• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Just watching the direct now. Are they serious about needing Amiibo's to be able to share dungeons you create in Link's Awakening? I guess that's a feature I'll never use now.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how can anyone be disappointed by this? i swear some of yall just straight up don't like video games

edyuwouwwaa-q-kr7jo1.jpeg

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
how can anyone be disappointed by this? i swear some of yall just straight up don't like video games

The Direct was good in terms of content, but don't act like it's not understandable to be disappointed in the lack of a completely new First Party game announcement.

We know Nintendo has a ton of games in development as has at least one they could've teased or shown, and they had set that standard with the past two directs. I mean 2019 is completely jampacked and focusing on adding a ton to that was the least "exciting" thing they could do.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Direct was good in terms of content, but don't act like it's not understandable to be disappointed in the lack of a completely new First Party game announcement.

We know Nintendo has a ton of games in development as has at least one they could've teased or shown, and they had set that standard with the past two directs. I mean 2019 is completely jampacked and focusing on adding a ton to that was the least "exciting" thing they could do.
but how much can you announce? there's like 10 first party games coming in the next 5 or 6 months. it's not really necessary to do it right now. i much prefer something like astral chain where announcement to release takes 6 months.
i just say this direct as a great showcase for 3rd party games, reminder for upcoming games, and two cool ports in TMS and xenoblade 1.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017

I wouldn't say I'm disappointed. It's just that there isn't anything new there that excited me. Majority of it is stuff I've already played awhile ago or didn't want to play when it first released. In terms of Pokemon and Zelda, I'm already hyped af and know I'm getting them, so it's not something new for me. Also, not really interested in Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, or Smash franchises, but I can see why others would be elated seeing more of it.

The only one I'm kinda disappointed with is the Kirby one. I like Kirby, but that game does nothing for me so far.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL

Games I can play soon>>> games releasing next year and beyond
And E3 wasn't that long ago so if they were going to announce something new & notable it probably would have been done then.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

Sorry, but it's not understandable, I can't understand. Didn't you people own a GBA back in the day? Don't you remember that NEW first party games were such rarity on that console? Why are everyone so dependant on first party offerings now? What have changed exactly?

As I said before it's getting more and more expensive and exhausting creating brand new games. Sony and Xbox currently release no more than 3 games a year and that's remakes included. You've gotta brace yourselves for that future because that's exactly where Nintendo is headed too. Nintendo is not comprised of people with super powers as many think it is. We're super lucky that we got 8 brand new Nintendo published games this year because I really doubt it's ever gonna repeat.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
but how much can you announce? there's like 10 first party games coming in the next 5 or 6 months. it's not really necessary to do it right now. i much prefer something like astral chain where announcement to release takes 6 months.
i just say this direct as a great showcase for 3rd party games, reminder for upcoming games, and two cool ports in TMS and xenoblade 1.
I mean we basically know nothing about their 2020 so far, so they could've announced that.

And yes it was great, I'm just trying to explain why many may have been disappointed when the two "one more things" of the last Direct were Astral Chain/LA for February and Banjo/BotW2 at E3.

Here they ended it with a 5 minute trailer showing nothing new for AC, and a (great looking, yes) remaster.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but it's not understandable, I can't understand. Didn't you people own a GBA back in the day? Don't you remember that NEW first party games were such rarity on that console? Why are everyone so dependant on first party offerings now? What have changed exactly?

As I said before it's getting more and more expensive and exhausting creating brand new games. Sony and Xbox currently release no more than 3 games a year and that's remakes included. You've gotta brace yourselves for that future because that's exactly where Nintendo is headed too. Nintendo is not comprised of people with super powers as many think it is. We're super lucky that we got 8 brand new Nintendo published games this year because I really doubt it's ever gonna repeat.
Nintendo set that own standard with their past two directs though. SMM2, LA, AC in February. It seemed they even went out of their way to get a new first party announcement in E3 with BotW2 since it's so far off.

I don't for one second believes Nintendo has no first party games for 2020 they could've teased. Comparing their first party to Sony and MS is weird because their first party division is so big and important to them compared. Not to mention they don't throw a ton of budget at every single game and can make games of various sizes.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017

I liked spme of these games... when I played them years to decades ago already, because I've been a core gamer for a while. Sorry I don't buy new consoles for old ass games plus Luigis Mansion and some halfbaked Pokemon? A good lineup would have the exact opposite amount/proportion of old and new.

