• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
If you think Nintendo would seriously go after a character that they think they have to make more palatable, I don't know what to tell you.

I think they would absolutely offer a character that they know is popular in some regions (Japan, Latin America) but kind of an unknown quantity in others (North America), and I think they totally understand the silly expectations that fans bring to every Smash reveal and that a vocal part of the community would be disappointed by a character that they've personally never heard of before (or at least have no strong attachment to) and it's a totally reasonable move to try to mitigate that backlash.

I mean, there's absolutely nothing conspiratorial here. It's just Nintendo making pretty obvious PR decisions based on a totally foreseeable outcome. This isn't a black and white issue where a character is either strictly desirable or undesirable. You can have a character chosen specifically to sell the Fighter's Pass (and generate Smash/Switch hype) in regions where Nintendo is hoping to making inroads (especially Latin America) that you know will generate a tepid response in other regions. That trade-off may very well be totally worth it in terms of maximizing sales over all, but might also require some smart framing and spin.

I hope I'm not coming off as too defensive here. I'm just honestly having trouble understanding what's outlandish about this.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I just realised that I am usually the person defending Nintendo's line up strategy. Man the negativity here is really contagious sometimes haha.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I haven't watched Arlo's reactions or anything but it is really annoying how many self professed Nintendo fans only seem to be interested in a very narrow range of their franchises(usually revolving around Mario, Zelda and Metroid) and dismiss everything around that.
I was really excited to have TMS #FE come to the Switch. I still want to see something Golden Sun related, but some people just want more of the heavy hitters.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Might be an over-reactive thought, but what if Animal Crossing is coming in March not because that game wasn't ready for 2019 but because Nintendo foresaw a weaker 2020 in regards to first party?

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
I think the negativity here just shows that ending with XC DE left most people with a bad taste in their mouth lol, i have nothing against the game and its fans but that's not the thing people want to see a direct closing with it kills the hype.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I haven't watched Arlo's reactions or anything but it is really annoying how many self professed Nintendo fans only seem to be interested in a very narrow range of their franchises(usually revolving around Mario, Zelda and Metroid) and dismiss everything around that.
Also not sure why people were expecting big new AAA games. It's a Direct in September. Nintendo usually doesn't focus on anything further out than six months at these, and they already have three big, new games making up their release schedule for that time frame (Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokémon Sword/Shield, Animal Crossing New Horizons).

It makes sense that anything "new" announced in this particular Direct would just be stuff to pad the lineup during dry spells, like the TMS port.

Personally I set my expectations at SNES Online and they delivered on that, so I'm happy.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I think the negativity here just shows that ending with XC DE left most people with a bad taste in their mouth lol, i have nothing against the game and its fans but that's not the thing people want to see a direct closing with it kills the hype.
Yeah, maybe they should have just ended with Smash. XC1:DE would have been a good headline

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was a pretty cool direct. Nothing too crazy, some interesting surprises, but nothing that was really going to blow everyone out of the water.

But man, people (myself included) are getting super antsy about that Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Might be an over-reactive thought, but what if Animal Crossing is coming in March not because that game wasn't ready for 2019 but because Nintendo foresaw a weaker 2020 in regards to first party?
Don't think so myself, releasing AC in december was too good of an opportunity to pass without a major reason, and we know Nintendo doesn't have a problem with leaving Q1 and Q2 a bit barren compared to Q3/Q4.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Also not sure why people were expecting big new AAA games. It's a Direct in September. Nintendo usually doesn't focus on anything further out than six months at these, and they already have three big, new games making up their release schedule for that time frame (Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokémon Sword/Shield, Animal Crossing New Horizons).

It makes sense that anything "new" announced in this particular Direct would just be stuff to pad the lineup during dry spells, like the TMS port.

Personally I set my expectations at SNES Online and they delivered on that, so I'm happy.
Two of those three games were in the Direct last September. I think people were expecting more 2020 games. I'm personally cool with what we go but I did want a bit more assurance that the year wouldn't start off weak once again. It seems like it will.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I definitely wouldn't call this remake. When I think remake I think the Crash, Spyro, and FF7 games.

XB looks more like a super-remaster I suppose
So we are making up new terms now?
Everything from character models over textures to geometry has been remade. How on earth is this less of a remake than Spyro or Crash? Just beause those released earlier originally than Xenoblade did?

Everything is being remade. Therefore it's a remake. It's really that simple.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019

Last September LM3 and AC got announced and dated (although AC got delayed) so it made sense to expect a big first party reveal even if it was ways off.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I definitely wouldn't call this remake. When I think remake I think the Crash, Spyro, and FF7 games.

XB looks more like a super-remaster I suppose
FF7 is getting a full on remake because the type of game it is is completely outdated by today's standards. The structure, feel, and flow of Xenoblade is still surprisingly modern ten years on; all it needs is some shining up much like the Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask 3D remasters.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Whether or not you think it looks good or not is up to your appreciation. The facts though are that they are all new textures, and not the Wii ones. Everything seen in the trailer has been made from the ground up for this release, making it a full remake.

Improved textures doesn't mean we talking about remake, textures look improved, models also, lightning...but that doesn't mean we talking about remake,
its still look like improved Wii game (comparisons shows that) not like from ground made game like some real remakes (Spyro, Crash, RE Remake, Shadow Of Colosus)..

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

First party lineup does not have to be "strong". Nintendo is smallest one among the all three console makers yet their first party lineup is much better both in terms of quality and quantity. They do not need to flood the year with first party games.

We got Animal Crossing, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Xenoblade (assuming) for the first half of the year I think they're more than enough for six months and if they manage to squeeze Pikmin 3 somewhere that'll be the cream of the crop. One game per two months perfect for first party, and it's miles better than what PS4 and Xbox has, three first party games for whole year.

