Nintendo Direct: E3 2019 |OT| Redacted by Request of Nintendo’s Legal Team

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
I think you are crazy for not being happy - I can see why you're not though. When they announced they were working on something other than Let's Go they specifically said it would be a more back to roots pokemon adventure. I don't understand why so many people expected a BOTW moment, it was never meant to be coming.
Yea you’re right, I’m pretty sure I remember them calling it, “Pokemon Next” or something of the like, so maybe I spun it out of control in my head.

Just really want a reason to get back into pokemon, but I grew old of the same formula. Oh well, just something I have to accept!

This direct was real fun though, super hyped for Banjo.

Raijinto

Oct 28, 2017
I’m honestly absolutely baffled, Pokemon sword and shield looks legit bad, uninspired and too similiar. Yet I feel these games don’t get the scrutiny every other game gets, we have threads breaking down how a game is garbage because the main characters hair is too dithered, yet there is nothing they are doing in this that seems at all redeemable and yet people are hyped.

I’d be fine if it was not the highest grossing franchise of all time, but its inexcusable at this point. I love love Pokemon, it just bums me out that we are still stuck in the same formula.

Same sounds, same transitions and cameras, same type of formula, graphically/artistically very uninspired, animation very unappealing. I was just hoping for the Breath of the Wild pokemon moment...

I feel like I’m crazy for not being happy with it.
Have you ever played a Pokemon game before?

Edit: never mind I guess answered above.

Oct 26, 2017
Is this the place to complain about the lack of Retro and Pikmin for yet another year?
Are Retro just flushing years of work down the toilet and focusing on Prime 4?
And where's my god damn Pikmin 3 port you cowards!?

Oct 26, 2017
People thought the February Direct was gold, but hoo boy do I feel that the September Direct is gonna be one for the ages. That's gonna be nothing but 1st party 2020 and Animal Crossing, maybe Link's Awakening.
I am afraid that we might get a comparatively weak September Direct since they already got Animal Crossing for March and teased the next 3D Zelda. Plus, it would be the fourth good Direct in a row and we all know that good things don‘t last. :p I wouldn‘t be surprised if they focus on remasters/ports like Metroid Prime Trilogy and Pikmin 3 as far as first-party announcements go.

Nov 3, 2017
Do we know what games are gonna be featured on Treehouse Live today? Same as yesterday, or will there be anything else?
On their Youtube channel, they marked many of their Treehouse gameplay vids as "part 1" it's safe to say that Day 2 will feature more of the same games in addition to unseen games like Fire Emblem. They also said that Day 3 will mostly focus on indies in the Direct btw

MaitreWakou

Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I am afraid that we might get a comparatively weak September Direct since they already got Animal Crossing for March and teased the next 3D Zelda. Plus, it would be the fourth good Direct in a row and we all know that good things don‘t last. :p I wouldn‘t be surprised if they focus on remasters/ports like Metroid Prime Trilogy and Pikmin 3 as far as first-party announcements go.
2019 is the year of the directs of dream, it won't stop ! (But it's true that the september 2018 was already awesome)
I wouldn't be surprised if a MPT trilogy announcement would come with the Metroid 5 reveal. I feel this would be a good reveal for a september direct.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
That crapcom section was weird. They've been the most disappointing they could have been on switch, borderline disrespecting the machine and its owners, yet Nintendo gives them a significant presence in the direct with a cringing trailer for 2 average at best previous gen games which are probably going to be overpriced anyway. I really don't get it.
I mean RE6 seems to be the most popular game in the franchise going by its sales so i can understand the focus on that game, even though i agree it's not what i want from RE.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
On their Youtube channel, they marked many of their Treehouse gameplay vids as "part 1" it's safe to say that Day 2 will feature more of the same games in addition to unseen games like Fire Emblem. They also said that Day 3 will mostly focus on indies in the Direct btw
Yeah, I spotted some of the "part 1" sections on YouTube just now. Good to know they're giving the indies a lot of attention on day 3. It's seemed kind of light on that before.

Timppis

Apr 27, 2018
Is this the place to complain about the lack of Retro and Pikmin for yet another year?
Are Retro just flushing years of work down the toilet and focusing on Prime 4?
And where's my god damn Pikmin 3 port you cowards!?
This is exactly the place.

