• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I wasn't at all enthused.
But I realize my expectations are the real problem:

Was hoping for a Neir Automata or FFXV port, but instead got Last Remnant and Crystal Chronicles (both are nice but again, my misplaced expectations).

When I saw Panzar Dragoon, I hoped it was PD Saga Remaster, but nope.

Saw Resident Evil and hoped for the recent 7, but no... it was the criticized 5 and 6.

No Ubi (except Lets Dance) no Activision, no EA, no ports of 2020 heavy hitters, but THAT is to be expected.

What really got me is that I expected more first party representation due to the focus on Switch over 3DS/NSW, but I guess those will eventually show up in the year round Directs when they're ready.

I'm not complaining, BOTW and NMH3 were shown, so there's that.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
hYs98jH.gif

I love the Smash Bros. CG trailers so much.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Contra looked like the game they announced ages ago got cancelled cause it was shitty and they only revived it now cause Switch is very popular. It looked VERY last gen. I hope it was just a bad trailer cause I love that series

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
No Wii U ports mentioned :( (was hoping for ports of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, and maybe even Mario 3D World)

mmmmmm6

Jun 10, 2019
I liked what we saw from 3rd party announcements/reveals, like NMH3. I think they carried the Direct until the last reveal -- meaning BotW2. Nintendo, minus BotW2, felt underwhelming. Updates on known things, which is fine, but it felt like too much repeat on stuff we have seen or know. No release date for LM3 was an odd decision and delaying Animal Crossing, though suspected, was disappointing but not terribly damaging to their E3 show or even 2019 lineup. I still feel that 3rd parties are the stars of the Nintendo Direct and Nintendo E3 overall.
I'm a huge AC fan, but I really wasn't disappointed by the delay as much as I thought I would. I feel like the game blew me away where the delay didn't affect me. The thing that 1st worried me was how crafting was being worked into the game. But, I rewatched the trailer and the treehouse gameplay and fell in love with the game. I was worried that these elements would take away the feeling of the franchise, but they didn't. I'm all for them taking as much time as they need to make this game perfect. I just needed to see a trailer and some gameplay to get me through the year. I'm slightly worried that the museum/shopping buildings and special characters might not be back. But, I'm 110% sure they will be since Isabelle is basically the icon of the franchise. I think they're waiting until the next direct in the fall to show it off. Right now, I'm supremely pleased with the game and the direct.

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
I wasn't at all enthused.
But I realize my expectations are the real problem:

Was hoping for a Neir Automata or FFXV port, but instead got Last Remnant and Crystal Chronicles (both are nice but again, my misplaced expectations).

When I saw Panzar Dragoon, I hoped it was PD Saga Remaster, but nope.

Saw Resident Evil and hoped for the recent 7, but no... it was the criticized 5 and 6.

No Ubi (except Lets Dance) no Activision, no EA, no ports of 2020 heavy hitters, but THAT is to be expected.

What really got me is that I expected more first party representation due to the focus on Switch over 3DS/NSW, but I guess those will eventually show up in the year round Directs when they're ready.

I'm not complaining, BOTW and NMH3 were shown, so there's that.

No real surprise games. Suda had hinted heavily at NMH3 so I was expecting it. It was a cool announcement though.

I think there could have been more. What has the Mario Kart Team been doing? Are we getting a new racing game or Mario Kart? 8 came out in 2014 and 8D in 2017.

No Paper Mario or Mario Sports game.

No new IPs.

I'm hoping Nintendo is holding back, which may be the case, considering they only have one first party game slated for 2020 so far.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
No Wii U ports mentioned :( (was hoping for ports of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, and maybe even Mario 3D World)
Nintendo has kept a very short leash on their Wii U ports. They announce them only a few months before release, usually within the window of the that Direct. With LM3 undated, a September Direct is guaranteed. Nintendo is publishing 9 games in the next 4 month, they were never going to throw away a port in the timeframe. October and Dec-Feb are wide open.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
When the Direct ended some members were talking about Metroid having been mentioned in a leak, is that true? I was on a semi-blackout before today.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has kept a very short leash on their Wii U ports. They announce them only a few months before release, usually within the window of the that Direct. With LM3 undated, a September Direct is guaranteed. Nintendo is publishing 9 games in the next 4 month, they were never going to throw away a port in the timeframe. October and Dec-Feb are wide open.

