• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I would hope a company that did all but shit with their previous console for almost 2 years in a row would have been putting all their eggs into the switch basket. Not like they were doing anything super in 2015-2016 outside of maybe 2 games like splatoon and marion maker.

I shit on them for doing it when they transitioned from Wii to Wii U. I shit on them for virtually having gaps in their software lineup on Wii U.

I'll give them credit for fixing that on Switch since they fixed it. Granted alot of that Wii U software is helping them out here so it wasn't completely wasted effort but they smartly reapplied it to their strategy.

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make or what it has to do with eating time or who's supposed to be a super fan and what it has to do with anything?

My point is that they have a game to show off in a direct for the first time, port or not, and they will before it releases, the same way you'll see DK again in a future more general direct. They don't just announce something and release it, lol

I mean I was agreeing with you, I just piggybacked off your comment for my thoughts lol

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Why? 2017 is not the entirety of Nintendo's history. Historically Nintendo had both very good years and very bad years. People are afraid that 2018 is going to be one of the bad years and it's totally reasonable.

But the question is why are they already afraid of 2018? There's been 15 minutes of announcements and we're less than 2 weeks into the year. I understand the thirst for information and announcements but, at some point, you have to be reasonable.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, they could just use the typical ad campaigns most companies use. TV commercials, twitter posts, news section on the Switch... they don't have to feature every game that's coming out in a Direct. I do agree though that it's rare that they don't do this with a game they themselves publish, but on the other hand the game awards announcement was sorta like a Direct for that purpose.

I guess I wouldn't be surprised either way, is what I'm saying..

I can't remember the last game they've released that didn't appear in a single direct though. And the VGAs mean nothing for people who own a switch and don't follow unrelated events. Also the video announcement was just that, a recycled video that didn't even talk about features added to the port, however small they are. Or what even the fuck was this game, mind you.

Unless they don't care about sales numbers and preparing the userbase for Bayo 3, they kinda have to address it somehow

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Great mini direct.

February, March and April are more fleshed out now.

Still, new direct in 3 weeks tho right?

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
It really weirds me out people talking about "nothing to play". I mean, if you only care about exclusives or Nintendo games then it's impossible to cater to you every month. They can't be making new games every week.

There's tons of third party support with new games every week. This "only Nintendo or AAA games count" is so weird. Ugh.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
vYH2MR7.png

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW! Chibi Robo was Praising the Sun the entire time and we were never able to connect the dots that this was a hint that Dark Souls was coming to Switch! *completely missed the point*

Even if this was a "Mini Direct," there was plenty here to get me excited. My favorites were the Pokken DLC support (which hopefully we'll see more support after Blastoise), and the Hyrule Warriors Ultimate Edition with the 3DS content on home consoles confirmed. I would have loved to see BotW get some more love with the four heroes being added in and another adventure pack, but I think where things stand, I'll take at least this much.

Dark Souls was a nice shock as was the Balloon mode in Odyssey and Funky being in Tropical Freeze. Even the Tennis game actually has my attention more than the Wii U counterpart ever did. 2018 is going to be a fun year to watch for Nintendo. Might not be as explosive as 2017, but we'll still see some great games coming down the pipeline.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I'm not sure if I'm as cynical as you are, but it is funny to see how Nintendo didn't put their full development powers into Wii U's final years and are still double-dipping on Wii U games without having other, original releases to go along side them.

If Nintendo is holding onto game announcements for Jan-May, then my complaints aren't valid. I'm literally just asking for switch games I've never played before and PC game ports (including indies) and Wii U ports aren't that.

You have

ARMS
Fire Emblem Warriors
Mario Oddessey
Splatoon 2
Kirby
Yoshi
Mario Tennis

I even left out BoTW since one could argue that's a Wii U port ( it kinda is)

But did you really have nothing but Wii U ports and PC Indies to play? It's not super exciting but let's be honest here.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
If that was a mini direct them I can't wait for what they have for a main direct. That was pretty great. Can't wait for DK, even through I have it on the Wii U I didn't get very far as I was distracted by something else at the time, Tennis looked great and I've never played TWEWY or Dark Souls.

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Still so fucking excited for Dark Souls on Switch. And Mario Tennis may just be a dumb tennis game to some, but their call to handheld Story Modes makes me so excited. If this game has good online, I will never need another multiplayer game on my Switch.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in Mario Tennis. I hope they actually put a decent budget behind it this time.
that's my biggest worry.

