• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Not making Wave Racer or F-Zero is not "not listening to the fans", it's that they want to make money.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably going to say something that's going to get me banned if I have to keep reading this lol. I don't like to put people on ignore.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has to loosen their control on Mario if they really want to rejuvenate the RPG side. As long as they restrict characters to those created in Super Mario Bros., it's challenging to get the most out of the genre.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
After a good E3, most Nintendo fans are satisfied and leave the general discussions for a while. And what else to fill the vacuum left behind than zany theories about how Nintendo operates?

EDIT: used less offensive adjective for the theories; like Dark Cloud, I'm not tryna cop a ban here

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Even though Mario and Luigi and Paper Mario have obvious differences, I can understand that Nintendo sees redundant having two Mario RPG in the same system

It's as if there were Mario Tennis and Mario Badminton.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Not making Wave Racer or F-Zero is not "not listening to the fans", it's that they want to make money.

Making games that make more money is not "listening to the fans" either. It's listening to the market.

After a good E3, most Nintendo fans are satisfied and leave the general discussions for a while. And what else to fill the vacuum left behind than batshit insane theories about how Nintendo operates?

Why are those hostile comments? Whenever someone talks negative about someone's favorite series, this happens. Calm, down, it's just my own theory, I could be wrong or right but I'm not obliged to agree with die hard Paper Mario fans here.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
That's exactly what I said to someone on this thread two days ago, complaining about how Nintendo doesn't hear the fans because "where the heck is F-Zero, Mother and Punch Out then ?" that's what he replied to me :
"What does that have to do with what I want ?"
Lmao, they don't care if it bombs hard, they just want it.
If Nintendo doesn't listen to the 1000 fans of F-Zero still alive it just means they don't care about all their fans, period.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Making games that make more money is not "listening to the fans" either. It's listening to the market.

Why are those hostile comments? Whenever someone talks negative about someone's favorite series, this happens. Calm, down, it's just my own theory, I could be wrong or right but I'm not obliged to agree with die hard Paper Mario fans here.
But if you have one thing that satisfies 10 fans and another thing that satisfies 100 fans, it is better to listen to the seconds.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I edited, like, IMMEDIATELY. I dunno how you ninja'd that one.

Anyway, listening to fans is done to strengthen sales and public mindshare in already successful brands. For instance, Luigi's Mansion wasn't struggling, but they made it better aligned to fan expectations to secure both better immediate sales and strengthen the brand. Changes to Paper Mario would be along these lines.

Meanwhile, F-ZERO and Wave Race aren't comparable, because they are ENTIRE PROJECTS demanded by a demonstrably tiny audience. Listen, I adore F-ZERO and Paper Mario does nothing for me, but to compare them is absurd.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, yes, how could Nintendo not acquiesce to all that 3D Kirby demand that exists.

What poor listeners.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
But if you have one thing that satisfies 10 fans and another thing that satisfies 100 fans, it is better to listen to the seconds.

That's exactly what I'm telling. Should Intelligent System's next game be another Fire Emblem or Paper Mario? Which one has the "10 fans" and which one "100 fans" here?

Meanwhile, F-ZERO and Wave Race aren't comparable, because they are ENTIRE PROJECTS demanded by a demonstrably tiny audience. Listen, I adore F-ZERO and Paper Mario does nothing for me, but to compare them is absurd.

I actually was comparing Paper Mario and Fire Emblem. F-Zero was an example how Nintendo chooses series that make money instead of series that has die hard fan demand. Nintendo would choose Intelligent System's next project like that. As soon as they're completely done with Three Houses, they should move on to next FE game instead of Paper Mario, which should be out in 2021 at earliest. I'm saying that a new Paper Mario is pretty much impossible unless Nintendo find abother studio to helm the series.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
As soon as they're completely done with Three Houses, they should move on to next FE game instead of Paper Mario, which should be out in 2021 at earliest.
[JOKE] Have you heard the tale of New Super Mario Bros? It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. [/JOKE]

But in all seriousness I'm done here. You could be right, who knows? What I do know is that I'm not about to stress myself out arguing about two video game series that I don't even care about

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
That's exactly what I'm telling. Should Intelligent System's next game be another Fire Emblem or Paper Mario? Which one has the "10 fans" and which one "100 fans" here?

