• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So here we are, a little over 2 years after launch, and I think things are very strong going into the back half of 2019.

But I want to discuss some of the things we all thought would at least be announced by now that have yet to appear on Switch:

1) SNES, N64, GB, GBA, etc in NES Online form, or any form for 1st party games. So far games from these consoles have been ported for various collections by third party publishers on Switch but none from Nintendo.

2) Enhanced/tailored Wii or Game Cube ports. Or any Wii ports. No Mario Galaxy, No Metroid Prime Trilogy, again only a few ports by third party publishers that we've seen on other platforms

3) Is that it for Wii U ports? Correct me if I'm wrong but NSMBUDX was the last announcement of a Wii U port and that came almost a year ago.

I was told by many in 2017, through 2018, that people no longer had a reason to buy a Wii U because all those games would come to Switch.

Here's some of what's on Wii U but not on Switch:
Super Mario 3D World
Pikmin 3
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Kirby And The Rainbow Curse
Windwaker HD
Twilight Princess HD
Wondeful 101
Fatal Frame 5
Wii Sports Club
Pushmo World
Wii games
Virtual console beyond NES
Folders

It ain't a huge list but it ain't nuthin.

4) Folders. FOLDERS.

5) Themes and badges!! That's just money left on the table.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen anyone mention him. I guess it makes sense for him not to be there, while he likely has had some imput in Mario Maker, Luigi, and Link's Awakening he doesn't have a ton to do with the other big games they seem to want to show off (Astal Chain, Machina, Sword/Shield, Animal Crossing) so having him over would mostly just be 'hey look it's Miyamoto!'
I do wonder if he'd go down just to look at other people's games like I know he's done in the past, but if he's busy or not feeling well he/they might not have thought it was worth the effort.

he is, nintendo posted pics of him on their booth on instagram

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that's the feeling I had as well. And maybe it's due to wanting a few megatons or mention of games not announced or alluded to previously.

I hope we at least hear of the next Mario/Nintendo Kart and Paper Mario for 2020. At the very least a Metroid Prime Trilogy.

It was great. You don't need MEGATONS every other announcement. Clearly you know Nintendo doesn't spill all the beans at e3. Consistently worrying or hoping whether they have "more" is a sure practice in wasting time. Of course they do!

It's like, let's not blow your load 30 seconds after starting. Which would be the equivalent of releasing/announcing EVERY single game that all disparate individual fans may want immediately.

Patience, what are we? A little past year 2?

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible Nintendo has been using them as an asset studio ? Or maybe they've been working on Prime Trilogy HD themselves like they did with DKTF
Not really, Nintendo always credits when other teams contribute to games like Monoltih Soft or ND Cube, and Retro hasn't been credited for anything beyond Tropical Freeze. Trilogy is possible of course, but it will be some time before that's made public assuming it exists.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Should i go ahead and buy a Switch or wait until a hardware revision? Super Mario Maker looks awesome, but i feel they will announce new hardware any day now...

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Lc4X87O.gif

I really like this GIF

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I fully acknowledge that a lot of this has to do with my own tastes, but outside of the Breath of the Wild 2 reveal - nothing in that direct appealed to me. I have zero interest in Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion or the Link's Awakening remake. Astral Chain and Marvel UA3 are games that I might have been willing to try after a few years at half price, which obviously won't happen because of Nintendo pricing. Fire Emblem and Pokemon are franchises that I typically look forward to, but so much of what I've seen of Three Houses looks rough, and the recent revelation that not all Pokemon can be imported in Sword/Shield has really killed my interest in that as well.

It's weird to feel myself really starting to lose interest in Nintendo as a whole, when they've been the makers of most of my favourite games for so long.

Nov 3, 2017
I've been staying off ERA to digest the Direct and Treehouse on my own terms and wow. This has been Nintendo's best E3 Direct in years. I feel like this Direct had a little something for everybody and I just feel like we are feasting.

I am definitely eating crow about Animal Crossing and its delay. I have been extremely disappointed by what's been shown so far but that's a story for another thread.

