• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bombdrop

Banned
Jun 11, 2019
Nintendo still needs some pick up and go sports game like mario strikers, punchout, or mario golf. Also something like ssx, tony hawk, or skate would be nice.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Games/things showcased in the direct:

Dragon Quest x Smash announcement trailer
Dragon Quest 11S Definitive Edition release date trailer
Luigi's Mansion 3 gameplay trailer
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics announcement trailer
Link's Awakening Remake gameplay/release date trailer
Trials of Mana remake announcement trailer
Collection of Mana announcement trailer
The Witcher 3 Switch announcement trailer
Fire Emblem: Three Houses story trailer
Resident Evil 5+6 Switch announcement trailer
No More Heroes 3 announcement trailer
Contra Rogue Corps announcement trailer
Contra Anniversary Collection announcement
Daemon X Machina release date announcement trailer
Panzer Dragoon remake announcement trailer
Pokemon S&S gameplay snippet
Astral Chain story trailer
Empire of Sin announcement trailer
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 trailer
Cadence of Hyrule release date announcement trailer
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games announcement trailer
Animal Crossing New Horizons reveal/release date trailer
Spyro Reignited Trilogy Switch announcement snippet
The Sinking City Switch announcement snippet
Alien Isolation Switch announcement snippet
New Super Lucky's Tale announcement/switch announcement snippet(?)
Dauntless Switch announcement snippet
Banjo Kazooie x Smash announcement trailer
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 announcement trailer

I'd say that was a pretty dang good showcase guys. Mix of first party, third party, indies, mulitplats and exclusives

Combined with other E3 announcements prior:

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Minecraft Dungeons
Just Dance 2020
Gods and Monsters
Elder Scrolls Blades
Final Fantasy 8 remaster

This is probably the most prominent third party showcase Nintendo has ever had in a decade
Throw in Wolfenstein Youngblood and Doom Eternal and I can't believe how many Switch games I will buy this year alone.

From the Durect, there are three games I don't want to play. Just three. Out of like, 20 lol.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo still needs some pick up and go sports game like mario strikers, punchout, or mario golf. Also something like ssx, tony hawk, or skate would be nice.

I agree. Wave Race, 1080 and Excite need to be revived asap. And yes, Nintendo also add a skateboarding game to their extreme sports lineup. Activision and EA no longer care, so it's up to Nintendo to revive genre.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree. Wave Race, 1080 and Excite need to be revived asap. And yes, Nintendo also add a skateboarding game to their extreme sports lineup. Activision and EA no longer care, so it's up to Nintendo to revive genre.
Lets wait for the September direct. The hilarious part about this E3 Direct is Nintendo only announced one new first party IP being Botw 2. They did the same last year with Mario Party.

Their general Directs they're announcing 2-3 new first party IP's though.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Lets wait for the September direct. The hilarious part about this E3 Direct is Nintendo only announced one new first party IP being Botw 2. They did the same last year with Mario Party.

Most people will interpret that sentence as actual new IP. You mean new games, right?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

I expect their September direct to be Microsoft show with Ori, Halo and potential Banjo HD ports but yes, there should be Q1 2020 first party games too. Expecting Wave Race there is not realistic thing to do but I'll wait for it anyway.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
People aren't talking enough about how amazing the Link's Awakening sound track is going to be

Do we know who's handling the rearrangements? Whoever it is, I'm glad they're not shying away from having some electronic bleeps and bloops every now and then to give that Game Boy feeling .

I'm loving everything about this remake right now, and that's despite me thinking the original game being good enough not to ever need a remake in the first place. I hope tons of Zelda noobs will realize Link's Awakening's greatness thanks to this!

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
I mean, there's nothing to find out. Retro is making Prime 4 now, and for the last 5 years they've been doing nothing but BBQ.
Even MP4 will be called "Metroid Prime Rib."

