• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I am afraid that we might get a comparatively weak September Direct since they already got Animal Crossing for March and teased the next 3D Zelda. Plus, it would be the fourth good Direct in a row and we all know that good things don't last. :p I wouldn't be surprised if they focus on remasters/ports like Metroid Prime Trilogy and Pikmin 3 as far as first-party announcements go.
Metroid 5 should be the big finisher there

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad at no Xenoblade news of any kind.

It's sad, but to be fair, we just got a game last year through Torna. They began recruiting for the Xenoblade team in October 2018. I imagine they're fairly early in development of the next game at this point. There was a recent interview with Takahashi saying that his games generally take 2.5-3 years to develop. I think the earliest we'll see anything is in the 2020 Fall Direct or the 2021 January-February Direct.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK

Fair.

Spare a thought for the Retro fans though...

And everyone that wants a decent online service...

And anyone that wants a big single player game this year, that they haven't already played before...

*sigh*

Oh and Witcher 3 is cool and all, but I seriously hope Nintendo didn't bend over backwards for it, because the elephant in the room is that GTA V was the one to bend over backwards for...

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Wow, Angry Joe's reaction was fucking terrible lol

To me it seems a reaction made just for the clicks.

Regardless of how the presentation was, you can tell they were so uninterested even before the Direct started, Nintendo could have announced Half Life 3 and they would have been unimpressed anyway, so why are you even watching it besides clicks?

I sense also a bit of prejudice on Nintendo from certain channel, to the point reaction would have been far more positive to some of the announcement in the Direct but because they were coming from Nintendo they have to keep that sad face all the time... idk why, if i have to guess probably Nintendo of Japan's strictness on copyright.

Takahashi gave an update on a recent interview: next Monolith Soft project has been in development (not Zelda) for 10 months, map is already done and all that comes from it, estimated dev time: 3 years, so it should be ready in 2021.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
The best things about this direct for me were

1. Nintendo announced nothing first party for 2020
2. Nintendo announced barely anything for q4 2019

I'm confident we're getting a shitload more stuff throughout the year and i couldnt be happier
Are you sure? Animal Crossing is 2020, and Q4 has Pokémon and (presumably) Luigi's Mansion.

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
re: Xenoblade news

Thanks for the replies. Though to be more specific, what I was really looking for was any kind of news about a XCX port on the Switch, if not an update/sequel. Yeah, I know, "too expensive" and all that, but I was kinda hoping that things might be different now, somehow. I'm itching to play it again from the beginning and was holding out that I might get to play it on newer hardware. But I guess I'll have to fire up the ol' Wii U gamepad to play it.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Metroid 5 should be the big finisher there

I like the way you think. With a release in mid-2020?

It's gonna be interesting to see what else they will show/tease from their 2020 lineup. Animal Crossing will hopefully not suffer another delay and Bayo 3 should also be ready, barring any development issues. Pokémon is most likely having an off year and I don't think that the next Zelda will make 2020. 3D Mario and Kirby are definitely due for another entry next year, however.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Takahashi gave an update on a recent interview: next Monolith Soft project has been in development (not Zelda) for 10 months, map is already done and all that comes from it, estimated dev time: 3 years, so it should be ready in 2021.

This isn't true btw. All of this was done through Google Translate. In the interview, Takahashi described the general process of game development at Monolith Soft. Here is the full translation by Lugalbanda:

The interviewer asks how Takahashi comes up with the plot, and he says:

Takahashi: When it's still on paper, I say "there's a world like this, with characters like this," and that's all I've decided on. After that, I come up with a basic storyline and say "These are the kinds of things we're doing for this script," and that's what I tell my staff… After that, the planners, game designers and programmers group together and head to their desks to create a game flow. If there's a problem, we get feedback, fix the plot, tidy up the characters, and we get down to the nitty-gritty of the script once all of that game progression is set into stone.

Interviewer: And how long would you say it's taken at that point?

Takahashi: About eight to ten months. By that point, we know what we need to make and have the proper environment to do so, and then we start making all the assets, and we're at the 2.5~3 year mark.

More in the link below:
xenomira.wordpress.com

The Tribulations of Xenosaga created Xenoblade. “Harada Breaks It Down” Vol.7, We Asked Takahashi Tetsuya About Monolith Soft [Summary]

Takahashi recently sat down with Harada Katsuhiro from Namco to talk mostly about the Japanese hiring process and workplace culture. I feel most of this interview to be lacking in insight into the …

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I like the way you think. With a release in mid-2020?

