• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Nah, the games on switch always sell better regardless of the price discrepancy. I really don't think anyone that's been waiting around for the past 7 years for a new Animal Crossing game will worry about the extra $20.

So far, the only 'portable' series on the Switch are Let's Go and Fire Emblem. In both of those cases while they did well oversees, their slightly behind in Japan, especially Let's Go.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
how can anyone be disappointed by this? i swear some of yall just straight up don't like video games

edyuwouwwaa-q-kr7jo1.jpeg
Look I'm glad for people who haven't played any of those games on other platforms, and there are some great games in there, but for the folks who are not Switch only gamers(of which there are many) this is not an exciting list.

I buy Nintendo consoles for exclusive 1st/3rd party content, and in the case of the of the Switch the odd game that doesn't really lose anything performance wise to other machines where portability is a big plus. The list above is largely old ports, so it's hard for me to be interested. Additionally a lot of what was shown on the first party side was previously announced games, some of which I have little interest in like Animal Crossing. Finally Wii U ports don't do much for a lot of us who just played these games a couple years ago in the WiiU. Remasters of older games like LA or XB era are certainly more exciting, but fewer and far between so far on the Switch. The dearth of Japanese support is also quite concerning as we near year 3 of the device being on the market, but I remain hopeful that TGS will see some movement in that regard.

I think it's fair to say there are probably quite a few folks who fall into the same category I do, based on how people have reacted.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
It had Return of the Obra Dinn, so it's an 11/10 for me. I've been waiting to be able to play that game, thrilled that it's being released in Fall '19. Would love if it got a physical version...

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The dearth of Japanese support is also quite concerning as we near year 3 of the device being on the market, but I remain hopeful that TGS will see some movement in that regard.

Japanese support certainly has been ramping up. Remember JP devs were still putting out games on the 3DS during the first year the Switch was out and games take on average 3 years minimum to make.

Give them some time. The Switch isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I'd say it's probably got 7 years in it before it gets replaced.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious, why do they scare you?
hm... i think they just seem daunting too me cuz i'm not well versed in the genre and RPGs can be complex sometimes. with JRPGs i kinda know what i'm doing. perhaps because western RPGs give you way more freedom and that makes me a bit hesitant. i like freedom but not too much freedom cuz then i spend too much time just messing around.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
so are you thinking TGAs, and/or early 2020 direct? and then a quick turn around to release under 4-5 months?
That'd be surprising for a game they announced years ago. Even given the AsCh situation The earliest it comes to me is like september.
Not that I am at all wedded to the idea of Bayo 3 releasing in H1 2020, but why would it having been announced early make a short re-reveal to release gap unlikely? If anything, I would think they would want to have that short time gap there once they finally talk about it again.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese support certainly has been ramping up. Remember JP devs were still putting out games on the 3DS during the first year the Switch was out and games take on average 3 years minimum to make.

Give them some time. The Switch isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I'd say it's probably got 7 years in it before it gets replaced.
We'll see. I mean in the current era it's obviously not viable to see a lot of exclusives or new IP aimed squarely at the Switch, but there's certainly plenty if room for Nintendo to fund stuff like DP2(maybe a better IP next time) to help fill out the lineup if J-devs are more focused on multiplat and the western audience. I'm forever bummed that Nintendo didn't buy some of those small studios like Cing that heavily supported them during the DS era. Now it seems like they are stuck with trying to work with the big name companies as a lot of the smaller studios have closed down over the years, and the country itself is suffering from a labor shortage.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
hm... i think they just seem daunting too me cuz i'm not well versed in the genre and RPGs can be complex sometimes. with JRPGs i kinda know what i'm doing. perhaps because western RPGs give you way more freedom and that makes me a bit hesitant. i like freedom but not too much freedom cuz then i spend too much time just messing around.
Alright, fair enough. Western true rpgs can indeed get quite complicated. I threw myself into the deep at age 12 by playing Dragon Age Origins and Witcher 1, so WRPGS don't really come across as intimidating to me.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Hmmm yeah then I'm not sure Divinity would be for you. Messing around was one of my favorite things to do in the first one. It was kinda like BotW in terms of environmental interactions, so it was really fun to mess with all of those systems together.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why it's so hard for people to understand that this direct was disappointing to some? I thought it was a fine direct. It was fine and nothing more. People buy Nintendo's system for Nintendo games and they want to see brand new bigger retail Nintendo titles.

