• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
The biggest hinderance is price point. 3DS Animal Crossing is $40 to this new game's $60. So it may be slower reaching the highs of the 3DS game, although it should do better than City Folks.
Nah, the games on switch always sell better regardless of the price discrepancy. I really don't think anyone that's been waiting around for the past 7 years for a new Animal Crossing game will worry about the extra $20.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
If this is a bad Direct, I really wanna know what do you guys call a good Direct...

Screenshot_20190906-113405_WhatsApp.jpg

If all of those games were announced during this Direct, it'd be the greatest of all time, but most of the significant games listed here were announced months ago and (unfortunately) the others were leaked by classifications boards and retailers.

That's not to say this was a bad Direct. It really reiterated how packed the next few months are and tantalized us with a few 2020 titles, which is all it really needed to do. (And a few of the announcements, like Doom 64 and Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, were on my personal wish list.)

The only real unequivocal weak spot was the too long Animal Crossing rehash segment, but I guess even that has value if you only watched the E3 presentation and skipped the Treehouse.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
If all of those games were announced during this Direct, it'd be the greatest of all time, but most of the significant games listed here were announced months ago and (unfortunately) the others were leaked by classifications boards and retailers.

That's not to say this was a bad Direct. It really reiterated how packed the next few months are and tantalized us with a few 2020 titles, which is all it really needed to do. (And a few of the announcements, like Doom 64 and Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, were on my personal wish list.)

The only real unequivocal weak spot was the too long Animal Crossing rehash segment, but I guess even that has value if you only watched the E3 presentation and skipped the Treehouse.

This direct was mostly about showing more of games we already know about, and personally that's what I really wanted. They can wait till early next year to show what's coming in Q2/Q3 2020. That way they'll have more new games to show when the schedule is looking empty, anyways. Right now we have a bunch of games releasing in the next few months, plus a huge game in Animal Crossing in Q1 2020. I can see what you're saying about the Animal Crossing part, but after all the time AC fans have waited, they deserve a 5 minute segment on the game, especially seeing as we will likely not hear more about the game until January/February next year.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Nah, the games on switch always sell better regardless of the price discrepancy. I really don't think anyone that's been waiting around for the past 7 years for a new Animal Crossing game will worry about the extra $20.

Yeah, we've heard the "$60 for game X will hurt sales" argument many times before, and it has pretty much always looked silly in retrospect.

That said, the two biggest tests of whether a major franchise normally priced at $40 can still sell ridiculously well with a $60 price point (Pokemon Sword & Shield, Animal Crossing) are yet to come.

I mean, it may not have been the one you wanted, but Super Kirby Clash was a new first party game

Super Kirby Clash. Out now.

And the way that they're remaking Xenoblade Chronicles, may as well be a new game.

Insult, meet injury.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
Yeah, we've heard the "$60 for game X will hurt sales" argument many times before, and it has pretty much always looked silly in retrospect.

That said, the two biggest tests of whether a major franchise normally priced at $40 can still sell ridiculously well with a $60 price point (Pokemon Sword & Shield, Animal Crossing) are yet to come.
Agreed, but based on the way that even Let's Go sold well, I would say there's not gonna be a problem.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
This direct was mostly about showing more of games we already know about, and personally that's what I really wanted. They can wait till early next year to show what's coming in Q2/Q3 2020. That way they'll have more new games to show when the schedule is looking empty, anyways. Right now we have a bunch of games releasing in the next few months, plus a huge game in Animal Crossing in Q1 2020.

This seems reasonable to me. And the segments on already released games did help to make me more excited for them. I've seen a lot of complaining about the Pokemon segment, but I absolutely loved it. The Luigi's Mansion segment was great too (even if I feel like they're getting a little too deep into spoiler territory with all they're showing), and Daemon X Machina definitely needed the new demo since it seems to be struggling to build buzz.

I can see what you're saying about the Animal Crossing part, but after all the time AC fans have waited, they deserve a 5 minute segment on the game, especially seeing as we will likely not hear more about the game until January/February next year.