It's gonna be interesting to see what else they will show/tease from their 2020 lineup. Animal Crossing will hopefully not suffer another delay and Bayo 3 should also be ready, barring any development issues. Pokémon is most likely having an off year and I don't think that the next Zelda will make 2020. 3D Mario and Kirby are definitely due for another entry next year, however.
hmmm.

It'd definitely be only early 2020 stuff. If 3D Mario (likely an Odyssey sequel) was coming early 2020, I think it would've been shown in yesterday's Direct. Similar to Galaxy 2 reveal to release timeframe. I can see it late next year though, but unlike you I also see Zelda as late next year.

Metroid 5 seems ripe for a general non-E3 direct opener or closer though. We had that insider who teased SR also tease that too about a couple years ago. It should be ready to be shown off soon and I can see it making that date.

As for Bayo 3, hopefully the next general direct is after August 30th then it's fair game. I can't see it not being 2020. Definitely late though. I only don't expect it right now because of Astral Chain and fully believe that game is in a showable, progressed state.

Pokémon is off next year definitely I agree, Kirby could be up but I'd prefer they take their time and really do something different with that one. Maybe we'll finally see Pikmin.

And then there's Prime Trilogy but I don't even wanna begin on that, I feel like it's cursed

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
This isn't true btw. All of this was done through Google Translate. In the interview, Takahashi described the general process of game development at Monolith Soft. Here is the full translation by Lugalbanda:

More in the link below:
xenomira.wordpress.com

The Tribulations of Xenosaga created Xenoblade. “Harada Breaks It Down” Vol.7, We Asked Takahashi Tetsuya About Monolith Soft [Summary]

Takahashi recently sat down with Harada Katsuhiro from Namco to talk mostly about the Japanese hiring process and workplace culture. I feel most of this interview to be lacking in insight into the …

Oh okay i read that interview through Google Translate too haha

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
Just remembered that we didn't see Game Freak's Town at all. I was actually pretty excited to hear more about it so that's a bummer.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Just remembered that we didn't see Game Freak's Town at all. I was actually pretty excited to hear more about it so that's a bummer.

It's not a Nintendo first party game, they're not even publishing it. I'm sure Game Freak will show off more when they feel ready to. Nintendo rarely talks about previously announced third party games in Directs (or especially E3).

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh okay i read that interview through Google Translate too haha

I do the same thing too, honestly haha. It's always best to wait until someone can provide an accurate translation.

That being said, the good news is that it's already been 8 months since the project began. Actually, it may be even further along in development since Takahashi could've even started brainstorming ideas before Torna came out. Torna came out 9 months after XC2, so technically the whole 8-10 months thing might've started before Takahashi posted the recruitment drive for his team in October 2018.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
An absolutely stellar E3 showing but one thing I noticed...perhaps I missing something but did Nintendo not announce anything new from them at all except BOTW2?

I guess they had so much to show from known quantities (plus tons of third party stuff) that they didn't need to announce new things. That definitely makes for a unique Nintendo E3 and makes me wonder what they are cooking up behind the scenes.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
hmmm.

It'd definitely be only early 2020 stuff. If 3D Mario (likely an Odyssey sequel) was coming early 2020, I think it would've been shown in yesterday's Direct. Similar to Galaxy 2 reveal to release timeframe. I can see it late next year though, but unlike you I also see Zelda as late next year.

I think that their internal date for Zelda is 2020 as well and it would explain Zell's hint. But as I've said before, I totally expect it to be delayed in true Zelda fashion. Definitely want it for next year though. BotW2 and Odyssey2 for the holidays would be quite something and I am sure that they're going to set them apart from their predecessors.

Metroid 5 seems ripe for a general non-E3 direct opener or closer though. We had that insider who teased SR also tease that too about a couple years ago. It should be ready to be shown off soon and I can see it making that date.

Yeah, definitely agree with you there. My only concern so far has been that we don't really know who's been working on it. MercurySteam makes a lot of sense but they've been mostly tied up with Spacelords per Álvarez.

As for Bayo 3, hopefully the next general direct is after August 30th then it's fair game. I can't see it not being 2020. Definitely late though. I only don't expect it right now because of Astral Chain and fully believe that game is in a showable, progressed state.

Last three Fall Directs have all been in September, last two even on the same exact date and I don't see that changing. Date seems to work for them.

Pokémon is off next year definitely I agree, Kirby could be up but I'd prefer they take their time and really do something different with that one. Maybe we'll finally see Pikmin.

Kirby on Switch is interesting because they've been way more conservative on the Switch. During the 3DS era we got several spun-off mini games in-between. Maybe they are pouring more time and care into the next one.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
And anyone that wants a big single player game this year, that they haven't already played before...

