• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeDuhb

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Resetera changed their banner and had a 400+ page thread hyping themselves for this?

That's exactly why people who hype things like this up (and eat up the "rumors" like they are pieces of candy) do nothing but set themselves up for disappointment. It happens almost every Direct and people never learn. This was, for a huge Nintendo fan, a pretty solid direct if you didn't jump on the hype train and expect "E3 2.0".

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh the fact that they announced a bunch of games for each month until E3 in a mini direct makes me conclude the next full Direct is not only soon but also more about the online service. Another direct with a bunch of games would seem weirdly redundant. Unless there just were too many of them (lol).

Not gonna lie, I'd love to see another Direct that covered stuff like the online service and/or Virtual Console. That we don't have information on either thing yet just leads me to believe that it isn't coming for awhile. I'd love for Nintendo to prove me wrong though!

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Because admitting that your new console could have a better lineup instead is really hard, man. Let alone bearing with other more critical consumers.

I'm in the camp that thinks that the line up is great. Considering the year we've just come off the back of, I don't think it's realistic to expect Nintendo to continue that throughout every quarter. There's still 5+ Switch games coming between now and May that I'm buying on day one.

I also don't think PS4 talk is worth bringing up. Many people criticised it because it had too many ports/multiplatform games, but games are games and it's pretty funny how the narrative changes on each side when it suits them best. Remember when many Nintendo fans, although far from all Nintendo fans, would claim PS4 has a worse library than the Wii U because it didn't have exclusives? Now they're gushing over ports. The whole tit for tat is a fallacy. If you don't like ports then fair enough, but understand that Nintendo can't be releasing AAA games every couple of months. 2017 was already unprecedented. I think they deserve at least a little bit of patience.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
That's exactly why people who hype things like this up (and eat up the "rumors" like they are pieces of candy) do nothing but set themselves up for disappointment. It happens almost every Direct and people never learn. This was, for a huge Nintendo fan, a pretty solid direct if you didn't jump on the hype train and expect "E3 2.0".

You'd think the word 'mini' would actually mean something when it comes to expectations.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
So wtf was all those posts by various developers/publishers hyping up this Direct but ended up being a no show?

Anyway I was reading the last 2 pages and my god you people sure are selfish...what did you expect another Zelda and another Mario? I'm pretty happy with this line up and we are witnessing a miracle, we got a good amount of third parties riding on Nintendo's boat. INSANE.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Sources for that? I don't expect a regular direct until March/April.

Besides it being a mini direct, which has previously meant there are more directs coming, Nintendo has generally been direct heavy early in the year regardless. I would except at least one direct before March, possibly 2 if they do one for a specific game/series.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So wtf was all those posts by various developers/publishers hyping up this Direct but ended up being a no show?

Anyway I was reading the last 2 pages and my god you people sure are selfish...what did you expect another Zelda and another Mario? I'm pretty happy with this line up and we are witnessing a miracle, we got a good amount of third parties riding on Nintendo's boat. INSANE.

What posts are you referring to? The responses to flame Chibi? If so, I'm pretty sure those were just efforts to get in on the hype. Not meant to be a tease of upcoming games.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, the hype threads are constant entertainment. I feel sorry for those who actually believe in the hype.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
It is pretty significant that this is considered by Nintendo as a mini direct
It would have been a normal direct few years ago

This is why I feel a full size direct for there bigger 2018 games (Fire emblem, Pokemon etc) and a few more indies and smaller games is still coming soon and before E3.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
This is true. For a Mini Direct, it was oddly packed. Seven games announcements, even if most of them are old ports, is still big. Heck, it's bigger than last E3.

and there are also third partis among them.
even the very first official announcement of a game as Dark Souls, a game that would have never been in development for a "kiddy" console as the Wii and the previous Nintendo portables.
I'm critic toward Nintendo for many things about the Switch but ther have been very positive things in this MINI direct

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I just signed up after lurking the hype thread(s) for three full days.

I had pretty low expectation for this Direct, but I'm still mostly disappointed. For reference, I was expecting firmware update, Kirby, Yoshi, Octopath, a Wii U port, an indie sizzle reel with around 6-10 games, Dark Souls, and at least a cinematic for Fire Emblem. This is somehow more underwhelming than that. Maybe I just happen to be the exact wrong audience for pretty much everything announced today. I really wish the Mario Sports game had ended up being Strikers. It's not only (probably) the best of all the Mario Sports games, but it just makes sense in this particular year, what with the World Cup and all. I will probably finally end up playing TWEWY after years of being guilted into it, so that's cool.

My biggest takeaway is the absence of Fire Emblem. The fact that it wasn't revealed probably means that it's not coming out until Q3/4, and therefore it will probably have a huge presence at E3. I don't think FE is hot enough to prop up the latter half of the year on its own. Hopefully Smash and/or Animal Crossing are announced alongside it.