Sp1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 19, 2018

lol imagine buying a premium priced new console for SNES games you don't own and Devil May Cry 2. And a bunch of shit that has in the bargain bin for years on other machines.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hyped for it! Always looked great, and reminiscent of Mario + Rabbids you say? I should look up some gameplay, it seems. I've just bought Spyro, so I'm set for early September already, and Puzzle Quest comes out September 19th, and DQXI S on the 27th. I think shadow dropping a huge time commitment like that in the most stacked month of the year is not very conducive to instant purchasing, unfortunately.

But I will probably get to it either in December or in early 2020. Might even have a small price drop by then. €50 is a lot of money (though I'm not saying it's expensive).

Yeah I can't play it yet either (due to DQXIS looming) but I've been begging for it for a year now so I felt the need to buy it on day one. Otherwise I'd feel a bit like a hypocrite haha

And when I make the comparison with Mario + Rabbids I'm talking about the flow of combat, rather than the game structure. I've only played the first one so far but the combat system is basically the star of the game. It's turn based and tactical like Mario+Rabbids, in that you need to concentrate on positioning and moving your characters to the best spots, and then figuring out how best to use everyone's skills and spells together in a way that maximizes the effectiveness of all of them. Like, using a fire spell while another person uses a water spell won't accomplish anything. You also have to worry about/capitalize on the immediate environment (like in M+R too), like destructible objects, terrain that causes certain effects that can be triggered (like oil spills), fog/rain/snow plays a huge role, things like that.

To me Mario + Rabbids felt like a much more simplified and streamlined version of Divinity OS combat. Divinity gives you about 5,000 different ways to accomplish anything at any time, so it may seem a bit daunting at first but it's a hell of a lot of fun to experiment with all the systems once you've played with them a bit.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol imagine buying a premium priced new console for SNES games you don't own and Devil May Cry 2. And a bunch of shit that has in the bargain bin for years on other machines.
yeah that's all there is in that collage, SNES games and DMC 2.
but looking at your posts, it's not really even worth arguing with you.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like we have a very good idea of Q1 2020 games now, and major games after that can be announced at TGA 2019 and the february 2020 direct.
Yeah I know they will be, I'm not one to go to the mindset of "oh they didn't show it here, they have no games!"

I'm just saying with the way they've handled the past two directs, this ending was definitely a bit deflated in comparison.

If we're talking about them wanting to show games closer to release, let's not forget that the opener and closer of last year's September Direct still aren't out yet lol. So I think it's fair for people to have expected an announcement of something that's a bit farther out.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017

Yeah, I thought we we're packed before the Direct, now I think we're drowning with the amount of games! Sure there's lot's of ports (still laughing my ass off at that standalone port of DMC 2 freaking Capcom) but they are more than perfect to fill the gaps while we wait for the heavy titles, which was my major complain during the Wii U era. Having to wait 3, 4, sometimes even 6 months between each first party title while having literally nothing to play in the meantime because there was zero 3rd party support and little amount of worthy indie games. Now it's totally the opposite, having even freaking Witcher 3 I mean come on! I

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I know they will be, I'm not one to go to the mindset of "oh they didn't show it here, they have no games!"

I'm just saying with the way they've handled the past two directs, this ending was definitely a bit deflated in comparison.

If we're talking about them wanting to show games closer to release, let's not forget that the opener and closer of last year's September Direct still aren't out yet lol. So I think it's fair for people to have expected an announcement of something that's a bit farther out.
you have a valid point. the past few directs have really raised expectations to unrealistic levels. hopefully this one lowered the expectations a bit. at the end of the day, this is one single publisher. there's only so much you can expect.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I mean we basically know nothing about their 2020 so far, so they could've announced that.

And yes it was great, I'm just trying to explain why many may have been disappointed when the two "one more things" of the last Direct were Astral Chain/LA for February and Banjo/BotW2 at E3.

Here they ended it with a 5 minute trailer showing nothing new for AC, and a (great looking, yes) remaster.
Yes but you know how fast that fills up. Think about this time last year. We barely knew much of anything for 2019 first or third party-related. Only Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon were confirmed for 2019, and even Yoshi didn't have a solid release date at the time. We didn't know about Astral Chain, Links Awakening Remake, Mario Maker 2, Tetris 99. Nevermind all the third party announcements we got.

In the same vein as people calling December-March a "drought", why? especially since we've been here before?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
you have a valid point. the past few directs have really raised expectations to unrealistic levels. hopefully this one lowered the expectations a bit. at the end of the day, this is one single publisher. there's only so much you can expect.
Yeah, although my expectations for them in 2020 haven't lowered.

