• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Was Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE: Encore supposed to the December game Emily was hinting at, but got delayed?
She made a statement after the direct.
She hinted at Pikmin 3 as the WiiU port for January. Seems to be delayed.
And the Mystery game 4 for december is a new Nintendo ip. She was surprised that it wasn't in the direct.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I know well and I have no problems with the game being on the system, but even if you like the game, I think its pretty easy to admit that it was a meltdown of an announcement to end the Direct.
"Meltdown" is pretty hyperbolic, especially considering "everyone" says that is the best Xenoblade. It's makes sense to remaster a title like that, and while it wasn't ending a Direct with Breath of the Wild 2... to compare it to a wet fart is just silly.

Separately, does anyone know when these SNES games are dropping?! I'm fiending!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Wait, people are calling Xenoblade 1 remake/extreme remaster/whatever a wet fart?

How can anyone be like that about Bionis with modern graphics.

BIONIS WITH MODERN GRAPHICS.

And there's AT LEAST one more area.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Emily, do you think that new EPD IP is the kind of game Nintendo could show off at The Game Awards? This would explain it's absence.

Well, whatever it is, the ship has sailed on it releasing in 2019.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless the thing is announced in the next two weeks on Twitter, it won't release in December if it's a retail game. So either it doesn't exist or it got pushed back.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Wait, people are calling Xenoblade 1 remake/extreme remaster/whatever a wet fart?

I mean like how many people even knew what it was? and out those who knew most of them just recognized Shulk from Smash, i don't think they had anything else to announce at the end but compared to other directs that wasn't exciting to most people.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Wow we got Goemon Mii Fighter but no Mystical Ninja game guess I'm throwing my Switch in the trash.

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon Remaster for Switch

(secret best N64 game)

You shouldnt be a fan. He is a fanboy that doesnt aknowledge he only cares about mario and zelda, and maybe metroido

Telling someone they shouldn't be a fan of someone because their interests might not align with your own. Peak Era.

Last edited:

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Is it true Emily said 3D World was forthcoming? I was a little disappointed to not see it here.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
If you think these two are comparable...

SpyroThenVsNowComparison-02.jpg

0g0jsv0tunk31.png

Like I said XB looks GREAT. I LOVE Nintendo! They're so great! I sure do love them a lot and think they're awesome. And XB is just soooo amazing! Especially the great new version!

There are still levels to this though.

I feel like I'm being punked.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is it true Emily said 3D World was forthcoming? I was a little disappointed to not see it here.
I've learned it's best not to put too much stock into these comments. The new 3D Mario announcement is likely at the next direct or two. I don't see 3D World coming anytime soon to canabalize any potential mimentum or sales from that game. I think the time to release 3D World was this December or January.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
You shouldnt be a fan. He is a fanboy that doesnt aknowledge he only cares about mario and zelda, and maybe metroido

This is a pretty unfair characterization. He most recent pre-Direct video is a glowing review/impressions discussion about Astral Chain and he's generally a very positive guy. His tastes are probably a little less niche than, say, the average poster on this forum and he's less dialed in to industry gossip, but his videos are always frank and honest and his criticism are pretty reasonable and restrained.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it makes no sense. Xenoblade is one of the hypest franchises they have. Some people just have no taste I guess?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
- No new monolith game but a remaster that nobody asked for.
- 30fps/2 years late Overwatch.
- No outlandish 3rd party game such as Sekiro.
- No overdue third party game such as GTA 5, Dark Souls 2 or MGS 5.
- No SMT 5 or Bayo 3.
- No game from Retro (and probably nothing until MP4 which honestly doesn't invite to optimism).
- No increased output from Japanese developers, and specifically no Monster Hunter on Switch.

While I can perfectly understand that some people liked this direct, it was very underwhelming in my opinion, especially coming out of a string of amazing presentations from February this year (indie and general directs).
This direct lacked in too many aspects in my opinion, and would have been better as a 15 minutes mini direct.
I have many games to play so I'm more or less good, but I also expect the first half of 2020 to be quite rough. Once again.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Yeah, it makes no sense. Xenoblade is one of the hypest franchises they have. Some people just have no taste I guess?
I dunno, I get the feeling people were hating on that announcement for 2 reasons and neither was directly because its Xenoblade. 1. Ending the Direct with any port of any game was always going to be a bit of a low, and 2. there are a lot of Wii games that would perhaps be more favourable to the masses for a port - Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, heck even Mario Strikers for me!

So yea, I dont know if it's a dig at Xeno, just the timing of the announcement I guess.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
- No new monolith game but a remaster that nobody asked for.
- 30fps/2 years late Overwatch.
- No outlandish 3rd party game such as Sekiro.
- No overdue third party game such as GTA 5, Dark Souls 2 or MGS 5.
- No SMT 5 or Bayo 3.
- No game from Retro (and probably nothing until MP4 which honestly doesn't invite to optimism).
- No increased output from Japanese developers, and specifically no Monster Hunter on Switch.

While I can perfectly understand that some people liked this direct, it was very underwhelming in my opinion, especially coming out of a string of amazing presentations from February this year (indie and general directs).
This direct lacked in too many aspects in my opinion, and would have been better as a 15 minutes mini direct.
I have many games to play so I'm more or less good, but I also expect the first half of 2020 to be quite rough. Once again.

Good thing TGS is next week :)

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Emily, do you think that new EPD IP is the kind of game Nintendo could show off at The Game Awards? This would explain it's absence.

Well, whatever it is, the ship has sailed on it releasing in 2019.

Well, keep in mind: This is the same company that announced Labo VR - with a single tweet, not even a YouTube video - during the first week of March, and then released it the next month, on April 12th. So I mean, never say never.