Dec 20, 2017
I'm very confused by people who think something literally titled a 'mini direct,' announced with zero pre-planned fanfare or warning is a complete look at Nintendo's 2018. Like they didn't even talk about Yoshi, a game we all know is coming this year and that was announced last year.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
The prospect of seeing the new Fire Emblem terrifies me.
It'll be either really ugly or really pandering, or both.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I'm talking about after launch, the release period from Jan 2014 to August 2014 was barren as hell for the PS4 outside of Wolfenstein, MLB, and Infamous. And again, those 3rd party games in 2014 didn't arrive until fall of 2014, nearly a year after the PS4 released. That's what I'm talking about. The current "dought" that's filled with ports and remasters is analogous to the PS4's drought in 2014 until the fall.

And your point wasn't about Wii U games scaling up to the Switch. It was about 3DS games. Or, at least that's what I was responding to

To your first post I guess there wasn't any third party games that released in the first half of 2014? Watch dogs was May 2014, Dark souls 2 came out in march of 2014, South park stick of truth came out March 2014, Metal Gear Solid ground zero came out march 2014, Elder scrolls online came out April 2014, Plants vs Zombies:Garden warfare came out February 2014, Diablo 3 reaper of souls came out March 2014. ANd that's with me leaving a bunch out like child of light, valiant hearts among others.

So I don't get what your talking about?

To your second though they wouldn't need to create new assets as some of the games would scale well with just being rendered out at 1080p.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Hmm we're probably still due for another major Direct before E3.

There's still a lot of releases to talk about before E3 and this Direct didn't offer much in the way of details.

I still hope we get some kind of tease for what we can look forward to for E3 before it happens.

Like, a nice tease or something that Prime 4 and FE will be a focus.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Or Fire Emblem, for that matter. There's probably a lot we are yet to hear.

Or all the non-traditional and new IPs and new ways to use the hardware that was promised for 2018.

I seriously think we may be getting another January Direct. I'm keeping the Chibi Robo eyes on my avatar until February just in case.

I've noticed that most of the top posters in that thread that I've seen have come away from it pretty happy.

Don't know why the "wow I wonder how all of those people in the hype thread feel NOW" narrative is coming from lol.

We're all doing just fine

Well part of it was probably me enjoying posting in the thread more than I was actually looking forward to the Direct.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm we're probably still due for another major Direct before E3.

There's still a lot of releases to talk about before E3 and this Direct didn't offer much in the way of details.

I still hope we get some kind of tease for what we can look forward to for E3 before it happens.

Like, a nice tease or something that Prime 4 and FE will be a focus.
There has, without fail, been a big Direct every year in between January and E3 since Nintendo has started doing them.

There will 100% be one before E3

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
When do we expect the next "proper" Direct? March? Stuff like Pikmin and Fire Emblem still need a platform to be formally revealed, and I don't think they're going to wait for E3 to do that considering stuff like Animal Crossing, Smash and Metroid will likely be the focus at the show.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Really excited about Darksouls on the Switch since I can't play it elsewhere with my setup. Kirby and Mario Tennis look really good too.

Also, wth is that SNK game?

GoreMagala

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
When do we expect the next "proper" Direct? March? Stuff like Pikmin and Fire Emblem still need a platform to be formally revealed, and I don't think they're going to wait for E3 to do that considering stuff like Animal Crossing, Smash and Metroid will likely be the focus at the show.

According to the patterns followed by every other Direct Mini, 20 days or less.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, it could be in January. Apparently they've done "general" mini Directs followed shortly by "general" full Directs. Nintendo is extremely unpredictable, and there is a hell of a lot of information that is due soon.

Michanical

Dec 8, 2017
Oh I understood what you were saying but its just not realistic in a business sense.

For your point to be reinforced, you had to exclude Wii U ports and PC ports (Indies as well). Well yeah, of course that leaves you with nothing. How long do you think games take to make? You chose to discount brand new titles that were made for Switch because they released in 2017. We still have more titles in dev but those don't count for you so I have to assume you've played them all or not many of them peaked your interest. Xenoblade 2 came out in December, and Im pretty sure the game still works fine in Jan 2018 - May 2018 and beyond. And also every major platform holder has software release downtime in the year, Nintendo chose to make that Early 2018.

You have Kirby with a definite date in that Jan - May period. I mention Yoshi because its very possible that it could fall in that period. (but it doesn't count)

Ironically your argument works the same with Sony. If I discount 3rd Party releases and indies, All I have is Shadow of the Colossus in Feb. Id be upset too.

Maybe this will help you out: the genesis of my comments come from my point that, if you own a PC and Wii U, you will have very little to play Jan-May of 2018. Your point about 2017 is relevant for, maybe, 2 months. As of March, we should be seeing a steady stream of non-ports or remakes, either 3rd party or otherwise. For me, I've already played and beaten the majority of my switch games. I expect to finish or get board of the rest of them in the next couple of months.