*sigh*

Oh and Witcher 3 is cool and all, but I seriously hope Nintendo didn't bend over backwards for it, because the elephant in the room is that GTA V was the one to bend over backwards for...

I mean, Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion, Daemon x Machina, Fire Emblem and Astral Chain are all single player (albeit some with co-op options but it really looks like it's an option and not a forced mechanic). I realize besides maybe Pokemon, none of them are Oddysey/BotW tier but they all cover widely different genres (Turn based RPG/puzzle-adventure/Mech shooter/strategy/action). If anything, there doesn't seem to be anything that covers solely multiplayer. Mario Maker and Ultimate Alliance, kind of, but those seem to straddle the line. Compared to last year, this year seems REALLY single player focused.

As for Witcher, I believe it's been confirmed that it's using 32GB cartridges for the physical edition so I have a sneaking suspicion they bent backwards for it. However, I feel like that might bode well for the future of GTA V, if they understand what a get that would be. Here's hoping (even if it's not a game I plan on getting).

mmmmmm6

Jun 10, 2019
I'm honestly absolutely baffled, Pokemon sword and shield looks legit bad, uninspired and too similiar. Yet I feel these games don't get the scrutiny every other game gets, we have threads breaking down how a game is garbage because the main characters hair is too dithered, yet there is nothing they are doing in this that seems at all redeemable and yet people are hyped.

I'd be fine if it was not the highest grossing franchise of all time, but its inexcusable at this point. I love love Pokemon, it just bums me out that we are still stuck in the same formula.

Same sounds, same transitions and cameras, same type of formula, graphically/artistically very uninspired, animation very unappealing. I was just hoping for the Breath of the Wild pokemon moment...

I feel like I'm crazy for not being happy with it.
I think if they made the character models without an outline similar to what they look like to the Let's Go games and if the textures and wilderness felt more fleshed out sort of like how Breath of the Wild or Animal Crossing New Horizons looks, then I think it would be worth the $60. Right now, I feel like it looks more like a 3ds game.

mmmmmm6

Jun 10, 2019
guys I know it's a stupid question but is Animal Crossing new horizons a game of the main series? has this been confirmed? Because I heard someone who thinks otherwise
I think it is a new game in the mainline series. It wouldn't have much of a focus or an apology for a delay if it were a spinoff. I'm sure that they are making it super fleshed out, so we have to build up the town like building and placing buildings and creating event places for special NPCs.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'm liking these possible 2020 line-ups, even though 2019 is full-to-bursting and I don't know how I'm going to afford everything or find time for what I want on Switch.

I see the next 3D Mario as a late 2019/early 2020 reveal and potentially a summer release, like Galaxy 2. Right now, I think Nintendo are targeting late 2020 with Zelda, hence why they were confident enough to reveal it yesterday - but Animal Crossing is proof once again EPD isn't free of delays and Zelda is legendary (pardon the pun) for delays. Right now, if I had to guess, I'd see something like this as a basis for 2020:

Q1: Pikmin 3 or Wonderful 101, Animal Crossing
Q2: Mario Golf, 3D Super Mario, Kirby
Q3: Monolith Soft, No More Heroes 3, 2D Metroid
Q4: Zelda (hopefully), Bayonetta 3

Obviously there's more in the works, but I think the schedule, so far as there is one, is looking something like that. I'd expect another potentially big seller scheduled for the second half of the year - maybe a new IP, but I'm not sure what it could be. I'm conscious that as that list stands, Monolith Soft's game, 2D Metroid, NMH 3 and Bayonetta 3 will be relatively small releases (in the 1 to 2 million range). Maybe a new EPD IP.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I can't post in a Nintendo thread without uttering something something MPT somewhere.

I'm broken and Nintendo knows it.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
So King Zell said 3D Zelda 2020. I'm sure that's the internal goal atm, until they're confident it doesn't need to be delayed to 2021.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
After the Sabi shit, and smash fans getting ready to pounce Shinobi after losing confidence in Banjo's inclusion, I'll be surprised if the resetera insiders continue to engage in discussions.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Prime Trilogy will be announced eventually. Just no reason for it now.

Prime 4 may not be ready until the Prime Series' 20th anniversary, as crazy as that sounds.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I simply have no update on MPT. That's why I answered the way I did.
That makes sense, honestly. Assuming it's real, they clearly have held it back for strategic reasons. I've been saying for a little while now that it doesn't make sense to sit on a game only to drop it in a crowded release schedule; I imagine they're waiting for either early 2020 or maybe even until they're ready to give an update on 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.