• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of feels like we are going backwards. Announcing games in Japan and not announcing them immediately for the other regions sucks, particularly when it's notable things like Shiren or Detective Club.

Well they went radio silent for like 6+ months, and hadn't announced anything past AC. Nintendo's constant need for secrecy and "surprises" is what drives these expectations, and certainly creates a toxic aspect to the fanbase when there is often nothing to discuss other than when and what the next direct will be. They could have announced all this stuff from the mini months ago and fans could have spent their time discussing that instead.
If they announced this mini stuff months ago people would be crazy and clamoring for a general direct...right about now lol.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Part of actually having some third party support is Nintendo can have a widened relese schedule. If H1 had no third party content like other consoles they've released I'm sure you would see them shuffle around their release schedule.

All this third party stuff adds up despite enthusiasts wanting all new games.

Also like 12 people bought Xenoblade 1 :P

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Sadly, after all this wait, this was a pretty terrible direct for me. Mostly updates and ports.

Episode 1 Podracer is absolutely amazing though fuck yea !

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Unsurprisingly Xenoblade is coming out on the leaked date, though I'm a little disappointed by the UI, I was expecting a bigger overhaul there. I look forward to playing it but not until my work situation is figured out.

The UI overhaul is welcoming for me. This is coming from someone who recently finished all Xenoblade Chronicles 2 + expansion. Sleek, simple, and concentrated. I loved this.

It's neat that Clubhouse games is returning, I'm sure some players will get a lot out of that
I'm definitively also loving this.

The weirdest thing is that XCOM, Borderlands, Bioshock AND Xenoblade are all launching on May 29th. Like, seriously?

Probably hitting close to the Q1 end / Q2 begin financials.

Good Job is a new nintendo IP?(published by Nintendo)

Yes, this game seems to be the official Nintendo developed / published IP.

www.nintendo.com

Good Job!™ for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy Good Job!™ and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

I can't find specific details, because of all Google searches are related to job searches, "good job" and such.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
If they announced this mini stuff months ago people would be crazy and clamoring for a general direct...right about now lol.
I think if they just set expectations earlier things would be a lot better. I mean just come out and say here's what we have for the next X amount of months, we expect to have directs on these dates, etc. Do a 6 month calendar at a time or something.

The first year or two of the Switch's life it felt like they were doing a better job of this. We usually knew most of what was going on in a given year pretty early on, and we had teases for games further out. I'm assuming the situations around MP4, Bayo3, and Pokemon, have caused them to clamp up. In general though it just seems to make discussions within the fanbase a lot worse and unenjoyable.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
00:23 - Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
04:26 - 2K Games
06:09 - MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3: The Black Order
07:20 - Shinsekai: Into the Depths
08:23 - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
09:44 - Good Job!
10:48 - Catherine: Full Body
11:43 - Ring Fit Adventure
13:13 - King's Bounty II
14:10 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
14:47 - ARMS
15:24 - BRAVELY DEFAULT II
19:42 - Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
21:33 - Ninjala
22:47 - Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
23:14 - Panzer Dragoon: Remake
23:40 - What's Coming to Nintendo Switch?
25:15 - Pokémon Sword Expansion Pass and Pokémon Shield Expansion Pass
Terrific, thank you.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
Great Direct for me just for Bravely Default II and Xenoblade Chronicles alone really.

Will probably be interested in Catherine Full Body too and some of the smaller titles looked good.

However, I was hoping the Pokemon expansion pass might make me more interested in the game and potentially buy it. But I thought the new footage looked pretty dreadful and actually turned me off the game more. I've not played the new Pokemon, but I'm so disappointed with Sword/Shield and the footage shown today did absolutely nothing to change my thoughts on the game.

Kirikocho

Dec 30, 2018
Amazing how with such a simple video we can tell who it's informed about the global situation and who gives a shit and thinks everything it's the same.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
This was The Most Important Direct Possibly Ever. We finally got proof of life on this guy. Yes I will pay the $60 ransom to free my boy if that's what it takes

mr-driller-drillland-nintendo-switch.original.jpg
Bonus mode in mr driller? Also did you see they announced Namco museum 2 in the Japanese direct? Can't find any details tho

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
It felt like if you take a normal Direct and cut out the usual big opening and closing announcements. It was alright for what it was.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I think if they just set expectations earlier things would be a lot better. I mean just come out and say here's what we have for the next X amount of months, we expect to have directs on these dates, etc. Do a 6 month calendar at a time or something.