I really liked that the Smash DLC fighter reveals were done tastefully and didn't take up an excessive amount of time.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses looks absolutely incredible and the game seems to get better with every trailer. I am in full hype mode for this game. Team Golden Deers!

Mario Maker: I was a little surprised that they didn't reveal a final new game style but I've come to terms that new ones will be added as DLC/updates. I'm also very glad that they listened to feedback and will be adding online co-op with friends in a future update.

Astral Chain continues to look great but I'm actually not completely sold on the gameplay? I need to properly watch the Treehouse footage to form a proper opinion.

The Witcher 3. Oh. My. God. We knew it was coming and yet I was still hollering when it came on. I am just so excited to relive this adventure on the Switch. I cannot wait for this and I hope the release date is revealed soon.

BotW 2. We knew this was coming thanks to King Zell but this footage utterly blew my expectations out of the park. It really does seem like we're getting the darker adventure we have all been asking for. I have watched the trailer multiple times and I still can't get enough. I really hope Zell is right in saying that it's coming in 2020!

Retro Studios: I think it's time to permanently accept that Retro's projects were shelved or cancelled and that we should not expect anything from them other than MP4.

Last edited:

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I can only imagine it's Banjo&Kazooie on Switch. Which sort of fits I guess, but still disappointing that it wasn't its own game, and just Smash DLC..

No it's a game and it wasn't possible before. Banjo was once a Nintendo character, remember? It's most likely Halo, many other insiders also supported that theory.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I have completely turned around on two games:

Luigi's Mansion: I thought it looked stale and lifeless from the first trailer. It didn't look very interesting at all. But this direct plus the treehouse footage got me interested. There's so much life in Luigi and the ghosts im falling in love with it. And the game is beautiful

Fire emblem: after fates burned me extremely hard, I was skeptical to say the least. The previous trailers have all looked somewhat dull. I didn't so much mind the school setting but it seemed like they were pulling from fates. But now that the leaks are confirmed basically, and the story is looking pretty intensive, I can't say I'm not excited. I hope the gameplay can match

mmmmmm6

Jun 10, 2019
I fully acknowledge that a lot of this has to do with my own tastes, but outside of the Breath of the Wild 2 reveal - nothing in that direct appealed to me. I have zero interest in Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion or the Link's Awakening remake. Astral Chain and Marvel UA3 are games that I might have been willing to try after a few years at half price, which obviously won't happen because of Nintendo pricing. Fire Emblem and Pokemon are franchises that I typically look forward to, but so much of what I've seen of Three Houses looks rough, and the recent revelation that not all Pokemon can be imported in Sword/Shield has really killed my interest in that as well.

It's weird to feel myself really starting to lose interest in Nintendo as a whole, when they've been the makers of most of my favourite games for so long.
I understand. I'm only interested in Luigi's Mansion 3 and Link's Awakening for the holiday season. Nothing else 1st party wise interests me. I was looking forward to playing Animal Crossing this year, but I understand that they need more time, and it's totally cool with me.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Guys is there a thread around here that lists every announce game and it's respective launch date? I need to accomodate my ideas and my money

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
The best things about this direct for me were

1. Nintendo announced nothing first party for 2020
2. Nintendo announced barely anything for q4 2019

I'm confident we're getting a shitload more stuff throughout the year and i couldnt be happier

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The best things about this direct for me were

1. Nintendo announced nothing first party for 2020
2. Nintendo announced barely anything for q4 2019

I'm confident we're getting a shitload more stuff throughout the year and i couldnt be happier
Yup. More Directs are on the way with even more games guaranteed. General, indie, title-specific.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
- I sometimes don't really get how Nintendo chooses which third party games to highlight. Dark Crystal was okay but nothing special. Contra looked mega ass. However, them giving Resident Evil such a big segment for last-gen ports after what they pulled with REmake, RE0 and RE4 really stung. Combined with the FE stuff that came before, this was the one part in the Direct that dragged because they became indulgent.
I bet you have to pay a fee or have some type of deal with Nintendo to get your game shown during a Direct.