If it means a more robust story mode and stages, modes, characters, I would like this to be late 2018 or even 2019. Cause a good mario tennis game gets replayed for years by me.
Ultra Smash released in late 2015.

For all we know, Ultra Smash was just this game in development, and Nintendo said we need a game for 2015, what can you do? lol
So hopefully a couple of years is good enough.

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
that's my biggest worry.

If it means a more robust story mode and stages, modes, characters, I would like this to be late 2018 or even 2019. Cause a good mario tennis game gets replayed for years by me.
Ultra Smash released in late 2015.

For all we know, Ultra Smash was just this game in development, and Nintendo said we need a game for 2015, what can you do? lol
So hopefully a couple of years is good enough.

Assets look very similar, so here's hoping this game was fleshing out an awesome story and fixing their online.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aww a bit disappointed it was a mini direct. Still gonna pick up those Wii U Ports and possibly Kirby and Mario Tennis. Never played TWEWY so might as well jump in here.

IPSF

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the ETA on the online system launch?

Might we get another big Direct with some reveals then?

Michanical

Dec 8, 2017
You have

ARMS
Fire Emblem Warriors
Mario Oddessey
Splatoon 2
Kirby
Yoshi
Mario Tennis

I even left out BoTW since one could argue that's a Wii U port ( it kinda is)

But did you really have nothing but Wii U ports and PC Indies to play? It's not super exciting but let's be honest here.

I'm not talking about 2017. I'm talking about what I'm playing Jan-May of 2018, as I indicated in my post. Bringing up 2017 releases and Yoshi (a game with no release date) only reinforces my point.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017

No one knows. That said the consensus and logical assumption is that they kinda have to launch it alongside a strong multiplayer title, so until such game is announced, probably smash, we can rest and play for free.

Quo Vadis

Oct 27, 2017
vYH2MR7.png

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW! Chibi Robo was Praising the Sun the entire time and we were never able to connect the dots that this was a hint that Dark Souls was coming to Switch! *completely missed the point*

Even if this was a "Mini Direct," there was plenty here to get me excited. My favorites were the Pokken DLC support (which hopefully we'll see more support after Blastoise), and the Hyrule Warriors Ultimate Edition with the 3DS content on home consoles confirmed. I would have loved to see BotW get some more love with the four heroes being added in and another adventure pack, but I think where things stand, I'll take at least this much.

Dark Souls was a nice shock as was the Balloon mode in Odyssey and Funky being in Tropical Freeze. Even the Tennis game actually has my attention more than the Wii U counterpart ever did. 2018 is going to be a fun year to watch for Nintendo. Might not be as explosive as 2017, but we'll still see some great games coming down the pipeline.
People figured it out right after the leak about Dark Souls remaster announcement today.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017

I think it's pretty much a given that they will reveal the remainder of the online service with a Nintendo Direct. The question is... when will that be? I think it's also a given that they will try to have some killer app to go with the service, since it will cost money. So, again, a Nintendo Direct is the perfect place to share all of this.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Assets look very similar, so here's hoping this game was fleshing out an awesome story and fixing their online.
I honestly think Ultra Smash was Aces in development, but Nintendo needed something for 2015.

As in, if the Wii U was selling gangbusters, Ultra Smash wouldn't exist and Aces would've just come later.
It has 1 arena/stage correct. And like no major modes as far as I know.

it's really bad to release that game in that state, and do no updates.
But it was late 2015, so if that framework means Aces had enough time to cook, then I guess the sacrifice is worth it.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Part of me feels like nintendo is about to drop all the momentum the switch had for itself after watching this direct. Like they really really needed a high profile first party game out before summer at least.

But ehhh this direct did nothing else for me since I already played tropical freeze on Wii u still cool to see dark souls on switch though but I think I'll get that on ps4 due to it being 60fps.

SLB1904

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hilarious at people complaining about all the ports.

Remember when PS4 didn't really have a noteworthy new game until Bloodborne, released almost 2 years later?

that never happened

edit: i think you guys are being overdramatic
this direct was pretty awesome
i just saw a bunch of games i cant play on ps4 and i want to play them.

KnightOwl

Oct 25, 2017
TWEWY Looks amazing on the switch. Glad it was one of the games I skipped when it first came out. Never got around to playing DK:TF either, looking forward to that bad boy at some point when I can clean out some of my switch backlog...