Sweet, thanks for the scoop! Also makes sense for them to use E3-time to focus the spotlight on their newer properties.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only disappointment in this direct for me was the lack of SNES for Nintendo online announcement. I'm still paying this stupid subscription to play Smash and soon Mario Maker but goddamn it I'd at least like to get some better retro games from it too.
Well I got sour news for you - there's no way we're getting SNES or beyond included at the current price tier. I think $20/year will never give you more than NES.

I fully expect each retro console app to require additional subscription costs.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
I'll never understand why Nintendo isn't just doing GameCube and Wii U port/remakes. And just putting a small team on them so that they can fill holes in the lineup. 2-4 a year would do wonders.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
No real surprise games. Suda had hinted heavily at NMH3 so I was expecting it. It was a cool announcement though.

I think there could have been more. What has the Mario Kart Team been doing? Are we getting a new racing game or Mario Kart? 8 came out in 2014 and 8D in 2017.

No Paper Mario or Mario Sports game.

No new IPs.

I'm hoping Nintendo is holding back, which may be the case, considering they only have one first party game slated for 2020 so far.

Yes, that's the feeling I had as well. And maybe it's due to wanting a few megatons or mention of games not announced or alluded to previously.

I hope we at least hear of the next Mario/Nintendo Kart and Paper Mario for 2020. At the very least a Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
Retro game if it exists
MPT
Pikmin 4
Metroid 5
Warioware Switched

Got a feeling Nintendo may have an amazing 2020 too

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had to watch the entire direct again. There's so much I could write about every single segment in it like the little visual flourishes in Luigi's Mansion 3, Panzer Dragoon and a Seiken Densetsu 3 remake showing up out of nowhere, Fire Emblem Three Houses revealing such a massive part of the game like a month before its release, Astral Chain and Daemon x Machina looking better with every showing, Suda throwing us a curveball with No More Heroes 3 and of course Sakurai trolling us hard with that Banjo announcement. Ultimately, what it would amount to is how good Nintendo has gotten at these Directs when they actually try and keep a snappy pace. We knew about most of the high-profile stuff already and it still managed to feel fresh and surprising. I love what they're doing with that bonus mode in Link's Awakening. Animal Crossing was barely on my radar before the Direct but thanks to the local co-op they showed off at the Treehouse, I can't wait to get it. And let's not forget the "impossible" port that is Witcher 3 which somehow looks really good (even though I have no interest in the Switch version). And then the best "one more thing" I could have asked for. All in all, I honestly thought it was one of their best directs ever, top 3 at least and it made me really excited about the system's future.

So all my criticism comes with that in mind, that this was fantastic Direct but obviously not a perfect one:
- Using Smash as (almost) bookends to this Direct made sense but it worked way better for Banjo due to the history Nintendo fans have with the old 64 games and Rare. The Luminary's reveal on the other hand was extremely boring in comparison which is a shame because Joker's was also cool. Not to mention all the stuff with Sugiyama being a bigoted piece of shit and Square Enix being stupid about their music putting a damper on the reveal itself. I hope that we get female alts for Erdrick and Solo at least. His fighting style, however, seems pretty cool.
- As much as I love the timeskip reveal for Three Houses, I really wish they had interspersed the trailer with some more gameplay and teased stuff we don't know about. My mind always drifts off during story/cutscene-only segments. But they're gonna have more about Fire Emblem during the Treehouse so it's no biggie.
- I sometimes don't really get how Nintendo chooses which third party games to highlight. Dark Crystal was okay but nothing special. Contra looked mega ass. However, them giving Resident Evil such a big segment for last-gen ports after what they pulled with REmake, RE0 and RE4 really stung. Combined with the FE stuff that came before, this was the one part in the Direct that dragged because they became indulgent.