It's the third parties who need to step up.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
First party lineup does not have to be "strong". Nintendo is smallest one among the all three console makers yet their first party lineup is much better both in terms of quality and quantity. They do not need to flood the year with first party games.

We got Animal Crossing, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Xenoblade (assuming) for the first half of the year I think they're more than enough for six months and if they manage to squeeze Pikmin 3 somewhere that'll be the cream of the crop. One game per two months perfect for first party, and it's miles better than what PS4 and Xbox has, three first party games for whole year.

It's the third parties who need to step up.
Gods and Monsters is already coming Q1 next year so that's a considerable improvement imo.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
The direct was good but that ending was still incredibly flaccid.

They should have saved the Smash news for the end. Was the biggest announcement of the Direct, easily.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The direct was good but that ending was still incredibly flaccid.

They should have saved the Smash news for the end. Was the biggest announcement of the Direct, easily.
You know they'd have just as many people going "ugh, they ended on some random SNK character? Whatevs..."

*shrug* I just accept you can't please everyone. I loved it, myself.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
You know they'd have just as many people going "ugh, they ended on some random SNK character? Whatevs..."

*shrug* I just accept you can't please everyone. I loved it, myself.

Too bad for those folks. I loved that reveal. Showed so much reverence and respect for SNK and their legacy. Smash DLC continuing to 2020 and beyond is also just awesome to hear.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Yeah the Xenoblade 1 anouncement was an emotional one for me. Was very happy to see it

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
XC1 was one of the highest (if not THE highest) regarded JRPGs from its Gen. I don't know how a remake is not worthy of being the last surprise.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Is it safe to say that Pikmin 4 that Miyamoto famously said was finished turned out to indeed be Hey Pikman for the 3DS. I guess that's my biggest disappointment, was hoping to see some new Pikmin and thought that Pikmin 3 would be the Wii U port we would see.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
It was the best annoncement for me. It is one of the most beloved Wii game after all.
XC1 was one of the highest (if not THE highest) regarded JRPGs from its Gen. I don't know how a remake is not worthy of being the last surprise.

One of the most beloved and acclaimed by the less than a million people that played it, not hard to see why it didn't excite most people.

I get it if FE Path of radiance and Radiant Dawn got the same treatment i would be over the moon, but people would just be like cool that's Ike, but is that it?

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

The last two Directs have ended on a remake and sequel to two of the most beloved Zelda games ever. Not trying to downplay how good Xenoblade is, but that is a massive drop in terms of hype.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most beloved and acclaimed by the less than a million people that played it, not hard to see why it didn't excite most people.

I get it if FE Path of radiance and Radiant Dawn got the same treatment i would be over the moon, but people would just be like cool that's Ike, but is that it?
So it is basically a new game for a huge audience. That's even better !

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The last two Directs have ended on a remake and sequel to two of the most beloved Zelda games ever. Not trying to downplay how good Xenoblade is, but that is a massive drop in terms of hype.
Inversely, say they ended with Bayonetta 3... well, Bayonetta 2 sold about 700,000 copies, INCLUDING both WiiU and Switch. But it'd still be really great.

Say they ended it with Metroid Prime 4... but Metroid Prime 3 was reported to have sold just over a 1 million copies or so. It's no Zelda, so Metroid Prime 4 would ALSO be a massive drop in terms of popularity with fans.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sold 1.42 million copies, and many didn't get to play the original because Xenoblade Chronicles initial run was limited to only the Nintendo Online Store and Gamestop, and they completely sold out of their initial run and it didn't get an extensive reprint.

The series may not be Zelda, Pokemon, or Mario-tier, but it's officially a million-selling franchise that's only grown more and more popular with each new installment.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Inversely, say they ended with Bayonetta 3... well, Bayonetta 2 sold about 700,000 copies, INCLUDING both WiiU and Switch. But it'd still be really great.

Say they ended it with Metroid Prime 4... but Metroid Prime 3 was reported to have sold just over a 1 million copies or so. It's no Zelda, so Metroid Prime 4 would ALSO be a massive drop in terms of popularity with fans.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sold 1.42 million copies, and many didn't get to play the original because Xenoblade Chronicles initial run was limited to only the Nintendo Online Store and Gamestop, and they completely sold out of their initial run and it didn't get an extensive reprint.

The series may not be Zelda, Pokemon, or Mario-tier, but it's officially a million-selling franchise that's only grown more and more popular with each new installment.

Small correction. Xenoblade 2 has sold 1.7 million copies as of Takahashi's Famitsu interview in May/June.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I thought they were gonna close off with some meaty Mario Maker 2 DLC, I'm honestly shocked nothing was shown, was totally expecting it.

Regardless, I'm hyped about Xenoblade, never played the original one and this is the perfect opportunity.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019

It's hard to compare with what ifs, but when Nintendo revealed MP4 they didn't do it at the end because they had a bigger game to show and Bayo 3 was revealed at TGA so it's not the same, still even if that were to happen those 2 get the advantage of being actual new games maybe a new Xenobalde instead of a remaster would've fared better.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

That's all very true. Unless it was Smash, Mario or Zelda, very little was going to compare to what they ended their last two Directs with.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope I'm not coming off as too defensive here. I'm just honestly having trouble understanding what's outlandish about this.

I can see that. I find this idea that Nintendo would try to manage disappointment by announcing another fighters pass when they constantly show and release stuff that is disappointing to be pretty far-fetched. Especially when the most obvious explanation is that they announced more fighters because this is one of their three big directs of the year.

edit: clarified

Status
Not open for further replies.