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My only disappointments is no Smash Wii U port, no Windwaker/Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword HD and no DK Returns as part of Tropical Freeze aswell but otherwise pleased with what was announced.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
I might check out Ys VIII, haven't played an Ys game since Ys 1&2 on Turbo Duo. Pretty solid variety for a mini Direct, not sure what some folks were expecting. Kirby still looks fun but I'm disappointed Good Feel's new Yoshi game isn't a spring or summer title. Not feeling the Odyssey balloon hunt mode, was really hoping they'd announce some paid DLC with new Kingdoms. Won't be picking up Tropical Freeze as I got it free on Wii U as a Club Nintendo reward. Dragon Quest Builders will be awesome to have on the go, I'm going to trade in my PS4 copy which I bought several months ago for the Switch version for sure as I still haven't completed it.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I disagree with this though. I think you're forgetting what the PS4's beginning was like. The first spring after the PS4 launched, they had Infamous, MLB, and then ports of old 3rd party games. There weren't any new 3rd party games until arguably May when Wolfenstein released. And then after that they didn't have a major 3rd party release till Madden hit. Other than that, the PS4 first year looks really similar to the Switch 1st year. Major publishers doing up-ports of games they already released, and indies releasing their stuff. So I don't think they really had 3rd party games to pad stuff out. The beginning of a console's lifespan just sucks. That's the way it is.

As for your other question, that's not really how game development works. Not to mention they'd have to create new assets for a lot of those games since they're doing a big jump in resolution

I guess you could call them ports, but they released those games like AC:Black flag, NBA2K at the same time or had made both versions. So no I don't know what your talking about. Call of Duty om PS4 was a much better version than it was of its shitty PS3 counter part same goes for AC:BF. And it's not like they released versions later on PS4, the came out the same time. ANd in 2014 we got much better versions of third party games. Switch does not have that luxury and that's on Nintendo to be honest. So since they are very limited with third party or at least it's going to take a longer time to re-engineer their engine for a switch version thats on Nintendo for the hardware they chose.

So when there's gaps between games, and what we are seeing are trickes of ports of first party games thats on them for not prepping and rushing the switch launch which is what a lot of people in the know seem to bring up. '

To your last point please tell me how Wii U games which some of ran native 1080 and some native 720 had to have new assets made for switch?

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solid direct but not a whole lot for me. I'll get TWEWY and Hyrule Warriors since I never got Legends. The most exciting news for me personally is BLASTOISE IN POKKEN LETS GO

Edit: and that Mario Tennis looks good.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will get TWEWY, Kirby, and Donkey Kong. Not really into Musou so I'll wait and see on Hyrule Warriors. Probably will get Dark Souls Remastered on PS4 as long as there's some updates.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Hilarious at people complaining about all the ports.

Remember when PS4 didn't really have a noteworthy new game until Bloodborne, released almost 2 years later?

The difference is PS4 had great third party games within the first couple months of the consoles release. Nintendo doesn't have that so they have to come up with something, and when you look at first couple months of 2018 most of their titles are all ports. So it's valid to complain if you bought a switch for new games.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'd like to remind the backlash around the presentation last year.

(From the guy who wrote this
http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/10/22/the-playstation-vita-is-set-tosucceed )

And then all these games announced were actually great, and it was all more than enough to push the hardware.

So yeah all these people that are predicting nothing but failure for Nintendo in 2018, should look more at their past.

Having said that despite we are absolutely responsible for all the unnecessary hype around this Direct, the leakers destroyed all the surprises (can you imagine if Dark Soul remastered was announced out of nowhere?), Nintendo was wrong to back it up, they should have played this safe with the regular announcement two days before specifically saying that it was going to be a Mini Direct.

This Direct was fine overall: a bunch of ports from the third parties and Nintendo itself which isn't necessarily a bad thing (very few people bought the Wii U), plus a new game from the collaboration between SNK and NISA, Ys VIII, Fe, a new look for Kirby and the announcement of Mario Tennis (which looks interesting this time)

It wasn't much but they didn't mention all the games we already know that are coming (Lost Sphear, Bayo 1&2, DQ Builders was announced just the demo, all the 3DS titles...), and there is still a chance for a bigger direct later this month or in February for titles like Octopath Traveler or Fire Emblem.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI

Outside of Resogun, there wasn't much other than ports and mid-generational 3rd party games.

Knack is a joke. Killzone was underwhelming. Second Son was massively underwhelming.

People were buying the console to play Madden and Assassins Creed. Those games were always on the NPD top 10 for many years. Not one original PS4 game really resonated until Bloodborne.

