Nintendo Direct: E3 2019 |OT| Redacted by Request of Nintendo’s Legal Team

Oct 26, 2017
Super Paper Mario was a good game. I actually liked the 2D to 3D switching.
I agree. I actually like it more than the original Paper Mario

SMRPG and M&L are two different beasts. SMRPG plays a lot more like a traditional RPG whereas Mario & Luigi is all about bouncing around to avoid attacks and overlong special attacks.

Plus the former would have Geno and Mallow.
Those involved special attacks and being able to dodge and counter your opponents attacks are what makes the games great and, if you ask me, infinitely better than SMRPG

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Maybe I'm wrong but I would swear that the only Intelligent Systems series that overlap each other were Fire Emblem / Advance Wars (Advance Wars sold terribly bad and died)

If SMRPG2 were made today it absolutely would have Geno. He's too ingrained into that game's identity.
I'm sure that today more people know Geno for his non-presence in Smash Bros than for the original game.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That's exactly what I'm telling. Should Intelligent System's next game be another Fire Emblem or Paper Mario? Which one has the "10 fans" and which one "100 fans" here?
Paper Mario has regularly sold more than Fire Emblem, actually (top was Wii with over 4M). It's more a 50/50 than anything else. But as Glio said, they are different teams, so not really in competition for resources in such a direct manner.

Weiss

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I actually like it more than the original Paper Mario

Those involved special attacks and being able to dodge and counter your opponents attacks are what makes the games great and, if you ask me, infinitely better than SMRPG
Mario & Luigi is a great series but it's also gotten way too bloated with the last two games, and even with Partners in Time. It's not sleek and simple like Superstar Saga was anymore, and there's too much busywork that goes into each special attack.

I'd like an evolution of SMRPG's combat system without losing the simplicity.

Oct 26, 2017
Mario & Luigi is a great series but it's also gotten way too bloated with the last two games, and even with Partners in Time. It's not sleek and simple like Superstar Saga was anymore, and there's too much busywork that goes into each special attack.

I'd like an evolution of SMRPG's combat system without losing the simplicity.
Nowadays, I'll absolutely agree with that. Paper Jam was pretty disappointing and, while I liked Dream Team, it had its issues. I think, due to not wanting to rehash the series, they're just trying to make each entry stand out with different ideas and gimmicks. In a case like this, I think going back to the basics and going with different characters or maybe even a new IP would be for the best. Still, I'm cautiously optimistic with what they're gonna put out on the Switch

I can see the appeal

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Bad example, they are made by different teams. However if you compare Fire Emblem with Advance Wars, then unless they reinvent Advance Wars, they should choose Fire Emblem.
What ? So what do you think Paper Mario leads are going to work on ? Somehow everyone at IntSys is going to work on Fire Emblem ? IntSys suddenly becomes a one game studio ? Come on now lmao
This is no 3DS anymore. IntSys is a mid sized studio of 150 people. I think a game of Three Houses's size would require all the manpower. I don't think there are two separate teams anymore. It's much bigger than anything they have ever done.

But this is the whole problem with Switch isn't it. People are expecting 3DS level first party output from Nintendo. Big games like BotW 2 and Odyssey 2 should be out in just 2 years, other studios should take up 2 big projects like FE and Paper Mario at the same time, Nintendo should not have huge gaps between two first party games like we had this year (Yoshi-Mario Maker gap), Animal Crossing should not get delayed and Pokémon SwSh should contain 3D models of ALL pokémon. These are super unrealistic expectations. Switch is not 3DS and Nintendo do not employ superhumans. This is the HD generation, it's totally normal for first party output to be smaller than previous gens, especially compared to what we had on 3DS.

I still think Intelligent systems will focus solely on Fire Emblem in the future and make no game beside that. I could be wrong but that's what I believe. We'll see.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This is no 3DS anymore. IntSys is a mid sized studio of 150 people. I think a game of Three Houses's size would require all the manpower. I don't think there are two separate teams anymore. It's much bigger than anything they have ever done.

But this is the whole problem with Switch isn't it. People are expecting 3DS level first party output from Nintendo. Big games like BotW 2 and Odyssey 2 should be out in just 2 years, other studios should take up 2 big projects like FE and Paper Mario at the same time, Nintendo should not have huge gaps between two first party games like we had this year (Yoshi-Mario Maker gap), Animal Crossing should not get delayed and Pokémon SwSh should contain 3D models of ALL pokémon. These are super unrealistic expectations. Switch is not 3DS and Nintendo do not employ superhumans. This is the HD generation, it's totally normal for first party output to be smaller than previous gens, especially compared to what we had on 3DS.

I still think Intelligent systems will focus solely on Fire Emblem in the future and make no game beside that. I could be wrong but that's what I believe. We'll see.
And that's why they collaborate with Koei Tecmo.

