• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Still, I'm almost as surprised. 6 didn't seem too great to me, and didn't seem to get a very warm welcome.
Yeah, i didn't like both 5 and 6 but i know i'm i'm in the minority. Forums like these can sometimes give the impression that most fans don't like these games but the sales just don't bear this out.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah, i didn't like both 5 and 6 but i know i'm i'm in the minority. Forums like these can sometimes give the impression that most fans don't like these games but the sales just don't bear this out.
I was mainly talking about critical reception, but it's true that forum posts are limited when it comes to accurately representing...well, reality, I suppose.

Last edited:

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Great Direct.

Certainly bummed about Animal Crossing but..

Luigi's Mansion looks great but I wonder why there wasn't a release date if it's still slated for 2019, especially since all other big releases have a concrete release date. I don't think it's delayed, just seemed weird.

Link's Awakening looks amazing and it's coming much sooner than I expected.

No More Heroes III was nice to see. I'm not huge into the series but I know a lot are and that was a cool surprise.

Banjo in Smash is pretty insane. I just never thought we'd get there.

Breath of the Wild sequel is amazing. It's my favorite game on Switch and it had me pondering a new playthrough on a different profile. I don't really know when it will come. If it uses the same engine, then I wouldn't be surprised if it's 2020, but also wouldn't be surprised if it comes out much later because...Zelda development.

Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokémon Sword / Shield, Mario Maker 2, Link's Awakening..

That's an amazing half-year for me as a Switch owner.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- so.... what happened to ori?

- the RE live action trailer was beyond bizzare, a lengthy video of people playing REmake leading to an announcement that could have just been in the reel at the end, like spyro.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Last year, the post E3 reveals were much better than the (very poor) E3 showing. While I do not expect a perfectly similar scaling between both years, there are probably other significant surprises for 2019 which we still haven't heard of. Nintendo seems to be comfortable releasing 3-4 games within one month and that's great.
That E3 was their best direct since the Switch was introduced and it's not even close.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Last year, the post E3 reveals were much better than the (very poor) E3 showing. While I do not expect a perfectly similar scaling between both years, there are probably other significant surprises for 2019 which we still haven't heard of. Nintendo seems to be comfortable releasing 3-4 games within one month and that's great.
That E3 was their best direct since the Switch was introduced and it's not even close.
Can you remind me which post-E3 reveals we got last year again?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Can you remind me which post-E3 reveals we got last year again?

Warframe, Civilization, Katamari, Into the fucking Breach, and probably others that I'm forgetting. Doom Eternal or Wolfenstein were also confirmed for Switch during July if I recall; during E3, we still didn't know wether they would come to Switch or not. I remember the September direct to be much better than their E3 direct.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
By the way C_Ali88 the tweet we were talking about before the Direct aired was indeed hinting at a BotW2 tease. It's better that it wasn't posted since seeing it kinda ruined the surprise for me.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Warframe, Civilization, Katamari, Into the fucking Breach, and probably others that I'm forgetting. Doom Eternal or Wolfenstein were also confirmed for Switch during July if I recall; during E3, we still didn't know wether they would come to Switch or not. I remember the September direct to be much better than their E3 direct.
I see. Yeah, the September Direct definitely was a lot beter than the E3 one last year. I think you're right about at least Wolfenstein (although I believe it did leak as a listing right after the unveiling at E3). Doom Eternal was announced in August iirc, so you're right, there.

We'll see how the rest of this year shapes out. We have a ton to look forward to this year as opposed to last year, so that makes things a lot more relaxed.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I still think that Dark Souls 2 will release on Switch before the end of the year, and will be part of the next direct in September or October.
But honestly, even if nothing get's announced between now to February, there will still be games releasing for almost everyone on the system.

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
I still think that Dark Souls 2 will release on Switch before the end of the year, and will be part of the next direct in September or October.
But honestly, even if nothing get's announced between now to February, there will still be games releasing for almost everyone on the system.
Anything could release on switch tbh

It doesnt even have to be in the september direct. There could be a seperate announcement like we saw for diablo 3

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Anything could release on switch tbh

It doesnt even have to be in the september direct. There could be a seperate announcement like we saw for diablo 3

AH yes, and I forgot that Diablo 3 was also announced last year a few months after E3!
I'm sure we'll have even more games announced and released before the end of the year, and potentially big ones. Which will make the empty first half of 2019 even weirder in a hindsight.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they announce a bunch of new Amiibo today (I believe Bill Trinen said in an interview that they would, but not sure).

