Oct 26, 2017
I guess it depends on your taste. I thought the Direct was alright, at least by Switch standards. It had just enough stuff I cared for that I could be fine with with not caring for stuff like Deadly Premonition 2 and Overwatch

He is of course entitled to his opinions, but I'm also human and can get rubbed the wrong way when he hard-downplays something he doesn't personally care for.
Yeah, I remember unsubscribing when he said something along the lines of Nintendo making Super Mario Galaxy more linear over the more open Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario 64 because it was "easier to make". He had nothing to support that and only said it because he didn't like them as much as they were linear games

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017

Interesting. Almost felt like Nintendo held back a little to let 3rd parties shine, especially since the rest of the year is already quite packed.

Also, regarding the new IP. Should it be something closer in scale to ARMS/Splatoon 1 or Sushi Striker/1-2 Switch ?

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would agree with this. I can appreciate that Xenoblade has a ton of fans who were very happy about that announcement, but to have that be the "one more thing" announcement felt a little tonedeaf. If you're going to put a remaster as the "one more thing" announcement, at least have it be something either EXTREMELY surprising, or something that EVERYONE (or at least like 95% of your audience) will be hyped about - so probably an actual Nintendo IP remaster or something. Metroid Prime Trilogy or a Sunshine or Galaxy remake/remaster would've been the one there - again, if they're doing a remaster.
To be fair they cant do those all the time. And nothing will probably ever beat BOTW 2 as the one more time thing.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Interesting. Almost felt like Nintendo held back a little to let 3rd parties shine, especially since the rest of the year is already quite packed.

Also, regarding the new IP. Should it be something closer in scale to ARMS/Splatoon 1 or Sushi Striker/1-2 Switch ?
Should be closer to the former in terms of appeal.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Arlo always sounds depressed in his videos. It's like he doesn't have energy. Most youtubers when they talk about something negative get angry in a hyperbolic way, he just seems tired.

Fintendo

Jun 5, 2019
That was a mediocre direct, nothing really for me as I've pretty much played all third party ports, first party didn't add much, only ports and remastered. The smash bros and SNES was really good though. Where was monolith new IP, SMM2 DLC? I think they'll show 2020 games next year.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
No, but I expected something
They didn't publish a single game on the system up to this point, and it doesn't seem like this will change anytime soon.
I wonder if Nagoshi has something to do with this?
I was surprised when I knew he was one of the board members for Atlus since 2013.
PS4 support wasn't really notable early on (and still isn't imo) and what they've revealed or teased for Switch is on par with that. I think expectation from some are unrealistic.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible how Xenoblade became such an important franchise for Nintendo these days when they just didn't care at all at first.

Xenoblade Chronicles wasn't supposed to release outside of Japan, but they ended up releasing the game worldwide because of popular demand from the fans.

Since then :

- They promoted the New 3DS with the port of Xenoblade Chonicles

- Xenoblade Chronicles X and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 both got some premium time during Directs/E3 presentations, Xenoblade Chronicles X even got multiple dedicated Directs and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had a pretty big segment in a Direct.

- They are closing their latest Nintendo Direct with an announcement of Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

The franchise keep getting more popular, and this makes me really happy! <3

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I try not to smacktalk content creators too much (well, outside the plethora of milkshake ducks) as I'm sure YouTube comments is enough to give them unnecessary flak for daring to put themselves out there.

but man, Arlo has always rubbed me the wrong way, like a goofy Muppet thing hiding what sometimes comes across like a forum poster who swings from the extremes of "THIS IS THE BEST" to "THIS IS THE WORST"

Also Colour Splash waz neat, suck it puppet boy

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Next direct is, what, February? Hope to see 3D World and/or a new DK game in that direct. But after being disappointed so many times already, I won't even get myself hyped up for it next time.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Metroid really isn't that much more popular than Xenoblade though. IIRC Prime is the best selling and it's sold less than 3m.

MPT wouldn't please everyone either.(nothing ever could to be fair)

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible how Xenoblade became such an important franchise for Nintendo these days when they just didn't care at all at first.

The franchise keep getting more popular, and this makes me really happy! <3

I still remember the reactions when nintendo bought monolith soft.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is being remade, which takes time and resources; it probably means that they only have 1 other new game instead of two, unlike what most people expected. Especially if they're also helping with Zelda. So yes, that's disappointing, and a waste of resources as nobody really asked for this remake.

The underlying point screaming out from this post: If you liked Xenoblade and are excited for this upcoming remake/remaster, you cleraly are inferior. If you enjoy Xenblade 1 and are excited, you don't matter. I'm sick of it. I'm sick of it in here, I'm sick of it in Arlo's video who blatantly is proud of his own ignorance and expects everyone to be like it. I'm sick of the world repeteadly telling me I'm fucking wrong in everything! WHY AM I NOT ALLOWED TO ENJOY THINGS! WHY AM I REQUIRE TO HATE EVERYTHING! WHY AM I FUCKING REQUIRED TO NEVER BE HAPPY OR RIGHT AND THAT WHENEVER I AM HAPPY FIFTY PEOPLE WILL LINE UP WITH "WELLL YOU OPINION IS WRONG AND YOU ARE INSIGNIFICANT FOR DOING SO!"!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
No. Xenoblade 1 is a ground up remake. TPHD was a remaster.
Not a single texture/model is the same in the Xenoblade 1 remake. Just like Crash/Spyro/L's A.
Xenoblade's environments honestly don't look remodeled. New textures, shaders and character models yes, and maybe some minor rounding out on select environmental assets, but that's not any different from Twilight Princess HD.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Was Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE: Encore supposed to the December game Emily was hinting at, but got delayed?

Status
Not open for further replies.