• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
This was JRPG-heavy, so it had very little for me at all because I'm not interested in anything from that genre/aesthetic style.

I want Panzer Dragoon physical, which IIRC Sega said would happen, so I'll wait until I can get the game card.

I'm interested in whatever ARMS character is put into Smash.

Other than that, this had nothing for me.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Good direct for turn-based strategy/rpg fans like me with Kings Bounty II, Xcom II and Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus.

I'm still mystified by the naming of Bravely Default II when I've got Bravely Second on the shelf, and even then I didn't get around to playing it when the demo for that, Ballard of the Three Cavaliers, was a decent little campaign in it's own right.

I'll probably skip BDII. Enjoyed the ones I've played but ultimately it looks very similar, and the characters, asterisks and battle system etc don't seem to offer anything new.

Trials of Mana I'm probably in for- enjoyed the demo. Trails of Cold Steel III I'll download the demo and have a look later this week. Played the first 2 games on Vita so it's a natural progression on portables for me.

Xenoblade I became bored with on the Wii and abandoned, but portable means I might give it another shot at some point.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
disappointing, didn't really see much for me here. shame, but understandable given the circumstances.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I guess COVID-19 completely disrupted Nintendo's first-party pipeline. In that light, it was a solid Direct for the circumstances. Quite a few "better late than never" ports I'm interested in.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
Funniest thing is that the biggest megaton for me here was the runner mode in Ring Fit Adventure.

Stuck in a house without a job, this'll be a great way to enjoy the sights and sounds (RFA is underrated when it comes to the artstyle and score) while getting your heart-rate up.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Well I bought Good Job! Suppose I'm now the guy everyone will be asking about how it is! Hopefully I can check it out for a little bit on my lunch break.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Bonus mode in mr driller?

Drill Land is an entire game of bonus modes. There's World Tour which is your standard Mr. Driller (albeit with characters with different abilities to choose from) and there's another four different game types which alter the basic gameplay in some way. Hole of Druaga has you killing monsters and collecting keys to find your way out, Drindy Adventure has you trying to avoid booby traps, Star Driller has black holes which suck blocks away and Horror Night House has you trying to stop ghosts with holy water.

It's a genuinely amazing package and I'm glad it's finally coming out in English.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Yet four new games is about what we've seen every year so far on Switch -

2017 -

Breath of the Wild.
Splatoon 2.
Fire Emblem Warriors.
Supe Mario Odyssey.

2018 -

Kirby.
Mario Tennis.
Super Mario Party.
Smash Bros Ultimate.

2019 -

Yoshi's Crafted World.
Fire Emblem Three Houses.
Astral Chain.
Pokémon Sword / Shield.

2020 -

Animal Crossing.
Bravely Default II.
My guess - Retro Studio's Racer.
My guess - Breath of the Wild 2.

I think in this era of gaming it's a very good effort in terms of exclusive software. That's ignoring all the Remasters, Remakes, old game ports, PS360 ports, indie games and PS4/XB1 ports.

I can't believe what I'm reading sometimes with regards to people complaining about a lack of Switch software lol... On top of that most people that post on here have a PS4/XB1/PC on top of a Switch. Crazy.

No love for SMM2, Ring Fit Adventure and Luigi's Mansion 3 from 2019?

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to be realistic given the COVID outbreak, and considering they even had a message about it in the Direct.

I mean, people can keep their dreams of Odyssey 2, BOTW2, Bayonetta 3, and more all shipping this year. Fine by me.

Thinking that all those games would release this year is being overly optimistic. Saying no games of that caliber (it doesn't have to any of those exact games) will release this year is being overly skeptical.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying to be realistic given the COVID outbreak, and considering they even had a message about it in the Direct.

I mean, people can keep their dreams of Odyssey 2, BOTW2, Bayonetta 3, and more all shipping this year. Fine by me.

Assuming they will go a whole year where they only release one new title is not realistic.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Concerning late third parties, I generally don't care about seventh gen ports, but there's a number of ports from this gen that I would buy gladly.

X-COM 2 is among them

Apr 21, 2018
Thinking that all those games would release this year is being overly optimistic. Saying no games of that caliber (it doesn't have to any of those exact games) will release this year is being overly skeptical.

I think Super Mario 3D World and Metroid V will be pretty big releases. I also think they'll unveil a players choice lineup. Maybe a Warrior Ware game in there.

I just know bigger games require more work and outsourcing. If a big game was initially scheduled for fall/holiday it will probably be pushed to next year. Initially planned summer games will spread out and round out the holiday.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Yeah, Nintendo not even announcing the 3D World port makes me think it's coming in the fall, which confirms what I already suspected. This is going to be a very weak year for Switch releases.

But hey, I'll buy another port of Burnout Paradise. One of my all time favorite games.

Nov 1, 2017
This was a pretty amazing direct to me.

