• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe, but even then, these ports are standard Capcom fare, and prior to this they seem to have stopped promoting all of Capcom's low-effort ports. What I find curious is that these ports got a live action trailer and all while The Witcher got 45 seconds of simple trailer. The latter game is a much bigger deal, being an actual current-gen game and a highly respected one, at that.

Yeah, that was weird. I mean, who knows, maybe the companies are trying to approach each other again. I would welcome it, Capcom makes some of my favourite games but their Switch support has been questionable.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
BTW has any of you seen the Nintendo World Championship? It totally blew over me and now I'm detecting the 7 hour long video on youtube. Is it worth it?

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Right - until they showed ReMake gameplay, I thought this was for a RE7 port or a new Revelations.
Yeah, I thought they were finally bringing bringing RE7. But then I remembered who we're dealing with here, and then I saw REmake.
MH is currently Capcom's best-selling franchise, so I don't think this would be disproportionate if Capcom promised them a Monster Hunter game. It's the biggest thing Capcom could do for the system.
Still feels weird. The implication is that Capcom said "give us this many minutes for our old wank during the direct or we won't bother with Monster Hunter". Doesn't feel like something Nintendo would agree to, nor something that would be the most beneficial to Capcom. I think it would make more sense for them to have Nintendo co-fund the project or the advertising for MH.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still astounded at Nintendo's transformation. They went from a completely tone deaf company in the WiiU era to one that really listens to the fans and give them what they want .

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah, I thought they were finally bringing bringing RE7. But then I remembered who we're dealing with here, and then I saw REmake.

Still feels weird. The implication is that Capcom said "give us this many minutes for our old wank during the direct or we won't bother with Monster Hunter". Doesn't feel like something Nintendo would agree to, nor something that would be the most beneficial to Capcom. I think it would make more sense for them to have Nintendo co-fund the project or the advertising for MH.
I think that's reading things the wrong way around. Something like "Oh, you're going to give us a huge game like Monster Hunter, Capcom? That's awesome! Are you bringing anything else in the meantime? RE 5+6? We can give you a good trailer for that in our E3 Direct, it's on us!"

Maybe a bit cringy way to put it on my part, but it's quite unlikely that the promotion for RE 5+6 was a conditio sine qua non for the big game(s) coming to Switch.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I think that's reading things the wrong way around. Something like "Oh, you're going to give us a huge game like Monster Hunter, Capcom? That's awesome! Are you bringing anything else in the meantime? RE 5+6? We can give you a good trailer for that in our E3 Direct, it's on us!"

Maybe a bit cringy way to put it on my part, but it's quite unlikely that the promotion for RE 5+6 was a conditio sine qua non for the big game(s) coming to Switch.
Yeah, I agree, which is why I think it's disproportionate for Nintendo to give them the time they did. Prominent spots in a sizzle reel, sure. A live action segment that goes on for minutes, hell no.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I'm honestly absolutely baffled, Pokemon sword and shield looks legit bad, uninspired and too similiar. Yet I feel these games don't get the scrutiny every other game gets, we have threads breaking down how a game is garbage because the main characters hair is too dithered, yet there is nothing they are doing in this that seems at all redeemable and yet people are hyped.

I'd be fine if it was not the highest grossing franchise of all time, but its inexcusable at this point. I love love Pokemon, it just bums me out that we are still stuck in the same formula.

Same sounds, same transitions and cameras, same type of formula, graphically/artistically very uninspired, animation very unappealing. I was just hoping for the Breath of the Wild pokemon moment...

I feel like I'm crazy for not being happy with it.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah, I agree, which is why I think it's disproportionate for Nintendo to give them the time they did. Prominent spots in a sizzle reel, sure. A live action segment that goes on for minutes, hell no.
It's a matter of personal opinion, I think. A 2.5 minute trailer for those games on its own is wildly disproportionate, but if it was made as a "thank you" announcement for Capcom bringing an exclusive Monster Hunter or whatnot to Switch, then I consider it proportionate. Doesn't really matter until we know if anything comes from it, since it's all speculation at this point.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly absolutely baffled, Pokemon sword and shield looks legit bad, uninspired and too similiar. Yet I feel these games don't get the scrutiny every other game gets, we have threads breaking down how a game is garbage because the main characters hair is too dithered, yet there is nothing they are doing in this that seems at all redeemable and yet people are hyped.

I'd be fine if it was not the highest grossing franchise of all time, but its inexcusable at this point. I love love Pokemon, it just bums me out that we are still stuck in the same formula.

Same sounds, same transitions and cameras, same type of formula, graphically/artistically very uninspired, animation very unappealing. I was just hoping for the Breath of the Wild pokemon moment...