We have so many devs unaccounted for and so many games not dated that I think it'll still be packed. I believe they actually have multiple games they could've easily shown but for some reason abstained from doing so.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Looking at that pic, here is my must have list:

Must-have, day 0
-
Xenoblade Chronicles DE
-Sword and Shield
-Luigi's Mansion 3
-Zelda Link's Awakening
-TMS FE Encore

DQXI already played it but I'm really interested in 2D mode so I'll buy it later. Little Town Hero I'll wait for reviews, same as Daemon x Machina. The Outer Worlds and Trials of Mana I'm getting them on PC.

Edit: Actually, if ToM gets a physical release I'm 100% getting it on Switch

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, although my expectations for them in 2020 haven't lowered.

We have so many devs unaccounted for and so many games not dated that I think it'll still be packed. I believe they actually have multiple games they could've easily shown but for some reason abstained from doing so.
give me smt 5 and bayo 3 in 2020 and i'll be fine.
i think they abstained because there's just SO much coming this year (80% of it in september), i think they'd rather the online buzz and talk be around these games than announcing a big 2020 megaton to steal their thunder.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah I can't play it yet either (due to DQXIS looming) but I've been begging for it for a year now so I felt the need to buy it on day one. Otherwise I'd feel a bit like a hypocrite haha

And when I make the comparison with Mario + Rabbids I'm talking about the flow of combat, rather than the game structure. I've only played the first one so far but the combat system is basically the star of the game. It's turn based and tactical like Mario+Rabbids, in that you need to concentrate on positioning and moving your characters to the best spots, and then figuring out how best to use everyone's skills and spells together in a way that maximizes the effectiveness of all of them. Like, using a fire spell while another person uses a water spell won't accomplish anything. You also have to worry about/capitalize on the immediate environment (like in M+R too), like destructible objects, terrain that causes certain effects that can be triggered (like oil spills), fog/rain/snow plays a huge role, things like that.

To me Mario + Rabbids felt like a much more simplified and streamlined version of Divinity OS combat. Divinity gives you about 5,000 different ways to accomplish anything at any time, so it may seem a bit daunting at first but it's a hell of a lot of fun to experiment with all the systems once you've played with them a bit.
Alright, that's sounds like fun, thanks for the explanation! Definitely am going to give it a shot at some point.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
from that pic, i'm interested in:

pokemon shield
xenoblade DE
luigi's mansion 3
link's awakening
TMS encore
SNES games, gonna replay a few of them and i hope we get some nice surprised in the future
smash ultimate which i already play
tetris 99 which i already play
DQXI S
trials of mana remake
return of the obra dinn
deadly premonition (waiting for a patch to get it, heavy twin peaks influence makes it a must-play for me)
deadly premonition 2
doom 64
ni no kuni 1

FYI he's a known troll from the old site.
oh, makes sense.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
from that pic, i'm interested in:

pokemon shield
xenoblade DE
luigi's mansion 3
link's awakening
TMS encore
SNES games, gonna replay a few of them and i hope we get some nice surprised in the future
smash ultimate which i already play
tetris 99 which i already play
DQXI S
trials of mana remake
return of the obra dinn
deadly premonition (waiting for a patch to get it, heavy twin peaks influence makes it a must-play for me)
deadly premonition 2
doom 64
ni no kuni 1

oh, makes sense.

You should look into Divinity OS2 too. It's being overlooked a lot for whatever reason.

Not to add to the woes of your wallet.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately

For 2020 we already know about Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Xenoblade, No More Heroes 3 and Animal Crossing and there are still 120 days to end 2019

Plus. they LITERALLY SAID that the Direct was gonna focus on 2019 games.

Sorry but some people really want to be disappointed and to concern troll (not talking about you particularly).

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda, Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon look so damn good! Day one for all three!