I don't know if you noticed this, but the Direct seemed to emphasize on core gamers with Xenoblade, Tokyo Mirage Sessions , Dragon Quest, Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury, Deadly Premonition, Doom 64, Overwatch. It's possible that Nintendo felt that the Direct wasn't the right time/right place to reveal this new IP. And I doubt The Game Awards - which appeals more to hardcore gaming enthusiasts - would be the smartest place to announce it either.

Huh, I expected a smaller game but also something that would appeal more to the "expanded audience" like Labo. I guess not necessarily.

It's complicated. On paper, it features ideas and concepts that sound like it could appeal to most Nintendo fans. However, maybe the execution of those ideas/concepts could lean more casual? It's difficult to say who the target audience is without seeing the game.

On a related note: Nintendo is interested in resurrecting some of their popular casual IPs from the Nintendo DS years. Which makes sense with the upcoming launch of the Switch Lite - a cheaper device that exists with the main purpose of broadening Switch's audience with kids and families.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Based on how crammed that direct was, I'm not expecting another one for a long while. Probably the biggest gap get.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I get the feeling people were hating on that announcement for 2 reasons and neither was directly because its Xenoblade. 1. Ending the Direct with any port of any game was always going to be a bit of a low, and 2. there are a lot of Wii games that would perhaps be more favourable to the masses for a port - Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, heck even Mario Strikers for me!

So yea, I dont know if it's a dig at Xeno, just the timing of the announcement I guess.
Man I get it; I'd personally be underwhelmed if the final announcement was a port of something I'm less into. But there's a part of me that believes that the masses need to change their minds and accept Xenoblade as being clearly much more hype than Mario or Zelda.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Well, keep in mind: This is the same company that announced Labo VR - with a single tweet, not even a YouTube video - during the first week of March, and then released it the next month, on April 12th. So I mean, never say never.

I don't know if you noticed this, but the Direct seemed to emphasize on core gamers with Xenoblade, Tokyo Mirage Sessions , Dragon Quest, Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury, Deadly Premonition, Doom 64, Overwatch. It's possible that Nintendo felt that the Direct wasn't the right time/right place to reveal this new IP. And I doubt The Game Awards - which appeals more to gaming enthusiasts - would be the smartest place to announce it either.
Oh I see, I think I have a notion about this mystery game now.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man I get it; I'd personally be underwhelmed if the final announcement was a port of something I'm less into. But there's a part of me that believes that the masses need to change their minds and accept Xenoblade as being clearly much more hype than Mario or Zelda.

Nintendo realised their mistake in not giving Xenoblade the love it deserves and now they are insistent that the general populace do the same.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo is interested in resurrecting some of their popular casual IPs from the Nintendo DS years. Which makes sense with the upcoming launch of the Switch Lite - a cheaper device that exists with the main purpose of broadening Switch's audience with kids and families.
I just want to know that Rhythm Heaven is safe and sound.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
I really liked this Direct, the highlights for me were the Smash details, Cramorant is a dopey Pokémon, and Xenoblade getting essentially a remake. I was a bit shocked at not a lot of 2020 titles being revealed besides XCHD, TMS Encore, Trials of Mana, and more AC. We still got a January/February Direct though, so we're good for now. We got too much stuff to play this holiday: DQ11S, Link's Awakening, LM3, and SwSh, let alone the 3rd party titles.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
It's complicated. On paper, it features ideas and concepts that sound like it could appeal to most Nintendo fans. However, maybe the execution of those ideas/concepts could lean more casual? It's difficult to say who the target audience is without seeing the game.
Actually missed this part.

Wow this mystery game is extremely intriguing. Can't wait to see what manner of beast it actually is.

Based on these descriptions, I'll try to predict something in the vein pilot wings (just as an example). Something that can lean towards casual appeal, hardcore appeal or both (ideally), depending on execution.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda surprised we got every hinted game at this Direct:

Witchcraft: Xenoblade Definitive
"Huh" Game with a related shadowdrop: Deadly Premonition Origins/2
Jim Sterling's game: Deadly Premonition 2
"Tanked" GameCube game: Jedi Knight Jedi Outcast

I wish someone hinted some Take Two or Namco games because their unexplainable absence really worries me.

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know if you noticed this, but the Direct seemed to emphasize on core gamers with Xenoblade, Tokyo Mirage Sessions , Dragon Quest, Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury, Deadly Premonition, Doom 64, Overwatch. It's possible that Nintendo felt that the Direct wasn't the right time/right place to reveal this new IP. And I doubt The Game Awards - which appeals more to hardcore gaming enthusiasts - would be the smartest place to announce it either.

On a related note: Nintendo is interested in resurrecting some of their popular casual IPs from the Nintendo DS years. Which makes sense with the upcoming launch of the Switch Lite - a cheaper device that exists with the main purpose of broadening Switch's audience with kids and families.
Do you think they would localize that remake of Famicom Detective Club?

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

That's cool to hear. A lot of stuff from those years would probably do pretty well.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
It was a great Direct, but I'm somewhat alarmed by the Animal Crossing segment - why would anyone accept a mobile device from a money-lending, Hawaii-shirt-wearing, mafioso looking raccoon? TOM NOOK IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda surprised we got every hinted game at this Direct:

Witchcraft: Xenoblade Definitive
"Huh" Game with a related shadowdrop: Deadly Premonition Origins/2
Jim Sterling's game: Deadly Premonition 2
"Tanked" GameCube game: Jedi Knight Jedi Outcast

I wish someone hinted some Take Two or Namco games because their unexplainable absence really worries me.

What makes you think Xenoblade is the witchcraft/redacted game?

Status
Not open for further replies.