In light of this, my biggest personal disappointments with Nintendo's E3 direct and presence:
- Retro's continued absence from these shows is tragic. At this rate, we won't get to play anything new from them until Metroid Prime 4 in 2022 at the very earliest. That we aren't even getting Metroid Prime Trilogy HD any time soon is annoying as well.
- They talked about games for all kinds of players. For months I've been complaining about how they've failed to really capture that shooter/action game audience. Doom, Wolfenstein, Alien Isolation, Resi 5 and 6 go into the right direction but thy still aren't quite there yet. I neither want them to pull an Ubisoft and have half of the presentation drown in gunfire but they have nothing exclusive in this area. They basically need something like Destiny and something like Call of Duty and they have neither.
- NSO is still in a questionable state at best and there's nothing they've done to show me that they are interested in improving it. The NES well is running dry and they're dragging their feet when it comes to SNES games. Tetris 99 is great, I was hoping we'd get more like it. I assume that they're going to show more NSO stuff closer to the end of the year when yearly renewals are up.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Did we find out what "Mario on PlayStation" was? Also did we find out what the other games were after Zells "one down two to go" comment?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Is Miyamoto at E3 at all?

I haven't seen anyone mention him. I guess it makes sense for him not to be there, while he likely has had some imput in Mario Maker, Luigi, and Link's Awakening he doesn't have a ton to do with the other big games they seem to want to show off (Astal Chain, Machina, Sword/Shield, Animal Crossing) so having him over would mostly just be 'hey look it's Miyamoto!'
I do wonder if he'd go down just to look at other people's games like I know he's done in the past, but if he's busy or not feeling well he/they might not have thought it was worth the effort.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That Luigi's Mansion gameplay is so so good, I had to stop watching so I don't spoil myself. Looks way more inspired than I had expected. Perhaps I'll miss portrait ghosts, but this interpretation is great. Gooigi is so fucking stupid but I love him so much, Nintendo should have more dumb characters like him

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Yay. So, I think my theory of the numbers on Pokemon gym leaders being their rankings is getting more power.
Leon #1 - the champion
Nessa #049 - Pokemons at lvl 50
Milo #831 - Pokemons at lvl 19

Also, I loved the water gym from the footage people are uploading.

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
Okayish direct, but apart from BOTW 2 (and I didn't love the first one) no megatons. One issue with the Switch has become that half their announcements are late ports from other consoles/ PC, which don't interest me.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely my favorite of the conferences this year. I saw Smash reveals, I saw the BotW2 megaton, I saw Animal Crossing, I saw Astral Chain and Fire Emblem, I saw Collection of Mana and Trials of Mana. I saw pretty muich I could have wanted out of it.

Square Enix was no slouch, but Nintendo brought it this year. Also, they get bonus points for that hilarious Bowser bit at the start.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't been paying attention and missed everything today. Did they announce a revision of the Switch?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
There were a few interesting no-shows this Direct:

- 2K: I was so sure they would announce something even if it was a last gen port or something.They said it themselves, Civ6 has sold exceptionally great on Switch but where is the further support? Give us our GTA already.
- Halo MCC and Ori: Well, Direct has too many big reveals for Halo to not have a space to shine. I believe this and other MS games (hoping for Banjo remasters too) will be announced in the near future. Many insiders back this up, I believe it's real.
- Namco: We had Ninokuni but that's Level-5. Namco mysteriously did not have anything for Switch. I still don'T understand why that DBZ game isn't for Switch. Didn't Xenoverse 2 and DBFZ sell great?
- Overwatch: Similar to 2K, Blizzard also promised future support for Switch, they even hinted Overwatch by saying that it makes sense. But it was no show. September Direct maybe?
- Other Devil May Cry games: Capcom is currently bringing only one DMC game to Switch. Others should follow but they made no announcement on that one, only RE5 and RE6. Again, they could be waiting for DMC to release to announce the rest.
- Dark Souls 2: One rumor said that all 3 DS games were coming to Switch but so far we had the first one. Logically, we should get Dark Souls 2 one year after the first one but still no word on that one. I hope From is not jerk enough to deny the sequels to Switch owners.
- More Ubisoft remasters: AC3 was great but was it the only one? Shouldn't Ubi bring the other old AC games to the platform? PS4 and Xbox One has them all, Switch could use at least the last gen games but where are they?
- More Square last gen ports: The Last Remnant was a nice gesture last night but I hoped Square to reveal more PS3 era games for Switch today but got nothing. Games like FF13 Trilogy (makes sense after FF12) and KH Story So far. Still they have nothing between DQ11 and Trials of Mana next year, maybe they could still announce some new ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.