The fact that the biggest controversy surrounding SwSh is because of the national dex should maybe give you an indication that the most vocal parts of this fanbase care about vastly different things than this.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The best things about this direct for me were

1. Nintendo announced nothing first party for 2020
2. Nintendo announced barely anything for q4 2019

I'm confident we're getting a shitload more stuff throughout the year and i couldnt be happier
People thought the February Direct was gold, but hoo boy do I feel that the September Direct is gonna be one for the ages. That's gonna be nothing but 1st party 2020 and Animal Crossing, maybe Link's Awakening.

Jun 2, 2019
It's been a long time since a Direct got me this hyped. Weird Capcom moment and Animal Crossing delay aside, it was a non-stop barrage of games, full of surprises, crow servings and the two last MEGATONS closing the event. And the Treehouse streaming was delightful.

Nintendo is killing it this year.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL

A lot of the highest grossing IP these days aren't AAA, thrive off simplicity, and clearly communicate what they are. Pokemon is one of those IP's so if you're looking for some drastic changes then you're chasing a high that you will never catch.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

You should not worry about other people being happy

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
The best things about this direct for me were

1. Nintendo announced nothing first party for 2020
2. Nintendo announced barely anything for q4 2019

I'm confident we're getting a shitload more stuff throughout the year and i couldnt be happier

It's not the best thing for me, but I do agree with this, was a great direct. September direct (or when ever) is going to be great, hopefully presenting a bigger release for Q1 2020 so we dont get Animal Crossing alone. However I do think BotW 2 is the big holiday title for 2020 even if not confirmed. I believe Zell said 3D Zelda for 2020 was a thing. And I trust him on that.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
A lot of the highest grossing IP these days aren't AAA, thrive off simplicity, and clearly communicate what they are. Pokemon is one of those IP's so if you're looking for some drastic changes then you're chasing a high that you will never catch.
So at the very least though, would good visuals, sound and animation ruin that in anyway? Even at the most basic of levels?

Just cannot understand how they seemingly get a free pass, where if it was any other title there would be a petition by now for them to fix it.

And my apologies if I sound like I'm descrediting peoples happiness, I guess I'm legitimately etly trying to understand.

skysthelimit

Jan 16, 2019
I'm gonna bet that it's gonna show up in the September direct, when people need to renew their subscription.. It makes too much sense :P
For some reason I hadn't considered that but I reckon you're spot on.

Eurgh the lack of virtual console didn't used to bother me personally; there's already too many current games than I've got time for. But this drip feed of NES games I never play is becoming frustrating when they have such an unbelievable library.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The main things in the Direct that I suppose were "negatives" to me or that I just didn't quite get, were the weird Netflix Dark Crystal thing sandwiched between Luigi's Mansion 3 and Links Awakening (why give it such prominence?), and then that whole Resident Evil segment which just seemed so very much out of place compared to the rest of the content of the Direct (Capcom's dumb idea?)

Other than that it was pretty much nonstop stuff to reveal. Biggest wow for me was Trials of Mana, and then the BotW sequel since while I knew it was coming I didn't think they'd announce it so soon.

I just hope this means Netflix is coming to the system.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Popcorn thoughts:

Smash Character reveals were charming and pleasant, especially Banjo Kazooie
Luigis Mansion, nice but was never keen
Zelda Links Awakening, gorgeous and getting it!
Collection of Mana, nice and might pick this up
Trials of Mana, nice win for the Switch especially if exclusive
Witcher 3, cool nice work...
Fire Emblem, appreciate it but just not for me
RE ports, someone might like this?
No More heroes, happy for Suda 51 dude!
Contra, looks like someone regurgitated!
Daemon X, looks more polished and shows promise
Panzer Dragoon, wow i didnt expect this and it was one of my original "why isnt this on n64" wishes. Getting it!
Astral Chain, poor mans cyberpunk? nah thats too cruel but i do think its cool!
Marvel UA, kinda keen but not...
Animal Crossing, another charmer, but I just dont have time for such titles.
Zelda BotW Sequel, wow I wasnt expecting this but love the darker ominous turn that the game takes! MM next level.

Thanks for reading :)

Yep, this sums up my thoughts exactly! Good job.

2019 certainly delivers "something for everyone" and that's a great thing, but I can't help feeling Nintendo have dropped the ball. It seems they dropped the ball largely from delays and cancellations, which isn't entirely their fault (if at all), but yea... 2019 is 2018 all over again - not for everyone, I concede there are plenty of games, but certainly for me there's a lot here I really don't think I'll buy. Maybe that's just my problem!

Retro have let the side down massively though. If we had a Star Fox, a Donkey Kong or a Metroid title lined up in 2019 then the outlook would have been dramatically more positive, for me at least.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

I think you are crazy for not being happy - I can see why you're not though. When they announced they were working on something other than Let's Go they specifically said it would be a more back to roots pokemon adventure. I don't understand why so many people expected a BOTW moment, it was never meant to be coming.

