• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017

I think people were being a bit premature when they were declaring doom for Retro back in January when it was announced that they were starting Prime 4.

Today is the right time to start worrying about what they've spent the last five and a half years doing with nothing to show for it.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I am happy with what Nintendo showed. There was no need to spend most of the time on one game and the pace never slowed down. I am more excited for Luigi's Mansion 3 and Link's Awakening now and I am very happy to see Mana games confirmed.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I really appreciate when people start their posts with "I don't like BOTW". It helps me know that I can just stop reading right there at the beginning.
I did like BotW, a lot actually, or else I wouldn't have spent more than 100 hours playing it (I can show you my Log Activity if necessary), but I'm not looking forward to another longass Zelda game, with no focused story, weapon durability, lack of enemy and dungeons variety and a mute protagonist. Of course I'm not acting like I'm mad or as if those were a given already, but this being a BotW sequel, it's natural to expect its issues to carry over as well. I certainly hope they don't and will be on the lookout for new info, whenever it comes. Playable Zelda would be a great surprise if it happens.

Oct 25, 2017
Top-tier showing. One of Nintendo's best.

There is so much to digest, I can't address half of what jumped out at me.

• DQ Hero — As I always say about Smash, even when it's not a character that means anything to me, the attention and care to their design is reliably there. And so it is with the full range of DQ alts and the apparent RPG systems in the move set.

• Luigi's Mansion 3 — Looks considerably better than I expected. I like the expanded move set, and while clone puzzles are a familiar Nintendo trope by now, they're a good fit for this series and a reassuring sign that they're pushing what they can do about it mechanically. The hotel structure is the main question for me now, as I hope it's not too linear an affair, but this showing got me off the fence and I'm now willing to discover it for myself.

• Link's Awakening — With a dungeon maker! I'm not expecting it to be terribly versatile and it isn't clear to me what content sharing will be like, so maybe it won't amount to much, but it's on the high end of outcomes when it comes to added content in this remake.

• The Witcher 3 — Glad it's here, glad it's complete. Need to hear about performance and the cartridge/download situation before I jump in, especially as I couldn't get into the earlier games.

• Astral Chain — Need to see more at Treehouse. I was interested from the start due to the look and the PG pedigree, but I don't think this trailer moved the ball that far beyond what we already knew, apart from showing off slightly more of the core mechanical concept.

• Empire of Sin — This Romero/Paradox gangster management game was the biggest thing that stuck out at me from the briefer vignettes. Very much up my alley.

• Animal Crossing: New Horizons — Path painting and a crafting/management layer are very much where I wanted AC to go, and I think this is footage worth looking over again for the particulars. AC could have perfectly gotten away with playing it safe, but I'm glad they're taking some chances. The delay was the worst news of the show, as AC is one series where the more time you get to spend on a game and the earlier it comes out on a platform, the better—but dumping Mario Maker, FE, and AC all in one year was going to be the end of me anyway. Now it might actually be possible for me to play anything else this fall.

• Banjo-Kazooie — I wasn't even one of the people asking for Banjo, but this was the best conceivable cinematic. The best.

• BotW 2 — After BotW, a Majora-like sequel that inherited BotW's core systems and took them into a unique, experimental context is exactly where I wanted 3D Zelda to go. We've only seen the setting, but I think that's the message Nintendo is sending us: that we're in for a Majora analogue. A heart-stopping finale; all the way to the top of my list.

Last edited:

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
That was a great direct. They showed lots and lots of gameplay and BotW2.... Wow a direct sequel it seems. I coudn't be happier.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like AC but this deserted island setting is inspired. Looking forward to this entry now.

LM3 and Link's Awakening looked absolutely stunning. Especially the latter. NMH3 was a superb surprise. As was CONTRA! Good stuff all around.

I was hoping for a MP tease. Or even the Trilogy announcement 😔

Advc

Nov 3, 2017

Bayo 3 should be fine. Platinum and Nintendo right now are giving spotlight to their brand new IP Astral Chain and build hype for it. Once it comes out I'm pretty sure the spotlights would be set back on Bayo 3. Maybe we would get an actual first look/world premiere thing on TGA 2019 with our pal Geoff!

And with Retro Studios... yes they're fucking dead.

Deckerd

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was I wronh to expect news about switch hardware updates? Maybe I missed something haven't had a chance to read everything.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it. Some very nice gameplay, titles that excite me, fun announcements and that sequel. Solid presentation.

Error_404

Nov 12, 2017
The Banjo-Kazooi reveal was perfect, almost wish there was a second reveal to build off of it, like a DKC/Banjo Kazooi crossover game or something like that

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
A little something for everyone in this Direct, though some kind of puzzle game would've been cool too.

Anyway, I find character to be suuuuuper cheesy and a waste of time at these types of things, but the Banjo one was clever.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
A few surprises, the best Smash reveal, BOTW 2, and actual real gameplay for games coming THIS YEAR. They not only won E3 but reminded everyone how to actually do these things.

I am winded from that Direct. That was amazing. E3 is redeemed.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Amazing direct. Salty people in the Witcher 3 announce thread is the worst of it but given cdprojectred's record very unlikely they'd let a bad port out . The perform like ass crowd will likely slink away when the game releaees
Those people just have to go through their cycle.
"That series will never come to the Switch! It can't handle it!"
"OK, so the series is coming, but it will only be a spinoff!"
"OK, so it's not a spinoff, but it will be totally unplayable!"
"OK, so it's playable, but it will look like total dogshit!"
"OK, so it doesn't look like total dogshit, but it doesn't look as good as on [console of choice] so it shouldn't have been made in the first place!"

