• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
This argument is so entitled I don't even know where to start.
We've had this discussion on the next gen threads IIRC, you've paid money to buy a console for its current and known library, not undefined future library. This is why console sales pick up over time, and launch sales are always going to hardcore gamers who can tolerate more uncertainty.
I know it's in vogue to call people entitled, but the nature of the console business and how companies like Nintendo operate as "let's be secretive about everything", absolutely creates a sentiment that you purchase hardware with the expectation of future announcements. If the gaming industry was normal and just announced things being worked on like the film industry, then we wouldn't have this issue. To say that as a consumer it's entitled to expect games for your hardware seems silly. Maybe if Nintendo was some tiny company sure, but they are a multi-million dollar enterprise sitting on a mountain of gold that doesn't really need excuses made for them.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Was pretty disappointing considering how long it's been since a general Direct. Wish they had at least announced one big new first party game or showed BotW2. Don't understand why they shadow dropped this Direct.
I don't think it helped that they also ended the Direct with Pokemon and then gave almost no new info on the expansion. Would have been a great time to show another new Pokemon or form... unless we're not getting anymore beyond the Legendary and Slowpoke/Slowbro....
Also the total lack of any Wii U port announcements is weird.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Not really, since all the games have integrated ai opponents that'd be more than a fair price
Yeah, I suppose that's true. It's more that when I think about what I can get for $40, I think of games of a totally different scope. Obviously here it's the insane quantity that makes up for it, but still...
I do think it looks good, and it would be fun to have all of those games together. It depends on the reviews and how fleshed out the individual games are.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Remind me please ... what months did Astral Chain and Fire Emblem release last year?

Hint: The answer covers months after June (E³ Direct) and before September. ;]

lol, Nintendo will NEVER announce new big games in June and will release them in July or August then. This will not happen. The earliest release dates for games that are announced in mid-june will be the end of september, mark my words! (beside of small eShop-Releases and stuff like that)

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm now 100% sure that the pandemic has affected Nintendo's calendar, while it's a shame, it's inevitable.

Deleted member 59

Remind me please ... what months did Astral Chain and Fire Emblem release last year?

Hint: The answer covers months after June (E³ Direct) and before September. ;]

The difference being that those titles were announced before March of 2019! I can understand where the poster is coming from with their fear.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So basically we get ports of every PS360 game and early 2000 PC titles now? What a waste of time.
But man Xenoblade is such a gem. I might actually replay that one. Would have been nice to see something from BotW2 or another more anticipated game.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
lol, Nintendo will NEVER announce new big games in June and will release them in July or August then. This will not happen. The earliest release dates for games that are announced in mid-june will be the end of september, mark my words! (beside of small eShop-Releases and stuff like that)

Okay, i'll do that. Normally i don't come back to old posts with a "GOTCHA", but if Nintendo releases a game prior to September that we don't know about as of this post, then i will do.

The difference being that those titles were announced before March of 2019! I can understand where the poster is coming from with their fear.

Their fear is only understandable if you're expecting AAA Nintendo games every two months. That's not happening. A small to mid scale title announced at the lastest in a June Direct can absolutely launch prior to September.

WaterBen

Apr 4, 2019
Seems like no one wants to commit to dates or start the marketing for any big release during this time.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's in vogue to call people entitled, but the nature of the console business and how companies like Nintendo operate as "let's be secretive about everything", absolutely creates a sentiment that you purchase hardware with the expectation of future announcements. If the gaming industry was normal and just announced things being worked on like the film industry, then we wouldn't have this issue. To say that as a consumer it's entitled to expect games for your hardware seems silly. Maybe if Nintendo was some tiny company sure, but they are a multi-million dollar enterprise sitting on a mountain of gold that doesn't really need excuses made for them.

1) the games actually announced are all good and there's a wide variety of them hitting many types of games, which is what we want to see
2) while your expectations may play a role in how you receive an announcement, it has very little bearing to reality
3) the entitlement comes from the fact paying to buy a hard ware entitles you to get exactly what you want all the time. That is not going to happen, and on the wider context of things, we've gotten a lot of things we want, so if this direct didn't do it for you, it doesn't entitle you to make the argument you made.

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
As a RPG fan, this was great.

I was expecting Xenoblade info, but I didn't expect to see Bravely Default 2, and specially didn't expect a demo.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
"Why the Mini Direct that started with a warning about COVID-19 having a impact on game releases didn't feature games far away from release?"

Right? I said it earlier...again this was obviously just to push the third party stuff thats already in the pipeline. Nintendo is obviously being conservative with their internal projects right now due to COVID-19

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm now 100% sure that the pandemic has affected Nintendo's calendar, while it's a shame, it's inevitable.

It'll affect everyone's calendar however it's not going to have seriously affected April and may. Those games like xenoblade will have been winding down development before the real effects of needing to e.g. lockdown hit. Nintendo probably expects animal crossing to do the heavy lifting through April with its event and update, which is probably fairly reasonable assumption.

Also oh my god a bravely default 2 demo, can't wait for when I'll have time to play that.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Okay, i'll do that. Normally i don't come back to old posts with a "GOTCHA", but if Nintendo releases a game prior to September that we don't know about as of this post, then i will do.