I actually was comparing Paper Mario and Fire Emblem. F-Zero was an example how Nintendo chooses series that make money instead of series that has die hard fan demand. Nintendo would choose Intelligent System's next project like that. As soon as they're completely done with Three Houses, they should move on to next FE game instead of Paper Mario, which should be out in 2021 at earliest. I'm saying that a new Paper Mario is pretty much impossible unless Nintendo find abother studio to helm the series.
Bad example, they are made by different teams. However if you compare Fire Emblem with Advance Wars, then unless they reinvent Advance Wars, they should choose Fire Emblem.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Nintendo should have abandoned Fire Emblem when it sold two copies on the Wii in favor of Paper Mario which was doing much better at the time.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want Super Mario RPG 2 at this point. Both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi feel completely squandered and dried out.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It took a paper Mario game that is pretty much reviled for even one fire emblem game (fates) to pass it on the same console, and even then neither echoes nor awakening could do it.

If they made a paper Mario RPG on switch it would in all likelihood significantly outperform any fire emblem on the same console.

Not that it matters because they're not even the same teams working on the games!

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Let's pray that we've got enough actual new Switch games on the docket that we don't need any more Wii U ports.
I see what you mean but those would technically be new games to most Switch owners.
I think the same thing of you. A good Paper Mario? Odyssey 2 and BotW 2 in 2020? Come on. Those people just said that they're against crunch culture.
I think the logic behind direct sequels of those games is that they could reuse assets to get the game(s) out quicker and not have to crunch.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tbh why even work on any other games when mario kart will clearly outsell all of them? just put all teams on mario kart

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would be special about Super Mario RPG 2? The people who made Super Mario RPG make Mario and Luigi.

SMRPG and M&L are two different beasts. SMRPG plays a lot more like a traditional RPG whereas Mario & Luigi is all about bouncing around to avoid attacks and overlong special attacks.

Plus the former would have Geno and Mallow.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SMRPG and M&L are two different beasts. SMRPG plays a lot more like a traditional RPG whereas Mario & Luigi is all about bouncing around to avoid attacks and overlong special attacks.

No they wouldn't. Every game switches the party up. I highly doubt they would be in the game.

Oct 26, 2017
Super Paper Mario was a good game. I actually liked the 2D to 3D switching.
I agree. I actually like it more than the original Paper Mario

Those involved special attacks and being able to dodge and counter your opponents attacks are what makes the games great and, if you ask me, infinitely better than SMRPG

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Maybe I'm wrong but I would swear that the only Intelligent Systems series that overlap each other were Fire Emblem / Advance Wars (Advance Wars sold terribly bad and died)

If SMRPG2 were made today it absolutely would have Geno. He's too ingrained into that game's identity.

I'm sure that today more people know Geno for his non-presence in Smash Bros than for the original game.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Paper Mario has regularly sold more than Fire Emblem, actually (top was Wii with over 4M). It's more a 50/50 than anything else. But as Glio said, they are different teams, so not really in competition for resources in such a direct manner.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I actually like it more than the original Paper Mario

Those involved special attacks and being able to dodge and counter your opponents attacks are what makes the games great and, if you ask me, infinitely better than SMRPG

Mario & Luigi is a great series but it's also gotten way too bloated with the last two games, and even with Partners in Time. It's not sleek and simple like Superstar Saga was anymore, and there's too much busywork that goes into each special attack.

I'd like an evolution of SMRPG's combat system without losing the simplicity.

Oct 26, 2017
Mario & Luigi is a great series but it's also gotten way too bloated with the last two games, and even with Partners in Time. It's not sleek and simple like Superstar Saga was anymore, and there's too much busywork that goes into each special attack.