I fucking hate graphics gatekeeping.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Amazing direct. Salty people in the Witcher 3 announce thread is the worst of it but given cdprojectred's record very unlikely they'd let a bad port out . The perform like ass crowd will likely slink away when the game releaees

Why even care? There are so many ways to play Witcher that will satisfy people who need the best graphics but no way to really play it easily on the go. This satisfies a completely different requirement. If you need gorgeous Witcher 3 then you have it.

If you want Witcher 3 on the go, now you have that.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me was pretty dissapointing, Zelda and luigi obviously look good, but outside of that. WHERE THE FECK IS MY METROID. Pretty obvious the trilogy rumour was a load of crap. SIGH

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
literally the greatest direct of all time

banjo in smash is a twilight princess 2004/snake in brawl 2006 level megaton for me

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Direct format is the best format no contest. Game after game, gameplay after gameplay, no filler (or so little filler it's almost non-existent.)

And the Bowser intro was cute!

APP

Dec 1, 2018
DQ 11s
BotW 2
Fire Emblem
Animal Crossing
Seiken Densetsu 3
DQ hero & Banjo in smash
Link's Awakening
Luigi's Mansion 3
Mario Maker 2

So many games, so little time to play.

Also surprise to see the Witcher 3 on switch...

Last edited:

noj86

Oct 28, 2017
London
For me it was a fantastic direct. Surprises and improvement on the expected stuff.

- Dragon Quest Characters and Banjo-Kazooie in Smash is just what the fanexpected, check for Nintendo.
- Dragon Quest 11 seems great and I love the ability to switch from 3D to 2D (27th of September)
- Release of the Secret Of Mana Collection today with localization for Seiken 3, now known as Trials of Mana. Fantastic, looking forward to this.
- Announce of a 3D Remake of Trials of Mana (Seiken 3) for 2020. Seems on the lower budget of the Square-Enix production but still really cool to see.
- Zelda Link's Awakening remake with a dungeon building feature (20th of September, this is definitely mine too)
- The Witcher 3 Complete Edition, this is definitely witcher magic, looking forward to finish the various expansion on the go. (if it runs well)
- Luigi's Mansion 3 looks a hell lot better than last time and got me excited this time.
- Fire Emblem : Three Houses, like the series, not particularly excited about this iteration but the game is probably gonna be great (26th of July)
- Resident Evil 5 & 6 available today (done 5 on ps3 a while ago, good but not re4. never touched re6)
- Announce of No More Heroes 3 for 2020
- New Contra game in september and Contra Collection dropping today
- Daemon X Machina on the 13th of September (probably not for me, but i'm sure there is some mecha fans around)
- Panzer Dragoon Remake this winter
- Some more info on the next Pokemon games, still release on the 15/11
- Astral Chain is getting released on 30/08, Platinum Games, so if good i'll definitely check it out
- Announce? of Empire of Sin for 2020
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance (19/07) and Expansions (Fall) still looking pretty fun
- Cadence of Hyrule in 2 days (13/06) - definitely grabbing that one
- Mario & Sonic Tokyo Olympic in November
- Animal Crossing New Horizon delayed to 20/03/2020
- Spyro remakes (3rd of September), Silksong (later this year, really excited I love Hollow Knight), Ni No Kuni (20th of September), Minecraft Dungeons (2020), TES Blades (Fall), My Friend Pedro, ... but also Alien Isolation (fantastic game if you haven't done it), FF Chronicles and DQ Builders 2.
- and finally a sneak peak at the sequel to Zelda BOTW

I mean, there was something for everyone. I think they paced the whole direct really well, with a tease for every type of public.
When you think that we also know the following :

- Metroid Prime 4 is in development
- Bayonetta 3 is in development
- Shin Migami Tensei in in development

I'm definitely not worry for Nintendo for the next 2 years.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Those people just have to go through their cycle.
"That series will never come to the Switch! It can't handle it!"
"OK, so the series is coming, but it will only be a spinoff!"
"OK, so it's not a spinoff, but it will be totally unplayable!"
"OK, so it's playable, but it will look like total dogshit!"
"OK, so it doesn't look like total dogshit, but it doesn't look as good as on [console of choice] so it shouldn't have been made in the first place!"

I fucking hate graphics gatekeeping.

It's just utterly embarrassing especially when a lot of these people are gatekeeping for obvious reasons and even for games like Spyro which we all knew was coming but you dared mention it here or you're gonna upset them somehow.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the practice of showing a game and saying "were working on it". Kingdom Hearts 3 did that but it didn't come out for 5 more years.

APP

Dec 1, 2018
A little disappointed there is no info on bayo 3, MP4 or SMT5, tho

But Nintendo surely wins E3.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the practice of showing a game and saying "were working on it". Kingdom Hearts 3 did that but it didn't come out for 5 more years.

BotW 2 is actually rumored for a 2020 release at least.

Nintendo is probably a bit wary of committing to a release window for it considering it's a 3D Zelda and they always get delayed .

HPH

Oct 25, 2017
For my tastes this was the best direct ever. The Resident Evil segment was the weirdest part, I was totally getting hyped there for a new RE title. Still, some fantastic reveals and great trailers for already announced stuff. Very, very happy after this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.