Weiss

Oct 25, 2017
Nowadays, I'll absolutely agree with that. Paper Jam was pretty disappointing and, while I liked Dream Team, it had its issues. I think, due to not wanting to rehash the series, they're just trying to make each entry stand out with different ideas and gimmicks. In a case like this, I think going back to the basics and going with different characters or maybe even a new IP would be for the best. Still, I'm cautiously optimistic with what they're gonna put out on the Switch

I can see the appeal
Like I think SMRPG's gameplay still really holds up? Timed hits are emblematic to Mario RPGs, but then instead of doing all these minigames you just have charges, button mashing and pad rotating to do specials. You time a block correctly and you take half damage and with precise timing none at all, but there's magic attacks that can't be blocked so you can't cheese the game.

SMRPG is still my favourite of the bunch so if we got a sequel that was a little more challenging I'd be all over it.

zakatana

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I remember someone saying (on the old forum when everything broke down and people were leaving) that little mac almost made it in ARMS but ultimately didn't "for a good reason". I wonder what that was. I always assumed a punch out would eventually come out but that was more than a year and half ago.

Edit: found it. Well, he was very much wrong about everything. I still hope punch out is coming though. Would make for a nice 40 Euros title to release early next year.

-A sequel to a 3DS game is coming to Switch. Remember what was said about new character inclusion for Smash.
-Netflix (but not Hulu) is coming Q1. Announcement will be tied with a Netflix-produced show.
-Themes will arrive with a Dec. 25 update. Free if you own the game or amiibo.
-Metroid Prime 4 will have a subtitle that people know, Q4 at the earliest. First footage in January Direct.
-Little Mac was almost in ARMS. There's a reason he's not.
-A new spinoff is coming exclusively to the eShop using assets from a game already released

That's all I've got.

Last edited:

Lichtsang

Jan 2, 2018
I remember someone saying (on the old forum when everything broke down and people were leaving) that little mac almost made it in ARMS but ultimately didn't "for a good reason". I wonder what that was. I always assumed a punch out would eventually come out but that was more than a year and half ago.
Perhaps "the good reason" is, that he wouldn't fit the rest of the character designs in ARMS :P

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
You mean this?

Pretty sure ElectricBlanketFire later clarifed that none of this was real.

Peterc

Oct 28, 2017
Just wanted to say. The e3 was good. But i think you cant expect e3 again like in the early days. Nintendo spread the announcement over the whole year. Not only at e3 anymore. So it would impossible to surprise us with many games. Also development getting longer as before. People expect more.

Oct 26, 2017
Like I think SMRPG's gameplay still really holds up? Timed hits are emblematic to Mario RPGs, but then instead of doing all these minigames you just have charges, button mashing and pad rotating to do specials. You time a block correctly and you take half damage and with precise timing none at all, but there's magic attacks that can't be blocked so you can't cheese the game.

SMRPG is still my favourite of the bunch so if we got a sequel that was a little more challenging I'd be all over it.
I'd say it's turn based combat holds up fine but I find actually making my way through the game to be a bit off with the isometric camera. Still, combat wise, I won't lie that I find it the weakest out of the three, at least at their peak. I find it to be too simple compared to the other Mario RPGs and it doesn't have the style or smoothness the others offer. Certainly not bad but I feel like it'd need a fair amount of additions to really do much for me

Well you're far from alone there and, in all honesty, I don't find that to be too unlikely to happen. We get random revivals all the time. I hope you get yours

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
How is Paper Mario a “side project”? How the hell does that even make sense. Its consistently outsold Fire Emblem counterparts since its incarnation. It’s a mainline staple Nintendo series. We got one on N64 then GameCube then Wii. Last gen it was so big that they made one for 3DS and an HD game for Wii U. Yes, they were able to make two games with one being an HD game.

The next mainline Paper Mario game will come 2020 or 2021 the latest. They’ve been working on it for years. They’ve had HD experience. Fire Emblem Three Houses didn’t change anything. Fire Emblem has gained popularity from 3DS.

A Paper Mario game that returns to form will outsell Fire Emblem Three Houses. I’ll take the bet on it.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to say. The e3 was good. But i think you cant expect e3 again like in the early days. Nintendo spread the announcement over the whole year. Not only at e3 anymore. So it would impossible to surprise us with many games. Also development getting longer as before. People expect more.
which early days?
Even with quarterly directs, this E3 direct was better than the majority of the live press conferences

My brother and I watched a lot of E3 conferences leading up this year.

The revered e3 2004 had a sales guy on stage for literally 15 minutes trying to use weird graphs to show Gamecube was doing well lol.
Each year had random grandiose speeches with no real meaning.

People's selective memory is tricking them into thinking the live shows were good.
it sounds harsh, but they really weren't.
Some were more like GDC talks for Devs than anything. Sony 2005 and 2006 were brutal. 2005 moreso, it was a huge tech presentation with PPT slides that an average consumer would not understand. At least 70-80 minutes of it. Tech talk.
I mean it's on youtube if anyone is curious

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
How is Paper Mario a “side project”? How the hell does that even make sense. Its consistently outsold Fire Emblem counterparts since its incarnation. It’s a mainline staple Nintendo series. We got one on N64 then GameCube then Wii. Last gen it was so big that they made one for 3DS and an HD game for Wii U. Yes, they were able to make two games with one being an HD game.
The past Paper Mario games were not side projects. As others said, Intelligent Systems had two teams. All of their titles were equal projects, FE, WarioWare and Paper Mario.