Five minutes on Animal Crossing makes sense in theory, but it was frustrating that there was essentially no new information shared during that time.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
2Lx4yzJ.jpg

Green: Insta Buy
Yellow: Interested, could easily be a buy
Purple: No current interest
Red: Nope
Blue: Already own in some form or another

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
Five minutes on Animal Crossing makes sense in theory, but it was frustrating that there was essentially no new information shared during that time.
This I fully agree with. I was hoping to find out answers to questions that all the AC fans are asking. What is progression like for building up your deserted island into an established town? We've had hints of that from interviews with the producer(s), but nothing has actually been shown on that. I was eager to see that and this definitely felt like a recap of the Tree House if you had missed it.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
This I fully agree with. I was hoping to find out answers to questions that all the AC fans are asking. What is progression like for building up your deserted island into an established town? We've had hints of that from interviews with the producer(s), but nothing has actually been shown on that. I was eager to see that and this definitely felt like a recap of the Tree House if you had missed it.
I mean they basically said it was which is really odd.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm reaching here but does anyone think that they haven't showed off too much of their 2020 cards because there will be a Switch Pro release sometime next year?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Maybe I'm reaching here but does anyone think that they haven't showed off too much of their 2020 cards because there will be a Switch Pro release sometime next year?

I think it's just because this wasn't the direct for it. Also I think next year is going to mimmick this year in terms of releases

January New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe - Wii U Port
March - Yoshi's Crafted World - Major first party Release
June - Onward Hold on to your butts

January Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore - Wii U Port
March Animal Crossing New Horizons Major first party release
June-Onward hold on to your butts

I expect plenty of 2020 announcements in the spring direct next year

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not because they did the same in 2017 and 2018.

Yea, but this time last year we already knew about Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, NSMBU: DX, Yoshi, and Daemon x Machina. Not to mention Pokémon was almost a guarantee.

Don't get me wrong I love it when they hold off making announcements, but it feels more like late 2017 than late 2018 if you know what I mean.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched some reactions streams and read a lot of impressions of the Direct and a big announcement that feels very underrated in the Nintendo world is Divinity II. I know the crpg audience probably isn't as big on Switch than the Jrpg one but I hope people realize how much of a masterpiece this game is and what a big deal it as to get it the day of with cross save.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Oh it's real. Probably in the same vein as Wii Fit.

If you follow the rumor mill, I believe it's Emily's Mystery game #4 for 2019, a new IP by EPD. And sInce it is an outlier, same as Labo they decided to show it outside of the Direct.

Yeah, and there's supposedly an unexpected hook/twist to this new IP. So I'm super intrigued to see the full reveal next week.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, but this time last year we already knew about Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, NSMBU: DX, Yoshi, and Daemon x Machina. Not to mention Pokémon was almost a guarantee.

Don't get me wrong I love it when they hold off making announcements, but it feels more like late 2017 than late 2018 if you know what I mean.

I think it was mainly because Nintendo didn't have a lot to announce or release for 2018, so they decided to show some of what was in store for the next year. This year they have plenty to announce and release so they didn't feel the need to show their hand for 2020 yet.

I've watched some reactions streams and read a lot of impressions of the Direct and a big announcement that feels very underrated in the Nintendo world is Divinity II. I know the crpg audience probably isn't as big on Switch than the Jrpg one but I hope people realize how much of a masterpiece this game is and what a big deal it as to get it the day of with cross save.

Yeah I'm pretty shocked at how muted the response has been for that. Especially considering the tactical turn based combat really reminds me of Mario + Rabbids at times.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm pretty shocked at how muted the response has been for that. Especially considering the tactical turn based combat really reminds me of Mario + Rabbids at times.
I think most people simply don't know what the game is, the critical reception and the huge success it was. They see a top down fantasy game, probably think it's a Diablo knock off, and move on. Maybe that's on the trailer for not making a bigger case for it?

It's just funny to see people go nuts for games like Tokyo Mirage Sessions or Deadly Premonition and then completely ignore Divinity. Maybe it's just not the audience for it.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
Oh it's real. Probably in the same vein as Wii Fit.

If you follow the rumor mill, I believe it's Emily's Mystery game #4 for 2019, a new IP by EPD. And sInce it is an outlier, same as Labo they decided to show it outside of the Direct.

Yeah, looks like that might actually be the last Mystery game. It looks weird.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think most people simply don't know what the game is, the critical reception and the huge success it was. They see a top down fantasy game, probably think it's a Diablo knock off, and move on. Maybe that's on the trailer for not making a bigger case for it?

It's just funny to see people go nuts for games like Tokyo Mirage Sessions or Deadly Premonition and then completely ignore Divinity. Maybe it's just not the audience for it.