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like with how little we had seen of Animal Crossing up until yesterday, March 2020 is not even close to the worst it could have been. I was fully prepared for generic 2020 which would have meant summer at the earliest in most cases. Still getting it out in fiscal 2019 is great and gives the platform momentum going in to the first half of a year for the first time since launch. AC is going to occupy a ton of my time when it comes out and having to put aside a bunch of games I buy in the fall for it would have been rough. Totally okay with them making a great game and it taking a few months longer to get it done. Plenty to play on Switch this fall.

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm still astounded at Nintendo's transformation. They went from a completely tone deaf company in the WiiU era to one that really listens to the fans and give them what they want .

Meh, their games no longer have any challenge in them whatsoever. I never felt like I was stuck in LM2 and it took me a handful of tries to beat the "final gauntlet" in Odyssey. Every dungeon and puzzle shrine in Zelda treated you like it was your first. The LM3 Gooigi sections looked like puzzles intended for babies to solve. In the Fire Emblem clips all they show is anime garbage instead of actual gameplay because they know their audience. Animal Crossing is a franchise that has no gameplay whatsoever and was the premier 1st party game they showcased in the Direct. I don't need to explain how much of a joke Kirby and Yoshi games are these days. This is the harsh reality. No, Nintendo is no longer "about gameplay", those times are long gone. The Octo Expansion is the only thing that offers a decent amount of challenge and mechanical involvment. Have people here forgotten about games like Tropical Freeze? Heck, even Nintendo Land felt almost impossible to 100%, but I did it after 120 hours of enduring frustration and it felt so good. Getting Perfect Score in all of the Rhythm Heaven DS minigames was such an incredibly satisfying gameplay experience. That Nintendo is gone, and noone cares.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I didn't know that. Makes more sense indeed, yes. I just felt super blue-balled as I expected as least RE7 or Revelation 3 to be, hum, revealed.
At this point, I'm fully convinced that the Switch won't get anything running on the RE Engine (and while this is purely speculation, I don't think I've ever noticed a game with the RE Engine use dynamic resolution, so that could be why).

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Meh, their games no longer have any challenge in them whatsoever. I never felt like I was stuck in LM2 and it took me a handful of tries to beat the "final gauntlet" in Odyssey. Every dungeon and puzzle shrine in Zelda treated you like it was your first. The LM3 Gooigi sections looked like puzzles intended for babies to solve. In the Fire Emblem clips all they show is anime garbage instead of actual gameplay because they know their audience. Animal Crossing is a franchise that has no gameplay whatsoever and was the premier 1st party game they showcased in the Direct. I don't need to explain how much of a joke Kirby and Yoshi games are these days. This is the harsh reality. No, Nintendo is no longer "about gameplay", those times are long gone. The Octo Expansion is the only thing that offers a decent amount of challenge and mechanical involvment. Have people here forgotten about games like Tropical Freeze? Heck, even Nintendo Land felt almost impossible to 100%, but I did it after 120 hours of enduring frustration and it felt so good. Getting Perfect Score in all of the Rhythm Heaven DS minigames was such an incredibly satisfying gameplay experience. That Nintendo is gone, and noone cares.
If they didnt care about gameplay then why are Astral chain, NMH3 or daemon x machina exclusives?
And about fire emblem, maybe us fans just want to learn a bit more about story and confirm If the leak is true. I'm sure we'll see more gameplay today or tomorrow during the treehouse.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I said a few weeks before that Astral Chain was low key my most anticipated game of the year. I really liked what I saw yesterday, I hope that this and Bayonetta won't be the last collaboration of Nintendo with Platinum; specifically, daddy needs his Viewtiful Joe 3. Those games may not sell very well, but I'm sure that they do contribute a lot in the image of a console, and hence indirectly bring more sales.
Same goes for NHM, those are important game to have (and to have as exclusives even more, when most 3rd parties still skip the Switch).

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I see. Yeah, the September Direct definitely was a lot beter than the E3 one last year. I think you're right about at least Wolfenstein (although I believe it did leak as a listing right after the unveiling at E3). Doom Eternal was announced in August iirc, so you're right, there.

We'll see how the rest of this year shapes out. We have a ton to look forward to this year as opposed to last year, so that makes things a lot more relaxed.
Astral chain will be out by then so I hope we see some bayo 3 gameplay.
Its kinda weird how we've only seen one platinum games title despite them saying they'll be making multiple announcements this year.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
So does this mean that in 2021 we are gonna have Metroid Prime 4, BOTW2, Bayonetta 3 and Pikmin 4?

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018

Super Mario games have never been hard.

Breathe of the Wild was probably the most difficult Zelda to beat to date if you consider the overall difficulty level and not individual frustrating dungeons.