Also, I think DQ is more synonymous with NIntendo's brand than Banjo & Kazooie is, at least worldwide, the reveal was just bland for whatever reason.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
That crapcom section was weird. They've been the most disappointing they could have been on switch, borderline disrespecting the machine and its owners, yet Nintendo gives them a significant presence in the direct with a cringing trailer for 2 average at best previous gen games which are probably going to be overpriced anyway. I really don't get it.

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
Popcorn thoughts:

Smash Character reveals were charming and pleasant, especially Banjo Kazooie
Luigis Mansion, nice but was never keen
Zelda Links Awakening, gorgeous and getting it!
Collection of Mana, nice and might pick this up
Trials of Mana, nice win for the Switch especially if exclusive
Witcher 3, cool nice work...
Fire Emblem, appreciate it but just not for me
RE ports, someone might like this?
No More heroes, happy for Suda 51 dude!
Contra, looks like someone regurgitated!
Daemon X, looks more polished and shows promise
Panzer Dragoon, wow i didnt expect this and it was one of my original "why isnt this on n64" wishes. Getting it!
Astral Chain, poor mans cyberpunk? nah thats too cruel but i do think its cool!
Marvel UA, kinda keen but not...
Animal Crossing, another charmer, but I just dont have time for such titles.
Zelda BotW Sequel, wow I wasnt expecting this but love the darker ominous turn that the game takes! MM next level.

Thanks for reading :)

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Popcorn thoughts:

Smash Character reveals were charming and pleasant, especially Banjo Kazooie
Luigis Mansion, nice but was never keen
Zelda Links Awakening, gorgeous and getting it!
Collection of Mana, nice and might pick this up
Trials of Mana, nice win for the Switch especially if exclusive
Witcher 3, cool nice work...
Fire Emblem, appreciate it but just not for me
RE ports, someone might like this?
No More heroes, happy for Suda 51 dude!
Contra, looks like someone regurgitated!
Daemon X, looks more polished and shows promise
Panzer Dragoon, wow i didnt expect this and it was one of my original "why isnt this on n64" wishes. Getting it!
Astral Chain, poor mans cyberpunk? nah thats too cruel but i do think its cool!
Marvel UA, kinda keen but not...
Animal Crossing, another charmer, but I just dont have time for such titles.
Zelda BotW Sequel, wow I wasnt expecting this but love the darker ominous turn that the game takes! MM next level.

Thanks for reading :)
Trials of Mana isn't exclusive; it's hitting Steam and PS4 as well. Maybe Xbox One?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Well I got sour news for you - there's no way we're getting SNES or beyond included at the current price tier. I think $20/year will never give you more than NES.

I fully expect each retro console app to require additional subscription costs.
That'd be a bummer. Nintendo's online doesn't justify its price for me atm as is. No chance I'd pay more for such a shit service just because they add SNES games.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I absolutely love how much push Square is putting behind the Switch. This is just like the SNES era.

They have dozens of titles in their lineup now.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
The main things in the Direct that I suppose were "negatives" to me or that I just didn't quite get, were the weird Netflix Dark Crystal thing sandwiched between Luigi's Mansion 3 and Links Awakening (why give it such prominence?), and then that whole Resident Evil segment which just seemed so very much out of place compared to the rest of the content of the Direct (Capcom's dumb idea?)

Other than that it was pretty much nonstop stuff to reveal. Biggest wow for me was Trials of Mana, and then the BotW sequel since while I knew it was coming I didn't think they'd announce it so soon.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
That crapcom section was weird. They've been the most disappointing they could have been on switch, borderline disrespecting the machine and its owners, yet Nintendo gives them a significant presence in the direct with a cringing trailer for 2 average at best previous gen games which are probably going to be overpriced anyway. I really don't get it.
The only way I can make sense of this is if Nintendo knows something we don't, as in something "worthy" eventually coming out later down the line from Capcom.

Then again it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo showcase a game from a company that doesn't give them the time of the day (EA cough cough), the difference being that this time with the success of the Switch (as opposed to the WiiU days for example) they shouldn't really have needed to. Maybe someone at Nintendo thinks that any presence of a company is better than no presence. Or maybe Capcom paid them screen time...