I'd like to remind the backlash around the presentation last year.

[Moriarty is a trash human being who doesn't need clicks]

And then all these games announced were actually great, and it was all more than enough to push the hardware.

So yeah all these people that are predicting nothing but failure for Nintendo in 2018, should look more at their past.

Having said that despite we are absolutely responsible for all the unnecessary hype around this Direct, plus the leakers destroyed all the surprises (can you imagine if Dark Soul remastered was announced out of nowhere?), Nintendo was wrong to back it up, they should have played this safe with the regular announcement two days before specifically saying that it was going to be a Mini Direct.

This Direct was fine overall: a bunch of ports from the third parties and Nintendo itself which isn't necessarily a bad thing (very few people bought the Wii U), plus a new game from the collaboration between SNK and NISA, a new look for Kirby and the announcement of Mario Tennis (which looks interesting this time)

It wasn't much but they didn't mention all the games we already know that are coming (Lost Sphear, Bayo 1&2, DQ Builders was announced just the demo,...), and there is still a chance for a bigger direct later this month or in February for titles like Octopath Traveler or Fire Emblem.

Fair enough. It's kinda low hanging fruit since Moriarty's a trash human being.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Solid Direct.

I'll get Fe (looked cool!), Ys 8, and Dark Souls. That's enough for me.

Also man, the 3DS is dead. Probably for the best.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Maybe people forgot, but lots of people thought 2017 would be a pretty bad year for Nintendo after the January event.

Let's wait before pulling the doom card. It's a mini direct we've seen, there is probably more stuff coming. They haven't even talked about stuff we already know about, like Bayo, Yoshi and Fire Emblem.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So with Dark Souls Remastered... maybe this isn't technically correct but when I see the word "Remastered" in a game's title that sounds to me like you took a slightly older game, ported it to a new platform, cleaned up the visuals, and maybe add some content. Now a "Remake" on the other hand reads to me like the game is being rebuilt from the ground up but the core of what made that game what it is stays mostly the same. I say all of this because if what I've heard about this is true then this game is being remade and I dislike how remaster and remake get used interchangeably by a lot of people.

I'm really excited for this but this begs the question of how well will Dark Souls run on the Switch? Are Dark Souls 2&3 Switch bound? Will Sony get Blue Point to do a Demon's Souls PS4 remaster? Will From ever revisit the idea of doing a Bloodborne Pro patch? Ugh, I feel exhausted ...

Outside of Resogun, there wasn't much other than ports and mid-generational 3rd party games.

Knack is a joke. Killzone was underwhelming. Second Son was massively underwhelming.

People were buying the console to play Madden and Assassins Creed. Those games were always on the NPD top 10 for many years. Not one original PS4 game really resonated until Bloodborne.

I'm with you. As someone who got both the X1 and PS4 at launch I actually found myself regretting buying a PS4 up until Bloodborne came out. Ryse and Dead Rising 3 weren't amazing but they were both better than Killzone and Knack and they showed off the hardware better than Knack and Killzone. Also, Killer Instinct is amazing.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
I guess you could call them ports, but they released those games like AC:Black flag, NBA2K at the same time or had made both versions. So no I don't know what your talking about. Call of Duty om PS4 was a much better version than it was of its shitty PS3 counter part same goes for AC:BF. And it's not like they released versions later on PS4, the came out the same time. ANd in 2014 we got much better versions of third party games. Switch does not have that luxury and that's on Nintendo to be honest. So since they are very limited with third party or at least it's going to take a longer time to re-engineer their engine for a switch version thats on Nintendo for the hardware they chose.

So when there's gaps between games, and what we are seeing are trickes of ports of first party games thats on them for not prepping and rushing the switch launch which is what a lot of people in the know seem to bring up. '

To your last point please tell me how Wii U games which some of ran native 1080 and some native 720 had to have new assets made for switch?
I'm talking about after launch, the release period from Jan 2014 to August 2014 was barren as hell for the PS4 outside of Wolfenstein, MLB, and Infamous. And again, those 3rd party games in 2014 didn't arrive until fall of 2014, nearly a year after the PS4 released. That's what I'm talking about. The current "dought" that's filled with ports and remasters is analogous to the PS4's drought in 2014 until the fall.

And your point wasn't about Wii U games scaling up to the Switch. It was about 3DS games. Or, at least that's what I was responding to

Status
Not open for further replies.