If the Switch is your first Nintendo console in a while, you prefer portability, or if you don't play games regularly on a PC, then the first half of this year is looking pretty good! You will have plenty to play from Bayo to DK. Nintendo obviously thinks there is a thirst for games around this time, otherwise why not save those for later?

It's just disappointing that, if others are like me, and I've noticed in this thread there are, and consume games around when the are released and like Nintendo enough to own a Wii U, you're Switch will be gathering dust for several months until the inevitable summer releases.

Also, yes, I'm only going to count games with release dates at the moment. Nintendo has a history of delays and for the sake of this thread, I'm focused on what I'll be playing on my switch.

brandonh83

Oct 25, 2017
Wii U was a failure but had some amazing games that absolutely needed ported over to the much more successful console. I don't own a Wii U anymore either so getting this stuff over is great.

Jaime.GGG

Oct 27, 2017
Resetera changed their banner and had a 400+ page thread hyping themselves for this?
Resetera was hyping Switch's 2018 lineup which is still 60% unknown

We know that MP4, Bayonetta 3 and Pokémon games exist, so every posible chance to se the first footage for this games will bring the hype levels to the sky.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
According to the patterns followed by every other Direct Mini, 20 days or less.

Honestly, it could be in January. Apparently they've done "general" mini Directs followed shortly by "general" full Directs. Nintendo is extremely unpredictable, and there is a hell of a lot of information that is due soon.

Interesting. If I had to guess, we'll see it happen before Bayonetta 1/2 drops in mid-February. We've still seen relatively little of those games and I'm sure Nintendo will want to talk about them and other Indie titles incoming. Plus! Dragon Quest Heroes still seems to be on the cards if rumours are to be believed. This mini-Direct doesn't feel like it told the whole story for Q1 and 2.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't set a foot in that hype thread and I'm completely satisfied. We're getting Dark Souls for the Switch. People thought that was crazy talk last year.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
The question is do you guys think they reveal fire emblem and whatever the July and August games are at E3? They almost always have a hype cycle going from 4-6months sometimes more.

I wouldn't be shocked if they do a reveal/first trailer for some more games in Feb/March, so they can start the hype cycle while then doing gameplay/dedicated stuff about Kirby, Mario Tennis etc...

February really wouldn't shock me to have another direct so they can do a story/in depth gameplay for Kirby.

E3 could still "reveal" 3-4 games for the fall and have real trailers for Metroid, Pokemon, Bayonetta for 2019 or even 2020 games

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Any news on the Wolfenstein II port?

Also, this community disappointingly goes from excited camaraderie laden ecstasy to bitching about everything suuuper quick. Almost makes me nostalgic.

GeeDuhb

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
VC still a glaring elephant in the room.

They seriously need to get on it.

If this really is all that is coming through May, a VC release somewhere in the next few months makes a ton of sense.

You'd think the word 'mini' would actually mean something when it comes to expectations.

The problem is, the "hype" was already at 1000% before the "mini" in the title (which was stealth dropped) was even revealed.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
The question is do you guys think they reveal fire emblem and whatever the July and August games are at E3? They almost always have a hype cycle going from 4-6months sometimes more.

I wouldn't be shocked if they do a reveal/first trailer for some more games in Feb/March, so they can start the hype cycle while then doing gameplay/dedicated stuff about Kirby, Mario Tennis etc...

February really wouldn't shock me to have another direct so they can do a story/in depth gameplay for Kirby.

E3 could still "reveal" 3-4 games for the fall and have real trailers for Metroid, Pokemon, Bayonetta for 2019 or even 2020 games

Recent E3s primarily focus on games released by the end of the year. Metroid Prime 4 was the big exception last year.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Any news on the Wolfenstein II port?

Also, this community disappointingly goes from excited camaraderie laden ecstasy to bitching about everything suuuper quick. Almost makes me nostalgic.

Don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch. I think the reaction has been okay. At least I haven't seen any meltdowns.

Most people seem pretty enthusiastic about this showing. It didn't blow my mind or anything but it was good. Definitely really excited for a number of these games.

ITSMILNER

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen some talk that after a mini Direct a full Direct has followed within 20days and that a blank space is still showing on the Japanese website.

Do people believe we may have more soon?

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, people hating on this, sorry you didn't get Half Life 3.

That Fe game looked cool, I've played most Wii U games expect Bayonetta so I will grab that at least.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
A reason I'm willing to bet why this Direct was so easily leaked is because it had lots of third party stuff, so lots of more people and companies were involved.

Plus Kirby, Yoshi, and Pokemon.
I'm still surprised Yoshi didn't make this Direct as it was given a playable demo last year at E3.

But, Woolly World took a hella long time too. Maybe GoodFeel is just slow

Status
Not open for further replies.