No I think you're right that it's down to the trailer and the game being shadow dropped with no marketing. Again the combat is not all that different from something like M+R or XCOM which the Switch audience has shown to like but this trailer did a terrible job showcasing it. I might make a thread about it after I play it.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
It looks great. I sincerely also wish it is somehow compatible with the Wii Fit Board.
I agree, it certainly looks interesting. I just showed the guy I was responding to that his criteria for a good Direct would have probably been for many people (probably the same that were disappointed by the Direct) a monkey's paw. :-)

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I agree, it certainly looks interesting. I just showed the guy I was responding to that his criteria for a good Direct would have probably been for many people (probably the same that were disappointed by the Direct) a monkey's paw. :-)
Ah. Now I got it.

I agree wholeheartedly. Direct would have been a wrong place for this, even if it is 100% Nintendo and probably a new IP.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If this is a bad Direct, I really wanna know what do you guys call a good Direct...
Come on - that list is filled with ports, DLC updates and games we've known for ages. Just Dance and Devil May Cry 2 don't impress anyone either.

I thought the direct was fine overall, but I get why it underwhelmed a lot of people. I think there was an expectation that it would give us a good idea of what to expect in Q1+Q2 of 2020, especially after how awful the first half of 2019 was for many. Instead it only added one game to the schedule (Tokyo Mirage Sessions), and a re-release is obviously going to have limited appeal on an enthusiastic forum like this because a higher than average amount of people will have likely played it already.

As always - I'm sure that the Switch's library is absolutely mindblowing for people who don't own another system, or who for whatever reason haven't already played all of the games from the past 40 years that keep getting ported to it, but it's largely not working for me. I've usually either played them already, or actively chose not to play them because I know they aren't my cup of tea.

Where are the original third party games from the bigger publishers? We're over two years into the Switch's life and the only notable exclusive games that come to mind are Mario+Rabbids, Octopath Traveler, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and the upcoming Deadly Premonition 2. I get that the system is more expensive to develop for than the 3DS, but I still hoped for better than this tbh.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Not everything is about Switch Pro.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
These are only the first 9 weeks.
Right, but there's been no update on it clearing any major financial milestones during any of Nintendo's next fiscal reports. Obviously, it continued to sell (and is still selling).

I don't think it's cleared 1 million, though. They definitely would've reported that by now.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I think it's just because this wasn't the direct for it. Also I think next year is going to mimmick this year in terms of releases

January New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe - Wii U Port
March - Yoshi's Crafted World - Major first party Release
June - Onward Hold on to your butts

January Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore - Wii U Port
March Animal Crossing New Horizons Major first party release
June-Onward hold on to your butts

I expect plenty of 2020 announcements in the spring direct next year

I am willing to bet we will have some releases in April/May also, maybe even in February.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm hyped for it! Always looked great, and reminiscent of Mario + Rabbids you say? I should look up some gameplay, it seems. I've just bought Spyro, so I'm set for early September already, and Puzzle Quest comes out September 19th, and DQXI S on the 27th. I think shadow dropping a huge time commitment like that in the most stacked month of the year is not very conducive to instant purchasing, unfortunately.

But I will probably get to it either in December or in early 2020. Might even have a small price drop by then. €50 is a lot of money (though I'm not saying it's expensive).

I think Bayonetta 3 is a H1 2020 game.
Any specific reason for that? They could show it during TGA and then release it in may for sure, but that's all speculative right now.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Right, but there's been no update on it clearing any major financial milestones during any of Nintendo's next fiscal reports. Obviously, it continued to sell (and is still selling).

I don't think it's cleared 1 million, though. They definitely would've reported that by now.
For sure the WiiU and Switch releases separately didn't hit 1M. But they wouldn't have reported that Bayo 2 WiiU + Switch sold 1M combined, they never do that for any game after the first fiscal year is over.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

It's a game that I'd been hoping would come to Switch, and I'm excited to play it for the first time.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I am willing to bet we will have some releases in April/May also, maybe even in February.

I wish Nintendo has all the resources and power to release a big game each month too but it is nothing but a dream. In a day and age where Nintendo's competitors have the ability to release only 3 first party games per year we should be thankful that Nintendo still has the power to do the double of that.

If those first party release gaps feels like a problem, I recommend not being dependant to Nintendo's in house franchises.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I know these are still ports, but anyone arguing that the 2016 GOTY of Overwatch, the PC 2017 GOTY of Divinity: OS 2, and the 2018 PC GOTY winner of Obra Dinn aren't big gets for a console are crazy.

I do find it interesting that more PC-centric games are coming to Switch than popular console titles. It might be because they tend to be more scalable?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
No buzz for Little Town Hero. I'm sure it didn't blow anyone's mind, but the battle system looks potentially interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.