Last edited:

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I think you are crazy for not being happy - I can see why you're not though. When they announced they were working on something other than Let's Go they specifically said it would be a more back to roots pokemon adventure. I don't understand why so many people expected a BOTW moment, it was never meant to be coming.
Yea you're right, I'm pretty sure I remember them calling it, "Pokemon Next" or something of the like, so maybe I spun it out of control in my head.

Just really want a reason to get back into pokemon, but I grew old of the same formula. Oh well, just something I have to accept!

This direct was real fun though, super hyped for Banjo.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Have you ever played a Pokemon game before?

Edit: never mind I guess answered above.

Nov 3, 2017
Does anyone else find it odd that the Direct had two Netflix games shown in it but Netflix keeps refusing to make a Switch app?

Oct 26, 2017
Is this the place to complain about the lack of Retro and Pikmin for yet another year?
Are Retro just flushing years of work down the toilet and focusing on Prime 4?
And where's my god damn Pikmin 3 port you cowards!?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People thought the February Direct was gold, but hoo boy do I feel that the September Direct is gonna be one for the ages. That's gonna be nothing but 1st party 2020 and Animal Crossing, maybe Link's Awakening.

I am afraid that we might get a comparatively weak September Direct since they already got Animal Crossing for March and teased the next 3D Zelda. Plus, it would be the fourth good Direct in a row and we all know that good things don't last. :p I wouldn't be surprised if they focus on remasters/ports like Metroid Prime Trilogy and Pikmin 3 as far as first-party announcements go.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Do we know what games are gonna be featured on Treehouse Live today? Same as yesterday, or will there be anything else?

Nov 3, 2017
Do we know what games are gonna be featured on Treehouse Live today? Same as yesterday, or will there be anything else?

On their Youtube channel, they marked many of their Treehouse gameplay vids as "part 1" it's safe to say that Day 2 will feature more of the same games in addition to unseen games like Fire Emblem. They also said that Day 3 will mostly focus on indies in the Direct btw

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I am afraid that we might get a comparatively weak September Direct since they already got Animal Crossing for March and teased the next 3D Zelda. Plus, it would be the fourth good Direct in a row and we all know that good things don't last. :p I wouldn't be surprised if they focus on remasters/ports like Metroid Prime Trilogy and Pikmin 3 as far as first-party announcements go.
2019 is the year of the directs of dream, it won't stop ! (But it's true that the september 2018 was already awesome)
I wouldn't be surprised if a MPT trilogy announcement would come with the Metroid 5 reveal. I feel this would be a good reveal for a september direct.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
That crapcom section was weird. They've been the most disappointing they could have been on switch, borderline disrespecting the machine and its owners, yet Nintendo gives them a significant presence in the direct with a cringing trailer for 2 average at best previous gen games which are probably going to be overpriced anyway. I really don't get it.
I mean RE6 seems to be the most popular game in the franchise going by its sales so i can understand the focus on that game, even though i agree it's not what i want from RE.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
On their Youtube channel, they marked many of their Treehouse gameplay vids as "part 1" it's safe to say that Day 2 will feature more of the same games in addition to unseen games like Fire Emblem. They also said that Day 3 will mostly focus on indies in the Direct btw
Yeah, I spotted some of the "part 1" sections on YouTube just now. Good to know they're giving the indies a lot of attention on day 3. It's seemed kind of light on that before.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Is this the place to complain about the lack of Retro and Pikmin for yet another year?
Are Retro just flushing years of work down the toilet and focusing on Prime 4?
And where's my god damn Pikmin 3 port you cowards!?
This is exactly the place.

WHERE IS MY PIKMIN 4!

They are gonna start with Fire Emblem and there are going to be other games than today as well as probably safe to say some of the same.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
RE6 has the highest sales? More than RE4 in all its incarnations?

Indeed. RE4 didn't really start well on the GC obviously and also failed to gain traction even on PS2. 5/6 were hot from the off on 360/PS3 and the subsequent ports have also been well worth it for Capcom.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I feel like Nintendo played it safe. It was nice to get release dates, but Nintendo didn't date anything beyond September -- aside from Animal Crossing but their hand was forced with the delay. I'm looking forward to Fire Emblem and Astral Chain, so seeing them again was nice. BotW2 feels like a trailer to off-set the Animal Crossing news delay. They needed people to talk about something else and it worked. Third-parties stepped up and really gave the Direct content that got people talking and excited; be it Mana, Contra, Panzer or TW3. So, like I said in the video, it was a good E3 once you factor in all things.

Do you still think Ori and MPT are coming to the system?

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that. Makes more sense indeed, yes. I just felt super blue-balled as I expected as least RE7 or Revelation 3 to be, hum, revealed.
Yeah would have loved RE7, it's a fantastc game.

RE6 has the highest sales? More than RE4 in all its incarnations?
Ok seems like RE5 is the best selling entry but RE6 is very close.

Status
Not open for further replies.