I'd like an evolution of SMRPG's combat system without losing the simplicity.
Nowadays, I'll absolutely agree with that. Paper Jam was pretty disappointing and, while I liked Dream Team, it had its issues. I think, due to not wanting to rehash the series, they're just trying to make each entry stand out with different ideas and gimmicks. In a case like this, I think going back to the basics and going with different characters or maybe even a new IP would be for the best. Still, I'm cautiously optimistic with what they're gonna put out on the Switch

I can see the appeal

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Bad example, they are made by different teams. However if you compare Fire Emblem with Advance Wars, then unless they reinvent Advance Wars, they should choose Fire Emblem.
What ? So what do you think Paper Mario leads are going to work on ? Somehow everyone at IntSys is going to work on Fire Emblem ? IntSys suddenly becomes a one game studio ? Come on now lmao

This is no 3DS anymore. IntSys is a mid sized studio of 150 people. I think a game of Three Houses's size would require all the manpower. I don't think there are two separate teams anymore. It's much bigger than anything they have ever done.

But this is the whole problem with Switch isn't it. People are expecting 3DS level first party output from Nintendo. Big games like BotW 2 and Odyssey 2 should be out in just 2 years, other studios should take up 2 big projects like FE and Paper Mario at the same time, Nintendo should not have huge gaps between two first party games like we had this year (Yoshi-Mario Maker gap), Animal Crossing should not get delayed and Pokémon SwSh should contain 3D models of ALL pokémon. These are super unrealistic expectations. Switch is not 3DS and Nintendo do not employ superhumans. This is the HD generation, it's totally normal for first party output to be smaller than previous gens, especially compared to what we had on 3DS.

I still think Intelligent systems will focus solely on Fire Emblem in the future and make no game beside that. I could be wrong but that's what I believe. We'll see.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This is no 3DS anymore. IntSys is a mid sized studio of 150 people. I think a game of Three Houses's size would require all the manpower. I don't think there are two separate teams anymore. It's much bigger than anything they have ever done.

But this is the whole problem with Switch isn't it. People are expecting 3DS level first party output from Nintendo. Big games like BotW 2 and Odyssey 2 should be out in just 2 years, other studios should take up 2 big projects like FE and Paper Mario at the same time, Nintendo should not have huge gaps between two first party games like we had this year (Yoshi-Mario Maker gap), Animal Crossing should not get delayed and Pokémon SwSh should contain 3D models of ALL pokémon. These are super unrealistic expectations. Switch is not 3DS and Nintendo do not employ superhumans. This is the HD generation, it's totally normal for first party output to be smaller than previous gens, especially compared to what we had on 3DS.

I still think Intelligent systems will focus solely on Fire Emblem in the future and make no game beside that. I could be wrong but that's what I believe. We'll see.
And that's why they collaborate with Koei Tecmo.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nowadays, I'll absolutely agree with that. Paper Jam was pretty disappointing and, while I liked Dream Team, it had its issues. I think, due to not wanting to rehash the series, they're just trying to make each entry stand out with different ideas and gimmicks. In a case like this, I think going back to the basics and going with different characters or maybe even a new IP would be for the best. Still, I'm cautiously optimistic with what they're gonna put out on the Switch

I can see the appeal

Like I think SMRPG's gameplay still really holds up? Timed hits are emblematic to Mario RPGs, but then instead of doing all these minigames you just have charges, button mashing and pad rotating to do specials. You time a block correctly and you take half damage and with precise timing none at all, but there's magic attacks that can't be blocked so you can't cheese the game.

SMRPG is still my favourite of the bunch so if we got a sequel that was a little more challenging I'd be all over it.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I remember someone saying (on the old forum when everything broke down and people were leaving) that little mac almost made it in ARMS but ultimately didn't "for a good reason". I wonder what that was. I always assumed a punch out would eventually come out but that was more than a year and half ago.

Edit: found it. Well, he was very much wrong about everything. I still hope punch out is coming though. Would make for a nice 40 Euros title to release early next year.