It's 2 STRAIGHT Directs and Nintendo only announced like 1 or 2 new retail first party titles. It's compounded by the last Direct only having BotW 2. September 2018 they announced Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing. That's what people were looking for. Even just one type of title on the level of Luigi's Mansion 3. February had Links Awakening, but 2 new games in Super Mario Maker 2 and Astral Chain.

You want a well rounded Direct. Third party games are great. That is part of the formula, but you want to see a couple of new first party titles, because that's first and foremost what people buy a Nintendo system for. We got a couple of ports. Yes, we know games are coming now. That's not the point. Nintendo ended on a remaster/remake. I love Xenoblade and it's a day 1 purchase, but I can understand the disappointment ending in that. Just showing a Pikmin 4 or a new DK or a Paper Mario or a 2D Metroid, etc. would've made people enjoy this Direct a lot more. It's understandable why there's disappointment coming off of the past 3 Directs.

Nintendo set the standards a little higher for first party announcements and just announced some Kirby eshop game as their only new title (first party). BotW 2 made E3's Direct that great. If there was no BotW 2 people would be disappointed in Nintendo's E3 Direct too. One game can make a whole direct.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I am at all wedded to the idea of Bayo 3 releasing in H1 2020, but why would it having been announced early make a short re-reveal to release gap unlikely? If anything, I would think they would want to have that short time gap there once they finally talk about it again.
I can't think of when that's happened for 1st party games.
for a game to be announced edit: with no Footage. then radio silent for a year+. Then a huge gameplay blowout suddently and release in 4 months?

It hasn't happened on switch at least. The games that disappeared for a while (Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Animal Crossing) were reintroduced slowly, and got a full marketing cycle of being in multiple directs, demos, etc, before their release.
I don't think Bayo (or MP4 for that matter) would be any different.

Last edited:

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I can certainly understand there being disappointment after the last few Directs - I think the thing is I got over it pretty quickly because there's so much imminent and existing software I want to play.

I think we're guaranteed a better Direct January/February time for one simple reason - right now Nintendo's next fiscal year is looking pretty poorly-defined. They won't want to go into investor meetings in January and April without having confirmed more for the next fiscal year. After March (the end of this fiscal year), Nintendo's software line-up is:

- Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition - 2020
- Bayonetta 3 - TBC
- Metroid Prime 4 - TBC
- The Legend of Zelda (working title) - TBC

They're going to need to update that for their investors as the new fiscal year approaches. I'm not expecting a blow-out, but I think we're going to see a couple more smaller titles confirmed for the first half (and I'd guess Pikmin 3 DX is pretty likely). My advice to the disappointed would be enjoy the here and now and hope for some bigger announcements in a few months.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I think people will be disappointed with whichever route Nintendo takes with third-party support. If they receive big third-party titles (Doom, for example) day and date with other consoles like folks in here are asking for... most people will still opt to buy those games for those other consoles/PC and cite inferior performance on Switch as their reasoning. At least with the late port strategy that Nintendo has going on now they can theoretically curate a library of tried-and-true quality classics, making the Switch the go-to place for a lot of different types of games outside of the modern AAA space.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if Emily or other insiders knew about Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition?

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think a 3D DK would make my whole year tbh.

3D World as a closer, even if it's a port, would have sealed the deal for this direct. Usually there's something new in a direct that I'm interested in. I'm really only interested in the already announced titles releasing over the next several weeks. Wouldnt have an issue with the direct so much if I didn't know it's gonna be slim pickin's well into spring time, after November.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Wave Race is still the biggest mystery to me. Why would Takahashi say anything about it at all if it wasn't a thing?

I actually wonder if that was a mistranslation or something.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
if talking about the future, there's some notable franchises I personally feel confident at least be announced in 2020 or come out in 2020

2D Metroid or MPT
Paper Mario
M&L
Pokken
Kirby
Odyssey 2
Octopath 2 (unless Braveley gets a sequel or something)
Mario Rabbids sequel
Game from Mario Kart team

then my maybes:
Next DK
Hyrule Warriors 2
Pikmin 4 cause who knows
W101 port or W102

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I was absolutely confident we'd see Metroid in some capacity this year, and maybe we still will, but here we are, with some other awesome games, finishing off 2019.