I've been hotly anticipating Panzer Dragoon and that shadowdrop came at such a perfect time. Bravely Default II demo was unexpected and I can't wait to play. Xenoblade looks like a huge step up from the Wii version, and features a new epilogue. Tabletop Classics is honestly megaton and I'm expecting to put hundreds of hours into mahjong. Wasn't expecting Catherine Fullbody, especially after PC only got the classic edition. I hadn't heard of Ninjala before but it looks awesome too, like Splatoon meets Anarchy Reigns. Not to mention the free updates to Ring Fit and Animal Crossing.

I cannot relate with the people who are disappointed, but I hope their anticipated releases get new info soon. In the meantime there's just a ton of games to play on Switch to last through Q2.

Edit: forgot about Mr. Driller's triumphant return. Pack it up people, Mr. Driller could have carried the whole direct.

Amakuni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess COVID-19 completely disrupted Nintendo's first-party pipeline. In that light, it was a solid Direct for the circumstances. Quite a few "better late than never" ports I'm interested in.

And people called me crazy when I speculated this was delayed due to the virus back in February.

Pleasantly surprised overall with this direct, as a jrpg fan. I only wish they would've announced it a day in advance so I could've watched this along with the streamers I follow.

It's awesome that xeno remastered is coming out so soon and the Bravely demo dropping. Hopefully it'll be as robust as the demo for the other games and carry over progress to the main game.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Great direct given the circumstances. Excited to see who the arms character is. But good lord was the Pokémon news a lame way to end the direct. They barely even showed anything new for it so there was really no point to show it

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Great direct given the circumstances. Excited to see who the arms character is. But good lord was the Pokémon news a lame way to end the direct. They barely even showed anything new for it so there was really no point to show it
Yeah that ending was...oof. Did they really have nothing else for that spot? I was fine with the Direct overall, but damn that was a weak closer.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
People shitting on the xenoblade charismatic british dub make baby jesus cry. Also im surprise people are surprised? This dub is nothing new, havent they seen any footage of the original game?

From the Melia shout, do we know if she still Jenna Coleman? She seems to have a TON of new content for her in the game.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I'm just a little bit angry they decided it was a good idea to release so many games on the same day in 2 months while their line up is kinda barren if you don't like animal crossing...

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Growing up I was a huge strategy games fan. Too bad consoles did not have many of them, PC was the home for strategy genre.

Except one. King's Bounty on Mega Drive. One of my favorite TBS game all time and I played it to death. And now after almost 30 years later the series are back and it's on Switch. Couldn't be happier.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
This would be a great time for Nintendo to release stuff like Galaxy 1 and 2, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, all their old gems...

Saying that, Animal Crossing will keep me busy for the year.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Big shoulder shrug from me.

The Clubhouse Games thing is the only thing I'm looking forward to.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Yeah, Nintendo not even announcing the 3D World port makes me think it's coming in the fall, which confirms what I already suspected. This is going to be a very weak year for Switch releases.

But hey, I'll buy another port of Burnout Paradise. One of my all time favorite games.

I wouldn't say 3D World is even that weak of a game. It's a big, big title as 1. Not many played it on Wii U, so it's practically a new game, and 2. It's a Mario game with multiplayer on a console basically made for it.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That was a delightful little direct! I know some people want the huge Nintendo announcements but a lot of these unique little games (many coming out today!) are so fun to see. Plus, that Ring Fit update is so exciting, gonna try those out tomorrow morning :D. The music stuff is awesome and I've been waiting on a dedicated Jogging mode!

Also don't sleep on ARMS, it's REALLY GOOD.

People shitting on the xenoblade charismatic british dub make baby jesus cry. Also im surprise people are surprised? This dub is nothing new, havent they seen any footage of the original game?

Yeah critiques of that dub totally confuse me. Hell, one of the reasons I bought the original was the delivery of a single line in a trailer: Shulks "I'LL KIIIILL YOUUUU" is so damn good. One of the best JRPG dubs period.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was The Most Important Direct Possibly Ever. We finally got proof of life on this guy. Yes I will pay the $60 ransom to free my boy if that's what it takes

mr-driller-drillland-nintendo-switch.original.jpg
Yea this is by far the best announcement from the Direct. Mr. Driller lives!

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
I got super excited when they revealed Star Wars Episode 1 Racer. Complete euphoria. One of my favorite games as a kid.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
That was a delightful little direct! I know some people want the huge Nintendo announcements but a lot of these unique little games (many coming out today!) are so fun to see. Plus, that Ring Fit update is so exciting, gonna try those out tomorrow morning :D. The music stuff is awesome and I've been waiting on a dedicated Jogging mode!

Also don't sleep on ARMS, it's REALLY GOOD.

Yeah critiques of that dub totally confuse me. Hell, one of the reasons I bought the original was the delivery of a single line in a trailer: Shulks "I'LL KIIIILL YOUUUU" is so damn good. One of the best JRPG dubs period.
Yeah, its incredibly charismatic. I will always love XC1 and XC2 bristish dubs forever and ever. And one of the points why I enjoy much less XCX (among other things like the music). Also Jenna Coleman as Melia is pure love and I will riot if she is changed (she will be changed most probably :( )
MONADO BOY!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. It's an excellent dub with lots of energy, and I like that it's delivered quickly and without those annoying long pauses between sentences that plague many games, not just RPGs.