• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can see that. I find this idea that Nintendo would try to manage disappointment when they constantly show and release stuff that is disappointing to be pretty far-fetched. Especially when the most obvious explanation is that they announced more fighters because this is one of their three big directs of the year.

Imran said on his twitch stream that they had only decided to do more fighters at or around E3 so this was literally the next opportunity.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Imran said on his twitch stream that they had only decided to do more fighters at or around E3 so this was literally the next opportunity.
Hmm. Who decided, Sakurai or Nintendo?
Just stop it, Nintendo. Casuals are gone and they're never coming back. You do what you always have done: Make traditional games.
Eh, I'm sure Nintendo didn't trade one core game for this... thing. I'm happy with their output

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
I can see that. I find this idea that Nintendo would try to manage disappointment by announcing another fighters pass when they constantly show and release stuff that is disappointing to be pretty far-fetched.

OK, yes, this is a fair point. Nintendo doesn't exactly have a history of expertly managing expectations. Although they did something similar with Metroid Prime 4/Samus Returns where they made a somewhat premature announcement in order to temper potential backlash from a related announcement. (In retrospect this was a pretty bad move probably, given how troubled MP4's development turned out to be and the fact that Samus Returns actually was very positively received, especially post-release.)

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

That said it themselves, casuals are not the ones they're targeting for anymore. And then they come up with this.

Also wiggle waggle was an failed experiement that was done by all three console makers. I don't know what Nintendo trying to achieve with this ultimate waggle thing, but I really don't want to find out.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone in the other thread posted, it's pretty much a pilates ring

511xrPlGy-L.jpg

I assume the Wii Fit people are making this which is terrible because they could have been working on Zoda's Resurrection: StarTropics III or Eternal Darkness 2.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Mystery Game #4 it is. Apparently it's not entirely casual?
This was Mystery game #4, and I'm glad it's still releasing this year. It's from the Labo team. Now ya'll see why when you asked if it was aimed at casuals or enthusiasts, I was a bit hesitant to answer that question. Supposedly it has really nice graphics (for a family game, that is)? The Labo team worked on it, but there's staff from other parts of EPD involved as well.

Here's what I wrote earlier this morning on this forum.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
As someone in the other thread posted, it's pretty much a pilates ring

511xrPlGy-L.jpg

I assume the Wii Fit people are making this which is terrible because they could have been working on Zoda's Resurrection: StarTropics III or Eternal Darkness 2.
Really I think the Wii Fit people should be make F Zero Race: Wave X Edition.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. Who decided, Sakurai or Nintendo?

Eh, I'm sure Nintendo didn't trade one core game for this... thing. I'm happy with their output

Nah, we didn't sacrifice anything for this... But this does gives some of the third parties excuse to not work on Switch. "Our games is not for Nintendo audience, they only love casual or kiddie stuff". I'm looking at you, Mr. Toshihiro Nagoshi. One way or another you will port those Yakuza games to Switch. (I'm kidding, we don't force you to do anything, please get well soon)

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
That said it themselves, casuals are not the ones they're targeting for anymore. And then they come up with this.

Also wiggle waggle was an failed experiement that was done by all three console makers. I don't know what Nintendo trying to achieve with this ultimate waggle thing, but I really don't want to find out.
Releasing a couple of games per year aimed at a more casual audience doesn't mean that their software strategy isn't to target a core demo.

Motion controls just like touch controls were pioneered by Nintendo and are widely successful. The Wii Sports/Fit games are among the best selling games of all time.

If you dont like those experiments, no problem, but no need to assume that your opinion is shared by everyone.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, we didn't sacrifice anything for this... But this does gives some of the third parties excuse to not work on Switch. "Our games is not for Nintendo audience, they only love casual or kiddie stuff". I'm looking at you, Mr. Toshihiro Nagoshi. One way or another you will port those Yakuza games to Switch. (I'm kidding, we don't force you to do anything, please get well soon)

lmao for real?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was the worst direct of the year. It wasn't bad. It was fine. I don't like ending on a remaster. Two straight Directs and Nintendo only announced 2-3 new first party games....like come on 2 straight Directs and that's all you have first party wise?

Xenoblade Chronicles DE is great. I did almost tear up hearing the music and that's day 1. TMS is day 1. I'm so happy that's coming. It's another day 1.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
That was the worst direct of the year. It wasn't bad. It was fine. I don't like ending on a remaster. Two straight Directs and Nintendo only announced 2-3 new first party games....like come on 2 straight Directs and that's all you have first party wise?