Animal Crossing has TONS of gameplay. The fact that you don't like it doesn't make it less of a game.

LM3 Gameplay looks absolutely stunning.

Calling Fire Emblem anime carbage pretty much sums up your post, you don't like something, ergo carbage.

Tropical Freeze was a masterpiece. Absolute gem. Switch hasn't had anything by Nintendo like that... except of course Tropical Freeze.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly absolutely baffled, Pokemon sword and shield looks legit bad, uninspired and too similiar. Yet I feel these games don't get the scrutiny every other game gets, we have threads breaking down how a game is garbage because the main characters hair is too dithered, yet there is nothing they are doing in this that seems at all redeemable and yet people are hyped.

I'd be fine if it was not the highest grossing franchise of all time, but its inexcusable at this point. I love love Pokemon, it just bums me out that we are still stuck in the same formula.

Same sounds, same transitions and cameras, same type of formula, graphically/artistically very uninspired, animation very unappealing. I was just hoping for the Breath of the Wild pokemon moment...

I feel like I'm crazy for not being happy with it.

While I'm still very excited for the game (it's a rare day-1'er for me), I do agree the graphics are fairly underwhelming, at least from what I've seen in the wild area. The textures looks especially bad and something about the character facial animations (particularly fans cheering in the stands during gym battles) feel creepily off.

I guess the reason there isn't exactly an uproar about this (and the reason I'm still excited for it anyway, despite the graphics) is that those components never really meant all that much to me given what I've been used to on the GB-GBA-DS games (I haven't played the 3DS ones). I just want another Pokemon adventure.

Faxeo

Apr 21, 2019
guys I know it's a stupid question but is Animal Crossing new horizons a game of the main series? has this been confirmed? Because I heard someone who thinks otherwise

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
#1 on trending 2.6 million views on the Nintendo main channel vs. 1.4 for all of last year's direct with 12 months to accumulate views

Big win for them id say

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Do we know which games will be shown in Treehouse Live today?
So at the very least though, would good visuals, sound and animation ruin that in anyway? Even at the most basic of levels?

Just cannot understand how they seemingly get a free pass, where if it was any other title there would be a petition by now for them to fix it.

And my apologies if I sound like I'm descrediting peoples happiness, I guess I'm legitimately etly trying to understand.
In most cases I am not one to turn down additional/better features in a game. However what you're suggesting clearly isn't something the developer or the fanbase holds in high regard since it hasn't happened and the games are still selling like crazy.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
My predictions on 2020-2021 releases:

2020:
SPRING- Animal Crossing (confirmed)
SPRING - Mario Golf (September Direct reveal)
FALL - Bayonetta 3 (will be revealed in September or during VGA)
FALL - Pikmin 4 (March reveal)
WINTER- Super Mario Odyssey 2 (revealed during VGA)

2021:
SPRING - Mario Kart 9
SUMMER - Paper Mario
SUMMER - Xenoblade Sequel
FALL - Breath of the Wild 2
WINTER - Metroid Prime 3

2021 gonna be lit

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Games/things showcased in the direct:

Dragon Quest x Smash announcement trailer
Dragon Quest 11S Definitive Edition release date trailer
Luigi's Mansion 3 gameplay trailer
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics announcement trailer
Link's Awakening Remake gameplay/release date trailer
Trials of Mana remake announcement trailer
Collection of Mana announcement trailer
The Witcher 3 Switch announcement trailer
Fire Emblem: Three Houses story trailer
Resident Evil 5+6 Switch announcement trailer
No More Heroes 3 announcement trailer
Contra Rogue Corps announcement trailer
Contra Anniversary Collection announcement
Daemon X Machina release date announcement trailer
Panzer Dragoon remake announcement trailer
Pokemon S&S gameplay snippet
Astral Chain story trailer
Empire of Sin announcement trailer
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 trailer
Cadence of Hyrule release date announcement trailer
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games announcement trailer
Animal Crossing New Horizons reveal/release date trailer
Spyro Reignited Trilogy Switch announcement snippet
The Sinking City Switch announcement snippet
Alien Isolation Switch announcement snippet
New Super Lucky's Tale announcement/switch announcement snippet(?)
Dauntless Switch announcement snippet
Banjo Kazooie x Smash announcement trailer
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 announcement trailer

I'd say that was a pretty dang good showcase guys. Mix of first party, third party, indies, mulitplats and exclusives

Combined with other E3 announcements prior:

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Minecraft Dungeons
Just Dance 2020
Gods and Monsters
Elder Scrolls Blades
Final Fantasy 8 remaster

This is probably the most prominent third party showcase Nintendo has ever had in a decade

Status
Not open for further replies.