WHERE IS MY PIKMIN 4!

Do we know what games are gonna be featured on Treehouse Live today? Same as yesterday, or will there be anything else?
They are gonna start with Fire Emblem and there are going to be other games than today as well as probably safe to say some of the same.

seloth

Oct 11, 2018
I feel like Nintendo played it safe. It was nice to get release dates, but Nintendo didn't date anything beyond September -- aside from Animal Crossing but their hand was forced with the delay. I'm looking forward to Fire Emblem and Astral Chain, so seeing them again was nice. BotW2 feels like a trailer to off-set the Animal Crossing news delay. They needed people to talk about something else and it worked. Third-parties stepped up and really gave the Direct content that got people talking and excited; be it Mana, Contra, Panzer or TW3. So, like I said in the video, it was a good E3 once you factor in all things.
Do you still think Ori and MPT are coming to the system?

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that. Makes more sense indeed, yes. I just felt super blue-balled as I expected as least RE7 or Revelation 3 to be, hum, revealed.
Yeah would have loved RE7, it's a fantastc game.

RE6 has the highest sales? More than RE4 in all its incarnations?
Ok seems like RE5 is the best selling entry but RE6 is very close.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
On Amazon Germany a placeholder listing for a Banjo-Kazooie (working title) on Switch popped up. Probably a mistake, but here you go:

Funny that it's already sitting at 16th position in the sales charts.

Link: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07SZX1165/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VCHABYXMQ5BND99DWKJ1&linkCode=sl1&tag=gamefrontde-21&linkId=201a99345fdb9ffc0950fdade1771bd2&language=de_DE
A re-release/remaster of the first game? I could see an announcement being dropped during Treehouse or something.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Still, I'm almost as surprised. 6 didn't seem too great to me, and didn't seem to get a very warm welcome.
Yeah, i didn't like both 5 and 6 but i know i'm i'm in the minority. Forums like these can sometimes give the impression that most fans don't like these games but the sales just don't bear this out.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah, i didn't like both 5 and 6 but i know i'm i'm in the minority. Forums like these can sometimes give the impression that most fans don't like these games but the sales just don't bear this out.
I was mainly talking about critical reception, but it's true that forum posts are limited when it comes to accurately representing...well, reality, I suppose.

Last edited:

Namorange

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Great Direct.

Certainly bummed about Animal Crossing but..

Luigi’s Mansion looks great but I wonder why there wasn’t a release date if it’s still slated for 2019, especially since all other big releases have a concrete release date. I don’t think it’s delayed, just seemed weird.

Link’s Awakening looks amazing and it’s coming much sooner than I expected.

No More Heroes III was nice to see. I’m not huge into the series but I know a lot are and that was a cool surprise.

Banjo in Smash is pretty insane. I just never thought we’d get there.

Breath of the Wild sequel is amazing. It’s my favorite game on Switch and it had me pondering a new playthrough on a different profile. I don’t really know when it will come. If it uses the same engine, then I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s 2020, but also wouldn’t be surprised if it comes out much later because...Zelda development.

Luigi’s Mansion 3, Pokémon Sword / Shield, Mario Maker 2, Link’s Awakening..

That’s an amazing half-year for me as a Switch owner.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
- so.... what happened to ori?

- the RE live action trailer was beyond bizzare, a lengthy video of people playing REmake leading to an announcement that could have just been in the reel at the end, like spyro.

zakatana

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Last year, the post E3 reveals were much better than the (very poor) E3 showing. While I do not expect a perfectly similar scaling between both years, there are probably other significant surprises for 2019 which we still haven't heard of. Nintendo seems to be comfortable releasing 3-4 games within one month and that's great.
That E3 was their best direct since the Switch was introduced and it's not even close.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Last year, the post E3 reveals were much better than the (very poor) E3 showing. While I do not expect a perfectly similar scaling between both years, there are probably other significant surprises for 2019 which we still haven't heard of. Nintendo seems to be comfortable releasing 3-4 games within one month and that's great.
That E3 was their best direct since the Switch was introduced and it's not even close.
Can you remind me which post-E3 reveals we got last year again?

