• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
September 2017 had craploads of FF games, Civ 6 and Katamari, those alone put it above this year's for me. FF12 on a portable is a dream came true for me. This year's had some nice surprises like Jedi Knight, Divinity and Deadly Premonition 2 but they're not enough to top FF. FF games are big deal.
That wasn't 2017

Method

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever this new peripheral game is, if it does come out oin December, I'm damn impressed with Nintendo's 2019 release schedule. Just completely packed to end the year

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
In terms of first party stuff it looks about the same to me. A Wii U port and one major release.
I wouldn't call Kirby or Yoshi major tbh, Animal Crossing will sell more than double those two combined and as a game AC is one peple can sink literally hundreds of hours, that's a major release not a mid tier release so it is better anyway, this time the two releases are two different genres so it adds more variety, not to mention Gods and Monsters even though is third party is releasing day and date on Switch on February (as far as we know)so that's another point in favor of 2019.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't call Kirby or Yoshi major tbh, Animal Crossing will sell more than double those two combined and as a game AC is one peple can sink literally hundreds of hours, that's a major release not a mid tier release so it is better anyway, this time the two releases are two different genres so it adds more variety, not to mention Gods and Monsters even though is third party is releasing day and date on Switch on February (as far as we know)so that's another point in favor of 2019.
Animal Crossing will sell 4-5 times as much as Yoshi and Kirby combined. That's why Q1 2020 is a different deal than these years past. Like you said you have to look at Gods and Monsters in February. That could be a very good game.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Animal Crossing will sell 4-5 times as much as Yoshi and Kirby combined. That's why Q1 2020 is a different deal than these years past. Like you said you have to look at Gods and Monsters in February. That could be a very good game.
I think i really underestimated AC sales but at the same time didn't want to sound hyperbolic or something.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It's not hyperbolic though. Kirby and Yoshi could combine for 3-4 million. Animal Crossing sold over 12 million on 3DS. It should have no troubles clearing that on Switch.

The biggest hinderance is price point. 3DS Animal Crossing is $40 to this new game's $60. So it may be slower reaching the highs of the 3DS game, although it should do better than City Folks.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
I'm not going to rant or complain that we get too many Wii U ports... But I'm actually a bit worried that we're going to get a Color Splash port instead of a new Paper Mario.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
So Emily's December game is this new rubber band fitness looking game lol. And Pikmin 3 she said is getting new single player stuff. Wonder when it will come out. Maybe the goal is August timeframe.

I expecting Spring-Summer like release time frame for Pikmin 3, so that would mean that we probably will not have Pikmin 4 in 2020.

Is it safe to say that Pikmin 4 that Miyamoto famously said was finished turned out to indeed be Hey Pikman for the 3DS. I guess that's my biggest disappointment, was hoping to see some new Pikmin and thought that Pikmin 3 would be the Wii U port we would see.

That's wrong, Miyamoto specifically talk about Pikmin 4.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-14-miyamoto-pikmin-4-still-progressing

Just stop it, Nintendo. Casuals are gone and they're never coming back. You do what you always have done: Make traditional games.

I dont see problem if they making traditional games but in same time few games for casuals.

He really said that, that Yakuza is not suitable for Nintendo crowd. I really hope someday he changes his mind, though.

He said that only because Yakuza bombed in Japan on Wii U.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody still have that Fifth Element gif with Ruby Rhod talking about "Nintendo's next system"?

"It's got EVERYTHING!" indeed. Somebody needs to remake that gif.

Last edited:

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
This month is just beyond insane. I can't even buy everything I want from this month alone lol.

I just kind of wished they had one more bigger first party title. Like E3 they had Banjo in Smash, then BotW 2. Even if it was like a Pikmin 4 or 2D Metroid level type of announcement would've made this Direct great. I would've started the Direct with Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and ended with a new Nintendo first party game.

It's all good in the end. January I'm starting the year off good with TMS.
Agree, I also wanted an extra announcement but I get Animal Crossing is there as well so they have no need to unveil a lot of 2020 right now as compared to previous years.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I can't remember, but did the Animal Crossing info seemed redundant? I thought we knew the stuff they showed.

It did. It was nice seeing new footage, but the fact that the trailer was lengthy didn't bring me much excitement despite anticipating the game. Someone mentioned, though, to me that it brought up a lot of info said during Treehouse, so it was good for those who might not have had the time or desire to catch that. For folks like us, though, it was pretty redundant, unfortunately.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
this....doesn't mean anything.

