• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty solid direct. While there are no particularly large new announcements, it's got a little of everything (though barely any indie presence, presumably due to the recent Indie world), a bunch of demos, and a shadowdrop. I admit I'll never understand why Nintendo announces, or in this case doesn't announce, directs sometimes.

Unsurprisingly Xenoblade is coming out on the leaked date, though I'm a little disappointed by the UI, I was expecting a bigger overhaul there. I look forward to playing it but not until my work situation is figured out.

Animal Crossing's Bunny day event looks good, though I'm disappointed there doesn't appear to be an April Fool's event, unless it's going to be a surprise. Hopefully Earth Day gives Leif something substantial to do if that's all he's going to be relegated to.

The Ring Fit Adventure update looks awesome. Can't wait to try out some of those songs

Interesting that they've announced that the next Smash fighter is from Arms. I think it's safe to say it won't be Spring Man given the way they announced it and his presence as an AT. I'm hoping for Min Min but I'm sure they'll choose a good one.

Bravely Default 2 looks pretty nice and the music sounds great. Looking forward to trying out the demo

It's neat that Clubhouse games is returning, I'm sure some players will get a lot out of that

I still don't get how Ninjala plays, but since it's free I suppose I'll try it

Panzer Dragoon Remake today is a nice shadowdrop.

The Pokemon expansion pass stuff looks nice I suppose

Oct 25, 2017
wow that's all they got presumably until june? this is half 1? half 1 switch 2020 is a dumpster in the desert
but hey I'm in for ep1 racer I guess that game rocks

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
So, really hope Nintendo has meaty announcements to make around June because it looks like an horrible year so far.

It's nice to see Bravely 2 coming but everything else are remasters of games out for years. Nice for people that only owned nintendo consoles but the rest of us already finished those games multiple times.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
I had no expectation, and I still ended up being disappointed. I'm getting Bioshock so I'll finally get to play it, XBC so I can play it and then play XBC2 right after it, but that's it. I wonder how different it would have been without this damn pandemic.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, the Pikmin 3 and M3DW ports have been a thorn in insiders side for over a year. They keep teasing it and Nintendo isn't releasing them LOL!

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Just watched the whole thing. There were some cool announcements. Really interested in seeing what is gonna happen with the arms smash fighter

Darrilium

Jan 3, 2020
We're almost into April. E3 season is right around the corner so they will be keeping their heavy hitting announcements / first gameplay reveals for closer to June/July time and a full traditional E3 Direct.

Sony and MS have yet to blow their load showing what the new consoles can do too so Nintendo will be strategically waiting for that buzz to die down before showing their cards for this year so they're not overshadowed.
If they truly had anything substantial, they'd have released a Direct in February.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Panzer Dragoon and the Bravely Default Demo being dropped today makes this Direct worth it for me.

Burnout Paradise is nice, too.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Well, nothing mindblowing... but a lot of mildly neat stuff, including 4 games that are apparently releasing on my birthday. lol

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
New epilogue for Xenoblade, now i need to replay it. But i will wait for a good sale for this one.

XCOM2 is a must have. I'm sure the performance won't be up to snuff but being able to play it portably... yeah i need it.

Wow didn't think we would get an Arms fighter for Smash. That makes me hopeful we will get someone from XBC2.

Bravely Default 2 looks amazing. Can't wait to play it. Sad we didn't get a release date but we got a demo at least.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Weirdest Direct drop ever.
2020 still looks bleak despite insiders saying it would be amazing starting April.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It was composed mainly of ports of games that have been on older platforms for years.

I don't know I was hoping for more from the first Direct in forever. The lack of first party stuff was a bummer
Its still what they are releasing the next couple months - if thats not your tea, thats fine but you are acting like they have new first party big guns that are releasing in the next two months they didnt include in the Direct.

They have console and software shortages right now and the world economy is facing some massive challenges right now - they were never going to show off their massive Holiday titles in the current environment. No one is doing that, dont know why you think Nintendo would be any different.

COVID delayed announcements and unveiling for all big publishers and plattform holders.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Good Job was the only reveal I found myself interested in -- now there's a hilarious concept for ragdoll physics.

Other than that...well, it's still appreciated, but aside from the ARMS/Smash tease, I was hoping we'd see another Nintendo title or two.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
This was very very bad. No single new announcement from Nintendo, not even a small eShop-Title or a WiiU-Port. This is ridicolous and even under corona-conditions very poorly.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Happy that Atlus announced their best game for Switch.

Sad that they announced an update to Ring Fit while it's impossible to buy.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
images2.jpg

At least it looks like Monolith Soft didn't butcher Xenoblade.

ZaddyMattty

Dec 4, 2017
New York City
For us turn based strategy and JRPG lovers it was a lot better than most, but outside of that it was pretty meh. I wish they would tease us, I just want something to be excited about and talk about.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think Nate is pretty high on the tier list right now ;P

EDIT: I actually really enjoyed this Direct. Kinda surprised everyone's down on it

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I will never not lose my mind whenever there's anything Xenoblade related in a direct. I was almost in tears! I can't wait!

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've got no issues with the Direct. Nice to have some news and there is more than enough on the platform to keep busy with. Also, if they can add content to the OG Xenoblade, how about we get some expanded story to Xenoblade X. Do it!

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It was a pretty good mini imo. I liked:

• Bravely Default 2: looking great, hope it will release soonish as well. But judging by the fact that they are gathering feedback, it'll probably release closer to the end of the year.
  • XCOM 2: Yeah boy, hoped this would happen! Looking forward to it, did we get a date?
  • Panzer Dragoon shadow drop is a nice surprise, but I'm currently playing FETH and the BD2 demo, so no time to get it right now unfortunately.
  • XBCDE coming May 29, as expected. It looks beautiful, can't wait! XBC2 is still a top three Switch game for me.
Overall, a good mini direct. Does beg the question what Nintendo is releasing beyond May, though.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. Average. Good to have a date for Xenoblade. They are probably saving their big guns.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Ring Fit Adventure updates were the biggest news to me here. I suppose I'll play Xenoblade at some point too, but I'm in no hurry as I've already played the original.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Pretty clear that the focus was on the next 3 months, as I hypothesised earlier today (boy that sentence sounds pretentious). Against the weight of expectations, and with so little known about later this year, that's going to look bad to a lot of people. I'd agree it's not a strong Direct, but I'll withhold judgement on later this year purely because we don't know what is going to happen.

Personally, I'm happy Catherine and Bioshock are confirmed, I'm interested in some of the eShop games being dropped, I'm really happy Panzer Dragoon is launching today, I'm really liking the look of Bravely Default 2, an epilogue and a vinyl soundtrack for Xenoblade was a real positive for me.

That being said, there's no mistaking this is a 'holding pattern' Direct. It wouldn't surprise me if first-party titles have been pushed out of Q2 and into the second half of the year due to Covid-19 uncertainty. Jeff was pretty on the ball here and he said 2 weeks ago Nintendo were in the final stages of putting the Direct together - which means decisions were made very recently about what software they were going to discuss. 95% of content in that Direct will be out in the next 3 months - with Bravely 2 and Burnout the exceptions.

Nintendo are quite clearly holding off now until things become clearer. I wonder if Emily will say anything on Twitter or if Nate knows of any internal delays happening? Clearly better informed than we are, but this Q2 is absolutely Switch's weakest from a first-party standpoint.