• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to /u/Natzore on the Nintendo Switch Reddit for pointing this out and Nintendo Life for making a video & article about it.

From Nintendo Life:

People who look for consistency and patterns in Nintendo's thinking often come up with absolutely nothing beyond a Mii in a hot dog costume, but Reddit user Natzore has discovered something of actual worth.

Looking through the past schedules for Nintendo Direct presentations, it seems Nintendo has been quick in the past to follow up a Nintendo Direct Mini with a full-fat Nintendo Direct, rather than just letting them sit as they are.

Take a look over the table below from the Nintendo Switch subreddit; it details all the instances of this pattern to date.

Of course, Nintendo have often bucked even their own trends, so this is certainly not hard evidence, however the strange absence of larger games such as Bayonetta 3, Yoshi, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, and Fire Emblem in yesterday's presentation does seem unusual.

original.jpg

So while there's no need for Chibi Robo to burn forever until the end of time, we may hear more from Nintendo sooner rather than later, as many originally predicted.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Interesting. I never realized that the minis were so close to the full ones.

Looks like at the very worst we're looking at three weeks.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
Hasn't this already been proven as false?

That's extremely misleading.

The July 18 2012 Direct Mini was Japan-only, and only featured Brain Age. The following Direct was another Mini, was also Japan-only, and focused on Dragon Quest X. It wasn't until the end of August that there was a full-blown, global Direct.
The September 7 2012 Mini was also Japan-only, and again focused on Brain Age. September 13 saw a worldwide Wii U Direct, but most regions didn't see the Mini.
The October 3 2012 Mini was Japan-only. The October 4 2012 Direct was Europe and Australia-only. There was no overlap in audience.
The November 27 2012 Mini focused on NSMB2 DLC. However, this was indeed followed by a broader global Direct on December 5th.
The December 19 2012 Mini was Japan-only, and focused on Dragon Quest X. The Pokémon Direct followed on January 8th globally. The two had nothing to do with each other.
The April 1 2013 Mini was Japan-only, and focused on 3DS eShop games. The April 3 Direct was also Japan-only, and focused on Tomodachi Life.
The July 18 2013 Mini was not broadcast in Japan, and didn't have major new software announcements- the August 7th 2013 Direct was global.
The October 29th 2013 Mini was Japan-exclusive, and focused solely on Daigasso! Band Brothers P. The November 12th 2013 was exclusive to South Korea, and focused on Monster Hunter 4.
The November 14th 2013 Mini was not aired in Japan, and the November 27th Direct was followed by a Direct exclusively about the downloadable 3DS Tour of the Louvre (yes, really).
The June 1 2015 Micro was exclusive to North America, and focused on games previously revealed by a Japan-exclusive Direct. The June 14 2015 was focused on Smash Bros, and was part of Nintendo's E3 presence that year.
The November 2 2016 Direct wasn't a Mini at all, but a full direct focused on Animal Crossing New Leaf's big update. The November 5 Direct was a Japan exclusive, focused on Miitopia.

If you're looking for a global Mini with multiple titles followed swiftly by a full Direct... you can keep looking, but it doesn't exist.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Well we now know a bit more about H1 2018's lineup, but the later part of the year is mostly unknown.
So a Direct is a given, either this month or the next.
What really drives people mad is the fact that it could be any day.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that this was proven to be some lazy research. Something along the lines of the mini-Directs being for different regions. Do we have any real instances of a mini-Direct, followed by a "full" Direct within that short of a period of time for the same regions?

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I think similar threads have already been locked. And why isn't 2017 in that table? Probably because the number of directs decreased I guess?

B B

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Nintendo just have a press preview event as well? (Think it was mentioned on the Waypoint podcast.) Wouldn't surprise me if it was in anticipation of an upcoming Direct.

Oct 26, 2017
pls stop.
I'll just put this here

That's extremely misleading.

The July 18 2012 Direct Mini was Japan-only, and only featured Brain Age. The following Direct was another Mini, was also Japan-only, and focused on Dragon Quest X. It wasn't until the end of August that there was a full-blown, global Direct.
The September 7 2012 Mini was also Japan-only, and again focused on Brain Age. September 13 saw a worldwide Wii U Direct, but most regions didn't see the Mini.
The October 3 2012 Mini was Japan-only. The October 4 2012 Direct was Europe and Australia-only. There was no overlap in audience.
The November 27 2012 Mini focused on NSMB2 DLC. However, this was indeed followed by a broader global Direct on December 5th.
The December 19 2012 Mini was Japan-only, and focused on Dragon Quest X. The Pokémon Direct followed on January 8th globally. The two had nothing to do with each other.
The April 1 2013 Mini was Japan-only, and focused on 3DS eShop games. The April 3 Direct was also Japan-only, and focused on Tomodachi Life.
The July 18 2013 Mini was not broadcast in Japan, and didn't have major new software announcements- the August 7th 2013 Direct was global.
The October 29th 2013 Mini was Japan-exclusive, and focused solely on Daigasso! Band Brothers P. The November 12th 2013 was exclusive to South Korea, and focused on Monster Hunter 4.
The November 14th 2013 Mini was not aired in Japan, and the November 27th Direct was followed by a Direct exclusively about the downloadable 3DS Tour of the Louvre (yes, really).
The June 1 2015 Micro was exclusive to North America, and focused on games previously revealed by a Japan-exclusive Direct. The June 14 2015 was focused on Smash Bros, and was part of Nintendo's E3 presence that year.
The November 2 2016 Direct wasn't a Mini at all, but a full direct focused on Animal Crossing New Leaf's big update. The November 5 Direct was a Japan exclusive, focused on Miitopia.

If you're looking for a global Mini with multiple titles followed swiftly by a full Direct... you can keep looking, but it doesn't exist.

lbs.

Oct 30, 2017
The hype threads have become just as entertaining as the actual directs!
....well, almost.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Nobody, NOBODY mentions that the July 18 2012 mini was for Brain Age, July 30 2012 was for Dragon Quest X (both Japan-only).

Or Sept 7 2012 being another Brain Age Japan only and Sept 13 being worldwide direct.

Or Oct 3 and Oct 4 2012 omitting the October 2 and October 5 directs that also came out for several regions during the time.

Edit: "Nobody" being Nintendo / general gaming outlets because fuck research, get clicks.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Most of those was when we had directs every 2 or 3 months

This is the first mini direct since we had one direct each 6 months besides the e3 one

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
anigif_enhanced-1095-1409151110-3.gif

It's also not very convincing when most of your data points are 5 and 6 years old. But go ahead, burn the robots if you want to, lol.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
xBmbOcq.gif

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
While I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Direct in the next few weeks, this feels like grasping.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Right. This mini direct basically had enough content for a full Direct. I wouldn't expect one so soon.

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If this includes single-game Japanese directs and such then that certainly does lend some skepticism to the whole discovery, as many have stated.

Also, just to throw this out there, this wasn't meant to be a hype thread. Just one describing a possible pattern and hint as to when we may hear from them again.

Heck, I specifically say that Chibi Robo doesn't need to keep burning.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see the table with all the directs that don't fit the pattern added back in.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's time for all of you to face reality

theres going to be a direct in 2 - 3 weeks

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If we do get another one in the next couple weeks, I'll be really surprised if it's another full Direct, and not a game-specific or Nindies Direct. They just announced their first half lineup, I don't see why they'd announce beyond that so soon after.

Status
Not open for further replies.