-A sequel to a 3DS game is coming to Switch. Remember what was said about new character inclusion for Smash.
-Netflix (but not Hulu) is coming Q1. Announcement will be tied with a Netflix-produced show.
-Themes will arrive with a Dec. 25 update. Free if you own the game or amiibo.
-Metroid Prime 4 will have a subtitle that people know, Q4 at the earliest. First footage in January Direct.
-Little Mac was almost in ARMS. There's a reason he's not.
-A new spinoff is coming exclusively to the eShop using assets from a game already released

That's all I've got.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018
I remember someone saying (on the old forum when everything broke down and people were leaving) that little mac almost made it in ARMS but ultimately didn't "for a good reason". I wonder what that was. I always assumed a punch out would eventually come out but that was more than a year and half ago.

Perhaps "the good reason" is, that he wouldn't fit the rest of the character designs in ARMS :P

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

You mean this?

Pretty sure ElectricBlanketFire later clarifed that none of this was real.

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just wanted to say. The e3 was good. But i think you cant expect e3 again like in the early days. Nintendo spread the announcement over the whole year. Not only at e3 anymore. So it would impossible to surprise us with many games. Also development getting longer as before. People expect more.

Oct 26, 2017
Like I think SMRPG's gameplay still really holds up? Timed hits are emblematic to Mario RPGs, but then instead of doing all these minigames you just have charges, button mashing and pad rotating to do specials. You time a block correctly and you take half damage and with precise timing none at all, but there's magic attacks that can't be blocked so you can't cheese the game.

SMRPG is still my favourite of the bunch so if we got a sequel that was a little more challenging I'd be all over it.
I'd say it's turn based combat holds up fine but I find actually making my way through the game to be a bit off with the isometric camera. Still, combat wise, I won't lie that I find it the weakest out of the three, at least at their peak. I find it to be too simple compared to the other Mario RPGs and it doesn't have the style or smoothness the others offer. Certainly not bad but I feel like it'd need a fair amount of additions to really do much for me

Well you're far from alone there and, in all honesty, I don't find that to be too unlikely to happen. We get random revivals all the time. I hope you get yours

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is Paper Mario a "side project"? How the hell does that even make sense. Its consistently outsold Fire Emblem counterparts since its incarnation. It's a mainline staple Nintendo series. We got one on N64 then GameCube then Wii. Last gen it was so big that they made one for 3DS and an HD game for Wii U. Yes, they were able to make two games with one being an HD game.

The next mainline Paper Mario game will come 2020 or 2021 the latest. They've been working on it for years. They've had HD experience. Fire Emblem Three Houses didn't change anything. Fire Emblem has gained popularity from 3DS.

A Paper Mario game that returns to form will outsell Fire Emblem Three Houses. I'll take the bet on it.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to say. The e3 was good. But i think you cant expect e3 again like in the early days. Nintendo spread the announcement over the whole year. Not only at e3 anymore. So it would impossible to surprise us with many games. Also development getting longer as before. People expect more.
which early days?
Even with quarterly directs, this E3 direct was better than the majority of the live press conferences

My brother and I watched a lot of E3 conferences leading up this year.

The revered e3 2004 had a sales guy on stage for literally 15 minutes trying to use weird graphs to show Gamecube was doing well lol.
Each year had random grandiose speeches with no real meaning.

People's selective memory is tricking them into thinking the live shows were good.
it sounds harsh, but they really weren't.
Some were more like GDC talks for Devs than anything. Sony 2005 and 2006 were brutal. 2005 moreso, it was a huge tech presentation with PPT slides that an average consumer would not understand. At least 70-80 minutes of it. Tech talk.
I mean it's on youtube if anyone is curious

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
How is Paper Mario a "side project"? How the hell does that even make sense. Its consistently outsold Fire Emblem counterparts since its incarnation. It's a mainline staple Nintendo series. We got one on N64 then GameCube then Wii. Last gen it was so big that they made one for 3DS and an HD game for Wii U. Yes, they were able to make two games with one being an HD game.

The past Paper Mario games were not side projects. As others said, Intelligent Systems had two teams. All of their titles were equal projects, FE, WarioWare and Paper Mario.

But a possible future Paper Mario would be a "side project" as even what IntSys have is not enough for them, they required assistance from Omega Force for Three Houses even. I think a remake of an older game is more plausible for Paper Mario, it wouldn't require much manpower and it still would be considered as "real Paper Mario" compared to past two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.