I'll be okay. Only understanding tears.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe there's still one more direct this year and Nintendo are waiting for their autumn games to release before shifting the focus onto newer stuff?

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Maybe there's still one more direct this year and Nintendo are waiting for their autumn games to release before shifting the focus onto newer stuff?

I seriously doubt it. Game Awards will be the last time Nintendo announces anything major for 2020 during this year. January will be the next time we get a general direct at the earliest.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I seriously doubt it. Game Awards will be the last time Nintendo announces anything major for 2020 during this year. January will be the next time we get a general direct at the earliest.

Nintendo have done directs in November on more than one occasion, sometimes game specific and sometimes general. If Terry is coming to Smash in November then they'd definitely put something out just before he drops and it might be a good excuse to have a direct, since we don't know what their plans are for sure. Assuming it has to be January only works if we know for sure nothing else is coming in November to February.

TGA I think would just be one major trailer, possibly BOTW2 or Metroid if they have something to show. I doubt the latter but they revealed Bayonetta and that's still MIA.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like DK is criminally under represented as a franchise. It should be getting the star treatment and regular release like Zelda and Mario.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think people will be disappointed with whichever route Nintendo takes with third-party support. If they receive big third-party titles (Doom, for example) day and date with other consoles like folks in here are asking for... most people will still opt to buy those games for those other consoles/PC and cite inferior performance on Switch as their reasoning. At least with the late port strategy that Nintendo has going on now they can theoretically curate a library of tried-and-true quality classics, making the Switch the go-to place for a lot of different types of games outside of the modern AAA space.
Switch has actually shown that there is a sizable market for those games on Switch. Sure, there will be a lot of people who prefer other systems for those games, but enough people have been buying them on Switch so far.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
If Terry is coming to Smash in November then they'd definitely put something out just before he drops
Nintendo has shown not to be afraid to simply anniunce this through Twitter, not everything needs a Direct.

We'll probably get something at TGA, but other than that probably not.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like DK is criminally under represented as a franchise. It should be getting the star treatment and regular release like Zelda and Mario.
If only Nintendo agreed with us. Come on man I want 3D DK! They have no dedicated team though at EPD. I wished they treated it like those other series. Retro will hopefully get back to it after MP4.

If Retro could take 2D Metroid to 3D, then they can do the same thing with DK (better than DK64).

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo has shown not to be afraid to simply anniunce this through Twitter, not everything needs a Direct.

We'll probably get something at TGA, but other than that probably not.

It could be a Twitter direct, sure, I just mean that since they're going to be putting something out then they might plan on doing more reveals since they're already getting eyes on them for Smash. That's all I meant.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
I don't think we'll have any other Direct this year but I do agree that it looks like Nintendo is waiting for all these fall games to release before kicking off the 2020 campaign. Even Animal Crossing was simply a recap of all shown at E3, they are not going full into it yet. Take in mind that in February they announced three major games for this year: SM2, Astral Chain and Link's Awakening. I think they'll follow the same schedule now.

E3 2018:
- Fire Emblem Three Houses full unveiling for 2019 after being announced previously as a 2018 game

September 2018 Direct:
- Luigi's Mansion 3 for 2019
- Animal Crossing announcement for 2019

TGA:
- MUA3

February Direct:
- Super Mario Maker 2
- Astral Chain
- Links Awakening

While now it's:

E3 2019:
- Animal Crossing unveiling for 2020 after being announced previously as a 2019 game

September 2019 Direct:
- Xenoblade Chronicles for 2020

TGA:
- ????

February Direct:
- ????

I think by January/February we'll know most of the 2020 line-up. Big question is Pokémon but I don't think we'll see any RPG next year.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo won't have anymore Directs until January. This is how they operate now. They'll keep the focus for the rest of the year squarely on 2019. Game Awards will of course have to show 2020 games due to it being December already.

I think Nintendo will go back to a January and March/April 2020 Directs. This year they only did February and I think that's because the September 2018 Direct announced a couple of brand new 2019 games in Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing.

They didn't announce any new 2020 first party games. So I'm thinking since they should have a lot of first party games coming next year, they'll do a January and March/April Direct.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
a general direct? nah.
There will be a game announced at TGAs, (and also hopefully Zelda shown. I don't want to get tooo guaranteed that Zelda will show up. Cause if it doesn't show at the TGAs, ERA will be a spiraling mess for days. I can picture it and I'm sure everyone can.)