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
The only way I can make sense of this is if Nintendo knows something we don't, as in something "worthy" eventually coming out later down the line from Capcom.
Then again it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo showcase a game from a company that doesn't give them the time of the day (EA cough cough), the difference being this time (as opposed to the WiiU days for example) they shouldn't really have needed to. Maybe someone at Nintendo thinks that any presence of a company is better than no presence. Or maybe Capcom paid them screen time...
I was also thinking that maybe Capcom is sitting on something else that gives them some leverage or whatever, but I feel that if that were the case they should only have given that hypothetical project the extra screen time, and not this portfest.

It's not that I mind ports, mind you. I love the fact that a lot of older games will be available in portable form, but Capcom's way of doing things is utter shit.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The main things in the Direct that I suppose were "negatives" to me or that I just didn't quite get, were the weird Netflix Dark Crystal thing sandwiched between Luigi's Mansion 3 and Links Awakening (why give it such prominence?), and then that whole Resident Evil segment which just seemed so very much out of place compared to the rest of the content of the Direct (Capcom's dumb idea?)

Other than that it was pretty much nonstop stuff to reveal. Biggest wow for me was Trials of Mana, and then the BotW sequel since while I knew it was coming I didn't think they'd announce it so soon.
What was that, anyway? I thought it was finally Netflix for Switch

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Then again it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo showcase a game from a company that doesn't give them the time of the day (EA cough cough), the difference being that this time with the success of the Switch (as opposed to the WiiU days for example) they shouldn't really have needed to. Maybe someone at Nintendo thinks that any presence of a company is better than no presence. Or maybe Capcom paid them screen time...

The simplest explanation is that the Resident Evil ports are some of the few high profile M-rated games on the system and the Direct was meant to show that there's games "for every type of player". When it comes to Capcom, I wouldn't try to read too much into it lest you wanna be disappointed.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I was also thinking that maybe Capcom is sitting on something else that gives them some leverage or whatever, but I feel that if that were the case they should only have given that hypothetical project the extra screen time, and not this portfest.

It's not that I mind ports, mind you. I love the fact that a lot of older games will be available in portable form, but Capcom's way of doing things is utter shit.
Sure but let's say, for argument's sake, it is a new MH game (exclusive or not , doesn't matter). I am not at all convinced something like this is coming, but let's just use that here. So, Capcom absolutely would not want to announce it right now, but Nintendo knows about it, and Capcom come to them "hey buddies, while we're waiting for MH, can you please give these 2 RE games that were never on a Nintendo platform a small push?"

The simplest explanation is that the Resident Evil ports are some of the few high profile M-rated games on the system and the Direct was meant to show that there's games "for every type of player". When it comes to Capcom, I wouldn't try to read too much into it lest you wanna be disappointed.
Also true. Plus these two have never been on Nintendo platforms before, and they are actually the highest selling RE games according to Capcom's platinum sellers list.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
This Direct was better than I was expecting. Just game after game after game and some really awesome trailers for Smash, Smash, and Zelda! Really cool surprises and just tight presentation.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Maybe, but even then, these ports are standard Capcom fare, and prior to this they seem to have stopped promoting all of Capcom's low-effort ports. What I find curious is that these ports got a live action trailer and all while The Witcher got 45 seconds of simple trailer. The latter game is a much bigger deal, being an actual current-gen game and a highly respected one, at that.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Sure but let's say, for argument's sake, it is a new MH game (exclusive or not , doesn't matter). I am not at all convinced something like this is coming, but let's just use that here. So, Capcom absolutely would not want to announce it right now, but Nintendo knows about it, and Capco come to them "hey buddies, while we're waiting for MH, can you please give these 2 RE games that were never on a Nintendo platform a small push?"

Also true. Plus these two have never been on Nintendo platforms before, and they are actually the highest selling RE games according to Cacom's platinum sellers list.
It's possible. Still feels disproportionate with the whole live action bit and the amount of time they gave a game that's already out.

Status
Not open for further replies.