The first year or two of the Switch's life it felt like they were doing a better job of this. We usually knew most of what was going on in a given year pretty early on, and we had teases for games further out. I'm assuming the situations around MP4, Bayo3, and Pokemon, have caused them to clamp up. In general though it just seems to make discussions within the fanbase a lot worse and unenjoyable.
There must be some metric about announcing a presentation and then doing it in 2 days or 1 day or right then
Cause even sony and indie devs are doing it. Maybe retention or increased viewers and players for shadow drop impulse buys.
A roadmap would be nice though but maybe marketing analytics say no.

I dont think the first years were much better. Granted we never had a time period with no dated game iirc but every few months the next quarter would be empty and people would go crazy in anticipation of it being filled. Feb 2019 direct was great that it showed later games...but h1 2019 wasn't great

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
If every year is barren, then no year is. The only year I can think of where they consistently released new games was the Switch launch year.
Correct again. Compare the new software released year-over-year on the Wii, DS, 3DS, GBA, or even the Gamecube to the Switch. I'm not even talking about exclusives -- new, contemporary video games. Any publisher, first or third party, exclusive or multiplatform. The Switch does not enjoy the same vibrant software development as did its predecessors. This is the norm.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Xenoblade alone made the direct for me. I'm getting that edition with the 250 art book. I do can't wait. The epilogue Future connected has me more excited than ever because it probably confirms my theory that they would tie the games together. Oh my god thank you Nintendo for this amazing trailer!

Jun 8, 2019
Pretty happy with that.

Clubhouse games + tanks has strong Perfect for Switch energy.
Bravely 2 is clearly much further along than I had appreciated.
Xenoblade DE looking very much worth the revisit (assuming I ever finish Torna and then find the time).
Good Job looking super interesting, but will wait to hear more before jumping on it.
I've been waiting for a Shiren switch appearance so hopefully we get a localization.
XCom 2 another great match for the Switch.
Ringfit expansion looking pretty interesting as well!

Combined with all the good stuff from this year (Pokemon DLC, FE3H DLC, Animal Crossing, indie direct with Dicey Dungeons and Last Campfire), I'm pretty happy. Hopefully this means Nintendo saving big new announcements until E3. No major expectations until then.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I can't find specific details, because of all Google searches are related to job searches, "good job" and such.

www.resetera.com

Good Job! New eShop title from Nintendo - Out Now!

Ninty announced a new eshop title during today's Mini Direct! Looks to fit in the indie niche of games like Goose Game and Overcooked. Oh, and it's out now for $19.99! EDIT: see threadmark, developed by Paladin Studios https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/good-job-switch/

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
XC:DE has me hooked. I'm in it for that as well as the expanded epilogue on the Bionis shoulder.
Also in for Catherine.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
00:23 - Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
04:26 - 2K Games
06:09 - MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3: The Black Order
07:20 - Shinsekai: Into the Depths
08:23 - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
09:44 - Good Job!
10:48 - Catherine: Full Body
11:43 - Ring Fit Adventure
13:13 - King's Bounty II
14:10 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
14:47 - ARMS
15:24 - BRAVELY DEFAULT II
19:42 - Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
21:33 - Ninjala
22:47 - Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
23:14 - Panzer Dragoon: Remake
23:40 - What's Coming to Nintendo Switch?
25:15 - Pokémon Sword Expansion Pass and Pokémon Shield Expansion Pass
How you just gonna leave out Star Wars Episode 1: Racer like that.

That game is the shit.
Also like 12 people bought Xenoblade 1 :P
I'm not sure how they sent the game to die 3 times (in the US at least), but man they found a way. Released on a dead Wii platform, exclusively for the new 3DS, and a digital only release on the dying husk of the Wii U in 2016 (if it was ever really alive to begin with).

I'm really curious to see how it does as a full release on a modern system.