It's pretty self explanatory though, it's just that you're trying to be a dick, as always on any Nintendo topic when someone isn't 110% positive.
The Witcher 3, Doom, Wolfenstein, even Skyrim or Diablo 3 and console exclusive Civ 6 had no business being on a Nintendo system a few years ago, yet here we are.
This direct was disappointing in that regard (though I guess overwatch more or less fits the bill). And I added the name of Sekiro to illustrate a software that I wish would come to Switch. There are countless of other unexpected ports that could happen, but unfortunately, close to none were shown during this direct; hence why I believe that in terms of content, it would have been better as a 15 minutes presentation.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
It's pretty self explanatory though, it's just that you're trying to be a dick, as always on any Nintendo topic when someone isn't 110% positive.
The Witcher 3, Doom, Wolfenstein, even Skyrim or Diablo 3 and console exclusive Civ 6 had no business being on a Nintendo system a few years ago, yet here we are.
This direct was disappointing in that regard (though I guess overwatch more or less fits the bill). And I added the name of Sekiro to illustrate a software that I wish would come to Switch. There are countless of other unexpected ports that could happen, but unfortunately, close to none were shown during this direct; hence why I believe that in terms of content, it would have been better as a 15 minutes presentation.

Overwatch definitely fits that bill, but problem is that Overwatch leaked days/weeks before Direct and we know it will be there so we act like that supposed to happen on first place and we want more.
This is just one Direct, point that some of games you mentioned didn't announced now or in this Direct doesnt mean it will not happen later, just that some of those games certainly will be released in next few months.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Overwatch definitely fits that bill, but problem is that Overwatch leaked days/weeks before Direct and we know it will be there so we act like that supposed to happen on first place and we want more.
This is just one Direct, point that some of games you mentioned didn't announced now or in this Direct doesnt mean it will not happen later.

That's always the issue with leaked games...
Also the outer worlds, although we knew it, is huge...

People have crazy expectations now lol, they should remember WiiU days and compare to last direct.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
That's always the issue with leaked games...
Also the outer worlds, although we knew it, is huge...

People have crazy expectations now lol, they should remember WiiU days and compare to last direct.

You are right, I also forget, like you wrote, Outer World is huge game but that announcement pass under radar..

I mean I understand, now people have bigger expectations and they expecting at least on big 3rd party game every Direct, but this Direct was Overwatch, offcourse it would be better if we had another big 3rd party announcements especially because we know that Overwatch will be there.

Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Inversely, say they ended with Bayonetta 3... well, Bayonetta 2 sold about 700,000 copies, INCLUDING both WiiU and Switch. But it'd still be really great.
That 700k number includes only the first 6-9 weeks of both versions (depending on the cutoff used by Nintendo - that wasn't made explicit in the report in question). The actual sales number should be higher.

Edit: Also, the latest report on XBC2 is that it sold 1.73M as of March 31st 2019 :D

Last edited:

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
You are right, I also forget, like you wrote, Outer World is huge game but that announcement pass under radar..

I mean I understand, now people have bigger expectations and they expecting at least on big 3rd party game every Direct, but this Direct was Overwatch, offcourse it would be better if we had another big 3rd party announcements especially because we know that Overwatch will be there.

The thing is, something it seems to me that people want surprises more than actual games

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to wonder if the pilates ring thing might be [redacted]/witchcraft. Depending on how they use the inputs it might be a really cool and novel use of technology.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Yeah it definitely can't be Xenoblade as they said [REDACTED] is releasing in 2019.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
What is Divinity and Obra Dinn though? Never heard of those. And I think I'm not the only one. So for people like me who don't know or care about Divinity or that other game, Deadly something, why is it so hard to imagine that the direct was boring for us?

Regarding third party support, big stuff the masses care about like Death Stranding, Cyberpunk 2077, Call of duty and more will never come to Switch. And GTA V is still not on it either.