zakatana

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Can you remind me which post-E3 reveals we got last year again?
Warframe, Civilization, Katamari, Into the fucking Breach, and probably others that I'm forgetting. Doom Eternal or Wolfenstein were also confirmed for Switch during July if I recall; during E3, we still didn't know wether they would come to Switch or not. I remember the September direct to be much better than their E3 direct.

skittzo0413

Oct 25, 2017
By the way C_Ali88 the tweet we were talking about before the Direct aired was indeed hinting at a BotW2 tease. It's better that it wasn't posted since seeing it kinda ruined the surprise for me.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Warframe, Civilization, Katamari, Into the fucking Breach, and probably others that I'm forgetting. Doom Eternal or Wolfenstein were also confirmed for Switch during July if I recall; during E3, we still didn't know wether they would come to Switch or not. I remember the September direct to be much better than their E3 direct.
I see. Yeah, the September Direct definitely was a lot beter than the E3 one last year. I think you're right about at least Wolfenstein (although I believe it did leak as a listing right after the unveiling at E3). Doom Eternal was announced in August iirc, so you're right, there.

We'll see how the rest of this year shapes out. We have a ton to look forward to this year as opposed to last year, so that makes things a lot more relaxed.

zakatana

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I still think that Dark Souls 2 will release on Switch before the end of the year, and will be part of the next direct in September or October.
But honestly, even if nothing get's announced between now to February, there will still be games releasing for almost everyone on the system.

JackLinks

Mar 21, 2019
I still think that Dark Souls 2 will release on Switch before the end of the year, and will be part of the next direct in September or October.
But honestly, even if nothing get's announced between now to February, there will still be games releasing for almost everyone on the system.
Anything could release on switch tbh

It doesnt even have to be in the september direct. There could be a seperate announcement like we saw for diablo 3

zakatana

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Anything could release on switch tbh

It doesnt even have to be in the september direct. There could be a seperate announcement like we saw for diablo 3
AH yes, and I forgot that Diablo 3 was also announced last year a few months after E3!
I'm sure we'll have even more games announced and released before the end of the year, and potentially big ones. Which will make the empty first half of 2019 even weirder in a hindsight.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they announce a bunch of new Amiibo today (I believe Bill Trinen said in an interview that they would, but not sure).

silkysmooth

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like with how little we had seen of Animal Crossing up until yesterday, March 2020 is not even close to the worst it could have been. I was fully prepared for generic 2020 which would have meant summer at the earliest in most cases. Still getting it out in fiscal 2019 is great and gives the platform momentum going in to the first half of a year for the first time since launch. AC is going to occupy a ton of my time when it comes out and having to put aside a bunch of games I buy in the fall for it would have been rough. Totally okay with them making a great game and it taking a few months longer to get it done. Plenty to play on Switch this fall.

Jo-TM

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still astounded at Nintendo's transformation. They went from a completely tone deaf company in the WiiU era to one that really listens to the fans and give them what they want .
Meh, their games no longer have any challenge in them whatsoever. I never felt like I was stuck in LM2 and it took me a handful of tries to beat the "final gauntlet" in Odyssey. Every dungeon and puzzle shrine in Zelda treated you like it was your first. The LM3 Gooigi sections looked like puzzles intended for babies to solve. In the Fire Emblem clips all they show is anime garbage instead of actual gameplay because they know their audience. Animal Crossing is a franchise that has no gameplay whatsoever and was the premier 1st party game they showcased in the Direct. I don't need to explain how much of a joke Kirby and Yoshi games are these days. This is the harsh reality. No, Nintendo is no longer "about gameplay", those times are long gone. The Octo Expansion is the only thing that offers a decent amount of challenge and mechanical involvment. Have people here forgotten about games like Tropical Freeze? Heck, even Nintendo Land felt almost impossible to 100%, but I did it after 120 hours of enduring frustration and it felt so good. Getting Perfect Score in all of the Rhythm Heaven DS minigames was such an incredibly satisfying gameplay experience. That Nintendo is gone, and noone cares.

Neoxon

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I didn't know that. Makes more sense indeed, yes. I just felt super blue-balled as I expected as least RE7 or Revelation 3 to be, hum, revealed.
At this point, I'm fully convinced that the Switch won't get anything running on the RE Engine (and while this is purely speculation, I don't think I've ever noticed a game with the RE Engine use dynamic resolution, so that could be why).