Xenoblade Chronicles DE is great. I did almost tear up hearing the music and that's day 1. TMS is day 1. I'm so happy that's coming. It's another day 1.
Agreed with you.

However I really think that they didnt need to show more. Software schedule is insanely packed (wtf September lol)

Keep the big guns ready for 2020 when the battle will be fierce against next gen consoles.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed with you.

However I really think that they didnt need to show more. Software schedule is insanely packed (wtf September lol)

Keep the big guns ready for 2020 when the battle will be fierce against next gen consoles.
This month is just beyond insane. I can't even buy everything I want from this month alone lol.

I just kind of wished they had one more bigger first party title. Like E3 they had Banjo in Smash, then BotW 2. Even if it was like a Pikmin 4 or 2D Metroid level type of announcement would've made this Direct great. I would've started the Direct with Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and ended with a new Nintendo first party game.

It's all good in the end. January I'm starting the year off good with TMS.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
He said that because Yakuza 1 & 2 bombed horribly.

Yeah, devs come up with most stupid excuses. Worst one is blaming us, Nintendo fans. It's like as if we are from another planet and our game tastes are completely different than PS crowd.

I mean, he didn't even localize the games! Despite the fact that official translations for both games exist!

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, devs come up with most stupid excuses. Worst one is blaming us, Nintendo fans. It's like as if we are from another planet and our game tastes are completely different than PS crowd.

I mean, he didn't even localize the games! Despite the fact that official translations for both games exist!
The game opened at around 2000 units sold in Japan. There is no conspiracy therory, game bombed and hurt them financially.

Now I believe that they are making a mistake by not releasing the upcoming games on Switch. They probably would find a good success, mostly in the West.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019

I knew we would agree on this one. Wasn't bad but was incredibly underwhelming imo despite some great ports. Very bummed about Mystery Game #4 being...whatever that thing is, though. Curious to see on 9.12 if there's any way that device could appeal to me

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Emily's December game is this new rubber band fitness looking game lol. And Pikmin 3 she said is getting new single player stuff. Wonder when it will come out. Maybe the goal is August timeframe.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Definitely in the bottom half of Switch-era Directs for me. At least it's above March 2017 and January 2018. Those two were rough.

Deleted member 4067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It ended on a remaster because thats all you guys be asking for

Next one gonna end on Metroid Prime Trilogy or Pikmin 3

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
So Emily's December game is this new rubber band fitness looking game lol. And Pikmin 3 she said is getting new single player stuff. Wonder when it will come out. Maybe the goal is August timeframe.
It could come out in April.

Since it is an enhanced port, it can release a couple of months after the announcement (either in January or February).

Definitely in the bottom half of Switch-era Directs for me. At least it's above March 2017 and January 2018. Those two were rough.
I would put it above September 2017. Pacing was way better in this one (plus Sep 2017 had no 1st party Switch reveal).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew we would agree on this one. Wasn't bad but was incredibly underwhelming imo despite some great ports. Very bummed about Mystery Game #4 being...whatever that thing is, though. Curious to see on 9.12 if there's any way that device could appeal to me

I started to think Mystery Game #4 was probably a casual title, since Emily couldn't really describe it. I guess we'll see what game works for it next week.

I agree. I'm just not a fan of your "one more thing" being a remaster. I figured it was Monolith Soft and was hoping it was a new IP. I think Nintendo could've thrown in another new first party game.

It also piggybacks off of E3 direct. Nintendo only announced one new first party game and it was BotW 2. You can't get bigger than that. So to go 2 straight Directs with minimalistic announcements of new first party games is kind of odd to me.

Now Pikmin 3 content?!? Have a link?

It could come out in April.

Since it is an enhanced port, it can release a couple of months after the announcement (either in January or February).

I would put it above September 2017. Pacing was way better in this one (plus Sep 2017 had no 1st party Switch reveal).

Yeah this is better than September 2017. Xenoblade alone did that for me lol. I could see us getting a January direct if Pikmin 3 is an April game. Actually we could get a Mini Direct in January.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

September 2017 had craploads of FF games, Civ 6 and Katamari, those alone put it above this year's for me. FF12 on a portable is a dream came true for me. This year's had some nice surprises like Jedi Knight, Divinity and Deadly Premonition 2 but they're not enough to top FF. FF games are big deal.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
September 2017 had craploads of FF games, Civ 6 and Katamari, those alone put it above this year's for me. FF12 on a portable is a dream came true for me. This year's had some nice surprises like Jedi Knight, Divinity and Deadly Premonition 2 but they're not enough to top FF. FF games are big deal.

You're thinking of September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.