The September Direct will definatly be the start of their 2020 marketing campaign... Just like last year's was for 2019. At this time last year, we only knew about Yoshi and Fire Emblem. I imagine we'll start seeing more Switch-games sequels, too.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
September direct will most likely focus on Luigi's Mansion just like September 2017 Direct with Mario Odyssey.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
September 2017 focused on four different games (4 minutes on Pokémon, 8 minutes on XBC2, 4 minutes on Octopath Traveler, 7 minutes on SMO), and had plenty of other announcements as well.
You're right! But it was marketed as Direct to get the latest news about SMO if I'm not wrong, I think we'll see something similar this year.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You're right! But it was marketed as Direct to get the latest news about SMO if I'm not wrong, I think we'll see something similar this year.
They used this announcement:
Nintendo said:
Tune in at midnight CEST on Thursday 14th September for nearly 45 minutes of information mainly focussed on what's heading to Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS family systems over the next few months, including new details about Super Mario Odyssey for Nintendo Switch.
This is similar to how they worded the February 2019 Direct, actually:
An all-new #NintendoDirect is almost here! Tune in at 10pm (UK time) on Wednesday, 13/02 for roughly 35 minutes of information on upcoming #NintendoSwitch titles, including new details on #FireEmblem: Three Houses.
As we know, that direct didn't have such a huge focus on Fire Emblem (5-6 minutes) and the major announcements were actually SMM2, Link's Awakening and Astral Chain (I find it a big announcement!). Luigi's Mansion is more on the level of Fire Emblem than of SMO, so I expect it to go the February 2019 route rather than the September 2017 route.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
They used this announcement:

This is similar to how they worded the February 2019 Direct, actually:

As we know, that direct didn't have such a huge focus on Fire Emblem (5-6 minutes) and the major announcements were actually SMM2, Link's Awakening and Astral Chain (I find it a big announcement!). Luigi's Mansion is more on the level of Fire Emblem than of SMO, so I expect it to go the February 2019 route rather than the September 2017 route.
Yes, that's what I meant, a Direct to give us the final details on Luigi's Mansion plus new announcements.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Angry Joe's reaction was fucking terrible lol
I gotta say for a YouTube game journalist him and his group are pretty damn clueless. Like try watching their reaction to the Xbox briefing. Hilariously misinformed about almost everything and their hot takes are the worst.

They seem to only care about a very small amount of games/genres and disregard everything else as "filler" and nonsense like that. I just find it funny how people like to shit on ign or kotaku but then listen to these guys who have no idea what they are reporting on.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
People aren't talking enough about how amazing the Link's Awakening sound track is going to be

I was talking about it on Tuesday. It certainly is going for a small and cute feel musically. You can hear this with the way the instruments were recorded/mixed and the way the arrangements are crafted. For example, instead of a massive orchestra of strings, brass, percussion, etc. all playing at once, it seems like they've gone for smaller, almost chamber like arrangements. Not a lot of reverb is used as well. Could be due to the space the instruments were recorded in (for the organic instruments), but it's also certainly a stylistic choice in the mixing stage by the mixing engineer. Even the synthetic elements don't have a lot of reverb. It's very interesting.

I was originally not fully on board with what we heard when the game was first revealed but damn I think it's sounding great from what we've heard at E3. I love the way the overworld theme is sounding. The intro music while you go find your sword is great. The dungeon music also sounds nice. If I'm remembering correctly, Link's Awakening's dungeons all have unique themes. So that will be really cool to discover as we go through them.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly why they should release Prime Trilogy right now.
BOTW gets delayed three times so here's Windwaker HD and Twilight Princess HD to hold you over until then.

Nintendo fucks over Metroid Prime 4 and restarts development. Sorry, nothing for you Metroid fans lol

Like seriously? 2D Metroid is happening but they won't reveal it. MPT is ready and they won't reveal it. It's ridiculous

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I don't think that's true of Luigi - Nintendo seem to be gearing up to treat it as a major release. It was the only title in the E3 Direct to get a detailed look rather than a 60 to 90 second trailer. On top of that, I've read some comments in Luigi's Mansion 3 previews which suggest Nintendo expect this to be a major seller. Fire Emblem games sell 500k to 2 million copies, whereas Luigi's Mansion 2 sold 6 million copies. Without Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 3 is Nintendo's biggest end of year release after Pokemon. It's going to get a big push.

BOTW gets delayed three times so here's Windwaker HD and Twilight Princess HD to hold you over until then.

Nintendo fucks over Metroid Prime 4 and restarts development. Sorry, nothing for you Metroid fans lol