And then a January or Feb direct.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we'll have any other Direct this year but I do agree that it looks like Nintendo is waiting for all these fall games to release before kicking off the 2020 campaign. Even Animal Crossing was simply a recap of all shown at E3, they are not going full into it yet. Take in mind that in February they announced three major games for this year: SM2, Astral Chain and Link's Awakening. I think they'll follow the same schedule now.

E3 2018:
- Fire Emblem Three Houses full unveiling for 2019 after being announced previously as a 2018 game

September 2018 Direct:
- Luigi's Mansion 3 for 2019
- Animal Crossing announcement for 2019

TGA:
- MUA3

February Direct:
- Super Mario Maker 2
- Astral Chain
- Links Awakening

While now it's:

E3 2019:
- Animal Crossing unveiling for 2020 after being announced previously as a 2019 game

September 2019 Direct:
- Xenoblade Chronicles for 2020

TGA:
- ????

February Direct:
- ????

I think by January/February we'll know most of the 2020 line-up. Big question is Pokémon but I don't think we'll see any RPG next year.
hard to say if next year is Pokemon's off year.

I thought so.
But thinking about it lately, I could see a third version next year again.
I think 2021 will be the off year. (unless they continue Let's Go....)

Weird for one of nintendo's biggest franchises to be in limbo like this. You could even bring up Kirby treatment before getting to Zelda and Mario treatment
We don't even know which company is/would be working on it.

not a 1:1 comparison, but MP4 got announced wayy early in development.
When development wasn't going well, it got a full video with Takahashi apologizing, and giving details of what happened and who was taking over.

Whereas there's a mystery for DK. Heck, we could see DK next year or not see DK until like Next gen if only Retro can work on it
we won't know until we know unfortunately.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can certainly understand there being disappointment after the last few Directs - I think the thing is I got over it pretty quickly because there's so much imminent and existing software I want to play.

I think we're guaranteed a better Direct January/February time for one simple reason - right now Nintendo's next fiscal year is looking pretty poorly-defined. They won't want to go into investor meetings in January and April without having confirmed more for the next fiscal year. After March (the end of this fiscal year), Nintendo's software line-up is:

- Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition - 2020
- Bayonetta 3 - TBC
- Metroid Prime 4 - TBC
- The Legend of Zelda (working title) - TBC

They're going to need to update that for their investors as the new fiscal year approaches. I'm not expecting a blow-out, but I think we're going to see a couple more smaller titles confirmed for the first half (and I'd guess Pikmin 3 DX is pretty likely). My advice to the disappointed would be enjoy the here and now and hope for some bigger announcements in a few months.
100% the January/February direct will announce multiple Nintendo first party retail games. They have no choice. They're in 2020. That's the direct many people will be very happy for.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
100% the January/February direct will announce multiple Nintendo first party retail games. They have no choice. They're in 2020. That's the direct many people will be very happy for.
Calling it now: January/February Direct with Xenoblade focus just like they did this year with Fire Emblem

- Fire Emblem focus / Xenoblade focus
- Mario Maker 2 announcement / EPD game announcement
- Link's Awakening announcement / EPD game announcement
- Astral Chain announcement / Bayonetta 3 unveiling

Keep Zelda for TGA

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Are they really going to put that much focus on a Xenoblade remaster? (Probably a stupid question considering they just ended a general Direct with an announcement of said game lol.)

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny reading some of these posts because I think the last 3 Directs are among the best ever for Nintendo. The streak is great, with focus on major first party releases for this year and a robust third party support.

Nintendo is giving the thirds the love they deserve, and that's awesome for a company that is known for its inability to relate to them.

I actually can't remember the last time I thought a Direct was straight up bad (or disappointing). Maybe the mini one, on January of last year?

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Are they really going to put that much focus on a Xenoblade remaster? (Probably a stupid question considering they just ended a general Direct with an announcement of said game lol.)
I don't think that it will need long explanations like Fire Emblem actually. We will just get only other trailers, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Calling it now: January/February Direct with Xenoblade focus just like they did this year with Fire Emblem

- Fire Emblem focus / Xenoblade focus
- Mario Maker 2 announcement / EPD game announcement
- Link's Awakening announcement / EPD game announcement
- Astral Chain announcement / Bayonetta 3 unveiling

Keep Zelda for TGA
Hmm. Idk if they will put an emphasis like that on Xenoblade Chronicles since it's a remaster. I could see a 2-3 segment just discussing cut content.