But a possible future Paper Mario would be a "side project" as even what IntSys have is not enough for them, they required assistance from Omega Force for Three Houses even. I think a remake of an older game is more plausible for Paper Mario, it wouldn't require much manpower and it still would be considered as "real Paper Mario" compared to past two games.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
The past Paper Mario games were not side projects. As others said, Intelligent Systems had two teams. All of their titles were equal projects, FE, WarioWare and Paper Mario.

But a possible future Paper Mario would be a "side project" as even what IntSys have is not enough for them, they required assistance from Omega Force for Three Houses even. I think a remake of an older game is more plausible for Paper Mario, it wouldn't require much manpower and it still would be considered as "real Paper Mario" compared to past two games.
Yes I think Paper Mario/TTYD needs to be remade primarily so that IntSys can remember what people loved about them.

zakatana

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
You can easily find examples where Nintendo listens and examples where they don't care (Nintendo switch online for example). I don't think that's a very relevant thing.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Everyone always ignores how good Super Paper Mario was! I’d gladly take another game in that style.

I’m torn on whether a ‘classic’ PM game could happen. On the one hand, I’m sure they’ve heard the fan demand and they’ve been less tight about restricting the Mario franchise to just the established characters and the ‘New’ aesthetic, as seen with stuff like Odyssey introducing a bunch of new races and Luigi’s Mansion 3 bringing back unique portrait ghosts.

But on the other hand, it feels like they might not have an incentive to change up the formula again until they end up with a real sales stinker, and I think SS and CS did relatively well for their respective consoles. I also fear that if a third SS style PM game flopped sales wise, Nintendo would instead take the message of “oh, Paper Mario’s not popular anymore” and just can the franchise.

squid

Oct 28, 2017
I do think there will be another Paper Mario game, I just really wonder what form it will take. I think an ambitious new game in the style of the first game would be very well received, generate a fair bit of hype and end up selling well. But I wonder whether Nintendo thinks its worth the risk, or if they'd rather just remake either/both of the first two. Or worst case scenario, just port Colour Splash :(

Zippo

Dec 8, 2017
I suspect Luigi's Mansion will have a release date before too long. It's already been on the rating board. It's pretty much done. Besides new areas and bosses, there's not much else to show. Looks like the multiplayer needs some extra polish and that's it. I'm guessing December.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
I suspect Luigi's Mansion will have a release date before too long. It's already been on the rating board. It's pretty much done. Besides new areas and bosses, there's not much else to show. Looks like the multiplayer needs some extra polish and that's it. I'm guessing December.
It has to be late October right? makes way too much sense (but then again it's nintendo so...)

HotHamBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I need more news about a title.

Killer Queen Black

Originally revealed for Switch during Nintendo's 2018 E3 Direct. Release announced for Winter 2018. Playable on the showfloor in 2018, plenty of footage online.

Killer Queen Black seems to have been delayed to Q3 2019. Not sure why. End of summer? I think it was on the showfloor again this year.

Magicmilner

Jan 7, 2019
Do we think that we now know all the big games that are releasing on Switch this year, first and third party? Other than indie releases on eshop I mean.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I need more news about a title.

Killer Queen Black

Originally revealed for Switch during Nintendo's 2018 E3 Direct. Release announced for Winter 2018. Playable on the showfloor in 2018, plenty of footage online.

Killer Queen Black seems to have been delayed to Q3 2019. Not sure why. End of summer? I think it was on the showfloor again this year.
It is coming out August 20th.

You can preorder the physical edition here : https://www.amazon.com/Killer-Queen-Black-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07S5BRQX4/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=killer+queen&qid=1560704383&s=gateway&sr=8-8

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
I think Luigi's Mansion might get its own 10-15 minute Direct sometime this summer ( July or August), because the game looks big enough (both in terms of scope and importance to their Fall schedule) to deserve one and that it seems like that strategy worked to help build hype for Mario Maker 2, Pokemon, and Joker.

If this happens, they'll probably announce the release date at that time. I still think it's an October game, because Nintendo will want it out both in time for Halloween and Black Friday and that the December game, if there is one, is probably a Wii U port, but who knows.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Do we think that we now know all the big games that are releasing on Switch this year, first and third party? Other than indie releases on eshop I mean.
I expect at least one more first party game announcement for 2019 release. My money is on Pikmin 3 port for December release but Nintendo can always surprise us with an out of nowhere announcement. Emily said there should be a mystery 4th title for Switch for 2019.

Third party wise, I think there are lots of unannounced title left for 2019. Like other DMC games, I totally expect Capcom to release the complete series one by one for Switch this year. THQ should also have more surprises this year, they have been releasing at least one game per month this year, I expect this trend to continue. Other than those, there are hinted but not yet announced games like Serious Sam and Call of Juarez Gunslinger. Publishers like Ubisoft, Take Two and Paradox could announce more ports at this September direct.