Like seriously? 2D Metroid is happening but they won't reveal it. MPT is ready and they won't reveal it. It's ridiculous
As much as I'd like to see Prime Trilogy HD soon, the release schedule is already busy and there may well be a 2D Metroid in the works for 2020. We had Samus Returns in 2017, too. And, to put it bluntly, Metroid is commercially much smaller than Zelda. Zelda has traditionally sold in the 3 to 8 million range, with Breath of the Wild the obvious outlier. Metroid sometimes struggles to break the million mark.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't think that's true of Luigi - Nintendo seem to be gearing up to treat it as a major release. It was the only title in the E3 Direct to get a detailed look rather than a 60 to 90 second trailer. On top of that, I've read some comments in Luigi's Mansion 3 previews which suggest Nintendo expect this to be a major seller. Fire Emblem games sell 500k to 2 million copies, whereas Luigi's Mansion 2 sold 6 million copies. Without Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 3 is Nintendo's biggest end of year release after Pokemon. It's going to get a big push.
The last Fire Emblem sold 2.84M, the one before that 2.24M Fire Emblem has become much bigger, and FE3H could potentially do 4M imo. Of course, Luigi's Mansion did 3M on GC, and the 3DS entry did 5.75M, so that's really good. I do expect this one to be even bigger, potentially 7-10M. That clearly makes it bigger than Fire Emblem, but it puts it shy of Odyssey by a good margin, and furthermore the ability of 3D Mario to pull in new audiences is much bigger imo. I wouldn't at all disregard the possiblity of it getting a dedicated section in the September Direct - it's basically guaranteed. How long will it be? It depends on the features they have yet to unveil, but I feel like they have unveiled a ton about the game already, so I don't think it will be an 8 minute exposé or anything. But yeah, the discussion drifted a bit, since I originally interpreted the comment as the game (and SMO) having a major share of the Direct whereas the indicated intent was just to say that it will have a dedicated section, which I agree with.

My comment regarding LM3 being more like FE3H than SMO is just that: it skirts the line that is the middle of the two, but comes down just to the FE side because the overall hardware selling potential of LM3 is much lower imo than SMO. It'll still be a big game, and 7M+ is very likely imo.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We didn't see Town at all.

Also with Retro...sadly they didn't show up. I was wonder Imran said they pitched a demo to Nintendo to develop Metroid Prime 4. I'm assuming they did this last year. So what was Retro doing before that? Were they just struggling with a game?

And what would've happened if Metroid Prime 4 DIDN'T have any issues? What if development went great? That means Retro would've never made a pitch. So what does that mean they would've been doing right now? Something doesn't feel right.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was Nintendo's best E3 since 2014. Hands down. Banjo Kazooie and Botw 2 back to back might be the best reveals in Nintendo history.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Surely Nintendo is just sitting on Retro's game, waiting to release it at just the right time.

But we all know they've just been spending time at the grill and nothing else.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Super Mario 3D World and Xenoblade Chronicles X might be stuck on Wii U for a long while yet :(

Or is there still a chance of ports?

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
We didn't see Town at all.

Also with Retro...sadly they didn't show up. I was wonder Imran said they pitched a demo to Nintendo to develop Metroid Prime 4. I'm assuming they did this last year. So what was Retro doing before that? Were they just struggling with a game?

And what would've happened if Metroid Prime 4 DIDN'T have any issues? What if development went great? That means Retro would've never made a pitch. So what does that mean they would've been doing right now? Something doesn't feel right.
I think we almost all agreed that if Retro had a game, it wouldn't had release in 2019.
The only post 2019 game they announced is BOTW 2. They could had announced other 2020 games if they wanted to, they decided to stick to BOTW 2 (and to reveal AC a now 2020 game)
I still have some hope. Won't be mad if nothing never happen, but I won't be surprised if their game gets revealed at TGA or the january 2020 direct.
I know so far all their brand new game got revealed at E3, but it's not a rule set in stone.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm surprised by AC's delay. While I am absolutely not trying to throw any shade on the game's intrinsic qualities, what we know from it and what we've seen from the upcoming game doesn't strike me as particularly ambitious from a technical point of view (which, from my understanding, is the usual reason for a game to be delayed).

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
My predictions on 2020-2021 releases:

2020:
SPRING- Animal Crossing (confirmed)
SPRING - Mario Golf (September Direct reveal)
FALL - Bayonetta 3 (will be revealed in September or during VGA)
FALL - Pikmin 4 (March reveal)
WINTER- Super Mario Odyssey 2 (revealed during VGA)

2021:
SPRING - Mario Kart 9
SUMMER - Paper Mario
SUMMER - Xenoblade Sequel
FALL - Breath of the Wild 2
WINTER - Metroid Prime 3

2021 gonna be lit

I'll take a go at this :D

2020:
SPRING- Animal Crossing
SPRING - Pokémon Snap 2 (Labo VR Compatible)
SUMMER - Mario Strikers
FALL - Reimagining of Dillon's Rolling Western (Open-world action adventure)
WINTER - Bayonetta 3
WINTER - Super Mario Galaxy 3