But yeah, it's better than before. Witcher 3 specifically was a nice surprise. Overwatch would hd ave been huge... A year ago. Now everyone plays Apex Legends.
You are fully entitled to feel bored, but since you are not familiar with them,
this is Divinity 2: https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/divinity-original-sin-ii (no. 1 best PC game on MC 2017)
and this is Obra Dinn: https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/return-of-the-obra-dinn (no. 3 best PC game on MC 2018)

Which is why even just between these two, even ignoring other things, this was a great direct for people who do know them.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
While it is not as well known (at least to some) as Witcher 3, Diablo 3 etc, Divinity 2 (that was shadow dropped) was the best PC game on MC in 2017 ( MC 93 https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/divinity-original-sin-ii) and definitely fits the bill of a "game that had no business being on a Nintendo system a few years ago yet here we are" and is a big deal to many people.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
While it is not as well known (at least to some) as Witcher 3, Diablo 3 etc, Divinity 2 (that was shadow dropped) was the best PC game on MC in 2017 ( MC 93 https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/divinity-original-sin-ii) and definitely fits the bill of a "game that had no business being on a Nintendo system a few years ago yet here we are" and is a big deal to many people.

Yeah people I think are seriously overlooking Divinity OS2 and how huge of a get that was. It has been one of my most wanted Switch ports for well over a year now, and I'm beyond hyped that it's out now.

Maybe it wasn't advertised well in the Direct? It's basically Baldur's Gate crossed with Mario + Rabbids. How could that not be immediately compelling to many folks?

Oct 25, 2017
I was fine with the Animal Crossing trailer since that game has gotten two deep dives, it should little presence at the next direct.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Uh what
Do i know you
Reported for that.

Anyway as for the argument, divinity original sin (one of the highest rated rpgs of the gen if not the highest) fits that criteria, so the point was wrong. Throw overwatch in or whatever. I didnt even like the direct much but I don't make up stuff

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
If this is a bad Direct, I really wanna know what do you guys call a good Direct...

Screenshot_20190906-113405_WhatsApp.jpg

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that the four games on the list that I will buy, I already planned to buy before the Direct.

Nothing new. Personally, not a great Direct, but I see the value for other interests.

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It was a great Direct, but I'm somewhat alarmed by the Animal Crossing segment - why would anyone accept a mobile device from a money-lending, Hawaii-shirt-wearing, mafioso looking raccoon? TOM NOOK IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED

"Here's your burner. If the cops come, lose it. Now, get farming weeds".

Oct 25, 2017
"I didn't get Metroid Prime 4 despite knowing that they JUST started working on it so Nintendo sux"
"I don't know what Deadly Premonition is so thats a waste of time. There needs to be more NINTENDO games at a Nintendo direct"

Man,I still can't believe we're getting Jedi Outcast HD on a portable. It was one of my favorite GameCube games ever and best Star Wars game hands down. Crazy times we're living in.
Not when Knights of the Old Republic 2 exists

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I think the negativity here just shows that ending with XC DE left most people with a bad taste in their mouth lol, i have nothing against the game and its fans but that's not the thing people want to see a direct closing with it kills the hype.

The thing that's skewing my perspective a little is that the Direct itself ended with XC, but then we had a couple of surprises in the Sakurai video afterwards, and the whole Direct period for me ended with the discovery that the Japanese Direct had also revealed Moon, and later indications revealed an English translation also coming.

So the final reveal for me sent me absolutely apeshit with joy... but I fully recognise how niche it is for anyone else!

Edit: Actually with Moon, DP2 and Trials of Mana, this year of Nintendo reveals for me absolutely rivals the Shenmue/FF7R reveals of Playstation E3 2015 for sheer "THIS IS SOMETHING I NEVER EXPECTED TO HAPPEN"

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a good Direct, I was just disappointed by the final reveal - not that I don't welcome it, just was hoping for other things (something Metroid or Pikmin, or original, etc.).

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
"I don't know what Deadly Premonition is so thats a waste of time. There needs to be more NINTENDO games at a Nintendo direct"

"But only Nintendo games I know and love. Mario, Zelda, Smash, Pokémon, Xenoblade. Maybe Fire Emblem. I don't know what Fossil Fighters is keep it away from me!"

I wonder how many people went to eShop after the Direct and downloaded that new Kirby game. Feels like it was overlooked.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"But only Nintendo games I know and love. Mario, Zelda, Smash, Pokémon, Xenoblade. Maybe Fire Emblem. I don't know what Fossil Fighters is keep it away from me!"

I wonder how many people went to eShop after the Direct and downloaded that new Kirby game. Feels like it was overlooked.

REAL Nintendo fans don't care about Xenoblade and Fire Emblem, it's not like they're massive franchises like Metroid or F-Zero.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

Thanks for the heads up mate. I indeed do not know much of this game and overlooked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.