Their fear is only understandable if you're expecting AAA Nintendo games every two months. That's not happening. A small to mid scale title announced at the lastest in a June Direct can absolutely launch prior to September.

MAYBE they will release a WiiU-Port in August, thats the only game I could still see to happen. But they will (for example) never release a game like new Paper Mario or Splatoon Spin-off or stuff like this so early if they are only announced in mid-june. In the past, Nintendo has even announced WiiU-Ports four months or more before release.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Some people need to take 10ccs of chill stat. This was LITERALLY titled Nintendo Direct MINI so anyone expecting huge annoucements pressing play on the video today were deluding themselves.

People were clammoring (petulently demanding) for a direct and they get one nd just proceed to hate on the offerings. The entitlement never ends in gaming culture.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Wow. They even positioned this as a "Mini" and people still moaning? It's wild to me how dissonant my feelings on the gaming industry can be compared to the general vibe sometimes, but even still I'm pretty surprised at how many people weren't into this one.

For me, it was fire from end to end. I can't even recall the number of games I'm interested in -- Xenoblade, Bravely II, Borderlands, weird new Nintendo game out today (Good Job!), Catherine, Panzer Dragoon and new Capcom shadow drops to start. Just an interesting variety of solid-looking games wall-to-wall for a half hour to get us to summer (and it's already April, fer fuck's sake). That's cool to me.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Some people need to take 10ccs of chill stat. This was LITERALLY titled Nintendo Direct MINI so anyone expecting huge annoucements pressing play on the video today were deluding themselves.

People were clammoring (petulently demanding) for a direct and they get one nd just proceed to hate on the offerings. The entitlement never ends in gaming culture.
Smash Ultimate was announced in a Mini. Mini doesn't mean no big announcements.
It's also been half a year since the last general Direct.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
That was one of the most lacklustre Directs I've seen in awhile. Most of the game we knew were coming out. I wanted to see at least 1 or 2 games coming in Q4 or something that's in the works.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

This and the world is messed right now .
They've been radio silent for over half a year.

It's almost like there's a global pandemic going on that delayed their plans so they put out this mini.

Just the usual entitlement in most Direct threads.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this was a very mini direct.

Excited for Bravely Default II and Xenoblade, but it would have been nice to hear about a new upcoming game as well. I guess it's going to be a pretty light year for Nintendo.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
that 51 Worldwide Games looked like a surprisingly great party game but i was kinda disappointed when i saw that it's £35 on the store. Burnout Paradise was also a nice surprise, but here's hoping it isn't ridiculously marked up in price on the Switch when it's regularly going for about £8 on the PS4 (who am i kidding?)

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Was pretty disappointing considering how long it's been since a general Direct. Wish they had at least announced one big new first party game or showed BotW2. Don't understand why they shadow dropped this Direct.
I don't think it helped that they also ended the Direct with Pokemon and then gave almost no new info on the expansion. Would have been a great time to show another new Pokemon or form... unless we're not getting anymore beyond the Legendary and Slowpoke/Slowbro....
Also the total lack of any Wii U port announcements is weird.

Nintendo don't usually release WII U ports this late in the year. They're almost always Q1 games outside the Switch launched year maybe a game 2018 I don't remember.

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
A litttleeee rude to announce an update to Ring Fit considering no one can buy one right now (for less than $250). But this Direct was nice. Excited to have an Arms character in Smash--I think that's a great choice for a new player. I want to try out the free demo sometime soon too.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Just the usual entitlement in most Direct threads.
Yeah, they even had the initial COVID reminder at the start and called it a Mini Direct.
No big company is announcing their tentpole titles right now while not knowing how the next couple weeks will look like and retailers like GameStop being shut down.

Its so obvious...yet for some reason people thought Nintendo doesnt operate in this world facing a pandemic right now.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Famicom Detective Club 1st party?
The latter is a first party franchise. As for Shiren, yes it's 3rd party, but I think it's fair to say that it is notable enough to warrant Nintendo stepping up to make sure it's a global announcement. Particularly when their own titles are kind of MIA right now.
none of the games in the quoted tweet are by Nintendo. I was responding to the idea it's backwards to announce JP-only games but since those are out of nintendo's hands, I don't see it as backwards

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yeah, they even had the initial COVID reminder at the start and called it a Mini Direct.
No big company is announcing their tentpole titles right now while not knowing how the next couple weeks will look like and retailers like GameStop being shut down.

Its so obvious...yet for some reason people thought Nintendo doesnt operate in this world facing a pandemic right now.
It really upsets me, but I need to force myself to look away from the screen (and this site) when I see people being negative for the sake of it.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Just disappointed at no Pikmin 3. Seriously, where is it lmao it was already supposed to release last year ! Is the new solo content still not ready ?
Other than that, the 51 games is a big deal. Bring more casual stuff. Nintendogs next.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You got Bravely Default 2 demo, Xeno blade release, new smash character, two new events for AC in a month and more.

People can be ridiculous sometimes.

how exciting, we also didnt get new first party games announced which is what weve been waiting for since september. Its ridiculous that you cant fathom why people are disappointed