Darrilium

Jan 3, 2020
Yeah you're right. They have absolutely nothing, they should just stop making Switch's 🤣

We've been through this dance before and then boom they blow people away. If it's still the same in August then start worrying.
Lmaoo yeah I agree with you but I mean if they had big announcements for this summer, they'd have announced them already. We're looking at 4 new games maximum this year. That's really disappointing.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Lol at a lot of the negativity in here. I loved this direct. Especially King's Bounty and Clubhouse Games. Wanna try Panzer Dragoon too. Xenoblade is a no-brainer of course. Didn't really like the first Bravely Default, but who knows, maybe I like this. And can't wait to play Catherine on the go!

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Holy shit that was pretty great. I want Zelda/Metroid/hollow knight news as much as the next person but come on there's some great shit in here!

And finally .. fucking burnout!!!

Flozuki

Nov 7, 2017
That was pretty nice. Too bad there will be a Panzer Dragoon limited retail release, otherwise I would have immediately downloaded it^^

Oct 27, 2017
I officially hate Nintendo now.
Are they just sitting on first party games?
This was the worst Nintendo direct in history. Literally ZERO new first party announcements.
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK???

Nah, worst one has to be that one where they revealed Federation Force. So tone-deaf and out of touch with the fanbase, I felt that one sting and I don't even like Metroid.

But it does speak volumes that this thread barely got over 10 pages and already lost steam, when even the previous mini direct thread was over 100 pages long by the end of it. People are underwhelmed

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty underwhelming Direct, everything in there could have easily announced in January (even December). Nothing big was announced from Nintendo outside of a Smash character not even fully announced. Lol, they seriously believe Xenoblade, a new Smash character and some ports would shift away attention from Animal Crossing? What was the need for such prolonged radio silence and mystery around the 2020 line-up?

They should have announced the Direct earlier, too. Not a big fan of this shadow drop strategy because I only got aware there was a Direct now. Nintendo seems to believe everyone in the world is plugged 24/24 in the net.

Really, marketing division is dropping the ball here. Not complaining about Switch's line-up, it's pretty good, but how Nintendo is currently handling their announcements is unnecessary.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
Some pretty great stuff here. Revisiting podracer should be tons of fun. Played it so much on PC and Dreamcast back in the day. I'm a huge Burnout fan, but Paradise just doesn't do it for me. Maybe once the remaster is out everywhere we'll get a remaster of the OG trilogy.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was pretty decent Direct. Nothing mindblowing for sure but there's a lot to look forward to I think!
-Those 2K ports (especially Borderlands) have been games I've been wanting to play on Switch for years now.
-Panzer Dragoon, the Capcom Metroidvania Shinsekai, and Good Job are all games I'm definitely gonna be checking out.
-Ring Fit Adventure getting a rhythm game update is exactly what I needed to boot the game back up.
-Xenoblade DE looks amazing and I'm really looking forward to Bravely Default 2.

I'm pretty hyped that Sakurai gave a spot in Smash to ARMS as I felt like it was too good of a pick to pass up. Hoping for Twintelle of course. I don't see why it would be Spring Man considering he's already an Assist Trophy but Ribbon Girl would be equally as dull imo. Pulling for Twintelle but I feel like any of the non poster characters would be great to see.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmaoo yeah I agree with you but I mean if they had big announcements for this summer, they'd have announced them already. We're looking at 4 new games maximum this year. That's really disappointing.

Yet four new games is about what we've seen every year so far on Switch -

2017 -

Breath of the Wild.
Splatoon 2.
Fire Emblem Warriors.
Supe Mario Odyssey.

2018 -

Kirby.
Mario Tennis.
Super Mario Party.
Smash Bros Ultimate.

2019 -

Yoshi's Crafted World.
Fire Emblem Three Houses.
Astral Chain.
Pokémon Sword / Shield.

2020 -

Animal Crossing.
Bravely Default II.
My guess - Retro Studio's Racer.
My guess - Breath of the Wild 2.

I think in this era of gaming it's a very good effort in terms of exclusive software. That's ignoring all the Remasters, Remakes, old game ports, PS360 ports, indie games and PS4/XB1 ports.

I can't believe what I'm reading sometimes with regards to people complaining about a lack of Switch software lol... On top of that most people that post on here have a PS4/XB1/PC on top of a Switch. Crazy.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
More info on games is always good but the only Switch release from the direct that I will be getting is Xenoblade and that will be the third time I buy it. Do people have lower expectations for what gets released on the Switch? More ports of games from years ago doesn't excite me at all and I would rather see Nintendo release some of their own games throughout the year.