2021:
SPRING - WarioTaxi (WarioWare x Crazy Taxi)
SPRING - Kid Icarus Uprising HD
SUMMER - Breath of the Wild 2
FALL - Pikmin 4
FALL - Super Mario Party 2
WINTER - Metroid Prime 4

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised by AC's delay. While I am absolutely not trying to throw any shade on the game's intrinsic qualities, what we know from it and what we've seen from the upcoming game doesn't strike me as particularly ambitious from a technical point of view (which, from my understanding, is the usual reason for a game to be delayed).
I suspect it's a human resources issue since the team is effectively split between Splatoon and Animal Crossing. I wouldn't be surprised if early work on the next Splatoon game, whether it's Splatoon 3 or some kind of spin off, diverted enough staff to make a delay necessary.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
My predictions on 2020-2021 releases:

2020:
SPRING- Animal Crossing (confirmed)
SPRING - Mario Golf (September Direct reveal)
FALL - Bayonetta 3 (will be revealed in September or during VGA)
FALL - Pikmin 4 (March reveal)
WINTER- Super Mario Odyssey 2 (revealed during VGA)

2021:
SPRING - Mario Kart 9
SUMMER - Paper Mario
SUMMER - Xenoblade Sequel
FALL - Breath of the Wild 2
WINTER - Metroid Prime 3

2021 gonna be lit
Spring- animal crossin
Summer- Botw 2
Winter- Super Mario odyssey 2

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I think botw2 is a holiday 2020 title. Zelda development basically wrapped up end 2016. 4 years is more than enough time to get the sequel ready which uses the same engine and gameplay style. They are even reusing the same map (probably with a lot of changes of course).

WarioWare
Bayonetta 3
Metroid 2D
Pikmin 4

All seem likely releases for 2020.

I think the one of the Splatoon, Mario Kart or Mario teams might have something to release. We're also due for a Rhythm Heaven or Paper Mario Sequel. Mario and Luigi could be a thing too. Then there's also the new Monolith IP, although that could slip to 2021 if its ambitious. There's also the Ubisoft collaboration and 2020 should see the release of a Octopath Traveler sequel. The 2020 lineup has lots of potential.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
If it took 4 years for the next Zelda and they recycle the map, even part of the map, I will be extremely pissed. The main reason I love BOTW was the beautiful map to discover; once you remove this aspect, the game's flaws are much more apparent.
Nintendo and Aonuma are smart enough to avoid recycling the map. I hope...

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
If it took 4 years for the next Zelda and they recycle the map, even part of the map, I will be extremely pissed. The main reason I love BOTW was the beautiful map to discover; once you remove this aspect, the game's flaws are much more apparent.
Nintendo and Aonuma are smart enough to avoid recycling the map. I hope...
Getting pissed over a game, oh no.

Might as well get pissed now and get it over with then.

Oct 27, 2017
You aren't kidding, that music is fantastic.
Its funny cuz i rmr when this game was annouced some fans panicked thinking itll be baby like music. Now suddenly im reading constantly how good the music sounds
Although im not surprised,i find zelda fans are particular panic way too quickly on things(like the famous "no towns in BOtW" or now some persons assuming BOTW 2 will have the same hyrule with minimal changes)

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Spring- animal crossin
Summer- Botw 2
Winter- Super Mario odyssey 2

BOTW 2 (if it does come out in 2020) has to be a Holiday title, not that predicting Nintendo's decisions ever works, but it seems likely they'll want something big to contend with the PS5/Project Scarlett

I think botw2 is a holiday 2020 title. Zelda development basically wrapped up end 2016. 4 years is more than enough time to get the sequel ready which uses the same engine and gameplay style. They are even reusing the same map (probably with a lot of changes of course).

Don't forget the DLC (not sure how much of the team worked on it), so 3-3 1/2 years development seems more likely

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
So E3 Direct is over and now waiting for September Direct begins.

Seriously, I definitely expecting Nintendo will announce at least one Wii/WiiU port in September Direct.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So E3 Direct is over and now waiting for September Direct begins.

Seriously, I definitely expecting Nintendo will announce at least one Wii/WiiU port in September Direct.

I think they might also be saving a big new game or third party port for when they announce the revisions. Right now all they have for October, November and December is Doom Eternal and Pokemon.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least, Q1 will not be empty next year. Animal Crossing, Gods & Monster and Trials of Mana are basically already confirmed for Q1.

Status
Not open for further replies.