Honestly let's say they go with a January Direct and April Direct.

January Direct

-Mario Golf
-Pikmin 3 Deluxe
-Bayonetta 3 (if not shown at Game Awards)
-2D Metroid

April Direct
-Paper Mario
-Odyssey 2
-Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

E3
-Super Mario Party 2
-??

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
According to me, here is the 2020 line-up in no particular order :

- Tokyo Mirage Session #FE encore
- Animal Crossing
- Bayonetta 3
- Xenoblade Chronicles HD
- Paper Mario
- Pikmin 3
- WarioWare
- Zelda BotW2 (might slip into Q1 2021)
- Super Mario Odyssey 2
- new IP
- 2D Metroid
- Kirby
- Zelda port

+ published titles like Bravely Default 3...

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pikmin 4 is basically out of the cards for 2020. Looking like a 2021 game and same thing with Monolith's new IP. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is 2020. Idk when that game is coming. Early 2020 or second half 2020?

Would Monolith announce a new game after Xenoblade Chronicles DE releases? That's my guess so we probably won't get any new announcements from them until September 2020 Direct or even early 2021.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my guess for the 2020 lineup (1st party and exclusive 3rd party games):

- tokyo mirage sessions
- xenoblade definitive edition
- breath of the wild 2
- bayonetta 3
- shin megami tensei 5
- mario+rabbids 2
- no more heroes 3
- deadly premonition 2
- pikmin 3
- 2D metroid developed by mercury steam
- new paper mario
- super mario party 2 and/or mario golf (the one that doesn't happen will be 2021)
- 3D world port
- animal crossing
- detective pikachu (could be 2021)
- dragon quest 8 HD definitive edition

edit:
- wonderful 101

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my guess for the 2020 lineup (1st party and exclusive 3rd party games):

- tokyo mirage sessions
- xenoblade definitive edition
- breath of the wild 2
- bayonetta 3
- shin megami tensei 5
- mario+rabbids 2
- no more heroes 3
- deadly premonition 2
- pikmin 3
- 2D metroid developed by mercury steam
- new paper mario
- super mario party 2 and/or mario golf (the one that doesn't happen will be 2021)
- 3D world port
- animal crossing
- detective pikachu (could be 2021)
- dragon quest 8 HD definitive edition
You don't think the Mario Kart team will have something? It'll be 3 years since ARMS and MK8DX.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
You don't think the Mario Kart team will have something? It'll be 3 years since ARMS and MK8DX.
Said it before, will say it again: It is my belief that the next MK will get the full smash treatment. They tested the waters with 8 dlc to great enthusiasm by the fans. They also need the next MK on the Switch to be different enough from 8DX for people to want to own both.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, where was Panzer Dragoon, and Killer Queen Black??

According to me, here is the 2020 line-up in no particular order :

- Tokyo Mirage Session #FE encore
- Animal Crossing
- Bayonetta 3
- Xenoblade Chronicles HD
- Paper Mario
- Pikmin 3
- WarioWare
- Zelda BotW2 (might slip into Q1 2021)
- Super Mario Odyssey 2
- new IP
- 2D Metroid
- Kirby
- Zelda port

+ published titles like Bravely Default 3...
I think I agree with all of these.

I would add Mario + Rabbids (or other crossover from that team)
I also feel like we're going to get a Pokken, Hyrule W, and/or W101 port or sequel announcement. 1 or all 3. I just don't know if they will come out in 2020. I think at least one can.

edit:
would also add some kinda Arzest game. (unless they're helping with M&L 2021)
Vanpool helped with Super Kirby Clash so they're off the hook so to speak.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I think I agree with all of these.

I would add Mario + Rabbids (or other crossover from that team)
I also feel like we're going to get a Pokken, Hyrule W, and/or W101 port or sequel announcement. 1 or all 3. I just don't know if they will come out in 2020. I think at least one can.
Oh yeah, talking only 1st party here.

I also forgot Detective Pikachu. Pokken 2 is a good guess too.

Status
Not open for further replies.