But they were about the only games that interested me during the direct. Maaayybe Xenoblade since I haven't played it but I don't like big open RPGs on Switch since I use mine almost exclusively as a handheld. I prefer turn-based RPGs and such. I still think if was a good direct even if the particular content didn't personally wow me much.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Luigi's Mansion 3 does indeed look gorgeous. But, it's so bright compared to both the previous games, kinda zaps any sort of spookiness from the game. The new pirate themed restaurant was practically was super bright. Would have preferred it be much darker, with pirate ghosts(or ghost pirates?). Hope they're just showing the area off after it's been cleared. Kinda defeats the purpose of a flashlight if it's already prelit.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
We'll say but I think they wanted to focus on Astral Chain so Bayonetta might already be in a showable state.
so are you thinking TGAs, and/or early 2020 direct? and then a quick turn around to release under 4-5 months?
That'd be surprising for a game they announced years ago. Even given the AsCh situation The earliest it comes to me is like september.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I should comment on some of the games on the graphic too:

Divinity Original Sin 2: Already got it and man, this game has some slick combat. JRPG's should consider adopting it.
Deadly Premonition: Already got it and man, the facial animations this game has look straight out of horror movie. But it wasn't intended to be so...
Little Town Hero: Interesting idea but it looks like a very limiting game and I don't like those experiences.
The Outer Worlds: This could be my GoTY. Looks delicious, very colorful for a shlooter. I wanna see the Switch port ASAP.
Doom 64: I'm torn. I want this game but I also remember how hard it was and I had failed to beat even the half of the game when ı was a teenager.
AC Rebel Collection: Best AC game to date, would love to finish for a second time on the go. This time I'll defeat the legendary ships. Plus I never played Rogue.
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Hell yes! I spent hours on this game on GameCube. It had the one of the best couch deathmatch mode ever, you can even play it solo against AI bots. It was so fun blasting everyone with Wookiee bowcaster. MP mode won't be in this one but SP is still enough for me.
Return of the Obra Dinn: Pope's take on Mary Celeste. I'd buy anything Pope makes, so I'll preload the moment it's available.
Grid Autosport: Realistic racers is one of the things Switch lacks (actually whole generation lacks) so I'm buying this. The screens look much better than this game running on my iPhone X, I hope it plays better too.
Vampyr: Looks very interesting. Open world game where you play as an ugly vampire. I'm getting this. I should support game devs of my country anyway.
DMC2: Not getting this but if this releasing this month mean the third is coming next month, I'll be there day one.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
What do people think about Little Town Hero? When it was first announced, I thought it would be some kind of cool small action/adventure type game but what they showed was so boring to me that I literally lost all interest within seconds. Looked so slow and boring.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What do people think about Little Town Hero? When it was first announced, I thought it would be some kind of cool small action/adventure type game but what they showed was so boring to me that I literally lost all interest within seconds. Looked so slow and boring.

If it weren't for Toby Fox being name-dropped I would have had zero interest in it

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, after 2018 Sept direct, I said H1 2019 probably won't have much.
People said
-There's still a lot time to annouce games.
-Daemon X could be February (this was a popular thought heh)
-TGAs could announce a February or March/April game, Metroid Prime trilogy
-Town could be announced via Twtiter for early 2019
January Direct could announce 1st party games with a quick turnaround, Pikmin 3

all of that was possible. But didn't really happen.
So until there's a indication that H1 is getting X or Y game, I won't assign dates or games.
I won't slot NMH3 or Xenoblade into H1 since their trailers didn't.

We're not even guaranteed a January direct necessarily

looks about a 7, which can be fun, or can not be.
Basically gonna wait for impressions/reviews.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Truly don't understand the negativity surrounding the Direct. Was it a showstopper? No... but fuck, September alone is already a packed month for games. How many more do we need!?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I should comment on some of the games on the graphic too:

Divinity Original Sin 2: Already got it and man, this game has some slick combat. JRPG's should consider adopting it.

I really think it's my favorite RPG combat system ever. Barely edging out Baten Kaitos.

It's really a shame that so many people here seem to be overlooking it...

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Hm... based on that graphic:

Pokémon
Luigi's Mansion
Link's Awakening
Dragon Quest XI (will try demo first)
Little Town Hero
Return of the Obra Dinn (was hoping for this)
And maybe Divinity Original Sin 2 (heard a lot of good things, this port surprised me)

6 - 7 games over 3 - 4 months is a lot. Something's gonna give. I haven't even beaten Three Houses yet.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Truly don't understand the negativity surrounding the Direct. Was it a showstopper? No... but fuck, September alone is already a packed month for games. How many more do we need!?

i think maybe that's the issue? a lot of stuff featured is stuff that we've known about basically all year and is releasing soon, and so people were expecting more announcements, and a lot of the new stuff that was announced was like... ports and remakes and whatever we'd call kirby monster hunter because apparently it's a pseudo-sequel-slash-port of a 3DS eshop title.

i'm personally very happy with xenoblade de and deadly premonition 2's announcements, although i wish there had been smt5 news and that the animal crossing video had contained, like, new information instead of just summarizing the treehouse presentation

Status
Not open for further replies.